Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Or, you would rather not wake up dead in the middle of the night cos your heart couldn't pump the sludge that is your blood through your veins!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Or, you would rather not wake up dead in the middle of the night cos your heart couldn't pump the sludge that is your blood through your veins!

Jeez, didn't know the digital stuff gets into the veins :eek:

Anyone know how to get rid of it? Maybe if I delete the cache on my local drive followed by a low level erase of unused space?

In fact, oh no! - isn't this all in the cloud these days so I'll probably have to delete all the clouds just to be sure? :confused:

But have my digital arteries already been damaged? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hi Guys,

Can you make your activity on Strava visible to your friends (followers), but private to the rest of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

New Strava challenge. Ordering my Garmin today, hope delivery is quick :)
    "Strava Cycling Base Mile Blast"
    "To kick off the New Year with some serious sweat, we're challenging you to ride as many miles as you can during the month of January.

There are milestone badges to be earned starting at 200 mi and going all the way up to 1,000 mi"

http://app.strava.com/challenges/cycling-base-mile-blast-2013

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Signed up for it there. Should motivate me to lose the Christmas fat :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Seweryn wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Can you make your activity on Strava visible to your friends (followers), but private to the rest of the world?

Yes, change your profile so that you have to approve follower requests, then only the people you approve can see your activities.

colm_gti wrote: »
    Yes, change your profile so that you have to approve follower requests, then only the people you approve can see your activities.
    Thanks Colm. What if I already have a follower and all my rides are marked as private (can he see my activity)? All I am after is that nobody can see my rides except people I approve.
    Sorry, I am completely new into this stuff.

Thanks Colm. What if I already have a follower and all my rides are marked as private (can he see my activity)? All I am after is that nobody can see my rides except people I approve.
    Sorry, I am completely new into this stuff.

If you approve a follower he can see all your activities, unless you make each one private, in which case he won't be able to see the private ones

If you approve a follower he can see all your activities, unless you make each one private, in which case he won't be able to see the private ones
    I think I finally found that option - it is called "Enhanced Privacy Mode". Then I am going to unprivate my rides and see it works ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think I finally found that option - it is called "Enhanced Privacy Mode". Then I am going to unprivate my rides and see it works ;).

It works mostly as Colm says but if you are on the leaderboard for a segment (even way down the bottom) people will be able to click on your segment record and from there see the whole ride that you made that day.

To see what I mean take a popular segment, like this, and click on the riders till you find one who has request to follow, then click on the date beside his name, from that you'll be able to see his/her spin that day.

Probably not a dealbreaker but not quite as tight maybe as you think?

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    It works mostly as Colm says but if you are on the leaderboard for a segment (even way down the bottom) people will be able to click on your segment record and from there see the whole ride that you made that day.

To see what I mean take a popular segment, like this, and click on the riders till you find one who has request to follow, then click on the date beside his name, from that you'll be able to see his/her spin that day.

Probably not a dealbreaker but not quite as tight maybe as you think?
    Thank you. That is not great, I just wanted to avoid it. Is there any other way to make all your rides private (including rides through segments) to people you don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thank you. That is not great, I just wanted to avoid it. Is there any other way to make all your rides private (including rides through segments) to people you don't know?

I'm not sure if there is, and TBH having it that way would kind of defeat the purpose of being on Strava in the first place, the general idea of the site is that it's (semi) competitive an that relies on at least your segment times being visible.

nilhg wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there is, and TBH having it that way would kind of defeat the purpose of being on Strava in the first place, the general idea of the site is that it's (semi) competitive an that relies on at least your segment times being visible.
    Thank you.

I agree with you there. However, showing to the general world my every day commuting trips, place I live, etc. is not the best idea, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

There is a privacy feature where it hides details of your ride within a 200m radius of your starting point, maybe that is a help! You cannot compete in segments that fall within that radius though.

Thank you.

I agree with you there. However, showing to the general world my every day commuting trips, place I live, etc. is not the best idea, IMO.

Don't put your commutes on strava then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Make your commutes private? Or use the privacy circles for your home and work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Thank you.

You can set up a black out zone around your house and office. I think that the thief using strava to case out your house will be beaten to it by those casing the commuter routes in person.

Don't put your commutes on strava then?
    Yeah... But I rarely do any other rides apart from commuting ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Eh, press the big START and STOP button when you are not near your house. Have you a pot of gold at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Idleater wrote: »
    I think that the thief using strava to case out your house will be beaten to it by those casing the commuter routes in person.

Indeed, why bother using Strava when you can just knock on the front door to see if anyone is in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Yeah... But I rarely do any other rides apart from commuting ;).

Again though the question been why use strava if you don't want anyone to see your rides? I thought about it from a thieves perspective but I don't have all the details on my bikes with pictures for them to see, I just have the brand name and as others have said it's the people who see you on the bike you have to worry more about then the strava thieves (if anyone). If you have full details on your bikes maybe it might be a good idea to remove this information if your concerned?

Is the privacy function on Garmin Connect any better? In the settings section you can set it so either 1) Only me, 2) My connections or 3) everybody. Maybe this would suit your needs.

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Have you a pot of gold at home?
    No, nothing made of gold, but I have four chairs to sit in :).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think it's time Strava did something about the number of junk segments being created. Local moderators or super-users might be the answer.

For example, I was just looking at my rides for the weekend there. On Saturday I did a spin that only involved two climbs of any note, the Embankment and Poulaphouca. Yet Strava listed 31 different segments. 31!

We're getting to the stage where people are creating segments on every every stretch of road in the country.

I don't have a problem with people wanting to time their commute or whatever interval they're doing, but for god's sake, make it a private segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

There are 10 Segments on my epic 14k commute. Most of them are through busy roads and junctions, are entirely flat and shorter that 1k.

I refuse to compete :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The only KOM I ever had was for a section of the Howth road that has a minus 2% gradient :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

On the proliferation of segments, it maybe worth Strava setting up a few ground rules:

A limit on public segments on any one stretch of road,
    No segments whatsoever in city/town centre.
    There are segments on the quays and canals in Dublin that go thru lights for example.

Now it maybe easy to suggest turning off segments, but as Vlad points out sometimes there are simply so many of them that it's a pita.

IIRC I think I saw someone I follow reported doing some beta testing for them. I will contact him to ask for some contact details - maybe worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

ROK ON wrote: »
    There are segments on the quays and canals in Dublin that go thru lights for example.

I don't see the harm. You're not under an obligation to hammer on through red lights just because you happen to be on a strava segment.
    I had to go around 3 times to get a green light on one recently. :)

ROK ON wrote: »

Try them a few times and if you can't get the KOM report them as dangerous :P

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think it's time Strava did something about the number of junk segments being created. Local moderators or super-users might be the answer.
    I don't think they would allow any "moderator" rights to third parties, as it leaves them potentially exposed to claims if anything goes wrong

In effect the users are in complete control of creation of segments. Currently Strava automatically remove all reported segments and can argue they have acted based on the report. Anyone given any editorial control could be considered an agent and anything they may bless (or not act on) could cause problems, particularly as Strava needs to consider the potential impact of every legal system in the World. The current system probably gives them maximum protection and I can't see them allowing anyone other than employees to be seen as agents of the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Beasty wrote: »
    I don't think they would allow any "moderator" rights to third parties, as it leaves them potentially exposed to claims if anything goes wrong

In effect the users are in complete control of creation of segments. Currently Strava automatically remove all reported segments and can argue they have acted based on the report. Anyone given any editorial control could be considered an agent and anything they may bless (or not act on) could cause problems, particularly as Strava needs to consider the potential impact of every legal system in the World. The current system probably gives them maximum protection and I can't see them allowing anyone other than employees to be seen as agents of the company.

But users are already in complete control of segment creation. And they have the ability to flag dangerous segments. So Strava has already passed a lot of responsibility to the average user. They could easily point to the fact that a segment wasn't flagged next time there is some ridiculous lawsuit against them as a means of vindication. Sure, if the community didn't see it as dangerous, why are we at fault?

Simply empowering a few users, and let's be clear, when we say a few you are talking a LOT to cover all of the area Strava covers, (good luck to anyone trying to sue thousands of people across multiple countries and legal jurisdictions) is not going to change the current level of responsibility leveraged at the community, it will just speed up the cleaning-up process because there is no need to flag/report and wait for Strava to check it out.

Fearing some legal backlash is just paranoid nonsense.

Just to reinforce my point, by your analysis would Strava not already have opened themselves up to such recourse with the following:

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21503557-helping-strava-users-stay-safe-segment-flagging-dangerous-segments-revisited

To me, adding power users would not create any more problems than the above. The way I see it, they are already encouraging this "agency" that you described by setting forth guidelines on segment creation, having subscribers in place to make sure this is being enforced is not a big deal.

Advertisement