Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

guys can i register with debit card for the month trial.

and generally when does the month trial expire. I am referring to when netflix stops it in general.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You have to cancel it before the next billing date, which should be in your account settings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just tried the Xbox version and discovered an anime section that was hidden on PC and PS3! Definitely need some interface tidying.

Anyone who hasn't watched Summer Wars has no excuse now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah I noticed the anime section on the website. The PS3 app is very limited and gives a poor impression.

Oh and you'll be happy to know Dogtooth is on there as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Jordo141 wrote: »
    Am I the only one ticked off that you can't get good quality resolutions if you have a poor internet connection?

I mean, why can't I get the option and just wait longer for it to buffer?

Great lineup and I've been waiting a long time for Netflix to come... but I want to watch the content in HD... Looks like I'll cancel in a week or two.

Try forcing the quality to be High in your account settings. Then when something opens, pause it to let it buffer up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

Try forcing the quality to be High in your account settings. Then when something opens, pause it to let it buffer up.

Tried that several times; and if anything the quality was worse :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Classical Kid

Is the TV library virtually the same in both the UK and IE or is the bbc content which was limited to iplayer before netflix (i.e Torchwood,Eastenders,Sherlock) availble? or is it still only availble on Iplayer and netflix UK, because wouldnt that lose BBC alot of advantage to having their content exclusive to IPlayer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There is some BBC content up there. Seems like a fairly random selection though. Four series of the Doctor, for example, but not the most recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Am I the only one ticked off that you can't get good quality resolutions if you have a poor internet connection?

I mean, why can't I get the option and just wait longer for it to buffer?

Great lineup and I've been waiting a long time for Netflix to come... but I want to watch the content in HD... Looks like I'll cancel in a week or two. :(

I definetly agree. I have a strong enough connection. 9mb (no UPC where i am unfortunatly) but still manage to only get Medium/HD on 5.1, I can get High/HD if the audio is stereo. Id gladly wait 15-20 mins to allow the movie buffer if that means i can watch in in 1080p.

Its really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Looking at the UK version now and it looks to be identical content wise

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    I definetly agree. I have a strong enough connection. 9mb (no UPC where i am unfortunatly) but still manage to only get Medium/HD on 5.1, I can get High/HD if the audio is stereo. Id gladly wait 15-20 mins to allow the movie buffer if that means i can watch in in 1080p.

Its really annoying.

Some gent in another thread said to use this command:

CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+S

Change to a higher bit rate and the quality should be a bit better!

Some gent in another thread said to use this command:

CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+S

Change to a higher bit rate and the quality should be a bit better!

Im using the PS3 App.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If it gets more content over the next month, I'll definitely subscribe at that price point. If it's the same, I won't, but it's a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

Signed up and just finished watching Ghost in the shell...class.
    On a sad note, my ps3 ylod'ed when I went to test it...Off to market for some arctic ice in the morning me thinks!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

With this Netflix do you get uptodate movies I meant recently released movies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Its really annoying.
    Would you not have to wait a whole lot longer than 15 minutes to start streaming a full 1080p film though?

Hence why they make it automatic?

What actual download speeds do you get?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Would you not have to wait a whole lot longer than 15 minutes to start streaming a full 1080p film though?

True, it'd take at least an hour or two. But then again... set it up to buffer and then go off do some work or pastime and come back later and watch... I'd have no problem with waiting. Like I said... as long as I have the option for HD streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

With this Netflix do you get uptodate movies I meant recently released movies ?

Not really. Sad Prof said it best in a different thread
    Netflix is never going to be the place for new releases, be they films or tv shows. Netflix's focus is on providing the cheapest and largest back catalogue of titles. If newer titles were on there we'd be paying more than 7 euro - a lot more. This is the problem Apple is having in trying to come up with a subscription service. New releases are just too expensive. In many cases studios rely on DVD and Blu-ray sales just to break even.

The selection will improve dramatically once all the big studios sign up, but it's going to be more of the same: older film titles, early seasons of tv shows, etc. Smaller films will probably show up quicker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Best rule to kinda follow for content is don't expect any films newer than maybe a year and if the TV series hasn't been released on DVD yet or is still in the middle of the current season then it won't be up there. And that's not us being screwed for content, that's just the way Netflix works

S.M.B. wrote: »

Between 9 and 10mb. So i actually download at 1mb per second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Anyone else not seeing the app on the PS3?

I remember having a section with the RTE player a while back but it's been gone a while - I tried changing the settings to default but no joy. I also searched in the PS3 App store (or whatever they call it) and nothing... Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

otron wrote: »

I remember having a section with the RTE player a while back but it's been gone a while - I tried changing the settings to default but no joy. I also searched in the PS3 App store (or whatever they call it) and nothing... Any suggestions?

Install home and itll pop up(then uninstall home)

otron wrote: »

Try accessing the My Channels widget under TV. Let it load for a minute. I had to do that to get the RTÉ Player back. It should come up in a minute or o and then you should be able to install.

The Interrupters is up there and it isn't even out on DVD yet. I'm guessing it's going to be great for premièring smaller movies like this.

Studio marquee films will take some time to appear on it will can come and go randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Cheers Mate - that did it.

Now to spend several days pointlessly decorating my virtual apartment. What rubbish.

Between 9 and 10mb. So i actually download at 1mb per second.
    I have pretty much the same download speeds and yeah, I'm surprised with how poor the quality is when not streaming in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Blair

It’s seems well worth it, just watched the boondock saints 11 all saints day. Would have never have rented it out but an enjoyable film to watch. Quality was pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

the guy on Newstalk mentioned that to get most upto date movies you need to have a premium accout and not the 'unlimited' account you have for €6.99

maybe there is better content and more up to date if you pay more
    I cant see an option to upgrade anywhere on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Did a few tests last night and below are the results and a few thoughts

8Mb Vodafone BB package – seems to only stream in SD and can’t get HD to work – no real buffer time so all good so far
    Installed on Wii, PC and Xbox – no issues (Wii interface seems the easiest to navigate of the 2 games consoles)
    PC interface seems to have all the settings (account and stream quality etc) – hard to locate settings on the Wii and Xbox
    Would not work on Android HTC Desire – phone keeps rebooting so uninstalled
    I can watch 2 different streams on the PC and Wii at the same time but can’t watch 2 streams when the Xbox (with PC or Wii) is involved as it gave me some warning about ‘account in use on another device’ so it looks like the Xbox is the only one smart enough to spot that

Content is limited and TBH I am not sure if it’s worth the money. Some of the stuff is from 4OD and there is an app for that on the Xbox or PC. Might give it the month’s trial and see how it goes. Only + so far content wise is the kids shows that I could see young ones watching on the Wii in the play room (Barney and Thomas the Tank Engine etc)
    Must do some more digging to get a proper feel for it on all platforms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

tui0hcg wrote: »
    the guy on Newstalk mentioned that to get most upto date movies you need to have a premium accout and not the 'unlimited' account you have for €6.99

maybe there is better content and more up to date if you pay more
    I cant see an option to upgrade anywhere on the site

pretty sure that's complete and utter BS. There's only one price for Netflix. Their deal with Starz in the states is expiring because Starz wanted Netflix to charge their customers a premium to watch their content, which Netflix refused to do.

Was watching Breaking Bad in HD through my PS3 last night without a hitch, happy days.Looked great, didn't buffer once. Great stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement