Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

jd06 wrote: »
    This is my fiston cald 4 days old off of a handy size cow. Very impressed with him
    I posted here wondering about his calving difficulty . I used the jack but wasn't a massive pull.

That's a super looking calf, all things considered Fiston is a great bull to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Who2

tanko wrote: »
    I've used QCD a bit, have two cows off him here, they're medium sized and are good breeders, you could put him on the second calver. Auroch James is a nice looking bull but haven't used him.
    If the older cow is a good calver you could try Curaheen Gunshot on her, never tried him tho.

I’ve a gunshot heifer here. She has the makings of a really good cow. Very deep and what I’d class as an ideal cow maker type. I’ve used two simmentals this year, seafort gill on taller type heifers and dereen jack on lower set heifers. Anyone any knowledge of either one?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some advice re Dovea Simmental sires, I’ve a mature chx cow that I’d like to try a Simmental on and her daughter a second calver. Looking for replacements. Have no real experience of Simmentals so any advice is appreciated. Knowing my luck though it will be two bulls:D

Gunshot is breeding great stuff.
    Qcd is leaving nice breeding stock but nothing too fancy
    Nothing born of James yet I think
    Isl will add size

Who2 wrote: »
    I’ve a gunshot heifer here. She has the makings of a really good cow. Very deep and what I’d class as an ideal cow maker type. I’ve used two simmentals this year, seafort gill on taller type heifers and dereen jack on lower set heifers. Anyone any knowledge of either one?

Gill is breeding well from what iv seen. That big farm up the country teeartra (sp?) bought him out of bova.
    Have only seen a few out of Declan, he looks a nice bull though

Gunshot is breeding great stuff.
    Qcd is leaving nice breeding stock but nothing too fancy
    Nothing born of James yet I think
    Isl will add size

Is Gunshot harder calved than average?
    I think QCD breeds a good bull calf as well as a nice heifer.
    Have you tried Curaheen Earp, i think he's a very good bull, nice heifers and good bulls off him.
    Had some Derreen Declan calves last year, decent heifers but was disappointed with the bulls, very plain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Kept a fiston heifer off a Simmental cow and am very happy with her,she had a lim last year before her 2nd birthday and has a beautiful FWO heifer this year.
    Great calver,fertile and has enough milk,a little belligerent thought

Is Gunshot harder calved than average?
    I think QCD breeds a good bull calf as well as a nice heifer.
    Have you tried Curaheen Earp, i think he's a very good bull, nice heifers and good bulls off him.
    Had some Derreen Declan calves last year, decent heifers but was disappointed with the bulls, very plain.

Gunshots figures suggest so but iv not calved him myself. Iv a few in the oven for next spring hopefully.
    Cant bring myself to use earp as he looks like a rig of a bull in his picture, even though I know hes breeding well- I might convert in the future!

I had gunshot on a two and a half year old sh. A bit of a pull but nothing major. I’m waiting on the same cow to calve at the moment and a little bit on the nervous side with the run I’m having with the last stock bull.

Gunshots figures suggest so but iv not calved him myself. Iv a few in the oven for next spring hopefully.
    Cant bring myself to use earp as he looks like a rig of a bull in his picture, even though I know hes breeding well- I might convert in the future!

Earp has bred some savage heifers with a lad I know, is he still available? For some reason I thought he was gone.

That pic is bad alrite but i wouldn't definitely wouldn't judge him on it.
    Have a couple of Frosty King calves this year, like the look of them, have you tried him or Direct Debit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Hi all, looking for some advice re Dovea Simmental sires, I’ve a mature chx cow that I’d like to try a Simmental on and her daughter a second calver. Looking for replacements. Have no real experience of Simmentals so any advice is appreciated. Knowing my luck though it will be two bulls:D

I served an AAx with Dovea Islavale Cracker 11 (ISL) with the hope of getting a heifer that I would keep for breeding.
    Produced a very good type calf - Red and white bull.

That pic is bad alrite but i wouldn't definitely wouldn't judge him on it.
    Have a couple of Frosty King calves this year, like the look of them, have you tried him or Direct Debit?

Had one direct debit, nice heifer calf out of a Dickens heifer. Sold the outfit so I dunno how she turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Billybigbollox

What are the heifers like for height and width at the hips
    That’s the only concern I’d have

They are tall with good lenght and wide heifers.Have another yellow fsz heifer off an ozs lm but she is not as long as those off the saler cows.
    Normally dont keep charolais for replacements but because off good salers I might try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

They are tall with good lenght and wide heifers.Have another yellow fsz heifer off an ozs lm but she is not as long as those off the saler cows.
    Normally dont keep charolais for replacements but because off good salers I might try them.
    Great cross to LM or BB

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Billybigbollox

Are they quiet? I've had a few of them here that were bloody wild, not all of them but some of them. I've heard other people say this about Fiston calves too.
    I wouldn't think he'd be a great bull to keep heifers off but if you couldn't keep them off Saler cows you wouldn't keep them off anything.
    Only one Fiston calf here this year, a bull of an ION X CH cow, not the biggest but lovely shape and muscle to him, i plan to use him a good bit this year.
    Yes they are quiet. We've had about 30 fiston calves and none have been wild.Some u can lay a hand on them easily but they are used to being handled.
    I think you need to use him on cows with a bit of muscle in them like a 3/4 lim or salers. Tends to throw plain calves off plain cows.
    Using clenagh mischief on mature cows this year along with Fiston

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

Dereen Jack seems to be doing the business have a very smart bull calf here, Breeder is friend of mine and breeds great cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Have a fifty cent heifer 13 months old around 480kg to 500kg. Yet to see her cycling. I want to put a straw in her around the end of May but am getting worried she's not coming around. Also I have a p. B limo heifer around 17 months that isn't coming around. Anyone think of a reason why they wouldn't be coming around? All other cows/heifers are cycling fine.

farming93 wrote: »
    Have a fifty cent heifer 13 months old around 480kg to 500kg. Yet to see her cycling. I want to put a straw in her around the end of May but am getting worried she's not coming around. Also I have a p. B limo heifer around 17 months that isn't coming around. Anyone think of a reason why they wouldn't be coming around? All other cows/heifers are cycling fine.

Is it possible that they could be in calf already?
    If you were sure they aren't in calf you could give them a shot of estrumate, if that doesn't work maybe scan them.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Is it possible that they could be in calf already?
    If you were sure they aren't in calf you could give them a shot of estrumate, if that doesn't work maybe scan them.

No definetly not in calf, I've no bull and the fencing is good as well. I might go with the estrumate I was actually considering it. I actually bought in a pedigree maiden heifer who's looking like she's in calf.. Never seen her around in 8.5 months, now she's springing. I'm happy enough either way she'll be in calf to a pedigree limo bull and she's 24months old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭High bike

13 mts is young enough a lot of heifers don’t come in till 15 16 mts here anyway,the other lady should be showing signs at this stage though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I would put a CIDR or PRID Hormone coil in her.
    Then inject her 7 days later with Estrumate or whatever alternative hormone injection your vet stocks.
    Remove the coil on the eight day.
    She is likely to come on heat 2 - 4 days later.

No definetly not in calf, I've no bull and the fencing is good as well. I might go with the estrumate I was actually considering it. I actually bought in a pedigree maiden heifer who's looking like she's in calf.. Never seen her around in 8.5 months, now she's springing. I'm happy enough either way she'll be in calf to a pedigree limo bull and she's 24months old now.

As far as I know estrumate wont work unless they're cycling already

As far as I know estrumate wont work unless they're cycling already

Does it not help to get them started cycling?

Does it not help to get them started cycling?

I'm no expert but I thought that they had to be cycling for estrumate to have any effect

I've never seen a shot of estrumate fail to get a maiden heifer bulling, have used it on cows with some success also but CIDR's or the like work better on cows i find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Can’t remember who asked about lm2014, but this is a Nov bull pbr out of a dancer dam. No issue with him and is docile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Rear view of him. plan to keep him as my next stock bull

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Rear view of him. plan to keep him as my next stock bull

Nice animal our bull has dancer breeding too very happy with him

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Curaheen Gunshot 23mth old heifer off a sim cow with 2 week old LM2014 heifer calf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Anybody have any ZAG cows ?

Advertisement