Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

390kid wrote: »
    Progressive. Wouldn’t mind something to inject a bit of size and milk
    Lzf definitely adds length and someone else mentioned he adds milk
    Ludwig would be another option to add size

Personally I’d like a Gurka daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Anyobe that can recommend an easy calving charlaois with bova?
    Usually use PG here, AI man not around this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

RD10 wrote: »

Used Alwent Hitman a couple of times here, the polled is handy too. Kept a cow off him too and has a good drop of milk. Bit light in the bone perhaps.

RD10 wrote: »

Heard good reviews on Mark
    What about the Cloughbrack bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Sicilien from Dovea is a right good bull and easy calved.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Sicilien from Dovea is a right good bull and easy calved.

Is he preorder

Not sure, bought some straws of him a few years ago. He has an S code so maybe he is pre order.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Cheers all, had checked out the few mentioned above in the catalogue.
    Ended up going with the limousin bull Hellios to be on the safe side this time as im not too familiar with bova. Cow is a good shapey cow and breeds a nice shapey calf no matter what bull used.
    Would have gone with fiston had regular ai man been around.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Has anyone on here used any of the blonde bulls from dovea? Or have pictures of blonde calves out of black whitehead/ grey ch cows? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Got a letter from icbf today claiming wrong parentage of a heifer? It’s meant to be fleetwood but there claiming it’s zag? Is this common or what’s after happening?

• Advertisement

Sounds like your looking for a simmental;)

Was thinking that way but we’ve a good few black cows. Would ya still get the nice red colour?

Ai technicians sometimes mix up straws. Left a heifer for Ai here a few years ago, told Ai man to put Highfield Odran on her, came home, happened to check discarded straw in the crush, it was DEP, lucky i checked.

SA2153 the Saler Odran and SI2152 the Sim Earp have been mixed up here also.

What colour is your calf?

Was thinking that way but we’ve a good few black cows. Would ya still get the nice red colour?

Colour wise putting Sims on black cows isn't a great cross, you often end up with brown/grey coloured calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Doubt it highly

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

rushvalley wrote: »
    Has anyone on here used any of the blonde bulls from dovea? Or have pictures of blonde calves out of black whitehead/ grey ch cows? Thanks.

Have blonde twins from a black Whitehead cow and they came grey. They out of pg bull inzagi. Cow is si/lm

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Colour wise putting Sims on black cows isn't a great cross, you often end up with brown/grey coloured calves.

I had a lovely red and white Simmental bull calf, last year, out of a very black AAx cow. (Limousin calves out of the same cow are red in colour).

Ai technicians sometimes mix up straws. Left a heifer for Ai here a few years ago, told Ai man to put Highfield Odran on her, came home, happened to check discarded straw in the crush, it was DEP, lucky i checked.

SA2153 the Saler Odran and SI2152 the Sim Earp have been mixed up here also.

What colour is your calf?

The calf is a orange colour out of a mousey grey cow.

I had a lovely red and white Simmental bull calf, last year, out of a very black AAx cow. (Limousin calves out of the same cow are red in colour).

Yeah, it’s not set in stone. Depends on the colours in the back breeding of the cow i suppose.
    Put three Sim bulls on black cows here last year, a black Saler, black Lim and black Angus crosses, all the resulting calves are that horrible grey/brown color. Won’t be doing that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yeah, it’s not set in stone. Depends on the colours in the back breeding of the cow i suppose.
    Put three Sim bulls on black cows here last year, a black Saler, black Lim and black Angus crosses, all the resulting calves are that horrible grey/brown color. Won’t be doing that again.

Would the sim bulls be more likely to have weak colouring in that they’d follow the mother or cone out the dreaded grey? A load of our black lim cows have red calves off the lim bull

Would the sim bulls be more likely to have weak colouring in that they’d follow the mother or cone out the dreaded grey? A load of our black lim cows have red calves off the lim bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone recommend an easy calving BB bull with munster? It's for a neighbour who wants to try one. I havn't use a BB in years.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Anyone recommend an easy calving BB bull with munster? It's for a neighbour who wants to try one. I havn't use a BB in years.

DBZ isn't hard calved on cows, you'd want a bit of height and length in the cow tho.

DBZ isn't hard calved on cows, you'd want a bit of height and length in the cow tho.

Thanks, she's a fine big cow. A BB cross, but big and boney

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Thanks, she's a fine big cow. A BB cross, but big and boney

Don’t know of availability but I used hitman on 2/3 and they were nice calves. Not overly growy though

squinn2912 wrote: »

I don't know but i'll only put a Sim bull on a yellow or red cow from now on.

It's a bit different for Lims, a 3/4 bred Lim is nearly always going to be red.

Yea that is true but there are cows here that have had calves every colour to the same bulls. Often seen a black cow with twins one red the other black too so when you have black you can get anything. I was thinking of a sim bull next go round but all in all the lim is hard to beat

a that is true but there are cows here that have had calves every colour to the same bulls. Often seen a black cow with twins one red the other black too so when you have black you can get anything. I was thinking of a sim bull next go round but all in all the lim is hard to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 6 farmec1001

Is there a Munster/PG Limousin sire equivalent or better than EBY on calving difficulty, proven on heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 farmec1001

Is there a Munster/PG Limousin sire equivalent or better than EBY on calving difficulty, proven on heifers?

• Advertisement

farmec1001 wrote: »

MOONDHARRIG KNELL - LM4217

Advertisement