Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

What you think of Glorieux? I've a purebred cow due to him in 2 weeks. Hoping to add a bit of size and improve docility.

Sorry patsy, calfs grandsire was xgl. That's his breeding. The fuc ker broke my heart all year. Some giants and some really muscly calves off him. I'd him with heifers too which was brain dead in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Sorry patsy, calfs grandsire was xgl. That's his breeding. The fuc ker broke my heart all year. Some giants and some really muscly calves off him. I'd him with heifers too which was brain dead in hindsight.

Ya, but you'd be always inclined to chance a limousin on heifers. Nice breeding in him, all the same.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Ordered Goldies Jackpot only yesterday for a rew pedigrees. I would have thought at 50 a pop on diy he would be a bit pricey for commercials. On the point what straw price limit would everyone put on for the commercials?? Tend to stick between 5 and 10 euro myself with the odd few 12 euro ones.

Do you have any calves on the ground by jackpot yet?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

A bull I haven't used in years. Rocky. Out of a DEP cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Did many here use CH2066 Derryolam Impeccable
    What did you think?

Liked the look of him but didn’t get a chance to use him.
    See Eurogene have a brother

I loved impeccable calves , unfortunately lost a heifer from my better maternal cows to him from pneumonia at 3 weeks old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭sonnybill

sonnybill wrote: »
    I loved impeccable calves , unfortunately lost a heifer from my better maternal cows to him from pneumonia at 3 weeks old

Impeccable bull calf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

sonnybill wrote: »
    Impeccable bull calf

Lovely calf, we’ll be using his bro so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Many use lm2014, Ivor, on pedigree heifers? How did they turn out? Good shape bulls and a good cow maker off more muscled heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Many use lm2014, Ivor, on pedigree heifers? How did they turn out? Good shape bulls and a good cow maker off more muscled heifers?

I used him on about 3 ped cows he looks a good bull, I will know next spring what his calfs are like.

Serious bull. Way ahead of eby or zag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Serious bull. Way ahead of eby or zag

Have you used him on 2 year old heifers?

Have you used him on 2 year old heifers?

Ya. I put up pictures few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Ya. I put up pictures few weeks back
    calving at 24 mts??

High bike wrote: »
    calving at 24 mts??

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Yes.

She pedigree? Many here calving pedigree lims at two years old? Iv no hastle calving the sims pedigree and commercial at two years old and a touch younger but I'm not sure how much the lims will like it? Only getting into a handful of pedigree lims so I'm new to them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

She pedigree? Many here calving pedigree lims at two years old? Iv no hastle calving the sims pedigree and commercial at two years old and a touch younger but I'm not sure how much the lims will like it? Only getting into a handful of pedigree lims so I'm new to them. Thanks

Calf them here at 2 yo but not always to a lm, I have two muscly heifers that I ai’ed to a saler this year.

Prefer to be safe than sorry with some of them, ai”ed one last year to favars.
    The dam was by mpb. No problems at all. Really depends on the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Seanhorse91

What are the best maternal Belgian blues available at the moment lads and ladies? Looking to use them on LMxFR cows

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

What are the best maternal Belgian blues available at the moment lads and ladies? Looking to use them on LMxFR cows
    SFL(DU STORDEUR FLANEUR) from Bova is the best for Replacement based off ICBF, easy calving with milk too but the beef figures aren't the greatest for a BB. I'd imagine if you got a heifer and crossed her to something more terminal then you'd be hitting the sweet spot. Heard SFL offspring were small though so that's worth taking into account too

I calf my own at 24 months, but bought in ones tend to be not in-calf and older. No problems here so far. Use a well proven easy calver and you'll be ok.
    I find if the cow or heifer has easy calving in her breeding, that will make the calf even smaller. Some of them here have had little rats, that grew away grand after.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

SFL is good if you can get him. Very easy calved.

This is a five month calf of his out a SIxFR cow. The cow would not be tall or muscly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Seanhorse91

SFL(DU STORDEUR FLANEUR) from Bova is the best for Replacement based off ICBF, easy calving with milk too but the beef figures aren't the greatest for a BB. I'd imagine if you got a heifer and crossed her to something more terminal then you'd be hitting the sweet spot. Heard SFL offspring were small though so that's worth taking into account too
    Simmental. wrote: »
    SFL is good if you can get him. Very easy calved.

This is a five month calf of his out a SIxFR cow. The cow would not be tall or muscly.
    Lovely breeding type of a heifer👌 Ya SFL looks the business but as you say straws are hard got.
    Any particular blue bulls in progressive or dovea doing the business? Dovea bull S1607 - SOUCIEUX DE ST FONTAINE is a good bull by all accounts. Not extremely muscled which is what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lovely breeding type of a heifer👌 Ya SFL looks the business but as you say straws are hard got.
    Any particular blue bulls in progressive or dovea doing the business? Dovea bull S1607 - SOUCIEUX DE ST FONTAINE is a good bull by all accounts. Not extremely muscled which is what I want.
    Have two nice vdv heifers out of lmxfr cow. In all honesty they will never be too muscly out of that type of cow
    Vdv is 7th best bull for daughter calving difficulty in bb breed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I have some nice heifers by GEU coming through but they haven’t calved yet

As a rule of thumb is a bull has an “S” code straws will be expensive and/or hard to get

I have some nice heifers by GEU coming through but they haven’t calved yet

Would BB heifers not be too muscly & have problems at calvings?

Would BB heifers not be too muscly & have problems at calvings?

Depends on the cow they’re coming out of. I’m using them on the plainer cows in the herd namely HEx and LMX Cows. By best cows are BBxFR.

Anyone know why www.semenstore.ie has so few bulls compared to www.semenstore.co.uk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Anyone know why www.semenstore.ie has so few bulls compared to www.semenstore.co.uk ?

eu ibr rules?

grassroot1 wrote: »
    eu ibr rules?

Ferny looks an impressive bull

• Advertisement

Anyone use the Dovea bull Mullary Intrepid (LM4093)?
    Serious muscle judging by this lad.

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/purebred-limousin-bull/19655784

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1037870609

Advertisement