Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Who2

I’ve si x sh heifer bulling today good square heifer deep body but lacking confirmation around the back end, would I be cracked to put sa on her, hoping for a replacement? Ai man coming in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Who2 wrote: »
    I’ve si x sh heifer bulling today good square heifer deep body but lacking confirmation around the back end, would I be cracked to put sa on her, hoping for a replacement? Ai man coming in a few hours.

Dont see a saler impriving her much, id go fot a limousin, that knell maybe or lm2014

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Dont see a saler impriving her much, id go fot a limousin, that knell maybe or lm2014

Yea stick Ivor onto her. She sounds like a good heifer just lacking style?

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Yea stick Ivor onto her. She sounds like a good heifer just lacking style?

She’s a good solid decent cow maker, but more of a traditional back end than a u grader. I’ll get that with the bull down the road. I should have a share of si. X and lm coming as replacements, just thought if I did get a heifer she should be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Bova have a new Saler bull called Manclaux, looks a fine bull but completely unproven yet.
    Valliant ((VTA) is a real good bull i think, proven easy calved bull.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Bova have a new Saler bull called Manclaux, looks a fine bull but completely unproven yet.
    Valliant ((VTA) is a real good bull i think, proven easy calved bull.

Just reading your post now, but that’s what I put in her. I’d a sh cow bulling too and went cracked and put an de beauffaux into her. Should get the color but will probably end up with a low set animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭50HX

End of the road for this fella

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/belgian-blue-sire-dbz-no-longer-available/

Have few left in the pot still.....great bull

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

50HX wrote: »
    End of the road for this fella

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/belgian-blue-sire-dbz-no-longer-available/

Have few left in the pot still.....great bull

I wish i used more of him, i have 1 cow here off him and she is a great cow, medium sized, muscly, calves herself and always has a roan colored lim calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

https://www.doveagenetics.ie/products/beef/glacon

Anyone use that fella before? On heifers ;0 ! Maybe im nad but weve an absolute unit of a Saler heifer here in excess of 400kg at 15 months (Dam is less than 500kg) the auld lad thinks im mad suggesting blond but i remember lads at the ploughing mentioning calving Saler heifers to blonds and even the odd blue easy enough. Wildest weve went with bulls on heifers was a Dovea called Palmares (PAM) a good while back on plain enough heifers.
    Havenf got the heifers sire to hand but will find out, shes out of a Simmental x JEX cow who was born in late spring and was the least fanciest of calves bought that year but by far the luckiest weve had in a while.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'd go for it. But I put CH on my Salers first calvers so blonde wouldn't phase me :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd go for it. But I put CH on my Salers first calvers so blonde wouldn't phase me :pac:

See how it goes, ill try get a pic of her later.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

https://www.doveagenetics.ie/products/beef/glacon

Anyone use that fella before? On heifers ;0 ! Maybe im nad but weve an absolute unit of a Saler heifer here in excess of 400kg at 15 months (Dam is less than 500kg) the auld lad thinks im mad suggesting blond but i remember lads at the ploughing mentioning calving Saler heifers to blonds and even the odd blue easy enough. Wildest weve went with bulls on heifers was a Dovea called Palmares (PAM) a good while back on plain enough heifers.
    Havenf got the heifers sire to hand but will find out, shes out of a Simmental x JEX cow who was born in late spring and was the least fanciest of calves bought that year but by far the luckiest weve had in a while.
    Had an AI man here who would use BA on first Calvert’s quicker than the LM
    He reckons shorter gestation and easier calved

Calves were a red colour and sold well

What type of heifer would ye have yourself if you dont mind me asking?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

See how it goes, ill try get a pic of her later.

Glacon is easy calved in France anyway so I'd say you'll be ok.

I used a lot of blonde a good few years back and I’ve still two cows which I’ll be delighted when they are gone. Too fine boned, nervous, no milk and they can come any color.They usually calve ok but you will get the odd one go well over 300 days and if you’ve a bull calf, they can test a jack. Put si or lm on her and you can’t go too far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Anyone with LM 2242 Edakkya calves on the ground. His numbers look very interesting & I'm thinking of trying him.

What type of heifer would ye have yourself if you dont mind me asking?

Mostly LM or CH, had a few SM & BB over the years
    BA off a CH is a good cross, sorry didn’t keep some of the heifer calves for cows (sadly money wanted)

Who2 wrote: »
    I used a lot of blonde a good few years back and I’ve still two cows which I’ll be delighted when they are gone. Too fine boned, nervous, no milk and they can come any color.They usually calve ok but you will get the odd one go well over 300 days and if you’ve a bull calf, they can test a jack. Put si or lm on her and you can’t go too far wrong.

Agree long gestation (300+ days) are a pain
    No matter the calving difficulty, big calves are hard got out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone with LM 2242 Edakkya calves on the ground. His numbers look very interesting & I'm thinking of trying him.

I'm interested in using him aswell. I think someone on here said he breeds very narrow.
    I haven't seen any pedigree stock from him yet.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Can anyone recommend any blue bulls from Dovea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Is it just me or are they the unluckiest cattle ever? If it’s not a sore foot or a chill it’s a cow that can’t calve or roars every time you turn around.

Asked AI man for BB2280 for tall BA cow
    He didn’t have him but said S905 is breeding well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is it just me or are they the unluckiest cattle ever? If it’s not a sore foot or a chill it’s a cow that can’t calve or roars every time you turn around.

Their ancestors were just too pampered in straw sheds with plenty feed. No hardiness there at all.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Asked AI man for BB2280 for tall BA cow
    He didn’t have him but said S905 is breeding well

S905 great bull for a low thick cow, size improver
    Wbh and bb4399 would be good muscly types,
    Bb2247 brings the red cakves but they lack size and power, would want a big cow, easy calved,

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Morning all, has many of ye used the Lm bull JSS from eurogene? He looks good on paper, would he be suitable for pedigree use?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

S905 great bull for a low thick cow, size improver
    Wbh and bb4399 would be good muscly types,
    Bb2247 brings the red cakves but they lack size and power, would want a big cow, easy calved,

Just note S905 is something like 19% CD :pac: I know because I ordered him yesterday!

Just note S905 is something like 19% CD :pac: I know because I ordered him yesterday!

Sadly saw my cow Bulling yesterday
    Did you try BB2380?

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Morning all, has many of ye used the Lm bull JSS from eurogene? He looks good on paper, would he be suitable for pedigree use?

Had him on 2 commercial dairy cross heifers
    Calved a 2yo daughter recently to a SA great bag of milk
    Good bull easy calved but has a 292 day gestation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Take them over a CH any day

• Advertisement

Thats becasue he is a belgian bull and a bit of an outcross, was used a lot of pedigree cattle which inflates the calving %

Advertisement