Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Anyone got calves from the limousin bull Hellios from bova?
    Have one heifer this year and shes shaping up nicely, easy calved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The man himself, Highlander;

So have myself a couple of Highlander straws in a trade off with the AI man. Best on a muscely cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

So have myself a couple of Highlander straws in a trade off with the AI man. Best on a muscely cow?

Are you getting the Highlander straws? I've never used him...:rolleyes:
    Tanko is the man to answer that.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Are you getting the Highlander straws? I've never used him...:rolleyes:
    Tanko is the man to answer that.

I have four, was going to put one on an ere daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

You did well to get them off him, what straws did you have to give him in exchange?

I’d put him on a medium sized cow with good muscle and decent milk if possible.
    Had a couple of lovely cows of him here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Dromaig King (lm4302) bull calf on left. DOB 1st July
    Loyal (lm4184) heifer on right. DOB 13th June.
    Doing well, starting to fill out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Dromaig King (lm4302) bull calf on left. DOB 1st July
    Loyal (lm4184) heifer on right. DOB 13th June.
    Doing well, starting to fill out

Nice calves
    Lovely style to the heifer, will you keep her?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Nice calves
    Lovely style to the heifer, will you keep her?

Ya definitely. Here’s herself and the mother a few weeks back

Ya definitely. Here’s herself and the mother a few weeks back

Nice outfit
    Allot of LM generations there

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Has anyone ever tried or had any success using CWI 90% sexed semen on heifers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Has anyone ever tried or had any success using CWI 90% sexed semen on heifers?

Used it once on a 2nd calved. Got a heifer. Fine cow

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Used it once on a 2nd calved. Got a heifer. Fine cow[/quote
    Any idea how much a sexed straw would be from cwi. I have one cwi cow here she's nothing special to look at but produces one of the best calfs every year without fail, only fault I have with is her feet I wonder is that coming from cwi?

I’m not certain but i think CWI sexed straws are €40 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Used it once on a 2nd calved. Got a heifer. Fine cow

I have some nice charolais heifers I might order a few and try a few straws on them.

Weighed a Fiston bull calf today for a neighbour as part of Beep. 360Kg and still not 6 months. Serious calf. You'd laugh if you saw him at about 6 weeks. He was as wide as he was tall.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

tanko wrote: »
    I’m not certain but i think CWI sexed straws are €40 each.

Think it was 70 through the AI man for us.

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Used it once on a 2nd calved. Got a heifer. Fine cow[/quote
    Any idea how much a sexed straw would be from cwi. I have one cwi cow here she's nothing special to look at but produces one of the best calfs every year without fail, only fault I have with is her feet I wonder is that coming from cwi?
    I wouldn't say so.bad Feet always seems to run in cow families here

Think it was 70 through the AI man for us.

It might be, i meant 40 yoyos to buy for DIY Ai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

See there on icbf you can see heifer eligabity for the bdgp at the marts. Now it's not on the many heifers but it's handy all the same. I've actually stopped buying replacement heifers in the mart and only buy ones I'd see the parents of.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

What's cwi meant to be for calving? People's experience, not the figures...

I had a heavy pull out of a simx first calver. Bull calf. Big thick head on the calf. Once the head came, the rest wasn't too bad. All OK though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Anyone use LM4360 AHERLA K7 P? I put him on yesterday as something different other than Knell or Zag and interested to hear if anyone has calves on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I had a heavy pull out of a simx first calver. Bull calf. Big thick head on the calf. Once the head came, the rest wasn't too bad. All OK though..

I've used him twice on mature cows.....no issue calved themselves....would not have thought of him as a bull for maiden heifers..

I haven’t used him but i wouldn’t be putting a bull like that on heifers either without expecting trouble especially if it’s a bull calf.
    I’d try LM2014 on heifers if you want to put a Lim on them.
    Hard to beat Saler bulls on heifers for trouble free calving imo.

Used him on 30 months, odd pull, wouldn't be fir tight heifers anyway

Weighed a Fiston bull calf today for a neighbour as part of Beep. 360Kg and still not 6 months. Serious calf. You'd laugh if you saw him at about 6 weeks. He was as wide as he was tall.

This bull weighed 390kg yesterday at the mart. He never got a bit of meal, straight off the cow. It's some weight for a Feb calf. Mother is a black whitehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

This bull weighed 390kg yesterday at the mart. He never got a bit of meal, straight off the cow. It's some weight for a Feb calf. Mother is a black whitehead.

She must be very milky to be at that weight already. What did he make at the ring?

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    She must be very milky to be at that weight already. What did he make at the ring?
    €890 I think. Colour went against him. He was greyish.

Calves are weighing well this year, she’s a good cow
    Sadly as per your later post colour can be an issue

Calves are weighing well this year, she’s a good cow
    Sadly as per your later post colour can be an issue

No offence, but she's a sh!t cow if her calf is only worth 890 let alone a ch bull calf

• Advertisement

No offence, but she's a sh!t cow if her calf is only worth 890 let alone a ch bull calf

God, ye must have very high standards. Like I said, he never got meal. She's a handy cow maybe 575kg. I'm sure he could get better prices from cont type cows with less milk, but he'd have to feed more meal to make up the diff in weight. End of day it's about profit not vanity.

Advertisement