Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    What's the code for imperator???

I used Derren Declan on some cows a few years ago, overall easy enough calved, had a couple of big framed calves that needed a slight pull.
    He works best on cows with a bit of shape and muscle.

Did you keep any heifers off Apostle, a couple of his heifers here were hopeless to calve, they weren't here for long.

Lisnacrann fifty cent is probably the most suitable for heifers but you'd want plenty of shape in the heifer as he's a plain bull.
    He brings plenty of size even though he has a very low skeletal score on ICBF.

I'd agree that an easy calving Lim or Saler would be a better option for heifers.

Lm2014 very hard beat,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, LM2014 is a serious bull, best bull around for heifers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrimite

What's the code for imperator???

I used Derren Declan on some cows a few years ago, overall easy enough calved, had a couple of big framed calves that needed a slight pull.
    He works best on cows with a bit of shape and muscle.

Did you keep any heifers off Apostle, a couple of his heifers here were hopeless to calve, they weren't here for long.

Lisnacrann fifty cent is probably the most suitable for heifers but you'd want plenty of shape in the heifer as he's a plain bull.
    He brings plenty of size even though he has a very low skeletal score on ICBF.

I'd agree that an easy calving Lim or Saler would be a better option for heifers.

Imperator code is SI2187 though he’s dead now so straws not easily picked up.

As for APZ we had 4 bulls and 1 heifer. The heifer was small and thick beef type so we didn’t keep her. APZ daughters don’t score well on pelvis size but I have seen some super cows off him calving to CH and BB without hassle. Would definitely use him again!

As for LM2014 I have a muscled Sim heifer (she’s Sim x mother and Sim father) in pic will get a straw of him or EBY in the spring. She’s not the type we’d normally serve but her mother is a Smashing cow getting near the end of her time so hoping this one continues to do the job! What do yous think would suit best?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Yeah, LM2014 is a serious bull, best bull around for heifers at the moment.

Do you think LM2014 would be good option to breed replacements? Think someone questioned docility before?

Do you think LM2014 would be good option to breed replacements? Think someone questioned docility before?

I only have two calves off him from last spring, a bull and a heifer.
    I'd rate docility as average for lims. I wouldn't think he'd be a bull to breed replacements of, not much milk in him and too much muscle in their back ends.
    I suppose it will depend what he's crossed on. Time will tell.

• Advertisement

antrimite wrote: »

As for APZ we had 4 bulls and 1 heifer. The heifer was small and thick beef type so we didn’t keep her. APZ daughters don’t score well on pelvis size but I have seen some super cows off him calving to CH and BB without hassle. Would definitely use him again!

As for LM2014 I have a muscled Sim heifer (she’s Sim x mother and Sim father) in pic will get a straw of him or EBY in the spring. She’s not the type we’d normally serve but her mother is a Smashing cow getting near the end of her time so hoping this one continues to do the job! What do yous think would suit best?

If she was mine i'd put a Saler like Knottown Roy on her. If you go for a Lim i think LM 2014 would be better than EBY there, would bring more size.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrimite

If she was mine i'd put a Saler like Knottown Roy on her. If you go for a Lim i think LM 2014 would be better than EBY there, would bring more size.

Cheers Tanko I’ll check him out.. haven’t much experience with Saler

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

I only have two calves off him from last spring, a bull and a heifer.
    I'd rate docility as average for lims. I wouldn't think he'd be a bull to breed replacements of, not much milk in him and too much muscle in their back ends.
    I suppose it will depend what he's crossed on. Time will tell.

Thanks. Suppose there’s no perfect solution. Bavardage seems to have been used a good bit lately for lm bulls with high replacement index but then there seems to be a question over his daughter fertility level. Suppose matching each cow with AI bull best way to manage in theory!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Knell would be another option for you. I had 5 heifers calve to him in autumn. They were fair strong heifers calving but no problems and I had been worried about him. Calves are in yards going through creep gates so a lot of handling or seeing us coming with meal and they’re fairly biddable. I’d be happy enough with the calves they don’t look like all that much but they’re gaining weight well and thriving.

I tried fifty cent and wasn’t a bit impressed but I have to say that the calf has performed very well since she came off the cow. My Da doesn’t like her because she’s noisy but I think I’ll talk him round and she will bull in May.

Thanks. Suppose there’s no perfect solution. Bavardage seems to have been used a good bit lately for lm bulls with high replacement index but then there seems to be a question over his daughter fertility level. Suppose matching each cow with AI bull best way to manage in theory!

Never used Bavardage but have cows off his sire On-Dit here and am not impressed with them at all, bad feet, not great for milk and poor fertility.

I'd use Earp or QCD to breed replacements, nice heifers and good bulls off them.
    They're not for heifers tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Earp 1st calver beguin heifer calf.
    Fair old pull.
    Mammy a little tight & biggish calf.
    That's 2 beguins calved here off heifers, both nice pulls.

I’m surprised to see you had trouble with Beguin. He is boasted for his easy calving. Ive a CH heifer calving at 24 months to him in April. Looking forward to seeing what she has. It’s my first time using Beguin.

Keeping one off him here and have seen nice springers off him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Is their any SI bull out there suitable for heifers?

Bruchag glenfiddich might be worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Cheers Tanko I’ll check him out.. haven’t much experience with Saler

Used him and was happy with him. Sold a 9 month bull calf for 990 in November. Weighed 400kgs too. Will definitely use him again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Who2

I’d two bequin calves this morning. Excellent calves easily born to two first calves.

Who2 wrote: »
    I’d two bequin calves this morning. Excellent calves easily born to two first calves.

Great to hear - throw up a pic later if you can - would love to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Who2 wrote: »

Anyone know what these guys turn out like? I've tried a few Uslan this year, couldn't get Beau in on the day? Only had one other saler off a maiden CH (good size animal,happy enough with her) and kept her, she is to call next month or so to Uslan.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Gudstock

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Anyone know what these guys turn out like? I've tried a few Uslan this year, couldn't get Beau in on the day? Only had one other saler off a maiden CH (good size animal,happy enough with her) and kept her, she is to call next month or so to Uslan.

I have a PZB bull and heifer both off of Sim maidens just a few weeks ago. Heifer looks the pb saler style with curly dark red coat, will defo be kept for breeding. The bull is a fine chunk of a calf, brought some white marking on face and has straight light red coat.
    If you check the online catalogue at Gortaclea mart on a wed night you will often see a few suckler bred Sa bulls. The ones i have seen have a great frame, weight and are U grade types. They seem to be a very decent trade.
    You will often see a few LM on the card bulls that appear suspiciously like SAs....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭White Clover

Gudstock wrote: »
    I have a PZB bull and heifer both off of Sim maidens just a few weeks ago. Heifer looks the pb saler style with curly dark red coat, will defo be kept for breeding. The bull is a fine chunk of a calf, brought some white marking on face and has straight light red coat.
    If you check the online catalogue at Gortaclea mart on a wed night you will often see a few suckler bred Sa bulls. The ones i have seen have a great frame, weight and are U grade types. They seem to be a very decent trade.
    You will often see a few LM on the card bulls that appear suspiciously like SAs....!!

Killed a bunch of saler heifers out of Friesians a couple of years ago. They were AA on the cards, weighed well and graded R. Great cattle.

• Advertisement

Killed a bunch of saler heifers out of Friesians a couple of years ago. They were AA on the cards, weighed well and graded R. Great cattle.

Did you get the Angus bonus on them??:cool:
    I hope they were dehorned, Salers are some cattle to grow horns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Jeez, I thought we just had a weirdo, too wild to be dehorned as a weanling, ran her up the crush twice & twice she got out, so skulled her.
    Vet went too close on one side, so was careful on the other & see it growing downwards now so I'll have to do her again in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

tellmeabit wrote: »

Beguin brings height and length but won't really enhance muscle. Had a bull by him and he wasn't much to look at until near 2 years of age and then he just took off and filled into his frame so he might be a late maturing bull overall. Daughters have heaps of milk too, he's 122 in France for milk, best of all Saler bulls. Ulsan is 109 for milk too, wouldn't be as docile as Beguin but then again it depends on how progeny are dealt with on farm too I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

My heifers is a pzb, stuck with the saler as seems quick route to upping the stars and replacement values. Looking forward to seeing what she brings now and what milk. She is off one of my better line of cows. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

If you see Beguin on the saler Ireland Web site he is an awful looking yoke.
    In the munster catalogue they've a picture of one of his daughters.
    Another Beguin calf last night, nice n tidy up sucking ASAP.

+1 on the horns. I’d a bunch of SA calves there recently and they were born with horns! Put the dehorning paste on them and they still grew! :-)

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    +1 on the horns. I’d a bunch of SA calves there recently and they were born with horns! Put the dehorning paste on them and they still grew! :-)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭White Clover

There was 2 bonus' on them. They weighed much better than same age Angus and they got the Angus bonus too. They were dehorned alright and well done at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sugarbowl wrote: »

Born with horns. How long were they? :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

2 beguins

Advertisement