Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks for the write up - I'm holding off for now because it's not clear what content is available (and I'll wait a bit longer until that becomes clear before starting the free month trial).
    Can you log in on two devices at the same time and watch different content?

The NetFlix Terms of Use seem to say that it is only one device at a time.
    NetFlix wrote:
    Personal Computer Requirements and Device Limitations: To enjoy watching instantly via your personal computer, your equipment must satisfy certain system requirements. Click here to view the various system requirements. To see partners who offer Netflix ready devices you may use to access our service, click here. YOU MAY INSTANTLY WATCH ON UP TO SIX UNIQUE AUTHORIZED NETFLIX READY DEVICES. YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO INSTANTLY WATCH SIMULTANEOUSLY ON ONLY ONE SUCH DEVICE AT ANY GIVEN TIME. For certain membership plans in the United States, you may instantly watch simultaneously on more than one Netflix ready device within your household. Click here to view the number of devices on which you may simultaneously view movies & TV shows that are associated with your plan. The number of devices and concurrent streams may change without notice to you. For certain limited membership plans in the United States, your available Netflix ready device may be limited to personal computers.
    (p.s. Their Caps, not mine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

A final point on the bandwith issue. If you're not watching in HD you might want to turn that off. I had to do it anyway because our 3mb download speed couldn't buffer the stream this morning. I wonder if everyone on our exchange starts using netflix does that mean no internet for us in the evenings?

Yep, pretty much. If you've got a whole bunch of people on a 3Mbps service sharing the same pipe, there isn't enough capacity for everyone to be pulling 3Mbps at the same time.

I don't know what kind of excess capacity we have in Ireland, and what the future infrastructure plans are, you'd get a better answer on the Broadband forum. But clearly if everybody starts using streaming services something has got to give.

There's a next gen video codec rolling out in a couple of years, which aims to bring a Netflix-quality 720p stream down from 4Mbps to about 2Mbps. That'll help, although new devices will be needed to support it. The likes of the PS3 probably has enough spare oomph to handle it with a software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I know their is some concern about the content, but just for the box-set's they have available now the price appears worth it. I have played it through my iPad, ps3 and ATV and so far the ATV appears to be the most convenient.

I was a bit disheartened when I first looked at the content at 4 this morning, but with a bit of exploring I am rather chuffed :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ugh, Silverlight. I won't be watching any films on my computer so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

For the trial, if I sign up using an Irish IP can I then switch over to a US IP when I want and get the US content (and switch back again if needed) or is it locked to Ireland on my account?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

woody1 wrote: »
    just read there that someone with a 3mb broadband is having trouble getting it to stream for him, im on a 1mb package ( living in the deepest darkest countryside ), is there even any point in bothering with netflix or anything similar , apple tv or whatever..

Sure give it a go. I would say no, not at all, but i suppose its worth a free trial to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nor me, it's iOS/Apple tv all the way, for the time being. no linux love :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Thanks for the write up - I'm holding off for now because it's not clear what content is available (and I'll wait a bit longer until that becomes clear before starting the free month trial).

The NetFlix Terms of Use seem to say that it is only one device at a time.

(p.s. Their Caps, not mine)

Thats a bummer - would love to have it stream to a few devices at the same time as there is always arguments on what we watch on 'MY' TV:D

So I think that means the kids cant watch stuff on the Wii if we are watching a movie on the main TV or through the Xbox - hmmmm this is not great in that case and kind of blows their statement of
    'Watch what you want, when you want. Unlimited!' out of the water

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Thats a bummer - would love to have it stream to a few devices at the same time as there is always arguments on what we watch on 'MY' TV:D

So I think that means the kids cant watch stuff on the Wii if we are watching a movie on the main TV or through the Xbox - hmmmm this is not great in that case and kind of blows their statement of
    'Watch what you want, when you want. Unlimited!' out of the water

i dunno, last night i had my xbox playing hey arnold while i had on an ep of 24 on my laptop.
    I was seeing if two people were watching stuff would there be any lag and if so on each one. Both were watchable and no lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

gambiaman wrote: »
    For the trial, if I sign up using an Irish IP can I then switch over to a US IP when I want and get the US content (and switch back again if needed) or is it locked to Ireland on my account?
    Thanks

I just tried this with BlackVPN. Works fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So any word on how this works as regards new releases? Specifically movie release, will it get them the same time xtra vision does? And for tv do we have to wait for a season to finish up before its listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

1. Does anyone get an option to use HD when streaming on PC? I've ticked allow HD, but it's grayed out when playing (using a fast connection – so should be able). Perhaps a HD version of the film I test wasn't available (The Expendables). Is HD only if they Blu Ray version available?

2. Is there a way of seeing one complete list of all available films, without going into each genre?

3. Do we get the same selection of TV/Film as US subscribers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I just tried this with BlackVPN. Works fine for me.

Cheers Oatsey, that's great so!

PS You get the US content when on a US Ip? Just to confirm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

grizzly wrote: »
    1. Does anyone get an option to use HD when streaming on PC? I've ticked allow HD, but it's grayed out when playing (using a fast connection – so should be able). Perhaps a HD version of the film I test wasn't available (The Expendables). Is HD only if they Blu Ray version available?
    If it's available in HD it should play automatically. Not all films are in HD though. And there are quite a number of HD films on there that aren't on Blu-ray yet. The Insider, for example.
    3. Do we get the same selection of TV/Film as US subscribers?
    No, not even close, and I'd imagine it'll be a long time before we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

CMpunked wrote: »
    The 4OD app thats available through the UK accounts is a must though. Works exceptionally well. :)

Can you explain more about the 4od app. Is this for android? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

woody1 wrote: »
    just read there that someone with a 3mb broadband is having trouble getting it to stream for him, im on a 1mb package ( living in the deepest darkest countryside ), is there even any point in bothering with netflix or anything similar , apple tv or whatever..

Quality would be piss poor on a 1mb package. Sign up anyway and make the most of the 1month free trial.

What quality are people getting on the PS3?
    I have a 9mb connection and usually get Medium/HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Hover over the HD icon it should say buffering HD, if it does it will eventually switch to playing in HD once it's buffered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Hogzy wrote: »
    Quality would be piss poor on a 1mb package. Sign up anyway and make the most of the 1month free trial.

What quality are people getting on the PS3?
    I have a 9mb connection and usually get Medium/HD.

Is it automatic? You can't choose HD if you want?

I'm getting pretty standard resolution on 6mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So OSX isn't supported then? Is this the same in the US? Seems like an odd decision for them to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I checked the account settings and saw these options;
    Manage video quality
    We know that some of you have internet data caps and we want to make it easier for you to manage how much data you use.
    We offer 3 video quality settings to help you manage your data usage. No matter what level you choose, your Netflix membership price will remain the same.

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)

Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)

Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

Not sure if this would apply if using xbox/PS3 or just on PC.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    So OSX isn't supported then? Is this the same in the US? Seems like an odd decision for them to make.
    Yeah, OSX is supported – was just testing on it (Chrome, OS 10.8).

• Advertisement

Oh Silverlight is supported on the Mac. But like most proprietary plugins, it's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There is a version of Silverlight for OS X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jaysus. only signed up now and the amount of stuff on it is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

gambiaman wrote: »
    Cheers Oatsey, that's great so!

PS You get the US content when on a US Ip? Just to confirm.

Yes. I can view Psych, Burn Notice, How I met your mother etc. with the VPN active. No sign of those three shows when I turn off the VPN and access the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Lads do I use the email linked with my Xbox GT to sign up for the trial or a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, OSX is supported – was just testing on it (Chrome, OS 10.8).
    Oh Silverlight is supported on the Mac. But like most proprietary plugins, it's crap.
    There is a version of Silverlight for OS X.

Oh right, okay, thanks guys.

I will give it a look so when they add a little more content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Good to hear its finally come to Ireland :D Does anybody know when the windows phone 7 /xbox apps are going to be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Good to hear its finally come to Ireland :D Does anybody know when the windows phone 7 /xbox apps are going to be released?

Xbox app available to download now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hi all

Havent signed up yet as credit card is in the red but I just browsed the TV section and if this is what they have available I'll give it a miss, unless you see more choice when you actually join?:

https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseGenres/TV/83

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Hi all

Havent signed up yet as credit card is in the red but I just browsed the TV section and if this is what they have available I'll give it a miss, unless you see more choice when you actually join?:

https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseGenres/TV/83

Ignore that page. It is horribly inaccurate. They will need to fox that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement