Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Received the gene Ireland 2019 beef brochure in the post today. Anyone ordering from it this year? I'm thinking of giving the saler bull a try. I know the figures aren't much to go by. I tried the saler in last years catalog and have a fine bull calf of him this year already.

They have some fiercw old bullis in it. One nine years old

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

I got it today too, some decent looking Sim and Lim bulls in it.
    The terms and conditions would put me off tho, some of them are a joke.
    They want weaning weights and cow weights at year 2 and 4.
    Evidence of suitable insurance including public liability, employers liability, buildings and vehicle must be supplied to ICBF on demand. What is all that about.

Were you asked for any of this stuff yet?

You can buy straws off bulls with proven calving difficulty and performance for €10.
    Why take risks for the sake of a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

tanko wrote: »
    I got it today too, some decent looking Sim and Lim bulls in it.
    The terms and conditions would put me off tho, some of them are a joke.
    They want weaning weights and cow weights at year 2 and 4.
    Evidence of suitable insurance including public liability, employers liability, buildings and vehicle must be supplied to ICBF on demand. What is all that about.

Were you asked for any of this stuff yet?

You can buy straws off bulls with proven calving difficulty and performance for €10.

To be honest, I didn't even read the insurance part... should look at that part again ðŸ˜

I was wondering when I would hear about the weighing part. I was thinking that if I'm weighing these calves as part of BEEP it might cover for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

tanko wrote: »

What ever about the other crap they are coming up with, definitely the proven bulls at a fiver more is better. I'd bet most lads stock bulls are as good if not better than most of these bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Just out of interest, putting these test straws through the AI company came to 16/18euro a straw for me. I would normally pay in the region of 24-30e for an AI bull. So not all that big a saving if that was the thought behind it.

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, putting these test straws through the AI company came to 16/18euro a straw for me. I would normally pay in the region of 24-30e for an AI bull. So not all that big a saving if that was the thought behind it.

If i remember right when Gene Ireland started they supplied test bulls straws for free and paid the farmer €20 for each insemination.

You're only saving a fiver per straw, not worth it i think.
    I see they have two bulls off Tombapik and two off Bavardage, not much imagination there.
    The eurostars are leading to a serious narrowing of bloodlines in breeding which isnt a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone bred off Barnsford Ferny?
    See Eurogene have him preorder at €110 per straw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Received the gene Ireland 2019 beef brochure in the post today. Anyone ordering from it this year? I'm thinking of giving the saler bull a try. I know the figures aren't much to go by. I tried the saler in last years catalog and have a fine bull calf of him this year already.

Wouldn't bother with the salers unless you were trying for heifers. I seen fine saler bulls today at Ennis mart and they were a poor seller. same weight lmx were making €200 more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Anyone used ch bull goldstar ludwig.

What's the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

When dose the icbf publish the top 100 replacement bulls. Tia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

adne wrote: »
    Anyone used ch bull goldstar ludwig.

What's the feedback

I have 3 off him and il use him again,great muscle on them and would have a better frame than fiston offspring,easy calved too.
    The calves are wild enough for charolais

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

valtra2 wrote: »
    When dose the icbf publish the top 100 replacement bulls. Tia

Every 2 months. Import to Excel and sort the table yourself.
    https://www.icbf.com/wp/?page_id=200

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

There's a lad here gone into dairy and has a few Empire BB straws left over in the tank. What are they worth?

Looking for advise on bulls for ai. Have sim cross hefiers looking for lim bull and was thinking of trying a few shorthorn no idea about them. Also a few bulls to try on herd for replacement. Have been crossing with simmental last few years

Looking for advise on bulls for ai. Have sim cross hefiers looking for lim bull and was thinking of trying a few shorthorn no idea about them. Also a few bulls to try on herd for replacement. Have been crossing with simmental last few years

What ai company you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Pidae.m wrote: »
    There's a lad here gone into dairy and has a few Empire BB straws left over in the tank. What are they worth?

Ooooooh the temptation. No idea what they're worth, thought i last heard a couple of hundred?

Ooooooh the temptation. No idea what they're worth, thought i last heard a couple of hundred?

He stuck one in a Holstein cow by accident and got 200 for it in Bandon as a suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

https://twitter.com/progressivegen/status/1104419826376822784?s=20
    Looks a nice calf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

He stuck one in a Holstein cow by accident and got 200 for it in Bandon as a suck.

Nooooooooooo :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Nooooooooooo :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I know.....

• Advertisement

What ai company you with?

Have my own flask so not stuck to any one company. So man works for eurogene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have used gamin from bova on heifers for the last few years and have great faith in him and super calves and so easy calved.

Have used gamin from bova on heifers for the last few years and have great faith in him and super calves and so easy calved.

Have you kept any Gamin heifers on as cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Have you calved down any Gamin heifers or cows? Wonder what they are like for milk?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have one calved this year and calved very easy herself to rocky/hawk stock bull and has a nice amount of milk and calf doing well. Have two heifers bulled off average milk dams and will be good to see how they turn out.
    But he is our go to bull for heifers and getting small mushroom calf that just grows on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

What’s your system? Are you selling as weanlings, stores or finished?

Eby, Dubai to well built girls and Gamin or lodge hamlet or loyal to the taller rawer types.

Sh are great if you get Heifers but the bulls are worth noting.

Blonde is good too but just lack something when crossed to the SIM.

Do you find him a good bull to put a really good top on an animal? Any I've seen had really good top muscle and very correct.

Sell weanlings bulls. Cutting down on cow numbers and going to finish hefiers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Sell weanlings bulls. Cutting down on cow numbers and going to finish hefiers
    Stay away from shorthorns in vthat case.

How about trying a few Parthenaise straws?

Advertisement