Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

This post has been deleted.

Yes, that perception is really annoying. Since I joined SW I've actually been eating a really solid, balanced diet. Much of it is food I've always eaten anyway, just tweeked (ie using frylight instead of olive oil), but fresh fruit and veg was always a big part of my diet and continues to be on SW.

I'm probably one of these people who has all the knowledge but self sabotages out of boredom/mindless eating etc. I think its the knowledge that someones going to weigh me in once a week that keeps me on track more than anything.

My day to day diet was always pretty good, but I was a little too fond of treating myself of saying yes to a take away because everyone else was having one, or drinking wine at home with my OH for no particular reason. I'm now focused more on myself and my own objectives as the reality is I'm happier when I'm slimmer. Yes, I have the odd HiFi bar (they satisfy the occasional chocolate craving) but I certainly don't survive on cereal bars and muller light.

From what I've seen, SW is going to be very sustainable for me :) I've done well so far, but probably my weightless will slow the closer I get to my target. This is where I've always come unstuck previously, because as soon as I stopped seeing major results, the sacrifices I was making (shakes, WW, you name it) didnt seem worth it anymore and I'd just give up. I don't feel like SW is much of a sacrifice (other than wine, I do miss wine) so I think my long term chances are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I really fell off the wagon on Thursday and spent the weekend not giving a feck...

I was hungover yesterday so I had a McDonald's and then went to Tesco and bought myself a whole chocolate cake :o hahaha!
    Luckily a friend came over so I couldn't eat it all to myself, but I probably would have done if they weren't there.

I'm not normally like that, I just haven't been hungover in a while.

Back on it today anyway!

My favourite breakfast is eggs scrambled with ham, spinach and red peppers so I'm having that to kick off a good day.
    We're going out for lunch at work so I'm saving both my HEX's for that - I fancy a salad after all my bad eating so at least it won't be a chore to order one!

It's my birthday weekend so I've eaten everything around me...probably won't stop until after pancakes tomorrow! Already up on weigh in this morning, oops! Oh well, it's only once a year! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I really fell off the wagon on Thursday and spent the weekend not giving a feck...

I was hungover yesterday so I had a McDonald's and then went to Tesco and bought myself a whole chocolate cake :o hahaha!
    Luckily a friend came over so I couldn't eat it all to myself, but I probably would have done if they weren't there.

I'm not normally like that, I just haven't been hungover in a while.

Back on it today anyway!

My favourite breakfast is eggs scrambled with ham, spinach and red peppers so I'm having that to kick off a good day.
    We're going out for lunch at work so I'm saving both my HEX's for that - I fancy a salad after all my bad eating so at least it won't be a chore to order one!
    It's my birthday weekend so I've eaten everything around me...probably won't stop until after pancakes tomorrow! Already up on weigh in this morning, oops! Oh well, it's only once a year! :P

Ah sure look, these things happen, all you can do it get back on plan straight away and draw a line under it.

I'm off for a weekend away with himself this weekend coming and we're going somewhere known for its food a drink (of the rich, indulgent variety :))

You've still got to live!

By the way, I'm planning on making myself pancakes by blitzing Banana/Egg and serving with some choc shot - actually looking forward to it!

Ah sure look, these things happen, all you can do it get back on plan straight away and draw a line under it.

I'm off for a weekend away with himself this weekend coming and we're going somewhere known for its food a drink (of the rich, indulgent variety :))

By the way, I'm planning on making myself pancakes by blitzing Banana/Egg and serving with some choc shot - actually looking forward to it!
    Pancakes are my literal favourite food so I've already tried a few SW friendly recipes for them...the slimming eats blog has loads of great recipes for them, it'll be hard deciding which ones to make!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I'm thinking about doing SP for a few days. Wouldn't be able to commit to 7 days just yet. If anyone has done this can they advise rightly or wrongly on this please!
    Breakfast 40g porridge (HXB) and fruit
    Lunch 2 slices wholemeal bread (HXB), ham with no fat and 30g of cheddar cheese (HEA) and soup made with no syns or potatoes and all speed vegetables
    Dinner steak with no fat, mushrooms and onions fryer in fry light and butternut squash roasted with spices

Breakfast scrambled eggs, rashers with no fat, fryed mushrooms and tomatoes and two slices of wholemeal brown bread as my (HXB)

Lunch same as above

Dinner shepards pie made with less than 5%fat, topped with turnip and broccoli on the side

All opinions are welcome please

I make these pancakes all the time, regardless of diet - they're so nice!
    I put half the banana sliced in the pan and fry gently first so it gets caramelised on the bottom. Then mash the other half into the eggs with loads of mixed spice.
    I can only imagine how indulgent they would feel with Choc Shot...must get some for myself tomorrow :)

Speaking of Choc Shot, has anyone seen the Spiced Orange flavour anywhere? I see UK people on Instagram with it but have only seen the plain choc or coconut here.

BetsyEllen wrote: »

By the way, I'm planning on making myself pancakes by blitzing Banana/Egg and serving with some choc shot - actually looking forward to it![/QUOTE]

I make these pancakes all the time, regardless of diet - they're so nice!
    I put half the banana sliced in the pan and fry gently first so it gets caramelised on the bottom. Then mash the other half into the eggs with loads of mixed spice.
    I can only imagine how indulgent they would feel with Choc Shot...must get some for myself tomorrow :)

Speaking of Choc Shot, has anyone seen the Spiced Orange flavour anywhere? I see UK people on Instagram with it but have only seen the plain choc or coconut here.
    Seen it in Holland and Barrett :)

I tried making banana pancakes and they were a disaster, way too mushy and couldn't flip them at all. Dunno what I did wrong!

Seen it in Holland and Barrett :)

I tried making banana pancakes and they were a disaster, way too mushy and couldn't flip them at all. Dunno what I did wrong!

Ah great! It must be a new flavour for them as they didn't have it before.

Girls I just checked on their website and it's buy one get one half price :)

By the way, I don't flip my pancakes. I treat them like an omelette - I make them in quite a small pan, they're thick - fry on one side and then pop under the grill to do the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Just wondering if SW is available on medical card in Ireland? I know the U.K. Have a prescription service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Just wondering if SW is available on medical card in Ireland? I know the U.K. Have a prescription service!

No, there is no referral scheme in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

A mashed banana is 5 syns

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Wellyd wrote: »
    A mashed banana is 5 syns

I thought bananas were free.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I thought bananas were free.

Unfortunately not when mashed, puréed or blended. Something to do with changing the sugar structure when blended

Unfortunately not when mashed, puréed or blended. Something to do with changing the sugar structure when blended

But don't they get mashed anyway when you eat them :confused:

But don't they get mashed anyway when you eat them :confused:

Yes they do but it's breaking down the sugar when you blitz them. Its looked on as the same as cooking fruit. It's honestly something I've never understood when it came to SW!

Yes they do but it's breaking down the sugar when you blitz them. Its looked on as the same as cooking fruit. It's honestly something I've never understood when it came to SW!

I don't get that at all. It makes no sense whether you mash a banana with a fork or your teeth. Puree or liquefied I get but mashed? Can't understand that at all.

I don't get that at all. It makes no sense whether you mash a banana with a fork or your teeth. Puree or liquefied I get but mashed? Can't understand that at all.

Sorry!! Look on it as a tweak for yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Definitely needs to be a lifestyle change for me. I'm far too fond of treating myself.

Today however, I realised I have been so good I have all my syns and my HEB left. Toast, flora, jam and two hifi bars. I'm in frigging heaven!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

From the SW site, its more about the effort involved and the 'filling factor'

"While fruit in its natural form is bulky, filling and often time-consuming to eat, in cooked, pureed, liquidised or smoothie form it makes it very easy to over-consume and is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra energy (calories) in a non-bulky and non-filling way, which doesn’t satisfy your appetite in the same way as eating fresh whole/sliced fruit. Consider eating an orange. Peeling, breaking up the segments and eating just one orange can be a lengthy process. Now think about the juice that orange would produce – it contains a similar number of calories, yet it’s gone in a gulp – in fact it takes 8 oranges to make a small glass of orange juice and it’s not filling in the slightest! It’s all about getting the most (optimum) satisfaction from your foods with Food Optimising. We count juiced, pureed and cooked fruit as Syns to protect your weight losses."

Andip wrote: »
    From the SW site, its more about the effort involved and the 'filling factor'

"While fruit in its natural form is bulky, filling and often time-consuming to eat, in cooked, pureed, liquidised or smoothie form it makes it very easy to over-consume and is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra energy (calories) in a non-bulky and non-filling way, which doesn’t satisfy your appetite in the same way as eating fresh whole/sliced fruit. Consider eating an orange. Peeling, breaking up the segments and eating just one orange can be a lengthy process. Now think about the juice that orange would produce – it contains a similar number of calories, yet it’s gone in a gulp – in fact it takes 8 oranges to make a small glass of orange juice and it’s not filling in the slightest! It’s all about getting the most (optimum) satisfaction from your foods with Food Optimising. We count juiced, pureed and cooked fruit as Syns to protect your weight losses."
    Yep, which is why a lot of people don't count syns in banana pancakes because if you're only using one banana then you're not overeating, whereas if you're mashing lots of bananas into smoothies or muffins you very easily could!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mystified17

Hey guys, I'm new to boards and just wanted some information on slimming world. I want to lose 4 stone and have made the decision to give it a go after losing 1.5 stone myself. Is slimming world as good as everyone says. ☺️

Hey guys, I'm new to boards and just wanted some information on slimming world. I want to lose 4 stone and have made the decision to give it a go after losing 1.5 stone myself. Is slimming world as good as everyone says. ☺️

I think when followed properly, it would be hard to fail.
    Anyone that says it doesn't work just clearly didn't follow the plan.

There's very little you can't eat, once you count your syns every day and make sure you're honest with yourself, you can't really go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lilythepinked

Absolutely love Slimming World.  After quitting smoking I didnt want to put on weight, well needed to lose a couple of stone anyway. love the recipes. fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

Got my stone last night.......feeling really good, I can feel a huge difference in how my clothes feel, my energy levels and I'm never hungry. I love SW!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahzxe

Hey guys,

I joined SW in Jan and so far lost over a stone, I've another stone to get down before reaching my target weight!

Problem is Im away this weekend in Edinburgh with friends and im terrified of putting weight back on. Ive haven't touched a drop of alcohol in 9 weeks now and will be drinking this weekend and eating out. :eek:

Any advice really appreciated! Even if I could just maintain this week id be delighted xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

sarahzxe wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I joined SW in Jan and so far lost over a stone, I've another stone to get down before reaching my target weight!

Problem is Im away this weekend in Edinburgh with friends and im terrified of putting weight back on. Ive haven't touched a drop of alcohol in 9 weeks now and will be drinking this weekend and eating out. :eek:

Any advice really appreciated! Even if I could just maintain this week id be delighted xx

I'm sure you'll be fine :) the beauty of slimming world is that you can enjoy days like that. You'll still be making better choices when you're eating and as for drinking, make sure that you still drink plenty of water. I tend to alternate during drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Does anyone know if there are any free membership vouchers floating around in any mags or papers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement