Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, that's about right.

Is it expensive to keep your own tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Most of those Eravelle sons didn't turn out to be all that easy calved from what i've heard. Lexicon is a serious looking bull but there's plenty of proven easy calved bulls out there suitable for heifers, wold one of them not be better.
    You could try him on cows first.
    I've used Gamin on cows with no bother calving. Plenty of people use him on heifers. I'd rate him easier calved than ZAG anyway.

Have you any older gamin cattle? Wonder what he's like for milk?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it expensive to keep your own tank?

Dovea charge €190/year for four top ups of liquid nitrogen per year if you buy €150 of straws every three years off them.
    It's €290/year if you haven't bought any straws in the previous three years off them.

No, sold them all. I'm kinda sorry i didn't keep one of them just to see how she would have turned out. They're well muscled, i'd say you'd want plenty of milk in the mother to keep a heifer off him but i'm only guessing saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

No, sold them all. I'm kinda sorry i didn't keep one of them just to see how she would have turned out. They're well muscled, i'd say you'd want plenty of milk in the mother to keep a heifer off him but i'm only guessing saying that.

I have one as a cow here. Light in milk alright

• Advertisement

Have you any cows off Excel?

Have you any cows off Excel?

Not yet. I have 2 small purebreds in calf to him alright. Hoping he will add size and good frame. I've seen a couple of pb bulls by him and they were smashers.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Most of those Eravelle sons didn't turn out to be all that easy calved from what i've heard. Lexicon is a serious looking bull but there's plenty of proven easy calved bulls out there suitable for heifers, wold one of them not be better.
    You could try him on cows first.
    I've used Gamin on cows with no bother calving. Plenty of people use him on heifers. I'd rate him easier calved than ZAG anyway.

True enough, better safe than sorry until he has more calves in the ground.
    WWS have Norman Inventor LM4151 aswell, sire of the champion Limousin in Roscrea last week. Looks very easy calved, suitable for heifers, + for milk. Seems like an all rounder. Anybody on here used him yet?

True enough, better safe than sorry until he has more calves in the ground.
    WWS have Norman Inventor LM4151 aswell, sire of the champion Limousin in Roscrea last week. Looks very easy calved, suitable for heifers, + for milk. Seems like an all rounder. Anybody on here used him yet?

I have a purebred cow here by Norman Inventor. I bought her at a limousin society sale. Paid enough for her, but really liked the look of her. Her figures aren't great, but she turned out to be a great cow. Loads of milk and she's very quiet. Her calf isn't the quietest and she's by a quiet bull, so I'd be wary of using Inventor on wildish cows. Other than that deffo worth a try.

I have a purebred cow here by Norman Inventor. I bought her at a limousin society sale. Paid enough for her, but really liked the look of her. Her figures aren't great, but she turned out to be a great cow. Loads of milk and she's very quiet. Her calf isn't the quietest and she's by a quiet bull, so I'd be wary of using Invebtor on wildish cows. Other than that deffo worth a try.

That’s great stuff Patsy, reckon if I’ll get a few straws of him so if I’m going to the bother of getting lexicon off them.
    How’s that cow for height? His linear scores don’t suggest they’d be the biggest?

• Advertisement

That’s great stuff Patsy, reckon if I’ll get a few straws of him so if I’m going to the bother of getting lexicon off them.
    How’s that cow for height? His linear scores don’t suggest they’d be the biggest?

Mine is very big. Here's pics of her the day I bought her. Not as glamorous now.

Mine is very big. Here's pics of her the day I bought her. Not as glamorous now.

Lovely heifer Patsy. Added bonus of milk and she’s quiet! A real winner. What has she on her dams side if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

powerful heifer , what age is she there 2 yo?

High bike wrote: »
    powerful heifer , what age is she there 2 yo?
    A year and 7 months.

Loyal bull calf at 2 weeks old x Foreman. Very slight when born (47kg) but starting to fill up

Loyal bull calf at 2 weeks old x Foreman. Very slight when born (47kg) but starting to fill up

Very nice, would you use Loyal again, have you tried Laurel?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

Have a young laurel bull. He is turning into a nice enough lad. Good temperament naturally quiet with v little handling

Definitely would. Have a few more incalf to him, a gigillo heifer due in may and another Lim cow in June. Very easy calved so far.
    No haven’t tried laurel yet.
    Ordered Tomschoice Lexicon and Norman Inventor for this years heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Hamlet off FL21 x heifer - 3 weeks

Ludwig off Lm x sm cow - 5 weeks

• Advertisement

Nice calves. Is your FL21 heifer quiet. Used him a bit one year, most of them were wild yokes even off quiet cows, didn't like them at all, thought they were very leggy.

How do you find Ludwig for calving?

Nice calves. Is your FL21 heifer quiet. Used him a bit one year, most of them were wild yokes even off quiet cows, didn't like them at all, thought they were very leggy.

How do you find Ludwig for calving?

Ya the fl21 is quiet which I was wary of cus her mother (rua) is wicked at calving. There leggy alright but she off a bluexlm that bit stocky so brought good mix.

Ludwig is somewhere between avg and hard calved. Hood quality so far with 4 of him

Very good. What sort of cow would suit Lodge Hamlet best?

Very good. What sort of cow would suit Lodge Hamlet best?

A good framey even leggy one. Easy calved so I'd use on heifers

Was thinking that alrite, anyone who has used him says he's easy calved anyway.
    Had the only LM 2014 calf i'll have this year the other day off a 3/4 bred lim second calver, she's very light boned and slight, will be interesting to see if she shapes up as she gets older.

Was thinking that alrite, anyone who has used him says he's easy calved anyway.
    Had the only LM 2014 calf i'll have this year the other day off a 3/4 bred lim second calver, she's very light boned and slight, will be interesting to see if she shapes up as she gets older.

Had a loyal off a ped 1st Calver. Very light boned too and slight. V easy calved but let's see how he shapes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lim x fr bulling, a good thick limo bull that could keep heifers of, dovea or maybe progressive

Dromanig King:rolleyes:.

I wonder are straws of Brooklands Marco available yet, looks a super bull on paper anyway, unproven yet tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

Lim x fr bulling, a good thick limo bull that could keep heifers of, dovea or maybe progressive

OKH - Keltic Handsome. Have a couple of nice heifers off him. Not many straws left though

• Advertisement

fanmanad wrote: »
    OKH - Keltic Handsome. Have a couple of nice heifers off him. Not many straws left though

Did you not find OKH breeds a bit narrow? Nice quiet cattle though.

Advertisement