Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm really struggling to balance since I hit target, my weight has been see sawing !. I went 2lbs below so tried to add some extra syns in and found myself 4 1/12lbs up, so cut back to my original plan and lost 6 1/2lbs the following week. tweaked again and up 3lbs and this week I'm the lowest I've ever been, I'd say another 6lbs on the cards.

This is harder than losing the weight :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Weigh in day today! Still make me nervous even though surely I must get used to it at some point!

I've been well on track since Monday after a slightly wobbly weekend (not out of control, disastrous, but not great).

I brought breakfast (overnight oats w/raspberries - syn free) and lunch (happy pear red lental dahl - syn free and packed with speed!) to work with me so feeling in control :)

I also brought 2 Nespresso Capsules so I can make my own coffee and therefore control the milk.

Slightly worried about whats going to show on the scales given that my workouts with my trainer have drifted towards lifting weights (squatting with a bar, and deadlifts) which she swears is the best way to burn through fat, but obviously I know I'm putting on muscle at the same time. I feel like I still have enough fat to shift that I should be able to still show a deficit so here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Andip wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to balance since I hit target, my weight has been see sawing !. I went 2lbs below so tried to add some extra syns in and found myself 4 1/12lbs up, so cut back to my original plan and lost 6 1/2lbs the following week. tweaked again and up 3lbs and this week I'm the lowest I've ever been, I'd say another 6lbs on the cards.

This is harder than losing the weight :rolleyes:

I know how you feel, I'm losing and gaining the same 1lb for the last 6 months, and this week I gained 2lbs out of nowhere, I didn't really do anything different!

I'm now being extra strict, filling up with speed and cut out Coke Zero and trying to drink 2L of water plus limiting my syns to around 8 a day. I'm trying to get to the lower end of my target, it doesn't help that it's my birthday on Sunday and being brought out for it (weigh in is Monday!!).. I might encourage him to leave it until after weigh in!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Weighed in this morning before work and was up just 1/2lb.
    Really surprised as I've had a few bad days this week.
    Starting afresh today and don't want this weeks badness to carry over to next weeks weigh in.

Some ladies in class discussing how difficult it is to maintain. Leader gave them some 'sabotage' sheet? I couldn't really hear what they were saying.

Have a shop done and already know what I eating for the next 5 days.
    Rather than being bored by the organisation, I'm excited!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I've lunch out with work today.
    We've pre-ordered so I chose prawns with chilli and garlic to start and a red thai curry with rice for the main.

I had to chose really quickly and now I'm annoyed that I didn't go for the salmon with a side of veg, or a steak.

Ah well - when I get there I'm also going to request a bowl of veg to be served to me with the curry so I can fill up on broccoli and carrots and hopefully not eat all of the curry!
    It will be my only 'bad meal' this coming week so I have the next 6 days to make up for it.
    I'll have no other syns today.

On another note, we had a lady come into work this morning to give a talk on nutrition.
    She was saying how bad things like skimmed milk, fat free yoghurts etc are and would always tell people to buy full fat versions of all dairy products as it's in its natural state.
    Kind of conflicted now as I want to lose weight but I'm also concerned about eating healthily.
    I think I'll knock the Muller Lights on the head and start having a bit of full fat Greek yoghurt with fruit instead for my snacks.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I've lunch out with work today.
    We've pre-ordered so I chose prawns with chilli and garlic to start and a red thai curry with rice for the main.

I had to chose really quickly and now I'm annoyed that I didn't go for the salmon with a side of veg, or a steak.

Ah well - when I get there I'm also going to request a bowl of veg to be served to me with the curry so I can fill up on broccoli and carrots and hopefully not eat all of the curry!
    It will be my only 'bad meal' this coming week so I have the next 6 days to make up for it.
    I'll have no other syns today.

On another note, we had a lady come into work this morning to give a talk on nutrition.
    She was saying how bad things like skimmed milk, fat free yoghurts etc are and would always tell people to buy full fat versions of all dairy products as it's in its natural state.
    Kind of conflicted now as I want to lose weight but I'm also concerned about eating healthily.
    I think I'll knock the Muller Lights on the head and start having a bit of full fat Greek yoghurt with fruit instead for my snacks.
    I'm conflicted with the low-fat dairy stuff too. Think I've reasoned with myself that once I get to target I'll go back to full fat versions.

On this note, there is a lot of conflicting advice out there and its hard to know who to listen to. However, from taking on board as much information as I can, my opinion is that there are two different objectives here which often get confused, namely (1) weightloss and (2) nutrition. Ideally if we just followed the best nutritional advice we'd just all have healthy body weights but for some of us its not that simple.

I was listening to a dietician from UCD on the radio recently and he explained it like this. That yes, lots of people are saying today that not all calories are equal and while its certainly true that the calories from a mars bar and the calories from an avocado are not the same in terms of nutrition, but they are the same for weightless. He was quite clear that for weightloss you need a calorie deficit. He said it didnt matter if you were only eating the so called superfoods, if you were ingesting more calories than you were burning, then you wouldnt lose weight, or indeed could gain weight.

As for Full fat greek style yogurt, you're going to need to syn that (3 per 100ml according to the app). I happen to agree with you about ideally eating healthily and I don't really like the idea of whats in a Muller light, so for me I've been having 0% Greek youhurt which is strained, like Fage (Aldi also do a dupe) and just adding my own fruit. I also don't use artificial sweeteners, I just syn honey if I need to add it to cooking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

What's wrong with skimmed milk?? Some low fat products have higher sugar to compensate, but I've compared the sugar content of skimmed and full fat and the sugar is the same.

Full fat milk is hardly in its original state anyway, with all the pasturisation and stuff. You'd have to go to a farm and request raw milk if you really want it natural!

quickbeam wrote: »
    What's wrong with skimmed milk?? Some low fat products have higher sugar to compensate, but I've compared the sugar content of skimmed and full fat and the sugar is the same.

Full fat milk is hardly in its original state anyway, with all the pasturisation and stuff. You'd have to go to a farm and request raw milk if you really want it natural!

This is a good point too - things that are lower in fat because the fat has been strained from them are quite different to things where the fat has been replaced by sugar as a bulking/sweetening agent.

Also, you have have full fat milk on SW! I know its less, but you can still have it if you want for your HexA (175ml)

Personally I choose 2% milk as I think it still tastes grand, and 250ml is more than I need in a day.

• Advertisement

I prefer 2% milk (find full fat is too creamy!) but I've been using skim milk because I often split my HEA in half so I can have milk in the morning on cereal/porridge and a small amount of cheese at lunch or dinner.

I don't have any issues with artificial sweetners per se but don't have Muller lights often, prefer strained fat free yoghurt too.

So -2lbs last night which was quite a relief after my boldness at the weekend :)

Thats a total of 9.5lbs over 4 weigh-ins so I'm happy enough with that, because genuinely once I got my head around the plan its really been fairly plain sailing :) I genuinely feel like this is something I can keep up unlike some other diets I've tried in the past that have yielded great weightloss but were completely unrealistic. I'm mostly just eating normal food, with the odd tweek here and there and just avoiding things like having breakfast in the work canteen and taking a desert with my lunch, and thats it really!

Really focused now on getting that number up to one stone over the coming weeks, and then taking it half a stone at a time from there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Two very bad days here after -6.5lb loss so I'm annoyed with myself. Got bad news in the family, unexpected trip home and haven't been organised. Back on track this morning and made time for park run at 930 so hopefully won't have done too much damage. I'm not weighing in until Saturday next week so there's a bit of time

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Bit pissed off as I was up 1 1/2 last Wednesday. I had a Valentine's meal with a lot of red wine and shared a dessert with my boyfriend and then I really pulled it back for the weigh in and thought i'd be fine. I have been sick for about ten days so have done ZERO exercise so that might be it. It's also my first gain since I started so maybe I should count myself lucky. I'm being really strict this week now and counting EVERYTHING just in case. Have a lovely veggie breakfast with tons of greens and left the bread (just in case) it wasn't within the allowance. Am going to be having alcohol over the next two nights so I'll need to be careful especially with the after night out munchies :-/
    Overall, I should be fine I think. Any tips on how to cut down a little bit? Have started synning my lattes even though I probably don't need to which means I'm eating a few syns less each time,

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Bit pissed off as I was up 1 1/2 last Wednesday. I had a Valentine's meal with a lot of red wine and shared a dessert with my boyfriend and then I really pulled it back for the weigh in and thought i'd be fine. I have been sick for about ten days so have done ZERO exercise so that might be it. It's also my first gain since I started so maybe I should count myself lucky. I'm being really strict this week now and counting EVERYTHING just in case. Have a lovely veggie breakfast with tons of greens and left the bread (just in case) it wasn't within the allowance. Am going to be having alcohol over the next two nights so I'll need to be careful especially with the after night out munchies :-/
    Overall, I should be fine I think. Any tips on how to cut down a little bit? Have started synning my lattes even though I probably don't need to which means I'm eating a few syns less each time,
    If you've been sick your body was probably repairing itself and holding onto calories, I'm sure you'll see a loss again next week :) be careful to still have your healthy extras every day as you could actually slow your weight loss by skipping them. Have free food to snack on when you get home from being out to prevent you being tempted by bad food after drinking!

I way over did my syns this week between Valentines day and an evening at a friend's where I ate a lot of chocolate and crisps!! Hoping to undo some damage by going SP for the weekend but still don't think I'll see a loss on Monday! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Can anyone recommend slimming world friendly slow cooker recipes?
    I see this bbq pulled pork recipe on the sw website.

Addle wrote: »

Just type in slow cooker in the search part on the SW recipe page and a couple of pages will come up - I printed a few off the other day. Can't remember them now but there was definitely a spicy pork dish and some currys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks.
    I was using app but search function is much better on website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Addle wrote: »

there's some good stuff in this, some need slight adaptations:

http://cpliz.com/books/CookBooks/CrockSlowPressure/Skinny%20Slow%20Cooker%20Recipe%20Book.pdf

• Advertisement

Down another 2lb this morning even though I ate so much off plan during the week! :o so confused lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Does anyone know how to syn popcorn kernels? I will be making it with Frylight.

I've had a disastrous diet since Valentine's. Had 2 functions over the weekend and didn't even try to make good decisions.
    Had to throw out soup and fruit-such a waste.
    Back on the wagon today.

eviltwin wrote: »

https://www.minimins.com/threads/real-popcorn.187036/
    http://community.babycentre.co.uk/post/a23960093/popcorn_kernels

eviltwin wrote: »

25g of unpopped kernals is 4.5 syns - info taken from the app :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My whatsapp group have set a weekly challenge of no sweets. I'm finding it incredibly tough. I'm drinking 7up to curb the cravings. I've literally done less than 48hrs and want ALL the chocolate which is frankly a little terrifying. Bang on plan today though so I'm delighted.

I was naughty and weighed myself this morning, not supposed to until tomorrow evening.
    But - I am almost 3lb down!! So happy.
    It's given me such a boost of motivation for today, I really want to see the same result on the SW scales tomorrow so I am being extra good today and tomorrow :)

I was naughty and weighed myself this morning, not supposed to until tomorrow evening.
    But - I am almost 3lb down!! So happy.
    It's given me such a boost of motivation for today, I really want to see the same result on the SW scales tomorrow so I am being extra good today and tomorrow :)

Glad you're doing so well :) One slight note of caution is that we're all at our lightest first thing in the morning, so an evening weighin will likely make some difference - if that happens, don't be put off!

Are you starting to feel better in your clothes etc?

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's why I was naughty doing it! But as I know I'm likely to be heavier tomorrow evening, it's given me an extra push to be super good today and tomorrow.
    Plus last time I weighed on my own scales in was first thing in the morning so I am taking away the 2.75lb from that.

I did notice a pair of jeans I wore at the weekend felt the tiniest bit more comfortable but I'm not sure if I was imagining it.
    This is only my second week anyway and I only lost 0.5lb at my last weigh in so I'm not really expecting to feel anything just yet.

It's such a boost though, even if I lost 1.5lb this week I would feel great. It's nice to know that the hard work (ie. refusing chocolate, eating abnormal amounts of broccoli, driving past McDonalds and not stopping) does pay off :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement