Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Yeah, that's why I was naughty doing it! But as I know I'm likely to be heavier tomorrow evening, it's given me an extra push to be super good today and tomorrow.
    Plus last time I weighed on my own scales in was first thing in the morning so I am taking away the 2.75lb from that.

I did notice a pair of jeans I wore at the weekend felt the tiniest bit more comfortable but I'm not sure if I was imagining it.
    This is only my second week anyway and I only lost 0.5lb at my last weigh in so I'm not really expecting to feel anything just yet.

It's such a boost though, even if I lost 1.5lb this week I would feel great. It's nice to know that the hard work (ie. refusing chocolate, eating abnormal amounts of broccoli, driving past McDonalds and not stopping) does pay off :)

Yeah I imagine its tough (in an altogether different way) when you don't have a tonne of weight to lose - obviously its great not to need to shift loads because thats so daunting, but you're not going to see big motivational losses each weak and every lb will be a real achievement.

I don't know about you but I'm not really feeling that deprived - I was a little out of sorts the first week or two, missing all the usual junk foods, but I've found that with some minor modifications a lot of my main meals still work for me and I'm happy and full most of the time. It involves a lot of cooking but I used to do that anyway. I find the hexA, B and hifi bars are enough to curb the cravings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Grrr I was late getting to group last night and just made weigh in - so didn't do my usual wee ritual and was up over target. Then I had to run home and miss group and yep - weeing non stop again (the other week I asked to be weighed again at the end and was down 2 from going to the loo during group)! I'll have to dehydrate myself next week to get back into target lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Yeah I imagine its tough (in an altogether different way) when you don't have a tonne of weight to lose - obviously its great not to need to shift loads because thats so daunting, but you're not going to see big motivational losses each weak and every lb will be a real achievement.

I don't know about you but I'm not really feeling that deprived - I was a little out of sorts the first week or two, missing all the usual junk foods, but I've found that with some minor modifications a lot of my main meals still work for me and I'm happy and full most of the time. It involves a lot of cooking but I used to do that anyway. I find the hexA, B and hifi bars are enough to curb the cravings :)

Honestly, this is the first diet plan I've followed where I haven't felt deprived!
    It's an excellent way to lose weight. The best thing in my eyes is the SW chips :P they make me feel naughty but they're not at all.
    I sprinkle steakhouse seasoning on mine for a kick and have a bit of ketchup out of my syns - it's such a treat.

Other diets I've followed have been very strict on fruit consumption, limiting it to one piece a day because of sugar.
    However the nutritionist that came to my work last week said this was bull as fruit is very good for you and no one should eliminate it.
    So I've been eating bowls of melon, raspberries and blueberries and it keeps me feeling really full plus it's lovely and sweet.

ETA: Oh my God a tablespoon of full fat mayo is 5 syns! I nearly fell off my chair. I have no light stuff with me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ccheidi

Hi been with sw 11 months now and have lost 4 1/2 stones! Have another 17 lbs to go to get to my target!
    The past few weeks I have been sticking to plan religiously and not seeing results! Consultant says that because I not as big as before my body not burning as many calories so weight loss slowed down!
    Has this happened to anyone else? If so how did they kick start their weight loss again and keep themselves motivated!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Wow-what an amazing result.
    Would you try an app like my fitness pal?
    If you put in your current weight and target weight, it will advise you on your calorie intake to achieve your goal.

• Advertisement

4.5 stones! That's incredible, well done you.

Do you do much exercise? Adding some (or more) into your routine could help shift the last few stubborn pounds.

And if you're already exercising maybe you could try changing what you're currently doing? ie try swimming instead of running as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Lost half a pound last night and happy with that as I have had a busy week and haven't been 100% on plan and haven't done any exercise. Someone in the group got their 9st award last night, amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheLass

I find when I'm stuck If I mix up the B choice for the week it gets me moving in the right direction again. Also being really diligent about the fruit and veg helps

My fitness pal doesn't seem to be on the Apple App Store 😕

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Ccheidi wrote: »
    My fitness pal doesn't seem to be on the Apple App Store 😕
    When I look in the app store it's called Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker by M... and then you see it's MyFitnessPal. It's a blue logo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I joined last week, had first weigh in last night and was down 3 pounds. There is a girl in my group who has lost over 2 stone in 7 weeks! Her slimming world book cover is full of bling. Hoping I can keep it going now.

Since Xmas I have been going to 2 fitness classes a week and training to do a 5 k every week! Was only walking a few times a week before that and since lost the weight found the walking too easy so doing tougher stuff now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Ccheidi wrote: »
    Since Xmas I have been going to 2 fitness classes a week and training to do a 5 k every week! Was only walking a few times a week before that and since lost the weight found the walking too easy so doing tougher stuff now!

Fair play to you. I really need to up my game. Walking is great but it'll only bring you so far. I haven't been to SW since before Christmas. I couldn't justify the cost but I'm going to try get back this week. It was really working for me but I've lost momentum with it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Weigh in #5 last night and down 3lbs! Really happy as I'd had a pretty decent week but had meals out etc where I'd had to do some guesstimating about the syns etc.

When I did WW a few years ago, I don't think I got a 3lb loss after the first week or two, so pleased with SW so far :) Total is now 12.5lbs.

Weigh in #5 last night and down 3lbs! Really happy as I'd had a pretty decent week but had meals out etc where I'd had to do some guesstimating about the syns etc.

When I did WW a few years ago, I don't think I got a 3lb loss after the first week or two, so pleased with SW so far :) Total is now 12.5lbs.

That's fabulous, such a nice boost for the weekend too!
    Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I checked out SW on Instagram and I couldn't believe the difference a stone made. There was one girl who dropped from 10 stone to 9 and she looked like a completely different person. I need to lose one stone and I'd be happy but I don't have a clue what weight I am at the moment :/

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheLass

You'll be able to find your local group on their website Romantic Rose. I've lost over 2 stone with them and the difference is shocking. I've been target for a couple of years but now I want to lose another dress size.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭LushiousLips

Could anyone tell me where do I find the Syn Calculator. There are some aldi foods I eat which aren't in the book and I would love to know their syn value. Thanks ;)

Could anyone tell me where do I find the Syn Calculator. There are some aldi foods I eat which aren't in the book and I would love to know their syn value. Thanks ;)

On the SW website but you need to be a member - if you have a SW card you can use your pin to sign in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭LushiousLips

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    On the SW website but you need to be a member - if you have a SW card you can use your pin to sign in :)

Ahh right. It was the app I was using rather than the website. Thanks Betsy:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Down 1/2 pound this morning which I'm completely delighted with because I haven't been fully on plan with mum sick. Gave me back my mojo and I've been on track all day now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does anyone know if the Knorr Instant Mash syn free (like Smash)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Did anyone else watch "Super Slimmers: Did They Really Keep the Weight Off?" its still up on the 4 player, heard someone on YouTube talking about it, they put Slimming World in a bad light, there was no mention of lifestyle change or that the woman who gained all the weight back stopped going as a target member (which you only have to do at the very least every 2 months).

Would be interesting to hear other people's opinions, I suppose its just another channel 4 quasi health show for entertainment. I think with any major change most people don't keep things up because lifestyle changes necessitate a complete paradigm shift.

I watched it, and it really upset me to be honest. They really did portray sw in a bad light, and you are right they made no mention of the fact that the girl just stopped following the plan after she reached target.

I have been at target for over a year and have continued with the plan, aside from the odd 'feck it' days, I've gone on holidays and left sw at home and have never gained more than 1-2 lbs and have managed to shift it within a week or two. I also weigh in every single week, I know if I didn't I could go off track.

I fully intend to remain at my target, because to be quite frank the idea of returning to my original weight and not being able to wear my skinny jeans (size 10!!) frightens the hell out of me, I don't want to be that person again..

I honestly think what they portrayed on that show was pretty bad and could make anyone feel 'what's the bloody point?', and that's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Never once on that show did it mention that the participants stopped following the plans they were on.
    Some of the plans weren't maintainable, but the lady who lost 1lb a week for 2 years had no one but herself to blame for her gain.

People who lose weight and then return to the eating patterns that made them gain weight in the first place either have unrealistic expectations or were never educated about healthy eating and lifestyle in the first place. The reason 'diets' have such a poor success/maintenance rate is that so many people lead themselves to believe if they just follow a diet for long enough to lose weight they can go back to eating whatever they want without ever addressing their problem relationship with food in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Standing in the kitchen doing meal prep at 830 on a Saturday night? Yup I'm dieting 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

People who lose weight and then return to the eating patterns that made them gain weight in the first place either have unrealistic expectations or were never educated about healthy eating and lifestyle in the first place. The reason 'diets' have such a poor success/maintenance rate is that so many people lead themselves to believe if they just follow a diet for long enough to lose weight they can go back to eating whatever they want without ever addressing their problem relationship with food in the first place.

Our leader won't use the word diet for this reason. She says diet implies an eating plan that has an end whereas SW is about a lifestyle change that you maintain even when you reach target.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement