Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Ireland launched. 1 month free trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

funkyflea wrote: »
    Anyone confirmed it's working on Apple tv? I'd rather use that than the xbox. The iOS app is available now too.

I just fired up aTV2 and netflix comes under ''Internet" menue, tried to connect - message "unavailable" , will give a bell for customer care

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Very unimpressed so far with their TV selection.

They only go up to series 2 of Dexter, The Office is behind too. A few more I spot checked as well.

I expected it to be at least as current as we get on Irish/UK TV, not a few years behind.
    Basq wrote: »
    Bit harsh!

Very few international retailers accept Laser to be fair... so why would an international organisation just launching here accept it?

Direct direct wouldn't be much use for an international business either AFAIK.

Plus laser is being phased out by a few banks - debit visa/mastercards are on their way at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

The content they're offering makes me sad. :(

Anyone know when they're putting the netflix application on the 3DS eShop?
    I'll use the trial then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's worth the price for the cartoon and anime alone in my opinion. All of the TV and Movies are just an added bonus for me, but I think there's a good selection of classics and recent stuff too. They do have a lot of work to do to sort out rights in the UK and Ireland though for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Lived in US & Canada for last year and a bit and having netflix all but replaced my torrenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 murfbrowne

hi there
    just got netflix today. i have on oldish telly (10yrs) with no up to date connections but i was wondering could i connect my laptop to sky+ box with USB connector and will netflix then play on tv.
    Or what other options if any do i have?
    thanks for any opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

murfbrowne wrote: »
    hi there
    just got netflix today. i have on oldish telly (10yrs) with no up to date connections but i was wondering could i connect my laptop to sky+ box with USB connector and will netflix then play on tv.
    Or what other options if any do i have?
    thanks for any opinions

If it's got no modern ports i'd look at upgrading the telly and also getting one of these http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056497385 while they last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Was just at a mates house who signed up for the free trial today... the content available is not great as previous posters have said.

Since the CEO of Netflicks is on with Ivan on breakfast on Newstalk in the morning tomorrow (Tuesday) i think i will send off an email to ask him when the content of the movies and tv shows is expected to improve.

Dont get me wrong... i welcome Netflicks here with open arms... but more than a little bit disappointed with the movies and shows available.

I feel sorry for the staff in Xtravision... i reckon the count down clock to closure within a couple of years has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'm countin' the days til Bank of Ireland launch their Visa Debits!:o
    same here, got a replacement card last month, sickened it was another lasercard

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Access wrote: »
    i think i will send off an email to ask him when the content of the movies and tv shows is expected to improve.

I can understand that they're still in negotiations with other companies to improve the range of their catalogue. But if they're always going to be so far behind in the shows that they do have the rights to, I can't see any benefit at all.

Is it that the companies want to get every last cent out of DVD sales or something before they allow the more recent stuff to be streamed?

The one benefit I can think of is for when I'm travelling with work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Im trying to start the free trial.
    Putting in my credit card details and it keeps refusing. Asking for a zip code. And refuses it no mater what i enter for zip code.
    I give up. Your loss netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Netflix is never going to be the place for new releases, be they films or tv shows. Netflix's focus is on providing the cheapest and largest back catalogue of titles. If newer titles were on there we'd be paying more than 7 euro - a lot more. This is the problem Apple is having in trying to come up with a subscription service. New releases are just too expensive. In many cases studios rely on DVD and Blu-ray sales just to break even.

The selection will improve dramatically once all the big studios sign up, but it's going to be more of the same: older film titles, early seasons of tv shows, etc. Smaller films will probably show up quicker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Netflix is never going to be the place for new releases, be they films or tv shows. Netflix's focus is on providing the cheapest and largest back catalogue of titles. If newer titles were on there we'd be paying more than 7 euro - a lot more. This is the problem Apple is having in trying to come up with a subscription service. New releases are just too expensive. In many cases studios rely on DVD and Blu-ray sales just to break even.

The selection will improve dramatically once all the big studios sign up, but it's going to be more of the same: older film titles, early seasons of tv shows, etc. Smaller films will probably show up quicker though.

if its updated fairly often then i'd be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Having spent some time on it now I'm afraid the content just isnt good enough to keep me beyond the free month despite how cheap it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

adm wrote: »
    Having spent some time on it now I'm afraid the content just isnt good enough to keep me beyond the free month despite how cheap it is.

its day one wait and see what comes in the next few weeks which will be cruical for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

I think it's a right kick in the balls that you need a fast internet connection to watch content in HD...

I mean I have a slow 1mb connection (the fastest I can possiably get here), but I would not mind waiting a loooooooooooooooong time for HD video to buffer. I just want to have the option.

Does anyone know if there's a reason why we don't have this option?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

I have been using a US Netflix account for about a year and there is a lot more content. However, it is all older stuff but at $7.99 I have always thought it was good value.

Today I discovered I could sign in with my US account to the Irish site and easily switch between both, no need to have two accounts. The UK and Ireland content is not all available on the US Netflix, and vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jordo141 wrote: »
    I think it's a right kick in the balls that you need a fast internet connection to watch content in HD...

I mean I have a slow 1mb connection (the fastest I can possiably get here), but I would not mind waiting a loooooooooooooooong time for HD video to buffer. I just want to have the option.

Did you go into the account settings and change the quality to best?

Did you go into the account settings and change the quality to best?

Yep... The quality is as blurry as heck still. :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Has anyone got this working with windows media centre 7?

I know in the states theres a plugin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Hanzer

You do have the option, hit Control + Shift + Alt + S to choose your stream bitrate. Good thing your willing to wait, HD will take 3-4 times the length of the movie to buffer on your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Just stumbled across something there which may interest some people.
    While using Netflix, I decided to use my US VPN, just to see what shows were available under the US Netflix compared to here.
    I didn't realise I hadn't signed out of my Irish account, and to my surprise, you can view US shows using your Irish account.
    Now how long this will last before they fix this is another story! But for now its great to have a wide(r) range of TV shows and Movies on Demand

Hanzer wrote: »
    You do have the option, hit Control + Shift + Alt + S to choose your stream bitrate. Good thing your willing to wait, HD will take 3-4 times the length of the movie to buffer on your connection.

YOU'RE A LEDGE :D

What selection do you recommend for getting basic/medium HD quality?

Also... any fix for PS3? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hanzer

YOU'RE A LEDGE :D

What selection do you recommend for getting basic/medium HD quality?

Also... any fix for PS3? :P

If I had to guess I'd say 1750 is 480p, 2350 is something in between and 3600 is basic HD.
    I tried the 3600 option with the Usual Suspects but was taking 3 mins to buffer 1 min of the film. The 2350 looks fine if you're sitting back from it on the couch.
    Cant find anything on the PS3 app, I'm gunna dig out an old laptop and connect to my TV with a HDMI cable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm very impressed with this, the quality is great, the implementation is good and the content is .... OK. For the price I think it's good value.

I find if I search for something I'm interested in I probably won't find it :) , but if I just go with the flow and flick through the movies/TV on offer I'll find something to watch. It'll be good for "grazing time" when you're flopped down in front of the TV.

It also seems to play on two devices which is good.

Hanzer wrote: »
    If I had to guess I'd say 1750 is 480p, 2350 is something in between and 3600 is basic HD.
    I tried the 3600 option with the Usual Suspects but was taking 3 mins to buffer 1 min of the film. The 2350 looks fine if you're sitting back from it on the couch.
    Cant find anything on the PS3 app, I'm gunna dig out an old laptop and connect to my TV with a HDMI cable :D

Sound stuff! Please post back if any solution found for the PS3 mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Sound stuff! Please post back if any solution found for the PS3 mate!

If the app isn't there(or even the TV tab isn't in the XMB), download Playstation Home and it should appear. Someone suggested this for me earlier(possibly not in this thread). I think you can uninstall it aftterwards if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Just tried out the free trial and it worked like a dream on Apple TV, excellent quality too.

If they keep adding to the content it's well worth €7 per month.

There's an iPhone app too which is equally as nifty.

Thumbs up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Found the Xbox app to be the slickest by far. Having said that, the Google TV version is not too bad :)

Just got a thumbs up from the wife too , 'daddy did good!' ... ;)

• Advertisement

If the app isn't there(or even the TV tab isn't in the XMB), download Playstation Home and it should appear. Someone suggested this for me earlier(possibly not in this thread). I think you can uninstall it aftterwards if you want.

I have the app and can access it fine; it's to specify the bit rate like you can on PC with the command listed above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement