Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Haven't seen this posted yet - Strava Multiple Ride Mapper.

Didn't realise I've steered so clear of de nortside :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Mine are a bit more varied...

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/p-nutter/map_zpsaaeaa36d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Seeing your map got me thinking. First, little north side, second, little variability in the Wicklow/Dublin mountains. But, lots of the flat lands.

Anyone put up links of their favorite rides through the flats/rolling west of the city. Say, 100-130km loops from Dublin. Over October/November I'll be doing some flatter riding and would like to capitalize on what the locals think is best.

This is my map of Dublin/Wicklow area: https://twitter.com/i/#!/ryan_sherlock/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FHjc4rYoe

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Seeing your map got me thinking. First, little north side, second, little variability in the Wicklow/Dublin mountains. But, lots of the flat lands.

That's all I could fit in last weekend :pac:.
    Anyone put up links of their favorite rides through the flats/rolling west of the city. Say, 100-130km loops from Dublin. Over October/November I'll be doing some flatter riding and would like to capitalize on what the locals think is best.

This is my map of Dublin/Wicklow area: https://twitter.com/i/#!/ryan_sherlock/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FHjc4rYoe

This would be a fairly typical flat/rolly spin we'd do this time of year. lots of nice routes heading out on the backroads from celbridge too, towards Donadea/Kilcock/Newtown/Edenderry. Not suitable for big groups, but fine for solo/small groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,525 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just wondering. Strava has done some updates to the site. I uploaded some rides yesterday and I can longer see where you can view your on laps on the page. In the past Strava did have a section on the ride page where you could look at the laps as per the Garmin (when I pressed the lap button etc rather than the Strava calculated segment).

Any any one else noticed this or was I just having one of those 'brain taking a wee rest' moments. Did a quick search on their forums but couldn't see anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Just wondering. Strava has done some updates to the site. I uploaded some rides yesterday and I can longer see where you can view your on laps on the page. In the past Strava did have a section on the ride page where you could look at the laps as per the Garmin (when I pressed the lap button etc rather than the Strava calculated segment).

Any any one else noticed this or was I just having one of those 'brain taking a wee rest' moments. Did a quick search on their forums but couldn't see anything

Is it not down beside the 'segments' tab?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,525 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ah, Yes you are right. I didn't have the GPS on so there weren't any segments, so no segments tab for the laps tab to be beside!

Knew I'd look stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

I'd imagine that like myself if you availed of the free codes that were doing the rounds then a lot of peoples premium memberships will be up soon, I'll probably go ahead and start paying for the service. This code gives $10 off the annual subscription which brings it down to $49 (€38 or about €3.20 a month).

10$ of annual subs code = JA2012

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Idunnowho

This site takes Strava data to a whole new stratosphere... Charts, spreadsheets, filtering etc...

http://veloviewer.com

(Apologies if this has been posted already)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lads rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask here.

Thinking of upgrading to Strava Premium. Is it worth it? How does it help you train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

godtabh wrote: »
    Lads rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask here.

Thinking of upgrading to Strava Premium. Is it worth it? How does it help you train?

IMO no it's not worth it. had it for free trial for 3 months, nothing really useful just some gadgety type readings. Nice to have but wouldn't pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I got a corrupt file error while trying to upload a ride from yesterday. After a bit of faffing about using an xml editor to locate the problem, it turns out that if you manually upload the file from your unit to ridewithgps.com, the developers have an auto-fix built into the site, so all you have to do is upload it and then export it back to your computer and add the exported file manually to strava. If it doesn't work as an exported tcx try to export it again as a gpx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Joined myself during the week, the only thing it's done so far is depress me and make me realise how far behind most people I am :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Does anyone know whether Strava are responsive to people flagging rides.

On one of the routes that I plan to use for very short intervals, someone has marked a climb as hazardous.
    The 'climb' in question is a very very short section of steep road (about 0.5km). While the road is narrow, it is not in my opinion hazardous. I have driven and cycled it. It is not a very busy road by any stretch of the imagination.

I have sent a message to Strava asking them to 'deflag' it as hazardous so to speak.

Has anyone asked Strava to 'deflag' something in the past . . . and if so did you get a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

You could create a new segment and mark it private?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

ROK ON wrote: »
    Has anyone asked Strava to 'deflag' something in the past . . . and if so did you get a response?

Have tried (the much-discussed Knockmaroon Road), and heard nothing, and seen no action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

... or digitalepo.com :eek:

Heard about this on another cycling forum and said I'd give it a go. It requires a bit of fiddling around with TCX files and the use of other websites to extract these from Strava. But does it work?

Eh, no.

The file it produced would not load into Strava. I did eventually get it to work, but only after editing out the bugs in the xml file. :confused:

'Suppose it could be good if you wanted to appear faster play a trick on someone. I deleted the ride afterwards, but somebody out there would have received an email from Strava saying their KOM was beaten - only to find no evidence of this when they went to check to see who it was. Sorry !

Anyway, I only did it once. I'm not hooked on the stuff or anything, never again.

Although it was a bit of a laugh ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

route66 wrote: »
    ... or digitalepo.com :eek:

Heard about this on another cycling forum and said I'd give it a go. It requires a bit of fiddling around with TCX files the the use of other websites to extract these from Strava. But does it work?

Eh, no.

The file it produced would not load into Strava. I did eventually get it to work, but only after editing out the bugs in the xml file. :confused:

'Suppose it could be good if you wanted to appear faster play a trick on someone. I deleted the ride afterwards, but somebody out there would have received an email from Strava saying their KOM was beaten - only to find no evidence of this when they went to check to see who it was. Sorry !

Anyway, I only did it once. I'm not hooked on the stuff or anything, never again.

Although it was a bit of a laugh ;)

You've been tainted now - every time you get a KoM or improve your time on a segment there will be knowing nods and hushed whispers of, "you know he used to 'you-know'.......":D

xml editors: when EPO is too expensive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the festive 500, does that start on US time or local time anyone know, I'm fairly sure the last challenge went on US time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I think the rules stated that it starts local time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anyone using Strava on an iPhone 3G? Hasn't worked too well for me so far (I cycled across the waters of Dublin Bay to get to Howth).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Anyone using Strava on an iPhone 3G? Hasn't worked too well for me so far (I cycled across the waters of Dublin Bay to get to Howth).

Well done! what tyres did you use to prevent sinking and how's the ferry traffic these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Well done! what tyres did you use to prevent sinking and how's the ferry traffic these days?

Jesus tyres

buddy-christ.jpg

Jawgap wrote: »
    Jesus tyres

buddy-christ.jpg

Jesus tires

jesus-sleeping-resting.jpg

Not recently, but I did see an update available over the past week. Might just need to install that.

ror_74 wrote: »
    Not recently, but I did see an update available over the past week. Might just need to install that.

Thanks, I had to reset my iphone a few weeks ago and lost all the apps. Can't download the new Strava to pre iOS 4.3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

ror_74 wrote: »
    xml editors: when EPO is too expensive :)

Or, you would rather not wake up dead in the middle of the night cos your heart couldn't pump the sludge that is your blood through your veins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Thanks, I had to reset my iphone a few weeks ago and lost all the apps. Can't download the new Strava to pre iOS 4.3.

Then upgrade to the new iOS?

• Advertisement

Might need a newer IOS. If you can get an app version to work on your current IOS, heres a workaround for 'GPS Drift':
    Double tap the home button. This will bring up a grey bar along the bottom of the screen showing all apps that are currently running. Hold your finger on one of the app icons until they start to wobble! When they start wobbling they'll have a red circle in corner. Tap the red circle on all of them to shut them down properly.
    Then go into settings and turn on airplane mode. When you've done that go to settings, general, reset and choose reset network settings (you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords!)
    Once your phone has reset go to settings, location services, turn it off then on again.
    Then go settings, location services, system service, set time off! This should correct the issue

Or just get a garmin.

Advertisement