Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I only caught a bit of that interview, but all I heard him say was that content would be improving all the time and if people want new tv shows etc they should go to the iTunes Store. Netflix don't offer premium content at the moment and it doesn't seem to be something that they are interested in. I'm open to correction though.

there may be stuff from 40D there but its nice not to have to watch the 3/4 adds they usually run before the stream starts.

7 euro a month for what will be (im sure) a comprehensive back-catalogue of tv shows, movies and documentaries is a bargain.

Yup - just replayed the clip
    he said
    "Unlimited is not going to get the latest releases. To get these you need to use a Pay per View streaming service such as iTunes etc"

So that to me says they have no interest in newest content and it will be stuff that could be between a few weeks and a few years old. I think that would help Xtravision and places like that as you deffo wont get the new release DVD on Netflix as quickly as Xtravision. To me I dont think I will get the worth out of it (€7 is really cheap buit its still €7). If I want to watch old stuff there are other places to get content and I really dont mind the adverts (leaves we time to make a cuppa or get a beer from the fridge!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Some serious mis understanding and interpretation fo what netflix is.

Typical Irish consumer not reading about something in detail beforehand imo.

Netflix is not a service to get your new releases and new tv shows on.

Netflix has been, and will cotinue to be, a back catalogue service where you can find and locate older movies and TV shows that can be difficult to find today.

Back catalogue and older releases on TV shows and movies enables them to turn a higher profit.

There would be a significant investment required on their part to have new release movies and TV shows.

Netflix won't be current, it is not what they are, they have never been current, EVER.

But it is probably the best service you could use to find older movies and TV shows.

So all the grumblings about " there is no new content" is just poor education on the consumers part, and not poor service on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Yup - just replayed the clip
    he said
    "Unlimited is not going to get the latest releases. To get these you need to use a Pay per View streaming service such as iTunes etc"

So that to me says they have no interest in newest content and it will be stuff that could be between a few weeks and a few years old. I think that would help Xtravision and places like that as you deffo wont get the new release DVD on Netflix as quickly as Xtravision. To me I dont think I will get the worth out of it (€7 is really cheap buit its still €7). If I want to watch old stuff there are other places to get content and I really dont mind the adverts (leaves we time to make a cuppa or get a beer from the fridge!!)
    As opposed to that pause button thingy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

TheDoc wrote: »

Netflix has been, and will cotinue to be, a back catalogue service where you can find and locate older movies and TV shows that can be difficult to find today.

Back catalogue and older releases on TV shows and movies enables them to turn a higher profit.

There would be a significant investment required on their part to have new release movies and TV shows.

Netflix won't be current, it is not what they are, they have never been current, EVER.

But it is probably the best service you could use to find older movies and TV shows.

So all the grumblings about " there is no new content" is just poor education on the consumers part, and not poor service on their part.

No, Laser in Ranelagh is way better.

As opposed to that pause button thingy :confused:

If he pressed pause as ads came on, got a beer and came back then pressed it again he would have a load of ads to sit through, thus defeating the purpose of fridge visit.

• Advertisement

If he pressed pause as ads came on, got a beer and came back then pressed it again he would have a load of ads to sit through, thus defeating the purpose of fridge visit.

Batteries in the remote are wacked also at the moment so pressing the pause button is an unnecessary strain on them :rolleyes:

TheDoc wrote: »

They may want to chage their tag line so or reflect this in the site somewhere

Watch what you want, when you want. Unlimited!

As I want to watch new releases and up to date TV shows

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Watch what you want, when you want. Unlimited!

I think its pretty clear that the "what you want" is a meaning within the constraint of their catalogue..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I thought most people would have known Netflix is back catalog stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

gambiaman wrote: »

I think the back catalogue in the states is a lot more recent than ours though. My brother out there swears by it and I don't thin he's watching 10 year old stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 shewhodoesnot

This is awesome! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Bad Panda wrote: »
    I started watching season 1 of 24 on it last night.

Ditto!

I think this is a fecking brilliant service for 7 quid a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

gambiaman wrote: »
    Unfortunately the back catalogue is significantly bigger in the US than it is here. Although, the archaic content licencing / copyright laws in Europe probably make it difficult to have as much content quickly here.

Add to that various exclusivity deals that LoveFilm, Sky and NetFlix have all tried to tie up means that each service doesn't have a full library that would be a killer selection.

That being said, I've already found a good few things that would be worth watching. The €6.99 per month without having to commit to a contact would seem to be a great offering, particularly as they seem to plan on adding content regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

No, Laser in Ranelagh is way better.

No, Laser is Ranelagh is, erm, in Ranelagh. I'm not!

ZeRoY wrote: »
    I think its pretty clear that the "what you want" is a meaning within the constraint of their catalogue..... :rolleyes:
    what you want :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

what you want :rolleyes:

Youve already proven youre not Netflix's demographic but now you want them to change cause you find it technically incorrect by your demands even though their objective has been explained multiple times?
    pedanticoo6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

is there a text based catalogue of the US Netflix anywhere?

Cant seem to find one.

Would be interesting to see what kind of level they are on in comparison to the current Irish catalogue.

It will probably end up somewhere in between in terms of numbers of titles on offer.

Youve already proven youre not Netflix's demographic but now you want them to change cause you find it technically incorrect by your demands even though their objective has been explained multiple times?

Not at all - I could be in their demographic and would be willing to give it a go if the content was a little more recent like our US cousins get (some stuff is released on Netflix 90 days after its aired on TV) So I am just wondering if that will happen here or if they are going to just provide a pretty dated back catalogue – only time will tell
    Never suggested they change their operating model to suit me - just wanted to find out the general amount of stuff I could view on the service and at present my view is that its only average

I have been educated now in the fact that the service is mainly a back catalogue even though you can dig through their web site and on Wikipedia entry and you don’t find any mention of this that I can find. It is hard to see what you can get from the service if you could only sign up yesterday and browse the content so its been enlightening for me!

From all the hype and the talk around this before its release I was obviously mistaken in thinking it would be an internet streaming service to replace going to a bricks and mortar DVD rental shop down the road

Not at all - I could be in their demographic and would be willing to give it a go if the content was a little more recent like our US cousins get (some stuff is released on Netflix 90 days after its aired on TV) So I am just wondering if that will happen here or if they are going to just provide a pretty dated back catalogue – only time will tell
    Never suggested they change their operating model to suit me - just wanted to find out the general amount of stuff I could view on the service and at present my view is that its only average

I have been educated now in the fact that the service is mainly a back catalogue even though you can dig through their web site and on Wikipedia entry and you don’t find any mention of this that I can find. It is hard to see what you can get from the service if you could only sign up yesterday and browse the content so its been enlightening for me!

From all the hype and the talk around this before its release I was obviously mistaken in thinking it would be an internet streaming service to replace going to a bricks and mortar DVD rental shop down the road

What puts me off is unlike Lovefilm (launching here soon I heard) and Itunes etc you can't see what they have without signing up, pretty bad decision imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

Mindkiller wrote: »
    That's kind of the point though. Netflix is cheap because it's mostly old stuff. And there's a ton of old stuff on it that I'm sure most people haven't seen, especially on the TV shows section.

Exactly.

There's plenty of old TV there you could start watching, and then more content slowly added...

Finished all the episodes? Jump over to a new show.

Watched the firt 4 episodes of Californication last night, along with Once and Lost in Translation. Great service for €7 a month. I think the content is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

What puts me off is unlike Lovefilm (launching here soon I heard) and Itunes etc you can't see what they have without signing up, pretty bad decision imo.

that is really annoying but at least you get the free month to have a browse and test it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

(some stuff is released on Netflix 90 days after its aired on TV) So I am just wondering if that will happen here

I am looking on the American site atm and shows like How I Met Your Mother and Glee are not up to date like you suggest they might be. Other shows like House, Modern Family, Fear Factor and CSI don't even appear.

What shows are you referring to?

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I am looking on the American site atm and shows like How I Met Your Mother and Glee are not up to date like you suggest they might be. Other shows like House, Modern Family, Fear Factor and CSI don't even appear.

What shows are you referring to?

From the wiki site

In August 2010, Epix signed a 5 year, deal with Netflix that will allow their customers to instantly watch Epix movies 90-days after they premiere on Epix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

So it's not all studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

For TV shows, its been mentioned here already that if it's not out on DVD here yet do not expect it to be up for streaming at all. Even Netflix US users have to wait a good bit (brand new shows go up on Hulu). And don't expect every single season of every show to appear, even in the US the coverage is patchy at best. On my browse through the US listings there's no West Wing, no Seinfeld, nothing from HBO (they have their own service in the US and have an exclusive deal with Sky in the UK/Ireland), no Fringe etc etc etc.

People will find something to complain about simply for the sake of it. For years we heard complaints regarding the lack of a dedicated unlimited streaming service for film and tv. We Finially get one and all we hear is that the films/shows are too old or that we're being ripped off.

I for one am quite happy with what we have got and I'm looking forward to seeing the service expand over time. For less than the cost of two pints I can now enjoy a lot of films and shows that I may otherwise have never bothered with aswell as many that I all ready enjoyed.

It's not a perfect service but it's going to grow and expand and whe we may never have the selection that the US has at least now Ill never be stuck for something to watch. Even if that is up some long forgotten 70s bruceploitation film with the worst dubbing imaginable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The PS3 app seems to have a problem with subtitles. They work on most films, but I've come across a few foreign language films where they don't work at all. Sloppy sh*t like this will put me off using it altogether.

And the CEO was on Drivetime earlier and said they hoped to double the amount of content by the end if the year. TBH they'd want to be doubling it within the next two months if they want to keep me as a subscriber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Heh, somehow i seem to be getting High HD quality on my PS3 (Watching the Usual Suspects). Audio seems to be a bit off, not sure if it's the movie or the stream though :/

4MBish broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Just signed up for my free trial today and I'm very satisfied with the content. I guess I'm well within their target audience because a catalogue of instantly accessible TV shows, documentaries and movies is exactly what I want and the price is well worth it. Not too pushed about the lack of new releases, I was under the impression that wasn't really part of their business model.

The only thing I feel is missing is a way to bookmark stuff for later. Or maybe it's there and I can't find it? Would be handy, I've spotted loads of stuff I want to watch at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Gauge wrote: »
    Just signed up for my free trial today and I'm very satisfied with the content. I guess I'm well within their target audience because a catalogue of instantly accessible TV shows, documentaries and movies is exactly what I want and the price is well worth it. Not too pushed about the lack of new releases, I was under the impression that wasn't really part of their business model.

The only thing I feel is missing is a way to bookmark stuff for later. Or maybe it's there and I can't find it? Would be handy, I've spotted loads of stuff I want to watch at some stage.

There is meant to be a queue/bookmark system on Netflix - I have it on the addon in XBMC but not on the PC.

I know the various frontends on different platforms are a bit hit and miss (the XBMC one is definitely that) but on the PC or mac I'd have thought it be would be there from day 1?

Maybe it is and I can't see it for some reason?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement