Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

lads how do ye find ampertaine elgin for calving, bought a young elgin bull last year, lovely bull with very nice pedigree, very easy calving figures like 2 or 3%
    have 7 heifers due to him, some starting to look very bulky indeed, only one calf to him so far and it was a 2nd calver and the calf was very big and serious pull, now it might have been the cow but starting to worry a bit :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 p576131

tanko wrote: »
    Dromanig King:rolleyes:.

I wonder are straws of Brooklands Marco available yet, looks a super bull on paper anyway, unproven yet tho.

You can, we have him used in a big limousin cow here, calving in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Lim x fr bulling, a good thick limo bull that could keep heifers of, dovea or maybe progressive

What did you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

annubis wrote: »
    lads how do ye find ampertaine elgin for calving, bought a young elgin bull last year, lovely bull with very nice pedigree, very easy calving figures like 2 or 3%
    have 7 heifers due to him, some starting to look very bulky indeed, only one calf to him so far and it was a 2nd calver and the calf was very big and serious pull, now it might have been the cow but starting to worry a bit :mad:

Most of Elgin's calving data would be coming from the pedigree cows, so might actually be a bit higher due to lads under reporting. Elite Ice Cream is by Elgin and he's hard calving enough.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

True, it's a week known fact that a calving jack has never been used or a section carried out on a pedigree cow of any breed in this country.
    It's a huge flaw with ICBF CD figures that they almost always give a CD figure to young bulls which is a lot lower than the figure the bull ends up with once his calves start arriving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Who2

Hopefully I’m going to have a very busy End of January next year two stockbulls are flat out and six ai’d yesterday as well. This good weather is all I can think is bringing on the cows. The other six were estrumated heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

Did you not find OKH breeds a bit narrow? Nice quiet cattle though.

Only have 1 of his offspring calved here so far. Just something about them that I like. Have a couple more to be served this year and another couple of calves on the ground this spring. Not many straws left now either from him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What did you go with?

I only seen the teaser after her, hasnt stood yet:rolleyes:, https://www.doveagenetics.ie/products/beef/ernevalley-madison
    I liked the look of that lad, positive for milk,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

fanmanad wrote: »
    Only have 1 of his offspring calved here so far. Just something about them that I like. Have a couple more to be served this year and another couple of calves on the ground this spring. Not many straws left now either from him

Nice length to okh and they have nice heads but are inclined to be a little narrow

I only seen the teaser after her, hasnt stood yet:rolleyes:, https://www.doveagenetics.ie/products/beef/ernevalley-madison
    I liked the look of that lad, positive for milk,

If she has any sense she'll keep walking, would you really put a muscle machine like that on a heifer? What did your last batch of heifers calve to?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't put Ernevalley Madison Lm4745 on heifers, madness. I saw that bull selling in Roscrea. Super bull, but I was waiting to see his calving figures before putting on cows.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I wouldn't put Ernevalley Madison Lm4745 on heifers, madness. I saw that bull selling in Roscrea. Super bull, but I was waiting to see his calving figures before putting on cows.

Would you try him on a second calver?

Would you try him on a second calver?

No calves on the ground yet. You could chance him on a few big cows.

If she has any sense she'll keep walking, would you really put a muscle machine like that on a heifer? What did your last batch of heifers calve to?

Shes a 4th calver;) standing now:D
    Last heifer calved to lm2014

Ah ok, my mistake, thought you said a maiden heifer. He's a serious looking bull alrite.
    What do you think of LM2014, only one here so far, light boned and slight, i can see why he's so easy calved. Have heard good reports about him.
    Three more ZGM calves popped out here yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Ah ok, my mistake, thought you said a maiden heifer. He's a serious looking bull alrite.
    What do you think of LM2014, only one here so far, light boned and slight, i can see why he's so easy calved. Have heard good reports about him.

Were the Gamin’s easy Calved? You happy with quality so far?

Yeah, i'd be very happy with them. He's very easy calved on cows, haven't used him on heifers, some people do. Good muscle and shape to them once they get going. He's an ideal terminal bull for the likes of a second calver i think.

Only one here too, a nice heifer, cow maker, shes light boned but also 7/8 limo so might be that in either, he seems to be the new eby

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

I have 2 calved to Madison this year. both second calfers AAx and HEx from the dairy herd. calved themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

Ernevalley Madison (LM4745) calves
    Calf in the first 2 pictures is 1 month old
    Calf in the second picture is 2 weeks old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Escalop son born the end of Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Billybigbollox

What are Fiston heifers like as replacements?
    Have four golden yellow heifers of purebred saler cows and was thinking of keeping and crossing back to saler again.The cows have good milk and always rear good weanlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Who2

Have four golden yellow heifers of purebred saler cows and was thinking of keeping and crossing back to saler again.The cows have good milk and always rear good weanlings.

I’d have no fear of that cross, the saler should pull back the maternal a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What are the heifers like for height and width at the hips
    That’s the only concern I’d have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hi all, looking for some advice re Dovea Simmental sires, I’ve a mature chx cow that I’d like to try a Simmental on and her daughter a second calver. Looking for replacements. Have no real experience of Simmentals so any advice is appreciated. Knowing my luck though it will be two bulls:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

This is my fiston cald 4 days old off of a handy size cow. Very impressed with him
    I posted here wondering about his calving difficulty . I used the jack but wasn't a massive pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

This is my fiston cald 4 days old off of a handy size cow. Very impressed with him
    I posted here wondering about his calving difficulty . I used the jack but wasn't a massive pull.

Are they quiet? I've had a few of them here that were bloody wild, not all of them but some of them. I've heard other people say this about Fiston calves too.
    I wouldn't think he'd be a great bull to keep heifers off but if you couldn't keep them off Saler cows you wouldn't keep them off anything.
    Only one Fiston calf here this year, a bull of an ION X CH cow, not the biggest but lovely shape and muscle to him, i plan to use him a good bit this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

I'll tell ya in 9 months, bulled a fiston out of a PB simmental yesterday.
    Shes a sweet golden one so I said I'd chance her

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some advice re Dovea Simmental sires, I’ve a mature chx cow that I’d like to try a Simmental on and her daughter a second calver. Looking for replacements. Have no real experience of Simmentals so any advice is appreciated. Knowing my luck though it will be two bulls:D

I've used QCD a bit, have two cows off him here, they're medium sized and are good breeders, you could put him on the second calver. Auroch James is a nice looking bull but haven't used him.
    If the older cow is a good calver you could try Curaheen Gunshot on her, never tried him tho.

Advertisement