Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Footoo wrote: »
    Not sure if you managed to sort this but a reset in settings (not restore) did the trick for me.

cheers for this, I had no netflix, but now I do, after a reset, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Roar wrote: »
    pretty sure that's complete and utter BS.

He was the Netflix CEO and co founder so I doubt it was BS. He was on the Breakfast show with Ivan and Chris

Did anyone else catch exactly what he said?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I don't use Facebook but the only choice I was offered was to sign up via Facebook. I really wanted to try Netflix so I went to my wife, who does use Facebook, and asked her to sign up for me. On her computer however the only choice was email.

A non facebook user is offered Facebook only and a Facebook user is offered email only. What gives? It only offers you one or the other. There doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

I assume it uses cookies of some kind to determine whether or not you use Facebook and I am sure someone may have logged into Facebook on my computer at some time in the past but how come it didn't detect that my wife is a regular Facebook user?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I don't really get your comment.

When you're signed into Facebook, the Facebook login (i.e 'Sign in with Facebook') is more prominent.

Just sign out of Facebook and you'll have the option to 'or sign up using email address'.

When it detects a user signed into Facebook, it attempts to make the registration easier (or more intrusive depending on how you look at it) by linking the accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Basq wrote: »
    I don't really get your comment.

When you're signed into Facebook, the Facebook login (i.e 'Sign in with Facebook') is more prominent.

Just sign out of Facebook and you'll have the option to 'or sign up using email address'.

When it detects a user signed into Facebook, it attempts to make the registration easier (or more intrusive depending on how you look at it) by linking the accounts.

Hi Basq, the behaviour I noticed seems exactly opposite to that. On my computer (not logged into Facebook). I got a big "sign up for free trial using Facebook" box with no mention of signup via email. On my wife's computer (Facebook user, I don't recall whether she was logged into Facebook or not at the time) she got the same Free trial box but instead of asking for Facebook it just asked for an email.

Both of us were using Firefox browser but my computer is running Windows 7 while my wife's is using Windows XP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

tui0hcg wrote: »
    the guy on Newstalk mentioned that to get most upto date movies you need to have a premium accout and not the 'unlimited' account you have for €6.99

maybe there is better content and more up to date if you pay more
    I cant see an option to upgrade anywhere on the site

I only caught a bit of that interview, but all I heard him say was that content would be improving all the time and if people want new tv shows etc they should go to the iTunes Store. Netflix don't offer premium content at the moment and it doesn't seem to be something that they are interested in. I'm open to correction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

It's only a day old and people are complaining about content! :rolleyes: This is probably the earliest they could launch and did so with a trimmed down catalogue. Otherwise it mightn't be here for another 6 months or so.

I started watching season 1 of 24 on it last night. I think it's great, and it'll obviously get much better in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Bad Panda wrote: »
    It's only a day old and people are complaining about content! :rolleyes: This is probably the earliest they could launch and did so with a trimmed down catalogue. Otherwise it mightn't be here for another 6 months or so.

I started watching season 1 of 24 on it last night. I think it's great, and it'll obviously get much better in time.

Some people will never be happy. 7 quid a month, HD content, only a day old and its getting battered already :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Brilliant! I am loving this...

Had it up and running on my Xoom, Nexus S and PS3 within minutes. I am loving the PS3 app as it shows you which shows come in HD and with 5.1 surround sound. Looks and sounds the biz on the 50" with my 5.1 Wharfedale/Cambridge Audio setup....

I won't miss €7 euro a month, cheap as chips!

The fact that I spent 3 hours last night reliving my childhood watching x-men, spiderman, power rangers, iron man and even an episode of the rugrats has made the 7 quid next month (first month free) totally worth it....

Plenty of room for the content to grow....

I can see this being the Death Knell of some ISP (land and mobile) if they don't start upgrading lines/networks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

dodzy wrote: »
    Some people will never be happy. 7 quid a month, HD content, only a day old and its getting battered already :rolleyes:
    It's getting battered because it doesn't have the same catalogue as the US and probably never will given Sky's stranglehold on the market here and yet we have to pay more than the US do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

the guy on Newstalk mentioned that to get most upto date movies you need to have a premium accout and not the 'unlimited' account you have for €6.99

maybe there is better content and more up to date if you pay more
    I cant see an option to upgrade anywhere on the site

Yeah I think there will eventually be a pay-per-view service for latest releases although I see no mention of it on the website.

Re. picture quality, it seems that instead of buffering (youtube style) that the picture gets gradually better, so lets say you scroll half an hour into the film it will start playing in SD and then 15-20 seconds later it will sharpen up and eventually play in HD. I guess it makes it quicker to 'rewind' 'fast forward'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

LumpyGravy wrote: »
    Yeah I think there will eventually be a pay-per-view service for latest releases although I see no mention of it on the website.'
    I'm not so sure. He was basically plugging Apple for new releases this morning. Doesn't sound like a guy who has plans for pay-per-view. Netflix seem quite happy with their place in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

content is pretty poor to be honest but early days, will stick to itunes, will netflix ever have new release movies and tv shows shortly after they air? can't see why anyone would want to pay 7 p/m for old stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

KerranJast wrote: »
    It's getting battered because it doesn't have the same catalogue as the US and probably never will given Sky's stranglehold on the market here and yet we have to pay more than the US do.
    They can make more in a month off a single US city then theyll manage in a year here but still have to dig through all ours and the UKs licensing laws. We're not exactly a big market or have a great broadband infrastructure so they could very easily have passed us over and just focused on the UK.
    Although its 7 euro a month so therell always be people wanting it for 6/5/4/3 no matter what its set at or how much content is there.

jc84 wrote: »
    content is pretty poor to be honest but early days, will stick to itunes, will netflix ever have new release movies and tv shows shortly after they air? can't see why anyone would want to pay 7 p/m for old stuff

Why not? Lots of people enjoy old movies and tv shows.
    Netflix makes their business off people who want a large back catalogue to watch at a low price. They wait until is economically viable to license the content instead of paying higher prices for the new stuff.
    Simple fact is if Netflix decides to get the new releases faster they have to pay more so we pay more

I'm not so sure. He was basically plugging Apple for new releases this morning. Doesn't sound like a guy who has plans for pay-per-view. Netflix seem quite happy with their place in the market.

Im happy with it too!
    Now I can stop rooting for live Power Ranger downloads with good quality >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

And it's pretty easy to cancel and rejoin.
    I haven't watched much US tv shows in the past but have got into a few lately and this would be perfect for me for on/off access to boxsets.
    So far, with an irish account and US VPN it appears to be letting me access all the US content and go back again to ireland/UK stuff. (I'll probably get cut off for doing that but anyhow)
    Streaming is flawless and smooth and pickup on other devices is a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Watched a few things in the last few nights and its been mostly good. The stream quality can be hit and miss though.

Hitchhiker's Guide streamed without issue, as did a couple of episodes of Doctor Who and Warehouse 13 (the second at a noticeably lower quality than the first mind). Couldn't watch the first episode of Firefly though as it kept skipping, but I'll try that again tonight.

On a 30Mb UPC connection and was watching both on and off peak hours (Warehouse 13 and its variable quality was at silly hours this morning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

jc84 wrote: »

That's kind of the point though. Netflix is cheap because it's mostly old stuff. And there's a ton of old stuff on it that I'm sure most people haven't seen, especially on the TV shows section.

Really wish they had an option to browse by director or genre. Seems dumb that they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Did a few tests last night and below are the results and a few thoughts

8Mb Vodafone BB package – seems to only stream in SD and can’t get HD to work – no real buffer time so all good so far
    Installed on Wii, PC and Xbox – no issues (Wii interface seems the easiest to navigate of the 2 games consoles)
    PC interface seems to have all the settings (account and stream quality etc) – hard to locate settings on the Wii and Xbox
    Would not work on Android HTC Desire – phone keeps rebooting so uninstalled
    I can watch 2 different streams on the PC and Wii at the same time but can’t watch 2 streams when the Xbox (with PC or Wii) is involved as it gave me some warning about ‘account in use on another device’ so it looks like the Xbox is the only one smart enough to spot that

Content is limited and TBH I am not sure if it’s worth the money. Some of the stuff is from 4OD and there is an app for that on the Xbox or PC. Might give it the month’s trial and see how it goes. Only + so far content wise is the kids shows that I could see young ones watching on the Wii in the play room (Barney and Thomas the Tank Engine etc)
    Must do some more digging to get a proper feel for it on all platforms

there may be stuff from 40D there but its nice not to have to watch the 3/4 adds they usually run before the stream starts.

7 euro a month for what will be (im sure) a comprehensive back-catalogue of tv shows, movies and documentaries is a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Really wish they had an option to browse by director or genre. Seems dumb that they don't
    How are you browsing? They have both these options on the website.

Netflix_searchs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

How are you browsing? They have both these options on the website.

Netflix_searchs.jpg
    PS3. You can only browse by film/TV show titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

gave this a go on my ps3 and was quite disappointed to find that there are no subtitles available for those who are hard of hearing. Subtitles are available to Netflix users in the US and Canada. http://blog.netflix.com/2011/02/30-of-netflix-streaming-content-has.html

surely it's not too much trouble to implement that here when it is already rolled out in North America. Anyone know if they have any plans to enable subtitles for deaf users?

edit: just been told by a co-worker that the subtitles are enabled for the PC version of netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

bada_bing wrote: »
    gave this a go on my ps3 and was quite disappointed to find that there are no subtitles available for those who are hard of hearing. Subtitles are available to Netflix users in the US and Canada. http://blog.netflix.com/2011/02/30-of-netflix-streaming-content-has.html

surely it's not too much trouble to implement that here when it is already rolled out in North America. Anyone know if they have any plans to enable subtitles for deaf users?

subtitles are working on the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

CMpunked wrote: »
    I was seeing if two people were watching stuff would there be any lag and if so on each one. Both were watchable and no lag.

I have a better reason for this ONE DEVICE rule. If you could play even just 2 devices at the time, i would share the monthly fee with my friend and we could both watch.... you see now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Mindkiller wrote: »

I have to try again but i think the Search function on the Xbox App could take actors/directors names...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It will never be the same as the US and you are very unrealistic to think that it would.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It will never be the same as the US and you are very unrealistic to think that it would.
    Probably. I just wish there was a viable alternative to having to "ask the cousins" for my TV content. Hell I'd pay a tenner a month *and* watch the ads if I could have such a service. Effectively I want Hulu hear but it's never gonna happen :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Probably. I just wish there was a viable alternative to having to "ask the cousins" for my TV content. Hell I'd pay a tenner a month *and* watch the ads if I could have such a service. Effectively I want Hulu hear but it's never gonna happen :(
    Just get a US VPN and you can watch Hulu here. Should cost less than a tenner a month, but you will have to put up with the ads (which seem to be getting longer!).

• Advertisement

Johnmb wrote: »
    Just get a US VPN and you can watch Hulu here. Should cost less than a tenner a month, but you will have to put up with the ads (which seem to be getting longer!).
    I tried that before but the cost of a decent speed VPN + Hulu Premium (for 720p) is more than I currently pay for Newsgroup access.
    If I could figure out a way of tricking my 360 into playing US Hulu then it might be worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement