Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

Here's a pic of my Lodge Hamlet bull calf. About 10 days old now. Born smallish but already a bit of shape to him.
    nice square calf Patsy I hope my one keeps to him

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Anyone ever use Glen Leon CH4158. Charolais bull from Dovea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Here's a pic of my Lodge Hamlet bull calf. About 10 days old now. Born smallish but already a bit of shape to him.

PBR 4 week old...Lodge Hamlet...given the few pictures I've seen here and my own one and at 4.4% calving....I think I'll use him a bit more.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    PBR 4 week old...Lodge Hamlet...given the few pictures I've seen here and my own one and at 4.4% calving....I think I'll use him a bit more.
    muscles little hoor,good front end on him too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I wonder what the heifers would be like for breeding though. Touch of the Belgian Blue about him. Time will tell, I suppose.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Saw on another thread that LM2014 Ewdenvale Ivor's days are done, hurted himself in the station supposedly....start stockpiling your straws now!!

I wonder what the heifers would be like for breeding though. Touch of the Belgian Blue about him. Time will tell, I suppose.

I say the cow would want to be milky!. I'd think he would be a good cross on a LM/FR first cross.

He would put the shape in and they would have the milk.

High bike wrote: »
    muscles little hoor,good front end on him too:D

Out of an ABI dam....last year here the cow though, she put everything out after calving, vet advised no second chance, could lose cow and calf. Must buy some straws of him even if he is only a 1 star bull.

Saw on another thread that LM2014 Ewdenvale Ivor's days are done, hurted himself in the station supposedly....start stockpiling your straws now!!

That's pity...I like the stock of him, must check with my AI man to see if I can store some with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Don't think thats true.
    Have you used him?

• Advertisement

Only seeing that pic now. He's a smasher. Have you him on the steroids?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Out of an ABI dam....last year here the cow though, she put everything out after calving, vet advised no second change, could lose cow and calf. Must buy some straws of him even if he is only a 1 star bull.
    where are u getting that from he’s 5* terminal and 4* maternal

High bike wrote: »
    where are u getting that from he’s 5* terminal and 4* maternal

Sorry, I meant abi not hamlet:D

Only seeing that pic now. He's a smasher. Have you him on the steroids?

:D:D when that cow clicks with a bull she really clicks.

Sorry, I meant abi not hamlet:D
    had to check there I put him on a heifer last week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What’s the gestation like

My lad brought 11 days but calved on her own, he was a fair lump though.

My lad brought 11 days but calved on her own, he was a fair lump though.

That’s good, seen some do nearly double that

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

When gestation its quoted as +1.22 for example, what is the baseline its measured off.

282 days +1.22? Or something else.

Cheers

reps4 wrote: »
    When gestation its quoted as +1.22 for example, what is the baseline its measured off.

282 days +1.22? Or something else.

Cheers

Ya, that's confusing. I think the baseline is the average for the angus breed.
    If you click on the Replacement tab on ICBF for a bull, then Gestation, you will see the gestation there in absolute days - 289 for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hello All,

Just wondering if any of you heard of a 9 day heat? AI man mentioned it to me this morning that it does happen. I thoughts it is just every 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭50HX

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hello All,

Just wondering if any of you heard of a 9 day heat? AI man mentioned it to me this morning that it does happen. I thoughts it is just every 3 weeks

Yeah they can show heat at 9 - 11 days as well as 19-21

From the Irish Limousin website;

Until further notice Ballinloan Jaegerbomb progeny pedigrees, future registrations and trading are suspended
    https://www.irishlimousin.com/2019/05/03/ballinloan-jaegerbomb/

From the UK Limousin site;
    We have become aware that BCMS have withdrawn passports for various Ballinloan and other Ballinloan related animals and BCMS have sent notices to the owners of the relevant animals. The cause appears to be errors relating to the registration of either the date of birth and/or the parentage of the animals concerned. These animals are also registered with the British Limousin Cattle Society. Below is a list of animals where we are aware that BCMS have withdrawn the passport. This means that the pedigree of these animals and any progeny is in doubt.
    https://limousin.co.uk/2019/05/notice-to-blcs-members/

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hello All,

Heard the 12th day heat is supposed to be best

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Heard the 12th day heat is supposed to be best

What do you mean about 12th day heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

valtra2 wrote: »
    What do you mean about 12th day heat.

Got one incalf to one last year. Never herd of it before. She was bulling and the air man said that she could come around in 11/12 days. Must not have felt right I don't know. On she comes bulling in the 12th day and holds ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Until further notice Ballinloan Jaegerbomb progeny pedigrees, future registrations and trading are suspended

We have become aware that BCMS have withdrawn passports for various Ballinloan and other Ballinloan related animals and BCMS have sent notices to the owners of the relevant animals. The cause appears to be errors relating to the registration of either the date of birth and/or the parentage of the animals concerned. These animals are also registered with the British Limousin Cattle Society. Below is a list of animals where we are aware that BCMS have withdrawn the passport. This means that the pedigree of these animals and any progeny is in doubt.

lots of it going on in the pedigree world and the society’s don’t want to know and only want money. The amount of calves lying in the rushes for weeks and then the big growth rate, The bdgp has thrown up lots of dna problems and the fella using Ai and scan the cow and gets a new Ai docket for to make the calf 6 weeks younger.

lots of it going on in the pedigree world and the society’s don’t want to know and only want money. The amount of calves lying in the rushes for weeks and then the big growth rate, The bdgp has thrown up lots of dna problems and the fella using Ai and scan the cow and gets a new Ai docket for to make the calf 6 weeks younger.
    I was on a farm recently and there was very strong untagged calves there. I asked him why he hadn't them tagged. He said he always waited a.month or two before registering them. I asked were they out of ai bulls. They were. He was a bit taken back when I explained that the dept knew when they were ai'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I was on a farm recently and there was very strong untagged calves there. I asked him why he hadn't them tagged. He said he always waited a.month or two before registering them. I asked were they out of ai bulls. They were. He was a bit taken back when I explained that the dept knew when they were ai'd.

Not all of them use handhelds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I was at a Mart early last year and a man was selling weanlings.
    According to the description on the Board they were only about three months old.
    It was plain to see that they were at least 6 months old.....He obviously has a Brass Neck.
    How did he get away with it?

Advertisement