Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I searched for some films I've enjoyed and was surprised to not get a hit on any of them (I was careful not to put in anything too recent);

28 Days Later... (2002)
    Severance (2006)
    Jesus' Son (1999)
    Son of Rambow (2007)
    Half Nelson (2006)
    Eastern Promises (2007)
    Little Fish (2005)
    Dead Man's Shoes (2004)
    Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
    Into the Wild (2007)
    Election (1999)

While searching I was noticing a lot of the same titles popping up. Unless the libary was to expand I'd probably give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

–– Double post ––

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

grizzly wrote: »
    Unless the libary was to expand I'd probably give it a miss.
    I'll definitely give it the month and see what the lay of the land is like then. By all accounts, the choice should be much improved by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

ads20101 wrote: »
    I know their is some concern about the content, but just for the box-set's they have available now the price appears worth it. I have played it through my iPad, ps3 and ATV and so far the ATV appears to be the most convenient.

I was a bit disheartened when I first looked at the content at 4 this morning, but with a bit of exploring I am rather chuffed :D

Ok, I have changed my mind. ATV struggling a bit with peak time bandwidth, but not a bother for the PS3.

PS3 it is then!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

I can't seem to connect via Apple tv. Would love to know if anyone has managed it. If so, how do I set up?

• Advertisement

Dermoth wrote: »
    I can't seem to connect via Apple tv. Would love to know if anyone has managed it.

Allegedly if you had a U.S. itunes acc on your ATV then Netflix would be there.....ahem!!!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Can we test this for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

ads20101 wrote: »
    Allegedly if you had a U.S. itunes acc on your ATV then Netflix would be there.....ahem!!!!!:cool:

Yep it's there alright but then says Netflix is unavailable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Can we test this for a day or two.

You can test it for a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Signed up today. Happy with the selection available.

Will watch The Expendables tomorrow night, and maybe South Park and Hey Arnold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

I can't get the activation code for the PS3.

Could someone give me step-by-step guide to streaming via PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can't sign up, keep getting an error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Have in or around 4mb broadband. Streaming Medium HD. What's the requirement for the top level of quality streaming?

I have just over 6mb bb and also getting medium HD. Thought I'd get high HD but still Dexter looks pretty damn good at medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I can't get the activation code for the PS3.

Could someone give me step-by-step guide to streaming via PS3?
    I just registered on PC then logged in on ps3 and it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Signed up today for the months trial, no problems streaming stuff on a 1mb Eircom connection all day. Goning to try out Meteor mobile internet with it (I have the extended 10gb package with them) to see if I can increase the quality. I also tried out a US proxy thats available from some sites and have full access to the US selection of the streaming library, again with no hassle in buffering. It's not amazing quality as I'm only on 1mb but extrememly watchable on my 32" full HD screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Are the star trek series on it? I have exams on at the moment so there's no point wasting the free month right now just to see if its on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Think I might sign up for this. The TV/Video settings thingy was missing from my PS3 but I managed to get it to appear again. Sounds like Netflix is a better alternative to LoveFilm. As far as I know, LoveFilm just has films, where NetFlix has films and TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

rejkin wrote: »
    Are the star trek series on it? I have exams on at the moment so there's no point wasting the free month right now just to see if its on it.

Have all TOS and Voyager on dvd but would love to watch Next Generation on it, would be very surprised if it was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Wasn't working on my Xbox last night but is working grand now,just watched Slapshot there.Looks to be a good selection of documentaries available too which is cool.

Anyone know how much bandwidth watching a normal film would use,think our 50mb UPC bb has a 250g cap but just want to make sure I don't exceed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Medium quality is roughly 700mb. Constant HD can be up to 2.3 gb. Theres a guideline thingy on the site somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Wasn't working on my Xbox last night but is working grand now,just watched Slapshot there.Looks to be a good selection of documentaries available too which is cool.

Anyone know how much bandwidth watching a normal film would use,think our 50mb UPC bb has a 250g cap but just want to make sure I don't exceed it.

You'll be fine. This is the usage for streaming:

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
    Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
    Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

From Netflix Jan 2011

"This is Neil Hunt, Chief Product Officer, to tell our members in Canada that starting today, watching movies and TV shows streaming from Netflix will use 2/3 less data on average, with minimal impact to video quality.

Now Canadians can watch 30 hours of streaming from Netflix in a month that will consume only 9 GBytes of data, well below most data caps."

15 movies for 9GBs if the one here is using same compression (probably is).

No error here:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Not sure if you managed to sort this but a reset in settings (not restore) did the trick for me. You'll be required to set up your wireless network again on it so make sure you have your pass key but it should work

They have a lot of recent films but it's hard to find them:

Crank 2: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Crank_2_High_Voltage/70102780?trkid=50000035

Boondock Saints: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Boondock_Saints_II_All_Saints_Day/70117291?trkid=50000035

They need a better search on the website. Also they need to separate TV and films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I think it's a brilliant service for 7e a month.
    Especially if you are able to move between US and Ireland/UK content

I just wonder would they take action whne seeing one account accessing from Ireland and the US minutes apart? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Classical Kid

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Did everybody who got the free trial have to use their CC details?

I second this if this hasn't been already answered:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes. You have to enter your credit card details. This is the whole point of the free trial. They want you to sign up for the free month and then forget to cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

Am I the only one ticked off that you can't get good quality resolutions if you have a poor internet connection?

I mean, why can't I get the option and just wait longer for it to buffer?

Great lineup and I've been waiting a long time for Netflix to come... but I want to watch the content in HD... Looks like I'll cancel in a week or two. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement