Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Fearing some legal backlash is just paranoid nonsense.

Just to reinforce my point, by your analysis would Strava not already have opened themselves up to such recourse with the following:

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21503557-helping-strava-users-stay-safe-segment-flagging-dangerous-segments-revisited

That statement from strava was in relation to this:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/family-sues-strava-over-descending-death_224889

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That does not seem to be an formal statement by Strava, just a discussion amongst its members. Whether that in any way "opens up" Strava to anything is debateable

Strava changed their terms of use after the reports of that claim came out to try and limit any potential for future claims. It does not make sense for them to increase their exposure in any way by being seen to "endorse" any segments created by its members

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Do many people here actively seek out segments to try and gain KOM/QOM on?

I just use it to log miles / upload rides and then if I happen to have ridden any segments it's nice to see how I compare but I don't think I would go look for a segment and try and set a time - maybe I just aren't competitive enough :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Favour needed - does anyone have the Fit File repair tool? http://fitfilerepairtool.info/

If so, would you be willing to try and fix a file for me - I use a Mac and the tool only works on a PC with Windows. I've tried Strava support and they couldn't do anything, found this through google this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

I just use it to log miles / upload rides and then if I happen to have ridden any segments it's nice to see how I compare but I don't think I would go look for a segment and try and set a time - maybe I just aren't competitive enough :confused:

There are definitely people out there for whom segment KOMing is a major passtime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Plastik wrote: »
    There are definitely people out there for whom segment KOMing is a major passtime.

You don't say :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    I don't think they would allow any "moderator" rights to third parties, as it leaves them potentially exposed to claims if anything goes wrong

You're a "third party moderator" of boards.ie, and you regularly promote competitive Strava-ing.

By your own argument you're leaving boards.ie "potentially exposed to claims if anything goes wrong".

How's the ice feel? Thin? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »
    You're a "third party moderator" of boards.ie, and you regularly promote competitive Strava-ing.

By your own argument you're leaving boards.ie "potentially exposed to claims if anything goes wrong".

How's the ice feel? Thin? :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

you regularly promote competitive Strava-ing.
    Do I?

And even if I did, I post in bold when acting as moderator;)

Beasty wrote: »
    And even if I did, I post in bold when acting as moderator;)

Damn, my argument is eviscerated by your irritatingly consistent use of bold text. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Damn, my argument is eviscerated by your irritatingly consistent use of bold text. :pac:

"It's OK judge, I was using bold text at the time."

PUH-LEASE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Favour needed - does anyone have the Fit File repair tool? http://fitfilerepairtool.info/

If so, would you be willing to try and fix a file for me - I use a Mac and the tool only works on a PC with Windows. I've tried Strava support and they couldn't do anything, found this through google this morning.

Don't have this - looks like you need to license it.

I don't know what you are looking to do, but there are some Strava fix tools available here: http://raceshape.com/ ... and they're free. I've used snap (link) to fix a strava ride where the GPS data took me off road. The fixed data then matched segments previously ignored.

Digital EPO is also available and is handy if you want to cheat :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You see plenty of it, the one KOM I was really competitive about was taken by someone who only ever seems to ride segments. Suspiciously so.

KOMs should be just that. KOMs for some light-to-light dash behind a bus on a flat stretch of road or in a car because you decided to drive to work today and figured you'd use your Strava iPhone app are just completely pointless, and as Vlad says, clog up your ride with useless information.

route66 wrote: »

That is simply fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

You can upload the file to ridewithgps.com, any errors ( genuine ones, that is ) are fixed during the upload. Then export it back out again.

ror_74 wrote: »
    You can upload the file to ridewithgps.com, any errors ( genuine ones, that is ) are fixed during the upload. Then export it back out again.

Ok, I can see the route on ridewithgps, so the file is not completely screwed.

But - I can only export to .tcx, which is not being recognised by Garmin Connect or Strava.

Ok, I can see the route on ridewithgps, so the file is not completely screwed.

But - I can only export to .tcx, which is not being recognised by Garmin Connect or Strava.

Export as Tcx then use this online tool to do the convert

http://pwx.raytracer.dk/

I use it to convert run files from my timex watch to strava format.

EDIT: Apoliges that's pcx to tcx. Strava should read tcx?

route66 wrote: »
    Don't have this - looks like you need to license it.

I don't know what you are looking to do, but there are some Strava fix tools available here: http://raceshape.com/ ... and they're free. I've used snap (link) to fix a strava ride where the GPS data took me off road. The fixed data then matched segments previously ignored.

I'm trying to fix a file that got corrupted during the upload (dodgy USB connection I think). I'd bin it, but it's 400kb, so must have something in there.

The file is not being recognised by Garmin Connect, or Strava, but per the above post, the route is now visible on ridewithgps. RWG only allows you to export as .tcx and .gps (doesn't give the option to export as .fit), and uploading to Strava still draws a blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I'm trying to fix a file that got corrupted during the upload (dodgy USB connection I think). I'd bin it, but it's 400kb, so must have something in there.

The file is not being recognised by Garmin Connect, or Strava, but per the above post, the route is now visible on ridewithgps. RWG only allows you to export as .tcx and .gps (doesn't give the option to export as .fit), and uploading to Strava still draws a blank.

Try this online tool (here) should convert to any format you need.

Thanks all, tried GPSies, the Danish site, and the juicer to no avail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Try bikeroutetoaster, you can export as a gpx from there.

Edit: As in upload the fixed tcx file from RWG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Unless you get someone to manually edit the code of the gpx I doubt it'll upload to strava. Although it is odd it uploaded fine to rwg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not me but someone I follow, 41 segments through the flat centre of Dublin and back!!
    it is a bit out of hand...
    http://app.strava.com/activities/36788913

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have been under the impression that Strava records turbo distance, as long you have a cadence/speed sensor on the bike so that one can measure virtual distance & speed whilst on the turbo.

Anyhow, I did a turbo session recently. After it my weekly average distance increased but my ytd distance in Strava did not increase.

Is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Anyone using Strava on an iPhone 3G? Hasn't worked too well for me so far (I cycled across the waters of Dublin Bay to get to Howth).

I started using Strava recently with an iPhone 3Gs with iOS6 installed. I have had no problems at all.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have been under the impression that Strava records turbo distance, as long you have a cadence/speed sensor on the bike so that one can measure virtual distance & speed whilst on the turbo.

Anyhow, I did a turbo session recently. After it my weekly average distance increased but my ytd distance in Strava did not increase.

Is this normal?

Go into 'Edit' the ride and it will probably have "stationary trainer" ticked. Untick it and it will add in to your annual km's.

I don't understand why it deems turbo km's as less relevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Go into 'Edit' the ride and it will probably have "stationary trainer" ticked. Untick it and it will add in to your annual km's.

I don't understand why it deems turbo km's as less relevant?

Strava has an built in wimp list!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

You know what I think Strava needs? Not just who's done a particular hill the fastest, but who's done it the most times. Makes long-term efforts a bit more fun IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It must be windy out. I just got 2 Strava "Uh oh!" emails. One was for a segment I didn't know I had KOM on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I know this has been posted before, but here it is again for anyone who missed it.
    http://veloviewer.com
    http://veloviewer.com/blog/about/

Statistic heaven!

Advertisement