Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

this may be very unpopular , but I don't like the world cup

Unpopular, but you're far from alone ;) I am bored to absolute tears by football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Bob Dylan, The Beatles and Queen make my ears bleed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Nonsense. How exactly am I relieving a craving if I have a cigarette every 6 months and love it to bits ?

The same fascists would have apoplexy if someone tried to ban something near and dear to themselves , like beer for example . Or how about steaks , lets force you to be a vegan and see how calm you would be .
    Whats that I hear from you ? My rights etc etc . Sorry I cant hear you above the sound of ''Animal cruelty , heart attack from saturated fat etc risks blah blah blah etc '
    I don't really have an opinion on whether tobacco products should be banned or not, but steak and beer (unless abused) don't have anywhere near as high a cancer risk as smoking does, and the effects of them on other people aren't on a par with passive smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Magaggie wrote: »
    I don't really have an opinion on whether tobacco products should be banned or not, but steak and beer (unless abused) don't have anywhere near as high a cancer risk as smoking does, and the effects of them on other people aren't on a par with passive smoking.

ah but saturated fat , animal cruelty etc etc

You see ... once you go down the road of banning things because you dont like them , then everyone else will want to ban the stuff you like too because they dont like them and they will be well versed in articulating their justifications too . Either we live in a tolerant liberal democracy or we dont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think we should ban people from needlessly banning things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Nonsense. How exactly am I relieving a craving if I have a cigarette every 6 months and love it to bits ?

The same fascists would have apoplexy if someone tried to ban something near and dear to themselves , like beer for example . Or how about steaks , lets force you to be a vegan and see how calm you would be .
    Whats that I hear from you ? My rights etc etc . Sorry I cant hear you above the sound of ''Animal cruelty , heart attack from saturated fat etc risks blah blah blah etc '

Sorry, I can barely read your post because I'm crying at the thought of you being deprived of your biannual cigarette.

I don't drink - and I don't particularly like alcohol or the culture surrounding it - but there are no logical arguments for banning it. Most drinkers are capable of drinking in moderation, and don't consume enough to cause any lasting harm. The same can't be said for most smokers.
    You see ... once you go down the road of banning things because you dont like them , then everyone else will want to ban the stuff you like too because they dont like them and they will be well versed in articulating their justifications too . Either we live in a tolerant liberal democracy or we dont.

Living in a tolerant, liberal democracy shouldn't mean tolerating one of the most evil industries in the world - an industry that has made billions from getting children hooked on carcinogens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Magaggie wrote: »
    An unbalanced diet is almost as bad as smoking as far as cancer goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

RayM wrote: »
    Sorry, I can barely read your post because I'm crying at the thought of you being deprived of your biannual cigarette.

I won't be deprived. However I sense you were deprived at some stage in your life.

I don't drink - and I don't particularly like alcohol or the culture surrounding it - but there are no logical arguments for banning it. Most drinkers are capable of drinking in moderation, and don't consume enough to cause any lasting harm. The same can't be said for most smokers.

You did seem like a dry shyte to me when I saw your earlier posts.
    Living in a tolerant, liberal democracy shouldn't mean tolerating one of the most evil industries in the world - an industry that has made billions from getting children hooked on carcinogens.

What a flair for the dramatic you have. The ''what if children argument'' can be abused to ban absolutely everything. It could be used to ban the internet and deprive you of your voice. [which in fairness would be the only upside :pac: ] . Kids grow up to be adults and enjoy adult things. You would keep us all at the kids stage of development. Parental responsibility is where it's at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I hate nationalism and patriotism. I think the worst way to categorise people is by their place of birth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I won't be deprived. However I sense you were deprived at some stage in your life.

You did seem like a dry shyte to me when I saw your earlier posts.

Unsurprisingly, your terms of abuse are about as mature, original and intelligent as your arguments.
    What a flair for the dramatic you have. The ''what if children argument'' can be abused to ban absolutely everything. It could be used to ban the internet and deprive you of your voice. [which in fairness would be the only upside ] . Kids grow up to be adults and enjoy adult things. You would keep us all at the kids stage of development. Parental responsibility is where it's at.

The tactics of the tobacco industry are well-documented. It's hardly 'dramatic' to describe it as evil. And it's hardly inaccurate to state that the vast majority of smokers take up the habit before they're legally old enough to make such a life-changing decision. Getting children hooked - That's how the tobacco industry recruits new customers to replace those who die prematurely.

The tobacco industry doesn't deserve to be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,857 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

My unpopular opinions are.

1) Ireland is one of the best and freest countries in the world, even Europe, and that has been true since independence.
    Perhaps it was one of the freest in Europe in the 30s and 40s, when fascism cast a shadow over much of it. I'd like to see you repeat that line about Ireland being "free" to the victims of the industrial schools and the Magdalene Laundries.
    2) the self flagulating about our past is a form of post colonial hang up. A self hatred. The colonial powers tend not to discuss their crimes.
    How do you define this "self-flagellating"? Is it the mere mention of the crimes inflicted upon the weakest in society (the LGBT, women, children etc)? Is it any sort of comparison between Ireland and Franco's Spain?
    3) Protestantism is more historically guilty of genocide than Catholicism.
    Is that supposed to get Catholicism off the hook? The Mewling Quinn would love you if he was capable of such an act.
    4) the enlightenment led at first to a reduction in human morality and an increase in genocide, colonialism and capital crimes. Fetishing the enlightenment is a privilege of colonial powers.
    Please elaborate upon this. How did the Enlightenment encourage genocide, colonialism and capital crimes? The main colonial powers of Europe (Britain, France, Spain, Portugal etc.) began building their empires in the 16th century, long before the likes of Rousseau and Locke were eggs in their mothers' ovaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

That Dean was a stupidhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

My opinions are almost always ignored, and thus unpopular - I wonder why? :o

A sizable proportion of Boards.ie users are lonely and were bullied at school.

Many also would approve of these monstrosities

Not being smug, nor would I include myself in that category (honestly!), I often get on really well with introverted people, and think I am borderline that way inclined myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Miley Cyrus is one of the unsexiest people on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Many also would approve of these monstrosities...

They're brilliant, them! Be the job with the latest Harley-Davidson XLSFSCCCYZ Fat-Arse Bob Night-Shyte Hawk. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Many also would approve of these monstrosities

Not my cup of tay, and I'm a boot man.

This is what ye want
    http://www.scorpioshoes.com/mens-2/boots-6/grinders-high-ranger-mens-leather-calf-41203-15462_zoom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I don't think the Suarez bite was THAT bad. Obvo a red and a ban- but compared to a tackle that could end a players career or a elbow/headbutt that could cause serious injury to a skull?

(And no, im not a Liverpool fan before anyone says so ha)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wprathead wrote: »
    I don't think the Suarez bite was THAT bad. Obvo a red and a ban- but compared to a tackle that could end a players career or a elbow/headbutt that could cause serious injury to a skull?

I honestly think the guy isnt 100% right in the head. Biting people live on tv and expecting to get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

wprathead wrote: »

I think it perturbs people more because it's animalistic behaviour. It's not something you associate a human being with doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Its kind of an ott punishment for a taboo rather then being very dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

LorMal wrote: »
    I think the worst way to categorise people is by their place of birth.
    The yanks are the worst at doing that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

LorMal wrote: »
    I hate nationalism and patriotism. I think the worst way to categorise people is by their place of birth.

I couldn't DISagree more. I think we need way more pro-Irishness in society in general, especially in schools. AND youngsters should be made do a year in the army.

My unpopular opinion - I hate tattoos.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

newmug wrote: »
    I couldn't DISagree more. I think we need way more pro-Irishness in society in general, especially in schools. AND youngsters should be made do a year in the army.

Why exactly?

Suas11 wrote: »
    That's unpopular?!
    THAT's unpopular?!! :eek:

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Its kind of an ott punishment for a taboo rather then being very dangerous
    It's like punching someone though - surely a pretty serious offence on the sporting field? Particularly when it's not the guy's first time doing so.
    Idiotic thug tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Why exactly?

You'll have to expand a bit, why to what part?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Suas11 wrote: »

I'd ride the hole off her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement