Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

tanko wrote: »
    I'm disappointed with how they've turned out, had some heifers off him that looked like lovely animals when they were young but just turned into hungry cows that wouldn't feed a calf or themselves. You'd wonder where the grass/silage was going in them, it's like feeding a black hole.

I see on ICBF that the bulls/bullocks off him killed out at good weights but poor fat scores, they seem to have been hard finished.
    The lack of milk off his cows is disappointing also.
    I've almost given up on using Lim bulls to improve milk and cows here, Sim and Saler cross cows are working out better.

Have you tried Sim/LIm x. heifers.
    I have had some of them in the past and I was pleased enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Have you tried Sim/LIm x. heifers.
    I have had some of them in the past and I was pleased enough.

I've had them here. Great cows. Only downside is the white forehead carries tru to the calves. Colour snobs don't like them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I’d an on-dit pbr bull a few years ago.....it was impossible to put weight on him, spoke to another lad that had a few of them....all stars etc but never again... ondit reminds me of Graham’s Apache....he was the best bull for milk etc etc etc there isn’t a word about him now or I’d say much of his stock left.

I've one Grahams Apache cow here, she's had three calves so far, she has lots if milk but she's off a 3/4 bred AA cow who had plenty. Had a few bulls off him who killed out very well iirc. I'd use Apache again if he could be got but i wouldn't use ONI again.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I'm disappointed with how they've turned out, had some heifers off him that looked like lovely animals when they were young but just turned into hungry cows that wouldn't feed a calf or themselves. You'd wonder where the grass/silage was going in them, it's like feeding a black hole.

I see on ICBF that the bulls/bullocks off him killed out at good weights but poor fat scores, they seem to have been hard finished.
    The lack of milk off his cows is disappointing also.

This is that on-dit heifer I was on about Tanko. Shes Plain but a big strong heifer. Not very maternal looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

RobinBanks wrote: »
    This is that on-dit heifer I was on about Tanko. Shes Plain but a big strong heifer. Not very maternal looking.

Whats the golden lady behind her by?

• Advertisement

Whats the golden lady behind her by?

She is a VCR twin.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

She is a VCR twin.

Very nice, twin heifers was it?
    I really liked vcr, our oldest cow is vcr she's just after calving an hour ago, she's a great breeder

They do have great length and square ends alrite.
    Does her mother have much milk?

They do have great length and square ends alrite.
    Does her mother have much milk?

Ya her mother is a great Milker. She's a pxu ch cow

Very nice, twin heifers was it?
    I really liked vcr, our oldest cow is vcr she's just after calving an hour ago, she's a great breeder

Ya, her sister is in pin there aswell

• Advertisement

I don't see much wrong with her. :rolleyes:
    You could put a thick muscley type bull on her after the first year.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I don't see much wrong with her. :rolleyes:
    You could put a thick muscley type bull on her after the first year.

Just on that topic Patsy, what muscley type bulls would you suggest? I have allot of muscly type cows that I would give EBY and 2014 to but not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Gudstock

Is a Blonde a good cross on those good golden continentals? Produce another golden calf?

Just on that topic Patsy, what muscley type bulls would you suggest? I have allot of muscly type cows that I would give EBY and 2014 to but not the other way around

Excel (lm4027) with Bova is a ball of muscle. His calves are exceptionally quiet too. Not for heifers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Excel (lm4027) with Bova is a ball of muscle. His calves are exceptionally quiet too. Not for heifers though.

What about Ernevalley Madison @ Dovea?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrimite

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    What's the youngest people here calf down heifers at. I've a bunch of heifers lm, si & sax. Good stong heifers but there's 3 in the bunch that wood be calving at 21 months if I put them with the bull now.
    Basically should I not bull them till mid April?

Thanks in advance.

We don't bull heifers until at least 2 years old, calving nearer 3.
    It works for us as we run cows and calves on mountain ground for the summer and in previous years, when we calved heifers at 2 years old, they struggled badly in September/October months when grass strength starts to lessen. Losing flesh and calf not thriving so had to feed meal to keep them going. At 3yo they just seem to cope better rearing the calf come the back end.

He looks like a big muscle machine, his CD has been creeping up too.
    He carries the CH double muscle gene.

Do you give EBY to the bigger ones and LM2014 to the smaller ones?

Have you ever tried Gamin ZGM, he's very easy calved and brings serious muscle.

Excel is even more muscley then Gamin. Not as stylish though.

Yes, EBY to the cows that are heavily muscled and 2014 to less muscled cows / heifers. I normally just get whatever Dovea have because thy are in my area. I would like to get a pot so that i could get straws from other companies. Heard allot about Gamin and would like to try him.

• Advertisement

I saw him selling at Roscrea. Smashing looking bull. Calving as Tanko said would be a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I saw him selling at Roscrea. Smashing looking bull. Calving as Tanko said would be a concern.

Might try him on a mature cow
    Would the daughters have milk?

Is he much harder calved than Gamin?

Is he much harder calved than Gamin?

Have only 2 calves on the ground by him. Both off small cows. He's a bit harder than average I'd say. You could use him on good calvers, no problem.

Might try him on a mature cow
    Would the daughters have milk?

He has no daughters calved yet, but icbf have him 5 star for milk on his breeding. Expect him to breed big frames. His functionality is very poor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Yes, EBY to the cows that are heavily muscled and 2014 to less muscled cows / heifers. I normally just get whatever Dovea have because thy are in my area. I would like to get a pot so that i could get straws from other companies. Heard allot about Gamin and would like to try him.

Is it limousines only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I always thought that eby was better suited to a taller cow/heifer to inject muscle and if black to bring red. Am I wrong? Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I always thought that eby was better suited to a taller cow/heifer to inject muscle and if black to bring red. Am I wrong? Tks.

Equal chance of any limousin bull of bringing black or red calved off any given cow,
    He's suited to taller cows but is a heifers bull in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Amateur Farmer

I've an Excel weanling heifer and she's extremely quiet, comes up to you in the field for a rub and scratch.
    I also have an Excel bull calf out of a Gamin heifer - similar to the heifer he's very quiet as well.
    The bull calf had a 59kg birth weight and needed a very slight pull (no jack needed, a small pull without the need for ropes). I'd consider Gamin's to be great calvers and a Gamin heifer probably has similar calving ability as a cow having her second calf.

• Advertisement

I've an Excel weanling heifer and she's extremely quiet, comes up to you in the field for a rub and scratch.
    I also have an Excel bull calf out of a Gamin heifer - similar to the heifer he's very quiet as well.
    The bull calf had a 59kg birth weight and needed a very slight pull (no jack needed, a small pull without the need for ropes). I'd consider Gamin's to be great calvers and a Gamin heifer probably has similar calving ability as a cow having her second calf.

What is your Gamin heifer like for milk?

Advertisement