Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Did you get any Simmentals, i see they have a few new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    Did you get any Simmentals, i see they have a few new ones.

No, omly wanted straws for the pedigrees. I've enough now for years. :D

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

No, omly wanted straws for the pedigrees. I've enough now for years. :D

Like myself, building a strong reserve 😂😂

Just noticed today that the top of one of my straws popped off, 2/3mm. It would have to be an expensive straw that can't be got anymore. What's the chance of it being viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Anyone using the sim bull frosty king?
    Have had 2 calves born to him over last 2 days . Great calves.

• Advertisement

RD10 wrote: »
    Anyone using the sim bull frosty king?
    Have had 2 calves born to him over last 2 days . Great calves.

Got a few straws off him last year, havent used any yet. Have used his full brother Clonagh Direct Debit (XCD) a fair bit, nice calves off him.
    Have a few Derreen Declan calves this year, looking good so far.
    What is Frosty king like for calving, are they big calves, much muscle and shape to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Tomschoice ironstone first calver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Just noticed today that the top of one of my straws popped off, 2/3mm. It would have to be an expensive straw that can't be got anymore. What's the chance of it being viable?

The straw is fine. The trick though is thawing it when you want to use it.
    You can’t drop it in to water because the water will get inside and nothing kills sperm faster than water.
    You’ll have to hold it in the water with the tweezers without letting the open end drop below the waterline

The straw is fine. The trick though is thawing it when you want to use it.
    You can’t drop it in to water because the water will get inside and nothing kills sperm faster than water.
    You’ll have to hold it in the water with the tweezers without letting the open end drop below the waterline

Thanks bass, I'll give that a go. Couldn't be a cheap and cheerful straw lol.

My apologies. I actually got the extra 5 free straws from Bova AI in Gamin (ZGM). So the offer does apply to him. My mistake. Just glanced at the invoice there.
    I ordered straws from Bova recently. The buy 20, get 5 free doesn't apply to Gamin (ZGM). Just to be aware of that. Also their royalty fees are pricey enough for pedigree stock. Straws are very reasonable though.
    Lads, I specifically asked for my extra straws to be Gamin, but I was told the deal didn't apply to him.
    A few days ago. I ended up getting them in Excel instead.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

Did you say last year you had something to calve down to Lodge Hamlet Patsy, just wondering what they were like.Or anyone else with calves by him

High bike wrote: »
    Did you say last year you had something to calve down to Lodge Hamlet Patsy, just wondering what they were like.Or anyone else with calves by him

Have one PB bull calve by him, off a heifer. Calved away no bother. Small calf but still a nice square shape to him. Calf is dead calm too. Fine shortish straight hair on him too, unusual for a Lim. Happy with him, but hard to tell with just one calf. Went 291 days.

Put him in an Altea heifer last week, she has good size to her will be calving at 30 months so should be ok so

Put him in an Altea heifer last week, she has good size to her will be calving at 30 months so should be ok so

Ya, should be ok, altea being easy calving too.

Has anyone any calves off the Dovea bull Dromanig King LM4302?

looks a nice bull with good figures but the reliability side of it is low, he can’t have many calves yet I’d say

looks a nice bull with good figures but the reliability side of it is low, he can’t have many calves yet I’d say

There's a few about, might try him this year.
    Is Ewdenvale Ivor LM2014 still impressing people as much as last year, might try him also.

Dovea have a Limousin breeder working for them. He breeds good stock himself and I have a feeling he has a say in which bulls to buy. They have an impressive lineup of Limousin bulls now.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Anyone using Blonde bulls in Ai. Thinking of using them as an easy calving option instead of limousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Had a bull off him here recently out of a KJB cow, decent sized calf but went 14/15 days over...will take a few photos of him when he fills out.

• Advertisement

Dovea have a Limousin breeder working for them. He breeds good stock himself and I have a feeling he has a say in which bulls to buy. They have an impressive lineup of Limousin bulls now.

Ya they do. He breeds good stuff. It was his foreman they bought in roscrea last October and he looked better than the big money bull imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Has anyone kept eby heifers for breeding? Any thoughts on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

Have one just calved a few days ago for the first time. Lots of milk and very quiet. She not very tall but is just 24 months

Had a bull and heifer off him last year, both very muscley and not too big, sold both of them.
    Maybe im wrong but i wouldnt think he'd be the best bull to keep replacements off.
    I'd rather something with more frame and milk in their breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Had a bull and heifer off him last year, both very muscley and not too big, sold both of them.
    Maybe im wrong but i wouldnt think he'd be the best bull to keep replacements off.
    I'd rather something with more frame and milk in their breeding.

I’ve two nice muscley eby heifers that I’m thinking of keeping. They are rated 123 and 155 on replacement index. They where out of first calved heifers last year. Their mothers are simx x lm2014. They should have enough milk going back the line, but frame would be the question mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Anyone using Blonde bulls in Ai. Thinking of using them as an easy calving option instead of limousin.

I used silver wood mark from bova this year. I've only the one heifer of him but I like her a lot, I'll be keeping her for breeding

I’ve two nice muscley eby heifers that I’m thinking of keeping. They are rated 123 and 155 on replacement index. They where out of first calved heifers last year. Their mothers are simx x lm2014. They should have enough milk going back the line, but frame would be the question mark.

If you like them they could be worth a try. I have two ZAG heifers calved here this year, not the biggest and not too milky yet but their morhers hadn't too much either.
    Do you reckon LM2014 would be a good bull to keep replacements off?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

If you like them they could be worth a try. I have two ZAG heifers calved here this year, not the biggest and not too milky yet but their morhers hadn't too much either.
    Do you reckon LM2014 would be a good bull to keep replacements off?
    A friend of mine has keep 2 CWI heifers as replacements. Serious heifers

Here's a pic of my Lodge Hamlet bull calf. About 10 days old now. Born smallish but already a bit of shape to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Here's a pic of my Lodge Hamlet bull calf. About 10 days old now. Born smallish but already a bit of shape to him.

Nice calf
    Chatting a PB Breeder and he’s impressed with Hamlet too

Advertisement