Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a child under 30 - wasting your life.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

IIRC Ireland has one of the highest averages in the world for first time childbearing so going by the premise of this thread we should be the most successful economy/society in the world ?
    biko wrote: »
    Letting a scumbag put his dick in you without protection is probably the stupidest decision a girl can possibly make.

:eek: as opposed to letting a scumbag put his dick in you with protection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    It isnt actually. Many people put zero thought into having a child because they're safe in the knowledge that the state will pick up the bill. Major problems down the road.

How many? Quantify.

Not having kids, and in my mid 30's myself, and reflecting that my dad was 41 when I was made, a piece of advice I'd give to my (possible) future children is 'Consider having kids young!' as a lifestyle choice.

Not everybody wants to travel around the world or has ambitions to hang out 1 year in South America, Australia or Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

It isnt actually. Many people put zero thought into having a child because they're safe in the knowledge that the state will pick up the bill. Major problems down the road.
    Well that's very different to "having a child to get money"

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Aren't all children under 30?

IMO and experience.............NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

How many? Quantify.

Not having kids, and in my mid 30's myself, and reflecting that my dad was 41 when I was made, a piece of advice I'd give to my (possible) future children is 'Consider having kids young!' as a lifestyle choice.

Not everybody wants to travel around the world or has ambitions to hang out 1 year in South America, Australia or Asia.
    Thats cool. Have em as young as you want providing you take proper care of them and dont go looking for handouts from the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

biko wrote: »
    Letting a scumbag put his dick in you without protection is probably the stupidest decision a girl can possibly make.

Jeez being a bit dramatic.....Most people have had a unprotected one night stand at some stage.And it is much more fun,condoms ruin sex:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I had two sons by the time I was 20, I have never been on welfare, I have travelled the world extensively, I have a post graduate level education, and I detest pyjamas. Both my sons are teenagers now, neither of them wear tracksuits outside of sporting activities, and they are in chess clubs, acting classes, debating teams, etc..
    Sometimes I wonder where I went wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Aren't all children under 30?

There's some talk of a 29 year old one on another thread at the moment............

Thats cool. Have em as young as you want providing you take proper care of them and dont go looking for handouts from the state.

I believe this is none of your, or anyone's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I believe this is none of your, or anyone's business.
    Well then you'd be wrong. Because if my tax money is going to support your family, then it very much is my business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I had two sons by the time I was 20, I have never been on welfare, I have travelled the world extensively, I have a post graduate level education, and I detest pyjamas. Both my sons are teenagers now, neither of them wear tracksuits outside of sporting activities, and they are in chess clubs, acting classes, debating teams, etc..

Shame on you ZombieBride. You have singlehandly damaged the reputation of us single mums! The snobbies will not be impressed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    I just tell it like it is,you cant deny the facts,however unpleasant they are.

Do you have statistics to back up these "facts"? I'd like to see that study published in the Irish Journal of Sociology (or The Star, whatever, I'm not fussy).

Headline: WEARING PJS MEANS SOCIAL WELFARE FRAUD!

New study reveals that girls from estates (nothing to do with population density of course) and those who wear PJs to the shops are more likely to commit social welfare fraud, by getting pregnant by accident/on purpose so as to get a free house and cash moneys for the rest of her days....ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Possibly on the snugness emissions front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

You have your school years,then third level education or you enter the job market and try to get yourself in a position to earn a living and forge a decent career for yourself,something that is very important.Having a child at such a young age puts these things on hold.

I had my child at 17. I studied for and sat my leaving cert while i was pregnant, had my child two months later, and then started my (first CAO choice) degree when she was five weeks old. not once did my education get put on hold. I am currently studying several books in preparation for my masters which i will begin once I have the money; so even while i'm not in formal education, my education is still not on hold. I also work as many hours as work will actually give me, while i look for a better job.
    Growing up, its easy to tell which girls will have a child as soon as they get a chance,its usually the girls from the estates,the ones who wear PJs to the shop,the ones who come from single parent familys themselves,the ones who get a name as being easy,if you get what i mean.

I dont wear PJs to the shop.
    My parents are happily married.
    And i dont have a name for myself AFAIK.
    Travel becomes near impossible or very hard at least,kids suck the life from you.

I've been abroad twice with my child and have travelled within Ireland too with her.
    If you want to move out of home and dont want to pay 150-200 a week on rent,have a child and the the social will give you a house,then proceed to allow the father/bf to live there with you,the entire county is doing this.

I live with her father in a rented house that we pay for ourselves.

stovelid wrote: »
    Possibly on the snugness emissions front.

I would rather be seen as a smug teenage mother than a scumbag one.

I would rather be seen as a smug teenage mother

Mission accomplished.

Well then you'd be wrong. Because if my tax money is going to support your family, then it very much is my business.

I don't think you're basing your argument on a solid foundation here by taking the 'it is my tax therefore I'll dictate'(TM) stance.

There are legal entitlements for people, regardless whether you, the taxpayer or anyone else does agree. Looking further ahead, should you not be happy about the future tax intake by newly created prospective future taxpayers when you have retired and come looking for your state pension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Ok ok ,maybe 28 would be the minimum,30-33 being a perfect age.

All these single mothers at 18-19 ,the majority of them didnt mean to get pregnant.

You have your school years,then third level education or you enter the job market and try to get yourself in a position to earn a living and forge a decent career for yourself,something that is very important.Having a child at such a young age puts these things on hold.

Growing up, its easy to tell which girls will have a child as soon as they get a chance,its usually the girls from the estates,the ones who wear PJs to the shop,the ones who come from single parent familys themselves,the ones who get a name as being easy,if you get what i mean.

Travel becomes near impossible or very hard at least,kids suck the life from you.

Every baby looks the same the first few weeks.

I love kids,but i also value my life and i wouldnt have a child until i am some way financially stable and have some direction in life.

If you want to move out of home and dont want to pay 150-200 a week on rent,have a child and the the social will give you a house,then proceed to allow the father/bf to live there with you,the entire county is doing this.
    My problem with you is that you are so stereotypical .

We all know the scroungers you are on about - but you forget that there are plenty of decent living people living in council estates . Not everyone gets pregnant for lone parents allowance . some young girls just cant help it however that being said there are girls that are just easy .

You may think the reason I am sticking up for these people is because I am one - far from it , no intention on having kids till I'm in my late 20's.

Don't put people in boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Having your kids in your mid 20s means they are all grown up by the time your in your mid 40s and you have the rest of your life, 30 years or so to do what you want and to travel.

Having kids doesn't stop you, lack of drive, ambition or being stuck in a poverty trap will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

That's just the problem Eve. The fact you don't agree with the original post doesn't change the presence of irony in a subsequent post. You're making an emotional response clouding your judgement.

There was no irony in it, though. Just ironing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

My problem with you is that you are so stereotypical .

We all know the scroungers you are on about - but you forget that there are plenty of decent living people living in council estates . Not everyone gets pregnant for lone parents allowance . some young girls just cant help it however that being said there are girls that are just easy .

You may think the reason I am sticking up for these people is because I am one - far from it , no intention on having kids till I'm in my late 20's.

Don't put people in boxes

Very good post,i agree with you.

You say we all know the people i tryed to describe,and we do.Its just so much easier to get a point across by being very sterotypical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    There's some talk of a 29 year old one on another thread at the moment............

I hope he enjoys his last year of childhood!

I would rather be seen as a smug teenage mother than a scumbag one.

I am being a bit harsh - sorry.

Fair play to you for your achievements under difficult circumstances. I just don't like when the merit of single parenting is reduced to social status or clothmg. Many people that don't have an education (or dress in a way that is the subject of societal scorn) are good parents despite the propaganda.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The OP needs to look at this graph:

http://huntgatherlove.com/userfiles/fert2.jpg

And realise that it is a sad indictment on 1st world that people don't feel 'stable' enough whether financially or emotionally to have kids until their 30's, because that's pretty much physically, the worst time to conceive. Lowest fertility, highest rate of complications. Nevermind the energy needed to run around after small kids.

I don't plan on breeding myself, but I would say to women who do plan to have kids, do it in your early twenties if you can at all. Even from a vanity point of view your body recovers an awful lot quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Its just so much easier to get a point across by being very sterotypical.
    It might be easier but its downright disrespectful - some of the young girls who do get pregnant young already have low enough self esteem as it is , they dont need someone like you looking down your nose at them

Also love the way that the single mother is the one drawing the flak. What about the feckless idiot men that won't support their kids.

And the equally dumb argument that the woman shouldn't trust "scumbags" in the first place: as if every single man from a working class background won't take responsiblity for their kids and every man from a middle class background will.

stovelid wrote: »
    I am being a bit harsh - sorry.

Fair play to you for your achievements under difficult circumstances. I just don't like when the merit of single parenting is reduced to social status or clothmg. Many people that don't have an education (or dress in a way that is the subject of societal scorn) are good parents despite the propaganda.

Agreed, just as being a teenager mother does not dictate a persons abilities and it is frustrating when they are all put into the "welfare fraud" box.

Ann Dunham was only 18 in 1961 she gave birth to the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Helgele

It's a common misconception that having kids early is good cos then you can relax in your 40s. Well, actually the "young mother" of the 20 year old ends up caring for the grandchildren and, if you're really unlucky, the grand-grand children as well...Care meaning babysitting plus financial support, so I don't understand when the enjoying ones life begins?

Decide yourself, who is younger: a 40 year old mother of a 5 year old child or a 40 year old granny with 3 grandchildren.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Helgele wrote: »
    It's a common misconception that having kids early is good cos then you can relax in your 40s. Well, actually the "young mother" of the 20 year old ends up caring for the grandchildren and, if you're really unlucky, the grand-grand children as well...Care meaning babysitting plus financial support, so I don't understand when the enjoying ones life begins?

Decide yourself, who is younger: a 40 year old mother of a 5 year old child or a 40 year old granny with 3 grandchildren.

Not everyone uses their parents for free childcare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

Im with you on this one OP.
    A wife should bare (bear) (beer) children at an age well suited to the more mature gentleman.
    Take a wife only in the later part of ones life, when one has traveled and seen the world. By then you should have a handsome estate in which the woman can raise your sons.
    I myself have planned to take on a few native women around the world and to promise them children - being a cad I shant deliver.
    Gin, rum, and exploitation for us OP
    Cider, yokes and pajamas for the type you refer to.

Advertisement