Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Did everybody who got the free trial have to use their CC details?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hi all

Havent signed up yet as credit card is in the red but I just browsed the TV section and if this is what they have available I'll give it a miss, unless you see more choice when you actually join?:

https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseGenres/TV/83

Exactly, id like to see a full catalogue and exactly what kind of new releases can be expected as regards TV and Movies? will we get movies the same time they are released on dvd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

CMpunked wrote: »
    i dunno, last night i had my xbox playing hey arnold while i had on an ep of 24 on my laptop.
    I was seeing if two people were watching stuff would there be any lag and if so on each one. Both were watchable and no lag.

I will test it later on and see what the story is - have PC, Xbox, Android phone and Laptop - I will see how many I can get going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Ignore that page. It is horribly inaccurate. They will need to fox that.

Ok, was wondering do they have the likes of Mad Men, Cheers, Northern Exposure, Caprica?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ok, was wondering do they have the likes of Mad Men, Cheers, Northern Exposure, Caprica?
    Nope, none of them.

• Advertisement

Nope, none of them.

Thanks anyway, I saw that they are available on the US version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

VinLieger wrote: »
    will we get movies the same time they are released on dvd?

I think in the states there's a 28 day gap between when a film is released on DVD and when it is available on Netflix. Do a google search for Netflix and in the news section there's a story about some studios trying to increase it to 56.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

just spotted an ad for this last night elsewhere...and 6.99 a month unlimited streaming with what they have to offer...

seems to be TAKING THE P*SS OUT OF THE PADDIES?!?!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

just spotted an ad for this last night elsewhere...and 6.99 a month unlimited streaming with what they have to offer...

seems to be TAKING THE P*SS OUT OF THE PADDIES?!?!

:mad:

.....and the Brits!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Signed up for my months trial, no Game of Thrones or The Wire :(

• Advertisement

It would only cost YOU a FIVER! :D

dorgasm wrote: »

I know I did ask already on here if they had Mad Men and Caprica etc (was wishful thinking) but when you think of it there's no way studios are going to allow them to undermine their lucrative tv and tv/movie dvd sales/rental markets over here (UK/Ireland), don't know how they let them do it in the states even though its 28 day gap from dvd to netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

People really need to give it a chance to actually get started over here.
    Its been online less then a day in a place that has some of the most outdated and biggest runaround of licensing laws around aswell as a pretty bad broadband infrastructure.
    Theyve already admitted theyre working on Sony, Paramount and Disney along with god knows who else and for a day 1 of the service im pretty impressed.
    They price is more then fair aswell. You can buy a dvd to watch once or rent 2 or 3 for that amount. Christ its 2 drinks, 1 box of cigs a few bars of chocolate. Considering the amount of use you can get from it, the price is absolutely nothing.
    Of course theres always gonna be the people shouting rip off and now now now and the US has it why cant we.

People really need to give it a chance to actually get started over here.
    Its been online less then a day in a place that has some of the most outdated and biggest runaround of licensing laws around aswell as a pretty bad broadband infrastructure.
    Theyve already admitted theyre working on Sony, Paramount and Disney along with god knows who else and for a day 1 of the service im pretty impressed.
    They price is more then fair aswell. You can buy a dvd to watch once or rent 2 or 3 for that amount. Christ its 2 drinks, 1 box of cigs a few bars of chocolate. Considering the amount of use you can get from it, the price is absolutely nothing.
    Of course theres always gonna be the people shouting rip off and now now now and the US has it why cant we.

I don't think its a rip off at all, I'm just wondering how studios could afford to completely support Netflix at that price, unless the studios are giving up on tv broadcast and dvd sales and rental altogether, for instance when it comes to music the cost of a cd and buying it off itunes isnt drastically different but watching 10 films costs me about 35 or so from Laser if I could watch the same 10 for 6.99 bye bye dvd rental.

I don't think its a rip off at all, I'm just wondering how studios could afford to completely support Netflix at that price, unless the studios are giving up on tv broadcast and dvd sales and rental altogether, for instance when it comes to music the cost of a cd and buying it off itunes isnt drastically different but watching 10 films costs me about 35 or so from Laser if I could watch the same 10 for 6.99 bye bye dvd rental.

For studios its a case of is it worth it for them. With Netflix they dont have to worry about distribution costs compared to a standard dvd release which cuts down the cost dramatically for older titles especially(printing, packaging, design, shipping etc). The delay between a new dvd/blu-ray release is to allow the people who are going to buy in numbers get that sorted so they make their money there before allowing it for streaming.

it's supported because the whole shebang is a RIPOFF!:rolleyes:

I would'nt subscribe to it in a POTION STILL. :D

Rubbish!

Rubbish!
    Explain how its a rip-off? How much is fair? What exactly could you do better with that 8 precious euro each month?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

dorgasm wrote: »

There will never be any HBO shows on this as Sky Atlantic have the exclusive rights to the shows in the UK/Ireland. You'll need Sky Player for that.

For studios its a case of is it worth it for them. With Netflix they dont have to worry about distribution costs compared to a standard dvd release which cuts down the cost dramatically for older titles especially(printing, packaging, design, shipping etc). The delay between a new dvd/blu-ray release is to allow the people who are going to buy in numbers get that sorted so they make their money there before allowing it for streaming.

I know what you mean, but its not just new releases that studios make their money from, the last 10 movies I rented where all older than 1 year or two bar one new release I think, I would pretty much give up rentals if I could get 90% of what I like to watch on Netflix (mostly non mainstream or 40s and 50s films or arthouse/indie stuff) anyway I'll keep an eye on what stuff they are making available and may very well join in the future.

There will never be any HBO shows on this as Sky Atlantic have the exclusive rights to the shows in the UK/Ireland. You'll need Sky Player for that.

Id say we'll get them eventually but not without a big ass delay

• Advertisement

Rubbish!

What's your line of reasoning, is it limited content availability or why do you think that, for instance if you could watch 10 of your favourite films at dvd quality on Netflix for a quarter of the rental cost how is that a ripoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Do they even get HBO shows on Netflix in the US? I think HBO have their own subscription streaming service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Well, i've just signed up and am very happy with it streaming through my xbox. My son is watching pirates of the carribean at the moment and the quality is great. I won't have to buy any more box sets of tv shows either by the looks of it. All this for less than 2 euro/week. Can't go wrong imo.

Do they even get HBO shows on Netflix in the US? I think HBO have their own subscription streaming service.

Actually yep youre right. My mistake. Heres their US list from wiki
    As of 2011, Netflix's "Watch Instantly" service holds first-run rights to films from Paramount Pictures, MGM, Lions Gate Entertainment (through an output deal with Epix), along with films from Sony Pictures, Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group, Overture Films, Anchor Bay Entertainment (through an output deal with Starz).[citation needed] In addition, Netflix holds rights to back-catalog titles to films from Time Warner, Universal Pictures, Sony Pictures, Paramount Pictures, MGM, Lions Gate Entertainment, 20th Century Fox and other distributors.[citation needed] Netflix also provides current and back-catalog TV programs distributed by NBC Universal, 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures, Disney-ABC Domestic Television, with select shows from Warner Bros. as well.[citation needed] Netflix also previously showed movies from the Criterion Collection, but the titles were pulled from the streaming library when Criterion Collection titles were added to Hulu's Hulu Plus streaming library.[38] Netflix has "pay TV window" deals with Relativity Media, FilmDistrict, and Open Road Films.[39]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Have in or around 4mb broadband. Streaming Medium HD. What's the requirement for the top level of quality streaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

How do you get 5.1 surround to broadcast, It says on wiki its available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Its grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

I dont know if this has been said but dont use the scroller bars on the main screen to view films. Select view by genre and then on the top right of the page select view all, gives a much better idea of whats available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Rubbish!

About 25 cent a day for unlimited streaming is a ripoff?

What budget are you on bro.

• Advertisement

About 25 cent a day for unlimited streaming is a ripoff?

What budget are you on bro.

I think No*****r and OldeCinemaSoz are the same disgruntled person!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement