Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

So what if the winners write history? It doesn't change what Hitler/the nazis did.
    Seriously, the mental gymnastics...

In relation to roads being built and the like - much of it was via slave labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'm not pro-Hitler or anything (never thought i'd have to explain that) but even if he or the Nazi's had an actual good idea it would never be used now because of the stigma of being attached to him/them.

Winners write the history etc.....

A lot of modern medicine and weaponry is based on human experimentation carried out on Hitlers orders so in that way some of his work is being used now a days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Magaggie wrote: »
    So what if the winners write history? It doesn't change what Hitler/the nazis did.

My point is that everything he/they did automatically became a terrible idea because it is associated with him/them.

Seems a little bit short-sighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

In relation to roads being built and the like - much of it was via slave labour.

I think the only problem when analyzing the Nazis and Hitler is the tendency of people to hold them up as the face of evil, inhuman monsters, etc. I think it's very important to remember that it is people who do these things, and these people get into power for a reason, and it's not because they're "evil". If we always think of people like Hitler as being monsters we're be less likely to recognize dictators and regimes like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

My point is that everything he/they did automatically became a terrible idea because it is associated with him/them.

Seems a little bit short-sighted.

I don't think it's as simple as that. Just off the top of my head, the US made use of their rocket scientists like Werner Von Braun to work on the space programme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I'm not pro-Hitler or anything (never thought i'd have to explain that)

:D

Along the lines of "I'm not racist, but, ....".

I think the only problem when analyzing the Nazis and Hitler is the tendency of people to hold them up as the face of evil, inhuman monsters, etc. I think it's very important to remember that it is people who do these things, and these people get into power for a reason, and it's not because they're "evil". If we always think of people like Hitler as being monsters we're be less likely to recognize dictators and regimes like that again.
    Oh I agree. I'm suspicious though of people who downplay what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Oh I agree. I'm suspicious though of people who downplay what they did.

Oh yeah. I wouldn't be in any way condoning that. It's very important to remember exactly what they did and learn from it. I just think there needs to be balance with how we assess the past. I mean, the Nazis were elected into government and from there set about "destroying democracy", as Hitler put it himself. But obviously there was something about the Nazis that appealed to the ordinary German, and when you look at why and how the Nazis got into power, things suddenly don't seem so black and white. I don't think anyone votes for someone thinking that they'll become what the Nazis were, especially back then before everyone knew what fascism looked and sounded like, as we do today. The Nazis (and Mussolini to an extent) kind of provided the example for future generations to recognize regimes like that again and I just think it's important to bear in mind that there are often very reasonable (sometimes scarily reasonable) explanations for why regimes like that get into power.

Yep, the way they gained control of the populace was very insidious. And the system was run like any state is - lots of public sector clerks stamping forms and filing records; it wasn't a bunch of "evil" maniacs cackling amongst themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Links234 wrote: »
    I find it a bit odd that when referencing the atrocities of WWII, some folks will refer to the Nazis rather than Germans as a whole, but the Japanese instead of the imperial army. Not saying that the Japanese military weren't as bad, they were, just noticing an interesting distinction.
    Ive nothing against either nations personally, I love Japanese craftsmanship and certain cultural values, I guess every nation has a dark period in their past

the Japanese-Americans were put into special POW camps in America even tho they were innocent of any crimes.

20 years ago in Rwanda there was 1 half of a country wiping out the other half because they believed they were physically and mentally superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Batman and Robin the 1997 joel schumacker film often gets called one of the worst movies ever and a 'bastardization' of the series, but I quite like it especially Arnie as mr. Freeze. I think its a great watch if not taken too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Bringing your kids to the Body and Soul festival is weird. All the kids I saw there looked bored and miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Batman and Robin the 1997 joel schumacker film often gets called one of the worst movies ever and a 'bastardization' of the series, but I quite like it especially Arnie as mr. Freeze. I think its a great watch if not taken too seriously.

Yeah if you view it as a farcical throw-back to the campy 60's TV show it's pretty great.

Similar to this, I genuinely believe Alien3 to be a classic of the sci-fi genre.
    One of my all time favs.

Shame it gets **** on so badly, what people really wanted was "Aliens2". I'm glad they went in a more interesting direction.

The Godfather Part 3 is a good movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

The Godfather Part 3 is a good movie

Only good thing about that movie was the ending, and even that felt rushed and abrupt.

compared to the others its not as good, because you cant really get better anyway. maybe also because it was anti Roman Catholic church, but we are still learning how much of a criminal organization it actually is. they supported fascism, which is the reason the Vatican state exists ,and gives them more immunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

compared to the others its not as good, because you cant really get better anyway. maybe also because it was anti Roman Catholic church, but we are still learning how much of a criminal organization it actually is. they supported fascism, which is the reason the Vatican state exists ,and gives them more immunity.

Wrong thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I think the manufacture, supply and possession of all tobacco products should be banned, regardless of how many jobs would be lost as a result, or how much money they raise in taxation. People who claim that smoking is a "choice" and that banning it would infringe upon their "rights" are idiots. It's not a choice - it's an addiction. And addiction deprives you of the ability to choose. You don't enjoy cigarettes - you're just temporarily relieving the craving for one.

I also think it's bizarre - not to mention utterly appalling - that Boards.ie has a Smoking forum, and that it's in the 'Rec' category, rather than in 'Science' as a sub-forum of 'Long-term Illness'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's a book you'd probably like called "Vatican Exposed, money, murder and the mafia"

It explores the theory held by some of how the Vatican became so wealthy in the 20th century. A fascinating read but I wouldn't take everything in it as being 'gospel' either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

My unpopular opinions are.

1) Ireland is one of the best and freest countries in the world, even Europe, and that has been true since independence.
    2) the self flagulating about our past is a form of post colonial hang up. A self hatred. The colonial powers tend not to discuss their crimes.
    3) Protestantism is more historically guilty of genocide than Catholicism.
    4) the enlightenment led at first to a reduction in human morality and an increase in genocide, colonialism and capital crimes. Fetishing the enlightenment is a privilege of colonial powers.

Not that Catholicism is free from guilt, far from it, but it's generally over criticised in English speaking Anglo influenced cultures.

Ps am not a believer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

RayM wrote: »
    I think the manufacture, supply and possession of all tobacco products should be banned, regardless of how many jobs would be lost as a result, or how much money they raise in taxation. People who claim that smoking is a "choice" and that banning it would infringe upon their "rights" are idiots. It's not a choice - it's an addiction. And addiction deprives you of the ability to choose. You don't enjoy cigarettes - you're just temporarily relieving the craving for one.

I also think it's bizarre - not to mention utterly appalling - that Boards.ie has a Smoking forum, and that it's in the 'Rec' category, rather than in 'Science' as a sub-forum of 'Long-term Illness'.

Well Said, detest smokers completely, I consider it a form of Darwinism considering it is only horrible people who do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Stinicker wrote: »
    Well Said, detest smokers completely, I consider it a form of Darwinism considering it is only horrible people who do it.

But it's not strictly Darwinism as they tend to take a lot of innocent non smokers with them too! It is so fúcking selfish. I would ban it before A list drugs to be honest, at least if you snort Coke it is only you you are hurting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

cactusgal wrote: »
    Bringing your kids to the Body and Soul festival is weird. All the kids I saw there looked bored and miserable.
    Could be worse. Seen a family camping at oxygen 2005. That amount of skangers and scumbag behaviour should not be witnessed by kids.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I think the manufacture, supply and possession of all tobacco products should be banned, regardless of how many jobs would be lost as a result, or how much money they raise in taxation.

Yes because, as we know, the current drug war has been an overwhelming success so far for the state. (:rolleyes:) All this is going to do hand over even more business to the drug lords.
    It's not a choice - it's an addiction. And addiction deprives you of the ability to choose. You don't enjoy cigarettes - you're just temporarily relieving the craving for one.

Cigarettes are not the only thing that one can become addicted to. Would you like to see alcohol banned? Gambling? Of course, there are quite a few things that one can become addicted to as addiction is more psychological than physiological.

Well, when smoking gets classed as a "Long Term Illness" then I'm sure they'll move it. That could be quite a while yet though.

BTW, I'm a non-smoker and have never smoked in my life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

What an utterly ridiculous statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Wilberto wrote: »
    Yes because, as we know, the current drug war has been an overwhelming success so far for the state. (:rolleyes:) All this is going to do hand over even more business to the drug lords.

Most smokers want to quit. In comparison with other drugs, the 'benefits' of smoking are somewhat limited. Also, it's impossible to hide the smell of tobacco smoke - would it be worth risking a criminal record for? For some people, maybe, but the majority of smokers would simply switch to legal methods of nicotine ingestion, and/or quit altogether. High prices definitely hand business to the drug lords. An all-out ban would not.
    Wilberto wrote:
    Cigarettes are not the only thing that one can become addicted to. Would you like to see alcohol banned? Gambling? Of course, there are quite a few things that one can become addicted to as addiction is more psychological than physiological.

Ah, the old "what about alcohol?" argument. Most people can consume alcohol without becoming addicted. Most people can gamble without becoming addicted. The same cannot be said for cigarettes. Almost all smokers become addicted before they're even old enough to make such a life-changing (and shortening) decision.
    Wilberto wrote:
    Well, when smoking gets classed as a "Long Term Illness" then I'm sure they'll move it. That could be quite a while yet though.

Addiction is an illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Nonsense. How exactly am I relieving a craving if I have a cigarette every 6 months and love it to bits ?

The same fascists would have apoplexy if someone tried to ban something near and dear to themselves , like beer for example . Or how about steaks , lets force you to be a vegan and see how calm you would be .
    Whats that I hear from you ? My rights etc etc . Sorry I cant hear you above the sound of ''Animal cruelty , heart attack from saturated fat etc risks blah blah blah etc '

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nonsense. How exactly am I relieving a craving if I have a cigarette every 6 months and love it to bits ?

The same fascists would have apoplexy if someone tried to ban something near and dear to themselves , like beer for example . Or how about steaks , lets force you to be a vegan and see how calm you would be .
    Whats that I hear from you ? My rights etc etc . Sorry I cant hear you above the sound of ''Animal cruelty , heart attack from saturated fat etc risks blah blah blah etc '

Depends on whether you eat steak and spit it out into a vegetarian's face.

No problem with smokers - they pay some of my tax for me :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

this may be very unpopular , but I don't like the world cup

• Advertisement

Addiction as an illness is debatable - it is self inflicted to be fair, unlike illness.
    My unpopular opinions are.

1) Ireland is one of the best and freest countries in the world, even Europe, and that has been true since independence.
    Without a doubt.
    the self flagulating about our past is a form of post colonial hang up. A self hatred. The colonial powers tend not to discuss their crimes.
    I agree the self flagellation exists but I think it's more to do with e.g. the republican movement and parochialism and the attitudes ingrained in people by the catholic church. I think the British are very happy to acknowledge the wrongdoings of the empire back in the day - don't know about other colonial powers; I'd imagine Dutch and Germans would be quite apologetic, French... less so.
    3) Protestantism is more historically guilty of genocide than Catholicism.
    This is something that can't be an opinion - it's either a fact or it isn't. What causes you to believe this?
    That's it yeh, only horrible people smoke. What age are you? :confused:
    (Smoking itself is awful btw).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement