Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

On another note, I'm loving the chocolate shop syrup you can buy in Aldi at the mo. A tea spoon is half a syn and it's absolutely delicious. Yum yum. I used it with a small amount of frozen yogurt and berries and I've also added it to muller lights to make it more chocolately.
    Lemsips are also synned- who knew? They're half a syn each in case anyone is wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Does anyone know if it's a big deal not to have your HEA? I'm not a dairy person. I do take calcium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Does anyone know if it's a big deal not to have your HEA? I'm not a dairy person. I do take calcium

I asked this at my meeting and the leader said it's fine to not have your healthy extras every day.

Super thanks. I drink it if I'm having coffee but I don't have that every day, usually only at work

• Advertisement

Super thanks. I drink it if I'm having coffee but I don't have that every day, usually only at work

You can use non dairy milks as well!

You can use non dairy milks as well!

I wouldn't even know what to do with a non dairy milk rofl.

Day two completely on plan done. Serious sugar cravings this afternoon but got through it.

Determined to do well. I'm at the stage now where weight is holding back my fitness and it's pissing me off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Just picked up the new SW magazine (I like collecting recipes!) and there's a full page ad for the new 500g tubs of the Muller light 'Greek style' yogurts. The ad said that it was syn free, but I've always seen the regular sized pots synned at 0.5 each- anyone know if this is still the case? I've lots in my fridge and not many syns left for the weekend :eek:

Just adding to that. I like to add half a broken up meringue to these. Adds a syn value but nothing too hectic and really gives the yoghurt a little bit more to it and I find it satisfies any need i may be having for sweet things.

Not sure on official Syn value of Meringue but Tesco Finest nests are approx 51kcal per nest so half is 25kcal and going off the 20cal-1 Syn thought process you really aren't adding that much

Iang87 wrote: »
    Just adding to that. I like to add half a broken up meringue to these. Adds a syn value but nothing too hectic and really gives the yoghurt a little bit more to it and I find it satisfies any need i may be having for sweet things.

Not sure on official Syn value of Meringue but Tesco Finest nests are approx 51kcal per nest so half is 25kcal and going off the 20cal-1 Syn thought process you really aren't adding that much

Not a huge fan of meringue myself, but I did stick the coconut Greek style Muller light in the freezer and eat it with some chopped banana and a squirt of choc sauce and it was lovely, lasted ages too!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Trying to stay positive about this lifestyle change but I am really not seeing results on the scales.
    It's v frustrating.
    Could 2 drinks (shorts with slimline tonic) really put 3lbs on the scale?
    They were within my syns...
    Other than that I've been really good all week.

• Advertisement

No there must be something you're overlooking. Are you female by any chance as I see a few posts about weight changes at different weeks due to wimmins things

Ya, female.
    And I am due my period.
    But still, it's difficult to stay disciplined when I don't feel like it's doing anything for me.

I know what you mean, that happened me a few times but just keep plugging away and when it starts its so worth it

So bloody annoyed with myself - I grabbed a Tesco soup this morning for my lunch today thinking it would be low enough in Syns.

Just checked and it's 8.5 for half a pot...such a waste of syns, I'm raging at myself now for not checking before. Lesson learned!

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    So bloody annoyed with myself - I grabbed a Tesco soup this morning for my lunch today thinking it would be low enough in Syns.

Just checked and it's 8.5 for half a pot...such a waste of syns, I'm raging at myself now for not checking before. Lesson learned!
    I know I've made that mistake before they're outrageously high in syns! You'd think something like soup would a safe choice! Down another 1lb today even though I wasn't expecting to after I maxed out my syns last week! Guess the plan does work :)

I know I've made that mistake before they're outrageously high in syns! You'd think something like soup would a safe choice! Down another 1lb today even though I wasn't expecting to after I maxed out my syns last week! Guess the plan does work :)

That's great news, well done :)
    Even nicer when you weren't expecting it!

Ya, female.
    And I am due my period.
    But still, it's difficult to stay disciplined when I don't feel like it's doing anything for me.

If it continues make a food diary of everything you're eating and bring to a meeting. I mean everything along with your quantities. Even the nibble of a bar you may have had

Ya, female.
    And I am due my period.

I usually always gain or maintain just before my period so see how you get on next week you might see it all drop off again!

Ya, female.
    And I am due my period.

Try and up your water intake this week - I personally find that I lose weight quicker when I drink a lot of water. And it helps with the period bloat.
    I'm terrible for doing it though, I get annoyed having to get up and down to the toilet every 20 minutes at work! :o

Changes can be slow, remember that you put the weight on slowly over time and it will be the same coming off.
    You're dong wonders for your health in eating better so even if the scales don't show what you want them to one week just think about all of the goodness you've been putting into your body.

I think next week after your period you'll be pleasantly surprised at your weight loss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

So had a mixed weekend so now have to be really good until my weighin on Thursday.

Friday night - went over on sysn but this was planned. I really wanted to have one of my favourite dinners (homemade pizza - made from the fresh bases you can buy in the fridge section of the supermarket) and used my hex a to offset some of the cheese etc. Still all in all about 30 syns I'd say, but I enjoyed every last mouthful! My plan is to allow myself this maybe once a month, and obviously use that as a tactic to avoid takeaway pizzas.

Saturday was a better day - gym in the morning, and came home and made a SW version of a bacon and egg sandwich using HexB and 2 syns of ketchup/ballymaloe relish. I was syn free for the rest of the day except for 1 syn for ketchup with dinner. I then spent the remainder on 3x G&Ts. (Limiting alcohol to once a week at the moment)

Sunday was questionable so I'd actually really appreciate peoples thoughts on this. I went out for brunch and had eggs florentine (smoked salmon verson of eggs bendict) and a coffee with a dash of low fat milk. I counted 5 syns for holandaise sauce (no idea, just a guess) and classes the english muffin bit as my hexB (even though its not a valid choice). My lunch was made at home so syn free, but I was with my parents for dinner and my dad cooked chinese chicken with cashewnuts which was problematic from both the nuts and oil point of view. This would definitely have used the rest of my syns, and possibly gone over. I had this with white rice and salad for speed.

I brought overnight oats with me for breakfast today and will be home to make lunch and dinner also so planning a good day today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Can someone explain tweaks to me. I understand the concept but I don't get why some are syned and others not. Is there a guide to them somewhere?

Iang87 wrote: »
    If it continues make a food diary of everything you're eating and bring to a meeting. I mean everything along with your quantities. Even the nibble of a bar you may have had
    I am recording everything.
    I don't do nibbles!
    It's all or nothing with me and bar the 2 g&ts, I've stuck to the plan.

There are a list of lots of tweaks at the back of the book-cooked fruit etc.

So had a mixed weekend so now have to be really good until my weighin on Thursday.

Friday night - went over on sysn but this was planned. I really wanted to have one of my favourite dinners (homemade pizza - made from the fresh bases you can buy in the fridge section of the supermarket) and used my hex a to offset some of the cheese etc. Still all in all about 30 syns I'd say, but I enjoyed every last mouthful! My plan is to allow myself this maybe once a month, and obviously use that as a tactic to avoid takeaway pizzas.

Saturday was a better day - gym in the morning, and came home and made a SW version of a bacon and egg sandwich using HexB and 2 syns of ketchup/ballymaloe relish. I was syn free for the rest of the day except for 1 syn for ketchup with dinner. I then spent the remainder on 3x G&Ts. (Limiting alcohol to once a week at the moment)

Sunday was questionable so I'd actually really appreciate peoples thoughts on this. I went out for brunch and had eggs florentine (smoked salmon verson of eggs bendict) and a coffee with a dash of low fat milk. I counted 5 syns for holandaise sauce (no idea, just a guess) and classes the english muffin bit as my hexB (even though its not a valid choice). My lunch was made at home so syn free, but I was with my parents for dinner and my dad cooked chinese chicken with cashewnuts which was problematic from both the nuts and oil point of view. This would definitely have used the rest of my syns, and possibly gone over. I had this with white rice and salad for speed.

I brought overnight oats with me for breakfast today and will be home to make lunch and dinner also so planning a good day today :)

If you're like me and prefer homemade pizza made with an actual dough base and not mucking around with cauliflower/mashed potato/whatever my pro tip is to pick up a pack of wholemeal bread mix in Aldi or Tesco and make it up as instructed. Once it's risen, portion out into 60g balls and you can roll these out to make pizza bases using your HEB. If you do an SP day you can have 2 of these to make a bigger base, otherwise it's 3 syns per extra 30g you use. I freeze any leftover balls and then you can have pizza bases on hand for when you need :)

Regarding syns, best not to overthink what you ate for the weekend, just focus on sticking to the plan this week, maybe try an SP or keep your syns a bit lower during the week and you should be fine :)
    eviltwin wrote: »
    Can someone explain tweaks to me. I understand the concept but I don't get why some are syned and others not. Is there a guide to them somewhere?

My understanding of it is when you use free foods in a way they're not intended to be eaten in order to make snacks or desserts that result in you overeating without realising. A good example is when people make crisps out of lasange sheets- eating lasange sheets in a pasta dish is fine because you're eating it with speed and protein and naturally limiting your intake that way. But eating it as a snack it's not as filling so you can easily eat loads more than you would for dinner. People seem to get very hung up on these though so I think you need to use your head and ask if whatever 'tweak' you're making is going to result in you eating more of a food than if you had it in the 'normal' way. I'm of the opinion that if it's not affecting your losses then go ahead!

I don't get the whole making crisps from pasta sheets thing...syns are there to be used, if I was craving crisps that badly I'd just have a packet!

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I don't get the whole making crisps from pasta sheets thing...syns are there to be used, if I was craving crisps that badly I'd just have a packet!

Lol I agree completely, bought a multipack of Meanies in for my crisp cravings, only 4 syns a pack :D

OT but can anyone hazard a guess at what size Adele is?
    I know she's relatively tall at nearly 5' 9".
    I love her look at the Grammys last night.

OT but can anyone hazard a guess at what size Adele is?
    I know she's relatively tall at nearly 5' 9".
    I love her look at the Grammys last night.

I'd guess 16-18? Watching Beyoncé's performance made my morning! <3

I am recording everything.
    I don't do nibbles!
    It's all or nothing with me and bar the 2 g&ts, I've stuck to the plan.

There are a list of lots of tweaks at the back of the book-cooked fruit etc.

Have you done your measurements? On a week like this where you can't see it on the scales its a good time to do measurements so you can see it somewhere else so to speak! I also tend to gain/maintain coming up to TOM. Its pretty commmon

Haven't measured, but haven't noticed any difference in clothes

I have a wedding next weekend so am trying to be good in advance (of being bad).

• Advertisement

Haven't measured, but haven't noticed any difference in clothes

I have a wedding next weekend so am trying to be good in advance (of being bad).

Well I would do measurements and progress pics for yourself now so you have them. I have found them great at times like that

On a seperate note would anyone have any idea what a butchers burger would be syns wise? Very good quality mince and a standard size patty not a quarter pounder. Any ideas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement