Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a child under 30 - wasting your life.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Not everyone wants a career, you know that dont you?

yes, but you do need to have some kind of a career/savings before thinking of settling down/having kids etc, unless your either rich/going to sponge off your partner/sponge off the state forever, or the best part of imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    exactly, but there are some mistakes you cant/or may be hard to take back imho

exactly. how many single parents regret that one night stand after coppers, that left them with a child and stuck in a house all day with a 4 year old child as their best friend...

thats what you call a mistake, not taking the decision to enjoy your life and live it,and try to raise kids in the environment they deserve - a stable home with parents who both have their kids at their best interests, not somebody who may want to be somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Not everyone wants a career, you know that dont you?

well the better the career you have, the better chance your children have of having a good up bringing.

its not possible to raise a child properly on minimum wage or on the dole.

and when i say a career, i mean a simple 9-5 job that can afford to pay the mortgage and bills and not be worried about the kids going to school with tatty clothes and hungry some days.

people forget, that if you neglect things such as your health, your sanity, your career, even your marraige/relationship, then the child will suffer in the long run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I have never seen a country more obsessed with people having a career.
    I have lived in Can the states and Aus and you dont see nowhere near the same obsession over there with careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    exactly, but there are some mistakes you cant/or may be hard to take back imho

she may have been fertile all along though, no
    ?

It was just a common problem, blocked tubes or something like that but it went undiagnosed for years had progressed and it was almost too late at that stage.

If she had been trying for a baby at 23-26 the problem would have been spotted and the treatment wouldn't have been that intensive the doctors were saying.

Anyway you can tell that OP doesn't have much life experience, because if you ask any woman they will tell you, that there drive for a career, education, travel and all that goes out the window when they have kids.

None of those things matter anymore when they have kids and the education they had, places they have seen, don't count for much when it's 800 euro a month per child for creche fee's.You would want a hell of an education to go back to work for those prices :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

well the better the career you have, the better chance your children have of having a good up bringing.

Who told you this?
    What utter crap you talk, the vast majority of people i know there parents never had a career and they got raised perfectly well, actually a lot better than a lot of the spoilt greedy and superficial kids raised by people who think money is the be all and end all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

errm, she was probably infertile at 25 also, so your point is irrelevant.

It was treatable then, the female body is at its most fertile at 14-19 years old.

That's a fact.Media might tell you its 20's but that's bull****.

After teens it slows down and at 30 your body is getting old, after that it rapidly slows down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Squall19 wrote: »
    It was just a common problem, blocked tubes or something like that but it went undiagnosed for years had progressed and it was almost too late at that stage.

If she had been trying for a baby at 23-26 the problem would have been spotted and the treatment wouldn't have been that intensive the doctors were saying.

Anyway you can tell that OP doesn't have much life experience, because if you ask any woman they will tell you, that there drive for a career, education, travel and all that goes out the window when they have kids.

None of those things matter anymore when they have kids and the education they had, places they have seen, don't count for much when it's 800 euro a month per child for creche fee's.You would want a hell of an education to go back to work for those prices :eek:

well im very sorry to hear that there, hope it does all work out for her, if she really does want a child. but if all that career prospects/education/travel go out the window when someone has children then all the more reason to get it all out of the way before having children, unless having a child is the only thing on their life/priorties list. thats just imho though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

*sigh*

I had my first child at 16 and my second at 24. I never left school, and did my Leaving Cert with the rest of my friends. I went to college and finished my degree and as soon as I finished college I started working full time and have continued to work full time in a professional career ever since. I am 29 now.

I am in a long term relationship and getting married in a couple of months.

I own my own house and have never lived in council housing.

I go on holidays / short breaks every year (with and without the kids).

When does all the life sucking start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

What does living in council housing have to do with anything ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Possibly the best thing you can tell a girl you just knocked up.

Kaneda_ wrote: »

If you want to move out of home and dont want to pay 150-200 a week on rent,have a child and the the social will give you a house,then proceed to allow the father/bf to live there with you,the entire county is doing this.

Wonder Woman: What does council living in council housing have to do with anything?

I just referenced it in my post in response to the OP. I was just pointing out that I never received hand outs of any kind even though I was a single mother at 16. I my act together and worked hard to get everything I have.

Shivers26 wrote: »
    Wonder Woman: What does council living in council housing have to do with anything?

I just referenced it in my post in response to the OP. I was just pointing out that I never received hand outs of any kind even though I was a single mother at 16. I my act together and worked hard to get everything I have.

fair play to you

but not everyone who gets handouts find it easy , some people feel its the most demeaning thing they have to do - but they have to survive simply .

I don't get people looking down their noses at those people either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ITT: People who feel their choices are the correct ones, and everyone else should feel the same way they feel.

Although having a child VERY young, as in mid teens, can be hard - and make the parent(s) wish it happened later than it did, but it's not necessarily a life wasted.

I don't get people looking down their noses at those people either

I most definitely do not look down my nose as anybody. I really don't.

Obviously having a child at 16 was no picnic and it would have been better to wait til I was older but these things happen and I was just lucky that my life was not totally ruined as a result of having children young.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Until we have free contraceptives for the under 25 and comprehensive sex ed in schools there will always be un planned pregnancies and people pressurised into having and keeping the baby.

But it's a baby it's not cancer, it's not a death sentence and just because a people had thier kids before 30 doesn't mean they are a burned on the state or that they will end up minding their grand kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

tasha200 wrote: »
    I am a mother of three, and my 11 year old son could right a post with more maturity than the op.... condecending and patronising, and I really hope the op doesnt have any kids, for a long long time, and when he/she does, he/she comes back on the this thread and reads exactly how ignorant and immature he/she was.

I hate little condecending twits. So yeah, defo dont breed.

:eek:

Shivers26 wrote: »
    I most definitely do not look down my nose as anybody. I really don't.

I wasnt talking about you but people speak about benefits and council estate living like its a trend or something - People would give their eye teeth not to be on the dole - Would you rather our people starve?

as for council estates I'm not getting whats wrong - they pay rent right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Op I would have agreed with you years ago but i`m 30 now and having difficulty getting pregnant. I wish i`d made a few more "mistakes" i realise now things aren`t black and white. Maybe if i had a good career, which i don`t, i would feel vindicaded in my decisions but i just feel silly now.

My biggest concern about the whole situation is that the world is over populated and i do feel it is selfish for people to just go around not in control of their base instincts - haven`t we evolved?! no we haven`t apparently and i should have thought less. I, and you, may be right but right is a lonely place to be when you love kids and are left with none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tasha200

Just wanted to pop back and apologise for my typo, ofcourse while writing my reply I was so busy worrying about all the ironing, and how I have only ever visited 12 different countries and how uncultured I am, and what with the fag hanging out my mouth and the child hanging off my t*t... I just couldnt concentrate... was also trying to clean my lovely council house with aldi cleaning products while on the phone to my social welfare officer looking for money for some cheap cans and new pyjamas to wear down the local, while my three kids hang about outside sharing one bag of taytos.
    I was also thinking about how my unemployed man was snoring upstairs and hiding his shoes incase the single parent inspectors come round like...
    and then i was also trying to Bebo my old school mates, ofcourse i done them proud by getting up the duff three times before im 35 :) and also while I was replying I was looking at the wall with all my lovely kids portraits, and thinking I should just take two of them down and put one of them on the wall seeing as they are all pretty much identical, even though each looks like their dad, so how they look identical what with them having three different dads and all, no wonder I didnt get time to go to school, college or even university, oh, wait, I forgot I did :) jesus, all that not being financially stable thing has given me early onset alzheimers....
    Sorry for the typo, my life was ruined by my kids, but its no excuse for shabby spelling,my 11 year old child can spell better than me, but that wont last long seeing as he comes from such a bad example of a mother he'll be out on the streets getting some young thing wearing pyjamas pregnant by the time he is 14 x awwwwww

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Lol

right OP, I'm just gonna start living my life the way you want me to...right....NOW!:rolleyes:

Why get so bothered about what other people miss out on? It doesn't affect your life, so get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I'd forgotten there was an OP in this thread ;)

Best wishes theg81der x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

What ever happened to live and let live?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

deisedave wrote: »
    Dude get a life, At what point did she mention she was taking state hand outs. By the way even if she is it still would not be any of your business.
    Insightful stuff. Notice the word "if". Then maybe go back and actually read the comments in there context before you get your knickers in a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I don't think you're basing your argument on a solid foundation here by taking the 'it is my tax therefore I'll dictate'(TM) stance.

There are legal entitlements for people, regardless whether you, the taxpayer or anyone else does agree. Looking further ahead, should you not be happy about the future tax intake by newly created prospective future taxpayers when you have retired and come looking for your state pension?
    No sorry dude. The world owes you nothing and it isnt up to the next man/woman to look after your family financially.

What ever happened to live and let live?

Never existed in AH - thats why im rarely in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Dudess wrote: »
    but it's not necessarily a life wasted.
    Ah it is though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

why is it assumed that only scumbag girls from council estates have kids young?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I totally agree with op,heres my view on it,my o/h just had our first child 6 weeks ago were both in our early 20's(22 and 20) and feel like a large part of our life has been taken from us we both have worked in basic jobs such as retail etc,we never had much chance to progress up the career ladder which we both were planning pre pregnancy to do by going back to fulltime education.

we never got the chance to move out together or even take a holiday as a couple shes my first g/f and I was naive and clumsy and didnt think it was so easy to get her pregnant.

We both had bigger and better plans than having a baby such as focusing on our careers and saving to buy a house now this plan is on hold and needs to be changed,yeah shes the cutest baby ever in our eyes etc etc but it would be great if she could of come in a few years down the line when we are able to provide for her better e.g us not be on welfare benefits or working in menial jobs and living at home with parents as im terrified that we might end up in the welfare trap now like the other half of the country cos "I knocked me missus up".

Advertisement