Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Is it limousines only?

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Amateur Farmer

tanko wrote: »
    What is your Gamin heifer like for milk?

I've two gamin heifers calved down in the past month and both are very good for milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Wha?

Do you only want to use lims? I'd put blue bulls on the lim cows for sure

Do you only want to use lims? I'd put blue bulls on the lim cows for sure

No, I just put lims on the blue cows that I hope to take replacements from. Use different breeds depending on cow

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I’ve a few Gamin straws in the pot for this year. I’m safe enough using him on 2nd calvers?

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    No, I just put lims on the blue cows that I hope to take replacements from. Use different breeds depending on cow

Dromanig king is breeding well,mbp if he's availabke, have seen serious joskins and madison calved off blues, but I wouldn't chance them personally on blue cows,the blue cow here will be getting king

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I’ve a few Gamin straws in the pot for this year. I’m safe enough using him on 2nd calvers?

He’s ideal for them i think.

Dromanig king is breeding well,mbp if he's availabke, have seen serious joskins and madison calved off blues, but I wouldn't chance them personally on blue cows,the blue cow here will be getting king

I have had some great cattle from MBP and I have 1 cow here by him. Big tank of a cow, doesn't appear to have much milk but produces top class yellow ch calves. Carrying a bull calf by loki this year looking forward to seeing him. She had a loki heifer calf last year that had great shape to her.

Looking at the Munster AI book.... how is Curaheen Earp for calving on say a plain 2nd calver? Is he as easy as the book suggests for beef cows?

He's grand for second calvers. I think he's a super bull, breeds a lovely type of heifer and very good bulls.
    The only slight thing i'd fault him on is he lacks a little bit of milk for a Simmental but they'll still have enough.
    He'd be the first Sim bull i'd use.

• Advertisement

He's grand for second calvers. I think he's a super bull, breeds a lovely type of heifer and very good bulls.
    The only slight thing i'd fault him on is he lacks a little bit of milk for a Simmental but they'll still have enough.

Sound advice... thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What about Clonagh Frosty King SI4083? Asking for relative who has a simmental pbr cow (he's not in the society) and wants to add milk.
    Are they square at the back?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭valtra2

I would second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

What about Clonagh Frosty King SI4083? Asking for relative who has a simmental pbr cow (he's not in the society) and wants to add milk.

I had a bull calf by him off a sim x lm springer last year. He's a nice square/ store type of animal nothing too fancy but growing away nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Looking at the Munster AI book.... how is Curaheen Earp for calving on say a plain 2nd calver? Is he as easy as the book suggests for beef cows?

Had a calf of him this year, easy calved and the calf is as quiet as a mouse. He'll actually come to me in the field for a head scratch and he's only a month old. Quietest suckler bred calf I've ever had.

I've a few calves off him from last spring, he should be very good for milk, time will tell .
    He's very easy calved, brings good length, frame and square ends. They're growthy cattle, i think he suits smaller type cows with a bit of shape.
    Have used his full brother XCD a bit here, will have a couple of heifers off him calving in April hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Going to buy a limousin bull in next few weeks to hopefully get some replacements. Cows mainly lm x that I bred myself - so not bursting but ok for milk but would like replacements off them to be more milk as opposed to less.

Priorities for bull would be docility, milk, fertility and generally decent stock then.

Lot of bulls high on replacement index seem to actually be negative for milk.

Just wondering what breeding anyone might recommend?

Going to buy a limousin bull in next few weeks to hopefully get some replacements. Cows mainly lm x that I bred myself - so not bursting but ok for milk but would like replacements off them to be more milk as opposed to less.

Priorities for bull would be docility, milk, fertility and generally decent stock then.

If you're buying on farm, have a look at the mother. You should know if she is milky or not.
    As for the breeding, nothing is guaranteed. ZAG for example should have milk, as his sire and grandsire are high proven for milk. But he turned out to have no milk.
    If the sire is an old bull, then better chance of being proven for milk. Keep an eye on fertility too. Some bulls poor for this while milk might be good. On-Dit for example.
    Start with the figures on ICBF and take it from there.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭adne

Foreman ticks all boxes for replacements but some questions regards Docility.

I have foreman daughters I'm delighted with and temperament is great but they come from quiet cows. Remember the sire only a % of the product!!

Are your foreman daughters big?
    How are the back legs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭adne

Are your foreman daughters big?
    How are the back legs?

Long and stocky low even borderline butty.
    Back legs as a rule fine, perhaps hoof a little small had one badly sickled, there cross bred so that prob helping. Seen a few PBs off him with bad feet

If you're buying on farm, have a look at the mother. You should know if she is milky or not.
    As for the breeding, nothing is guaranteed. ZAG for example should have milk, as his sire and grandsire are high proven for milk. But he turned out to have no milk.
    If the sire is an old bull, then better chance of being proven for milk. Keep an eye on fertility too. Some bulls poor for this while milk might be good. On-Dit for example.
    Start with the figures on ICBF and take it from there.

Thanks. I saw that Ampertaine Gigolo looked like had good figures for milk on ICBF - but maybe too early to see if that’s true - like ZAG. Suppose a more well used bull would be more reliable for that real life replacement info anyway.

Would ai be possible

Would ai be possible

Afraid not. Know it would be best approach to get good replacements but cows would be out, working full time and just want to let bull off and get them in calf ASAP in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Is their any SI bull out there suitable for heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Seanhorse91

I think Dromanig King in Dovea is going to be a super bull to breed replacements. Off Cerberus who will bring size and good calving ability, and is mother is Castleview Candy, who’s meant to be very milky. I’ve a pb bull out of him, ready to be weaned, but has great length to him. Have another Pb incalf to him, hoping for a heifer.
    Here’s my lad as a calf..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Earp 1st calver beguin heifer calf.
    Fair old pull.
    Mammy a little tight & biggish calf.
    That's 2 beguins calved here off heifers, both nice pulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Who2

dodo mommy wrote: »

I put dereen jack and sea fort Gill on a few fair sized heifers and some were grand but a couple of very tight pulls. I’ll be going with lm or sa in future. It’s not worth the chance .

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrimite

dodo mommy wrote: »

Imperator the bull for heifers. Calving figures are top 1%

I tried Apostle on good strong sim heifers a few years ago and had 1 pull out of 5. The rest no bother!

Earp or Declan would def throw the odd big one.

Polled bulls Portroyal Gilmore worth a look too Auroch Deuter good calving figures too

• Advertisement

antrimite wrote: »
    Imperator the bull for heifers. Calving figures are top 1%

I tried Apostle on good strong sim heifers a few years ago and had 1 pull out of 5. The rest no bother!

Earp or Declan would def throw the odd big one.

Polled bulls Portroyal Gilmore worth a look too Auroch Deuter good calving figures too

What's the code for imperator???

I used Derren Declan on some cows a few years ago, overall easy enough calved, had a couple of big framed calves that needed a slight pull.
    He works best on cows with a bit of shape and muscle.

Did you keep any heifers off Apostle, a couple of his heifers here were hopeless to calve, they weren't here for long.

Lisnacrann fifty cent is probably the most suitable for heifers but you'd want plenty of shape in the heifer as he's a plain bull.
    He brings plenty of size even though he has a very low skeletal score on ICBF.

I'd agree that an easy calving Lim or Saler would be a better option for heifers.

Advertisement