Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

That’s an everyday occurrence at marts around here,the buyers don’t care as it gives a bit of leeway when it comes to killing cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Not all of them use handhelds

No need to have handhelds when the ai man duplicate copy goes back to ai company like PG/ Munster etc the office update info on icbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Have a cow that came billing 60ish Days after calving. Left her be and she came around again 21 days later. That was last Sunday morning. I served her that everything and all well. Cooled down and the teaser didn't mind her after a while agin. This evening she is on again 3 days later? Bit odd, was scanned cleaned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Have a cow that came billing 60ish Days after calving. Left her be and she came around again 21 days later. That was last Sunday morning. I served her that everything and all well. Cooled down and the teaser didn't mind her after a while agin. This evening she is on again 3 days later? Bit odd, was scanned cleaned too.

A bit strange alright but i'd just wait and see if she comes round three weeks after being Ai'ed.
    I would have Ai'ed her the first time she was bulling. Why did you leave her, its hard enough keeping them to 365 days.

tanko wrote: »
    A bit strange alright but i'd just wait and see if she comes round three weeks after being Ai'ed.
    I would have Ai'ed her the first time she was bulling. Why did you leave her, its hard enough keeping them to 365 days.

Ya think I'll do that. I generally leave them bull once to clean out and ai next time. Expensive straws etc. I don't think many hold on the first heat.

• Advertisement

Ya think I'll do that. I generally leave them bull once to clean out and ai next time. Expensive straws etc. I don't think many hold on the first heat.

I wouldnt agree that not many hold on the first heat, its as good a heat as any in my book.
    They definitely wont go in calf if there isnt a straw in them but i wouldnt be using expensive straws here.
    Each to their own i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Had a Potterleagh Mark calf last night. Ch4160.
    Must have just fired him out with a fart as I left her with no water bag yet at 1.15 & by 4.15 he was up & smacking away!!

JndC8zfl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Could be no harm getting blood checked.
    Is she bare?
    Vitamins drench could be no harm

Could be no harm getting blood checked.
    Is she bare?
    Vitamins drench could be no harm

Has the usual bolus after turn out and a mag bucket. Even though she was in standing heat she wasn't running slime the second time. I'll leave her be and see what happens next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I had a cow in standing heat around lunch time today. Looks to be gone off her now. Could I wait until morning to AI her or would it be to late.

There is clear slime coming out of her at present.

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I had a cow in standing heat around lunch time today. Looks to be gone off her now. Could I wait until morning to AI her or would it be to late.

Should still be ok.

tanko wrote: »
    Should still be ok.

Cheers Tanko. Was figuring you would be good man to ask.

A bit "too late" is better than a bit "too early" i find.
    I'd Ai morning and evening but an odd time wouldnt get the cow in and she'd be done near 24 hours after standing heat and usually still hold.
    The local Ai man around here reckons the reason for a lot of repeats is that they were done too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Saw on another thread that LM2014 Ewdenvale Ivor's days are done, hurted himself in the station supposedly....start stockpiling your straws now!!

He must have recovered or else Dovea still has straws,

An advertisement in a local newspaper this week, informs that Dovea has a new A.I. man in Inishowen, also promotes Ewendale Ivor (LM2014) and Knockmoyle Loki (CH4150).

Perfect for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

He must have recovered or else Dovea still has straws,

An advertisement in a local newspaper this week, informs that Dovea has a new A.I. man in Inishowen, also promotes Ewendale Ivor (LM2014) and Knockmoyle Loki (CH4150).

I imagine they have thousands of straws off him so it'll be years before he's proper gone gone

Perfect for the morning.

That's good to know for again. I work off farm so I might be able to leave them a bit longer than I normally do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭50HX

RobinBanks wrote: »

There is clear slime coming out of her at

I usually work off the 12-18 hrs after standing heat rule as best I can

A few hrs either side is not an issue

Early morning would be grand

I imagine they have thousands of straws off him so it'll be years before he's proper gone gone

I was talking to a Dovea rep today and he said that Ivor works best on cows with shape and muscle and if used on plain cows can result in plain enough calves.
    Would people agree with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Not in my opinion, had 8 calves off ivor this year to a mix of full continental and dairy cross and all well shaped calves, born tiny but 3 weeks in the shape starts to come. Serious bull to use on heifers especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Picture of ivor heifer calf off a hca x dairy cow, calf 3 weeks old

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I have 4 TVR bull calves unassisted and they fine calves but he not even qualifying for BDGP and I’ll be penalised if I use him but great bull imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hi has anyone on here ever used the blue bull
    Auchenlay Hitman? I’d like some feedback, he was recommended for some big heifers and second calvers

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    Not in my opinion, had 8 calves off ivor this year to a mix of full continental and dairy cross and all well shaped calves, born tiny but 3 weeks in the shape starts to come. Serious bull to use on heifers especially

Is he similar to EBY or better ?

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Is he similar to EBY or better ?

Different type of bull. He's more muscled type of bull and handy size and eby is a less muscled bull with a bit more size. Both easy calving and sort of suit different cow types.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Has anyone any experience of Dovea Limousin Bull - King LM4302

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Different type of bull. He's more muscled type of bull and handy size and eby is a less muscled bull with a bit more size. Both easy calving and sort of suit different cow types.

Ok thanks. Eby cattle stay small from what iv seen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is it not the other way around? EBY is bottom 10% on skeletal. LM2014 is around average (42% percentile).

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

Anyone use wilodge joskins @ 12.8 c.d??

• Advertisement

Is it not the other way around? EBY is bottom 10% on skeletal. LM2014 is around average (42% percentile).

Sorry you are right, night shift has the head fried lol.

Advertisement