Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

dcfc91 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any free membership vouchers floating around in any mags or papers?

I don't think there are at the moment, I think the next promotion is possibly around Easter, I'll try and find out and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

I went to Slimming World for two weeks and managed to gain weight each week. It was very off putting but I've decided to try again.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I really tried my best, gave it my all and followed the instructions so it was disheartening to say the least :confused:

Really hoping I have more success this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

m'lady wrote: »
    I don't think there are at the moment, I think the next promotion is possibly around Easter, I'll try and find out and let you know.

Okay, thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I just rec'd my delivery of Choc Shots from Holland and Barrett.

All lovely but the Spiced Orange is really fabulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

sarahzxe wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I joined SW in Jan and so far lost over a stone, I've another stone to get down before reaching my target weight!

Problem is Im away this weekend in Edinburgh with friends and im terrified of putting weight back on. Ive haven't touched a drop of alcohol in 9 weeks now and will be drinking this weekend and eating out. :eek:

Any advice really appreciated! Even if I could just maintain this week id be delighted xx

I did similar to you. No booze for six weeks and eating on plan. Lost sixteen pounds. Then I had a weekend away. I made sure that I used very few sins the week leading up to the weekend. My leader said you can do that occasionally. I tried to keep some of my meals on plan while I was away so good breakfast and lunch then had whatever I wanted for dinner and drinks. I put two up but got straight back on plan and that was gone within three days.
    I ate a really big breakfast and lunch but the foods were on plan so when it came to the dinner I wasn't so starving that I was over eating the bad stuff. I also think the two pounds was more fluid and that's why it came off easy. Edinburgh is also a great city for walking so some body magic will also help and lots of dancing at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I briefly saw (was driving, which is why I couldn't give it my full attention!) a sign that looked like it was indicating a Slimming World meeting in the Commons Inn, on Commons Road in Cork - would anyone have any concrete info about that?

I went to Slimming World for two weeks and managed to gain weight each week. It was very off putting but I've decided to try again.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I really tried my best, gave it my all and followed the instructions so it was disheartening to say the least :confused:

Really hoping I have more success this time.
    That can be so tough when you are trying hard. Have you kept a food plan? They really help. A woman in our group was the same. Eating loads of fruit and veg and she thought she was on plan. However she was eating loads of grapes which aren't a speed food. The following week she changed that and was down. So you could be doing something simple that's knocking you off. Also I honesty found that if I didn't use all my sins I lost more. Give your food plan to your group leader and you never know what they might spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I haven't been following SW properly since around Christmas time but have been following this thread - well done all and welcome new members, it's great to see the thread so active!
    I've been avoiding milk lately because I can't digest dairy properly anymore. When following SW I ate quite a lot of fat free Greek yogurt but it absolutely kills me now. I really miss it, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any dairy-free yogurt alternativey things that are free or low on syns? I tried Alpro ones years ago and thought they were disgusting, really odd texture and sugary taste etc but maybe things have improved? I favour unflavoured natural yogurt which I guess would be hard to replicate but I'd consider anything low syn.
    I really want to get back on track but I'd find it much easier if I had something like that to have as a snack or to fill up at work when I don't have time for lunch for an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

dee_mc wrote: »
    I haven't been following SW properly since around Christmas time but have been following this thread - well done all and welcome new members, it's great to see the thread so active!
    I've been avoiding milk lately because I can't digest dairy properly anymore. When following SW I ate quite a lot of fat free Greek yogurt but it absolutely kills me now. I really miss it, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any dairy-free yogurt alternativey things that are free or low on syns? I tried Alpro ones years ago and thought they were disgusting, really odd texture and sugary taste etc but maybe things have improved? I favour unflavoured natural yogurt which I guess would be hard to replicate but I'd consider anything low syn.
    I really want to get back on track but I'd find it much easier if I had something like that to have as a snack or to fill up at work when I don't have time for lunch for an hour or two.

Unfortunately as far as I know there's no free or hex A dairy free yoghurt options. The Alpro 500g pots are 2 syns for the full tub. I use the vanilla for overnight oats and its nice. Doesn't quite have that greek yoghurt taste though. I actually only started eating dairy again (off it nearly 5 years) when I started SW. I compiled a list of all the dairy free milks and cheeses and their syn hexA values which I can PM you later this week if you're interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

AWOL
    Starting again, on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Scraggs wrote: »
    Unfortunately as far as I know there's no free or hex A dairy free yoghurt options. The Alpro 500g pots are 2 syns for the full tub. I use the vanilla for overnight oats and its nice. Doesn't quite have that greek yoghurt taste though. I actually only started eating dairy again (off it nearly 5 years) when I started SW. I compiled a list of all the dairy free milks and cheeses and their syn hexA values which I can PM you later this week if you're interested?

That'd be great thanks Scraggs! I'm using hazelnut milk at the moment which I imagine must be disastrously high in syns because it's so rich and delicious :D

Omg just had the salted caramel fibre one heated up 30s in the microwave with a bit of whipped cream, heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

fall wrote: »
    That can be so tough when you are trying hard. Have you kept a food plan? They really help. A woman in our group was the same. Eating loads of fruit and veg and she thought she was on plan. However she was eating loads of grapes which aren't a speed food. The following week she changed that and was down. So you could be doing something simple that's knocking you off. Also I honesty found that if I didn't use all my sins I lost more. Give your food plan to your group leader and you never know what they might spot.

Just to give the other side of it, I actually lose less if I don't eat at least 10 syns a day

It definitely seems to be that you have to play around with it. Someone told me recently that they get more sins because they have so much weight to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I bought the Weight Watchers weighing scales and they seem quite accurate. I'm down 4 pounds compared to before Christmas, knew I felt a bit lighter. I'm back out walking everyday too and I'm going to hire a personal trainer this month to tone up before my wedding.

I'm going to follow the principals of SW again but I'm not going to go to the classes, I'd rather spend the money on the PT. I do think it's an excellent plan of eating though.

I'm doing absolutely no treats-crisps, chocolate, alcohol, biscuits before the wedding. I'm cutting down on tea and coffee too. Need to bust these bingo wings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

fall wrote: »

It was very tough! Are the speed foods really essential to the process?

Yes, they're what will make you lose weight. I usually ate a lot of blueberries, avocados and sweet potatoes but they're not speed food so changed to apples, raspberries and satsumas for snacks. No juices either, they're lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I know this comes across as me being a smart arse and I don't want it to but if they weren't essential then there wouldn't be such an emphasis on eating them at each meal.
    A third of your plate to be specific. It's one of the core parts of the SW plan.

I have a separate Instagram account just for SW and follow a lot of people who post their meals for inspiration.
    The amount of them that are eating on plan but NO SPEED at all and then wondering why they're not losing a lot of weight is mind boggling.
    You can't follow a plan half heartedly and then wonder why you're not seeing the promised results!

Maybe try for the next fortnight to really pack loads of speed into every meal and see how you feel - and again, sorry if I'm coming across as patronising or anything, it's really hard to word it without sounding that way :o

I definitely lose better and feel better when I make an effort to include my speed. I'm a vegetarian and I still find it hard! I think it would be easier if I wasn't also cooking for the OH who is really picky about vegetables :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

+1 on the speed... the amount of people who say eg I had spag bol I made myself with lots of veg in it for speed and had an apple afterwards - that's great but it's not 100% on plan. One third of the plate should be speed which automatically means only 2/3 can be the higher calorie pasta/mince free foods etc. If you still eat a full plate of dinner then the speed after you're just eating the speed for the sake of it really

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jewels0606

where can I get quark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm trying for weeks and can't find it anywhere?????
    I love cheese and cream etc but tried cottage cheese ugh!!! so is this hunt for quark worth the effort?

jewels0606 wrote: »
    where can I get quark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm trying for weeks and can't find it anywhere?????
    I love cheese and cream etc but tried cottage cheese ugh!!! so is this hunt for quark worth the effort?

I've definitely seen it in SuperValu, haven't tried it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Keithmc40

You can get quark in Dunnes. I'm new to this thread, joined slimming world on New Year's Eve and have lost 2st 13lb so far, I pack my lunch and dinner with speed food and for breakfast midweek I have porridge with apple & strawberry and at the weekend I have a slimming world fry with mallows sausages, turkey rashers, eggs and onions, mushrooms & tomato for speed. I really believe you have to get as much speed in as possible to see the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tesco sell their own brand of quark too - the tub is purple!

Thanks everyone
    only joined up this week but had been trying it at home for the last couple of weeks

Aldi also sell quark. It's good for adding to things like curry to make them creamy

Aldi also sell quark. It's good for adding to things like curry to make them creamy

none in aldi last night anyhow!

jewels0606 wrote: »
    none in aldi last night anyhow!

That's a pain... it's usually beside the mascarpone and ricotta in a green and white tub

• Advertisement

I definitely think the speed issue is why it works for some and not others. It can't be that the salad or veg is on the side and the actual dinner plate is all spaghetti Bolognese. My friend was doing that. Kept saying she was eating lots of speed but her dinner portion was still massive. It was only when she changed that that she started to make progress.
    Think speed foods are denser and actually give you that full feeling. This is so important for me as I am bottomless when it comes to eating carbs. I got quark in Dunnes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement