Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I eat yogurts and spinach/broccoli/kale so not overly worried about the calcium side. Will keep an eye on the fibre though... I'm a snacker which is my downfall: I don't think I've ever eaten as much fruit in my life as I have since Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Some seeds can be used as HEB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 awhellcastiel

Hey, could anyone tell me what the average Slimming World member is like? I know that's like asking the length of a piece of string but I was hoping to join tonight...I'm only slightly overweight though, 5'5" and 70kg. I wear a size ten and was hoping to get back to a size eight for holidays. Honestly, would I look like an absolute tool showing up to a Slimming World meeting? Would it be insulting to members who were much heavier? My Dad and aunties recommended it to me, they all lost huge amounts of weight on it. I'm eighteen also if that makes a difference. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Hey, could anyone tell me what the average Slimming World member is like? I know that's like asking the length of a piece of string but I was hoping to join tonight...I'm only slightly overweight though, 5'5" and 70kg. I wear a size ten and was hoping to get back to a size eight for holidays. Honestly, would I look like an absolute tool showing up to a Slimming World meeting? Would it be insulting to members who were much heavier? My Dad and aunties recommended it to me, they all lost huge amounts of weight on it. I'm eighteen also if that makes a difference. Thanks!

I can't speak for all groups but I honestly don't think you would have anything to worry about. My group is extremely welcoming and friendly and we have all shapes and sizes. The amount of weight you want to lose is kind of irrelevant it's more about the journey to get there! Give it a go, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

In my group there's a couple of schoolgirls. A couple of pensioners. Some girls looking to lose half stone max. Some men looking to lose 10 stone (loads of men* joined last night for some reason) and loads in between. Pop along to the first meeting near you and see how you feel. If you're going to feel awkwrd/weird then just don't sign up. I'm fairly sure you'll feel OK but it's completely up to our own comfort levels

*I say loads of men, it was about 3 but I was down to myself there for a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Don't forget awhellcastiel, everyone in the room is there for the same reason! No one would think anything bad of you for trying to become happy in your own skin :) No matter how much or little you have to lose, you're bound to get loads of support from everyone in the group, and give support to others too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

ncmc wrote:
    Do people find that their food bills have gone up or down since starting SW? We did a €80 shop in Aldi yesterday and I need to go to Tesco to pick up a few bits that we couldn’t get in Aldi, so that will probably be another €30. Previously a €60 shop would easily do us a week! But I suppose there was some store items like herbs and spices and it will probably balance out over time as we won’t be getting weekend takeaways etc. But eating homemade, fresh food with lots of meat can be more expensive than a diet of cheap processed food which is a shame.

But eating homemade, fresh food with lots of meat can be more expensive than a diet of cheap processed food which is a shame.[/quote]

This is not actually true. Try not eating meat every day and adding some fish. You can get fresh hake in aldi for 5 euro. Also, try pulses there are so many in tesco and if you buy them dried theyre dirt cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Weighed a day early to draw a line under a bad week and was down half a pound! Head is back in the game for next week now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

Vahevala wrote:
    Starting tomorrow, I am going to try to calorie count again, just want to try & see if I can survive on that and if worst case, I will re-evaluate it again I am going to try and really push on the exercise front. I have got so lazy recently.

I personally would ditch sw and go for the exercise. Calorie counting is useless. If you eat proper fresh food without anything processed you are bound to lose weight. Maybe a dietician could do up a plan for you? Money better spent in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

janes1234 wrote: »
    I personally would ditch sw and go for the exercise. Calorie counting is useless. If you eat proper fresh food without anything processed you are bound to lose weight. Maybe a dietician could do up a plan for you? Money better spent in my opinion.

Calorie counting isn't useless at all.

It's a very simple, very basic method that WORKS. It's no use for health aspects but on a purely weight loss or gain aspect, it works perfectly.

• Advertisement

It's useless in slimming world terms as it kinda goes against the whole idea of 'free' food

However anyone who uses more calories than they eat is going to lose weight

I haven't the time/patience/inclination to count calories but whatever works for you is what you should do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I don't agree. I'm an experienced home cook and make beautifully delicious food from scratch and use the very best of ingredients but was still tentative in my decision to join SW as being able to eat unlimited anything is not a great idea imho. I think SW is great (particularly if you have a rubbish diet, which I never have had) but for someone like me who is just a piggy who adores food and lots of it, then I still need to be semi cognisant of what I'm taking it, regardless of how apparently 'free' it is.

Dodge wrote: »
    It's useless in slimming world terms as it kinda goes against the whole idea of 'free' food

However anyone who uses more calories than they eat is going to lose weight

I haven't the time/patience/inclination to count calories but whatever works for you is what you should do

Oh yeah, absolutely it doesn't work while doing slimming world. It was the suggestion of quitting sw AND saying that calorie counting is useless that grated on me because calorie counting is a tried, tested and true way to lose weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Looking for help with a recipe guys if anyone has made it recently. I'm looking to make chicken cassarole. Now Im assuming cooking the chicken in one cal spray will mean it's free with my potatoes and veg that should all be ok. Where I want to make the change is the packet of mix I normally use is the chicken cassarole packet that I add water to.

Has anyone made chicken cassarole subbing the packet for an oxo cube chicken flavour instead to keep it syn free ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Down 2 on Monday so the fight back begins:D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Glitzgirl wrote:
    Has anyone made chicken cassarole subbing the packet for an oxo cube chicken flavour instead to keep it syn free ?

I've never used the packet but I make chicken casserole with stock cube, bit of onion powder, celery salt and some mixed herbs, gives it a nice flavour that I like but really if you like a certain herb or spice put that in and see how you like it. It make take you a few trys with different combos but you'll find something you like and wonder why you ever even used the packet

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Any idea how many Syns are in the aloe king drinks? The pommergranit and the mango
    Thanks! Still trying to figure all this out

I've never used the packet but I make chicken casserole with stock cube, bit of onion powder, celery salt and some mixed herbs, gives it a nice flavour that I like but really if you like a certain herb or spice put that in and see how you like it. It make take you a few trys with different combos but you'll find something you like and wonder why you ever even used the packet

Very well said! I'm starting to find that now as I go to be honest. I'm actually looking forward to trying new recipes! :) when you use the cube how long do you need to leave the casserole in the oven for off hand do you know ? Thanks for your help :)

Glitzgirl wrote:
    Very well said! I'm starting to find that now as I go to be honest. I'm actually looking forward to trying new recipes! when you use the cube how long do you need to leave the casserole in the oven for off hand do you know ? Thanks for your help

I usually brown off the chicken then the veg add the rest of the ingredients into the dish and put it into the oven at 180 for about an hour depending on what cut of chicken I use, I like thighs so they take a little bit longer. I do the same kind of thing with the turkey drumsticks from Dunne's, they work really well

horsefarm wrote:
    Any idea how many Syns are in the aloe king drinks? The pommergranit and the mango Thanks! Still trying to figure all this out

Can't find it on the slimming world site but if you have the packet you can run the nutritional information through the syns calculator

• Advertisement

Thanks stillthinking :) made out my meal plans for the week last night and just spent an hour this morning in a kickboxing exercise class and it was so bloody cold I'm looking forward to eating something nice and warm and homely thats sw friendly ! :)

horsefarm wrote: »
    Any idea how many Syns are in the aloe king drinks? The pommergranit and the mango
    Thanks! Still trying to figure all this out

don't know those drinks but if they're on on the SW website/app then you can use the syn calculator to work out the syns from the nutritional information on the pack/bottle

A handy rule-of-thumb is that 1 syn = 20 kcals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I didn't last on the calorie counting, I hate all the measuring lol.

First weigh in since re-joining is in less than an hour. Christ I hope I'll get a decent loss (or any loss!). I've been super strict so I hope it pays off!

First weigh in since re-joining is in less than an hour. Christ I hope I'll get a decent loss (or any loss!). I've been super strict so I hope it pays off!

Best of luck ! :)

Waiting for everyone else to weigh in, so I'll share how I did...

6.5lbs down!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Down 2 lbs myself. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well done everyone on the weigh ins!

I was down 6.75 and hubby down 7.25, can't believe we lost a stone between us in a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Up half a pound so still within target range :)
    Tiny bit disappointed because I was perfectly on plan and more active than usual all week but as long as I'm within that target range I'm happy out, think I have to get used to the fact that I will naturally fluctuate up to a couple of pounds above or below that magic target number. It feels strange not to be looking for a loss every week!
    Well done all, looks like everyone is doing great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

dee_mc wrote: »
    Up half a pound so still within target range :)
    Tiny bit disappointed because I was perfectly on plan and more active than usual all week but as long as I'm within that target range I'm happy out, think I have to get used to the fact that I will naturally fluctuate up to a couple of pounds above or below that magic target number. It feels strange not to be looking for a loss every week!
    Well done all, looks like everyone is doing great :)

I'm the exact same Dee, I'm finding it strange being on maintenance. I stayed the same on Monday and was disappointed as I wanted a loss, as I am thinking of moving my target again. I'm missing the 'buzz' of losing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement