Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Will we get an apple TV app, like the us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Very pleased with the service, although there's a serious back log of tv shows missing from the service you'd expect to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

CMpunked wrote: »
    I can confirm that if you have/set up a US account, the app works for xbox live. :D

Hey CMpunkedI got it downloaded with my American account and I am on it now on my Irish one. When it loads it says are you a Netflix user - Yes/No. I choose no and it asks do I want a free trial and to go to netflix.com/xbox

Do I sign in with my facebook to do this? Do I need to cancel the service before the month as they will charge the credit card there after automatically?

Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭feckhead

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Hey CMpunkedI got it downloaded with my American account and I am on it now on my Irish one. When it loads it says are you a Netflix user - Yes/No. I choose no and it asks do I want a free trial and to go to netflix.com/xbox

Do I sign in with my facebook to do this? Do I need to cancel the service before the month as they will charge the credit card there after automatically?

Cheers man.

From here: http://www.gmrfm.com/3811

1. Sign into your Xbox live profile. You’ll need a Gold account in order for this to work.

2. Go to the “Bing” search engine on the left and type in “Netflix” into the search bar, press down to highlight “start search for: netflix” and press A. Normally video apps appear in the app marketplace, however the Netflix app will not be available there.

3. Click on the red Netflix app (it should be the first result) and download.

4. When the download is complete, you’ll find the netflix app in the “My Video Apps” section under the video header.

5. You can then either setup an account online through a PC here, or you can create one through the app on your 360. I highly recommend creating one through PC as I definitely know it works this way. Also, your first month is free!

6. Sign in using your login details. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

feckhead wrote: »
    From here: http://www.gmrfm.com/3811

1. Sign into your Xbox live profile. You’ll need a Gold account in order for this to work.

2. Go to the “Bing” search engine on the left and type in “Netflix” into the search bar, press down to highlight “start search for: netflix” and press A. Normally video apps appear in the app marketplace, however the Netflix app will not be available there.

3. Click on the red Netflix app (it should be the first result) and download.

4. When the download is complete, you’ll find the netflix app in the “My Video Apps” section under the video header.

5. You can then either setup an account online through a PC here, or you can create one through the app on your 360. I highly recommend creating one through PC as I definitely know it works this way. Also, your first month is free!

6. Sign in using your login details. Enjoy!
    Can confirm this works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

How do I register online? I am trying to use the 1 month free trial with facebook but I cant progress any further than terms and conditions. Also I would prefer to create an account rather than linking one to facebook.

EDIT: Sorry nevermind I am in work and just checked my phone and there are more options available!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

DrMorphine wrote: »
    How do I register online? I am trying to use the 1 month free trial with facebook but I cant progress ay further than terms and conditions. Also I would prefer to create an account rather than linking one to facebook

I am not sure what problem you are having with T&C. You should register on a 360, PS3, Wii or iPad if you can - it bypasses the Facebook option

tinodz wrote: »
    I am not sure what problem you are having with T&C. You should register on a 360, PS3, Wii or iPad if you can - it bypasses the Facebook option

Yeah all signup buttons are hidden/blocked in work! Checked on the phone and I can sign up with just my email aswell. happy days! Been waiting for netflix for soo long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Do I have to do this Facebook sharing crap to sign up to the free trial?
    No - there's a small hyperlink at the bottom of that 1-Month Trial box that says "or sign up using email". Would probably be preferrable if you aren't on Facebook, or you would just prefer to have the two accounts separate.

Or use the link https://signup.netflix.com/home?country=1&rdirfdc=true#useemail
    Adding &useemail to the end of the signup URL switches the signup form to the email one.

The site is pretty poorly laid out and not showing any sample content for users before they sign up is a bit bogey. What is there to encourage you to sign up other than a free month offer and brand recognition?

Does anyone have a list or decent link to the list of TV programs or movies available at launch? The US site lets you browse through some of the content to see what's available before signing up. Not doing that over here makes it look like they are a little ashamed of the selection that is available at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Connected to it via Facebook. Had to change my password to get it to run on the Android app though. Really impressed with the quality of the stream on my phone.
    When I get home tonight I'll try some movies and some of the hd content with my ps3.

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm if visa debit works for signing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if visa debit works for signing up?
    It does

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Breaking Bad,Rescue Me,Hey Arnold + many more,all on the Xbox free for a month,awesome!
    How much of Breaking Bad do they have? Season 3 and 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the selection seems pretty poor. no new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Anyone watching it on Apple TV?
    Does it work with irish itunes account or do you need US one?

How much of Breaking Bad do they have? Season 3 and 4?
    Seasons 1-3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I already had a US account, with a jailbroken netflix app to watch on my iphone. Updated the app this morning, and my US account works fine, albeit with the more limited Irish selection. Have to log in when connected to a proxy to get the full US selection.

And for anyone who hasn't used netflix before, it's fanbloodytastic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Dunno about the selection, but watching Arrested Development and the HD streaming is fantastic!

HD Breaking Bad by any chance? It's free for a month too, isn't it?

I am presuming, there are deals to be made that will mean we will get some new releases in the coming weeks. if so then, at €7 a month it's a no brainer. if not then people will only get a couple of month of value from it.

I’m impressed with the TV section (far better than I thought) and some decent foreign language stuff but the lack of big studio new releases is glaring.

Saying that , I think it’s great value for any entry level film enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Is the selection better than advertised on the website?

I hear people talking about shows like Breaking Bad and Hey Arnold but I can's see them on the "browse list" here: https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseSelection

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The selection is crap, but as already said, hopefully that will change soon. I'm impressed with the HD quality though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mad Mike wrote: »

I hear people talking about shows like Breaking Bad and Hey Arnold but I can's see them on the "browse list" here: https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseSelection

Season 1 and 2 of breaking bad available, seasons 1 to 5 of hey Arnold.

Selection appears as expected to me, mostly a couple of years old stuff but a large enough selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

When you sign up do you get to see a wider range of titles? The choice is pretty crap to be honest. Where are all the new releases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The selection is piss-poor at the moment. Maybe it'll get better over time but there's a lot of big movie studios missing.

At the moment in the UK it looks like Sky Movies, Lovefilm and Netflix all have various exclusive streaming deals with content providers.

The movie companies are shooting themselves in the foot with all these exclusive deals, because streaming services are never going to catch on if you have to pay 6.99 to Netflix for Paramount and 20th Century Fox films, then you have to pay another 6.99 to Lovefilm for Warner and Sony Pictures, then another 6.99 to Sky Movies..etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Mad Mike wrote: »

I found more titles when I did the alphabetical search.

For instance, searching under 't', I found both series of Twin Peaks although it wasn't showing up on the main screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Not sure how it will work here, but in the US don't they add new content every week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

I signed up last night and was watching a movie on my laptop and then i paused it and continued watching it on the iPad app, agree content is not the greatest at the moment but the CEO was on radio this morning and he said they will be adding new content weekly and what is available at the moment is just launch and new providers are already nearly ready to go. I reckon give it a go nothing to loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'd leave it for a month till they get some decent content up, or contact them to extend your free trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

All signed up..

I was using this on my cousins Nintendo Wii when I was in America last month. Much bigger selection over there. But it's great anyway, as I don't have the ability to pick of terrestrial or satellite TV due to the location of my apartment. Hopefully I can get rid of all those USB hard drives hanging out of the back of my HTPC with all my old movies on them.

First thing I did was UP my broadband allowance. Just as well I checked because we were going well over it anyway with all the YouTube videos we were streaming for our baby daughter on a daily basis. We were getting clobbered for an extra €20 a month from vodafone for the extra 100gigs we were pulling down. I cancelled the €3.99 extra a month for the aditional 30gigs and bought the €5.99 a month 150gb add on. I have to wonder how things are going to progress on this respect as I already see providers in the US like Comcast and Dish getting strict about download caps due to people cancelling their premium channels and taking out netflix subscriptions. Time for UPC/Chorus to sit up. I wonder how xtravision is going to fair out here as already Blockbuster video and Redbox have been slammed hard across the pond.

A final point on the bandwith issue. If you're not watching in HD you might want to turn that off. I had to do it anyway because our 3mb download speed couldn't buffer the stream this morning. I wonder if everyone on our exchange starts using netflix does that mean no internet for us in the evenings?

Is there Ipad and windows phone apps available here yet? I did check the market place (WP7) this morning but I didn't see anything relating to netflix.

Has anyone tried this on the Wii yet?

Can you log in on two devices at the same time and watch different content?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

just read there that someone with a 3mb broadband is having trouble getting it to stream for him, im on a 1mb package ( living in the deepest darkest countryside ), is there even any point in bothering with netflix or anything similar , apple tv or whatever..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement