Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just to let ye know, Aldi have the flavoured Frylight (small can, garlic flavour and chilli flavour) on offer tomorrow Sunday at €1.99 - it's usually around €3.50. And Dunnes have the regular Olive oil and Sunflower oil varieties for €2.50 - it's usually around €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Woo I can finally get back online ! Well at weigh in earlier this week and was 1.5 pounds down. Was happy with that considering id been sick and sucking away on strepsils all week. Hoping for a good result at next weigh in too !

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Been very careful so far got weighed in on wednesday and was up so
    im trying to make this my first proper week back on plan! Ended up working
    a crazy long day yesterday from 9-12 and with very little food in between
    got home and devoured some nice biscuits :( Praying that my slip up doesnt affect what has
    been good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Been very careful so far got weighed in on wednesday and was up so
    im trying to make this my first proper week back on plan! Ended up working
    a crazy long day yesterday from 9-12 and with very little food in between
    got home and devoured some nice biscuits :( Praying that my slip up doesnt affect what has
    been good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

How do you syn eating out? Like I was out today... Had soup to start (no bread) and trout for lunch (which unfortunately was swimming in butter), cauliflower and potatoes (again with butter). I can't figure out how to do it. Just syn alot of butter or do I need to syn the whole thing?

And a chocolate fudge cake with ice cream and cream. I don't get out much ;)

I know I went nuts today but have to eat out all day Thurs (bfast, lunch and dinner) before I get weighed so don't want to gain this week. If I can help it: lots of walking for the week too.

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »
    How do you syn eating out? Like I was out today... Had soup to start (no bread) and trout for lunch (which unfortunately was swimming in butter), cauliflower and potatoes (again with butter). I can't figure out how to do it. Just syn alot of butter or do I need to syn the whole thing?

And a chocolate fudge cake with ice cream and cream. I don't get out much ;)

I know I went nuts today but have to eat out all day Thurs (bfast, lunch and dinner) before I get weighed so don't want to gain this week. If I can help it: lots of walking for the week too.

It's just guesswork really when you are eating out. For the butter on the trout, veg and potatoes, I'd probably count 8 or 10 syns but it could easily be more. The soup could have been low in syns or it could have been very high - it all depends on whether it contained milk, cream, butter, oil, flour etc for thickening.
    A small slice of a chocolate fudge cake I calculated recently came to 13.5 syns, it would've been a little over half the size of a typical slice of cake you'd get in a restaurant and had icing on top but not in the middle. So you could be looking at more than that, plus your ice cream (4 syns a scoop typically) and cream (3.5 syns per tablespoon, from memory).
    For Thursday, if you want to keep the syns more realistic, I'd avoid soup and go for salad without dressing (ask for lemon juice instead, or get it on the side so you can control the amount of dressing) and ask for your potatoes and veg to be prepared without added fat. If you're not comfortable with mentioning SW, you can just say 'please prepare everything without oil and butter because I can't tolerate them'.
    You could bring overnight oats or something for breakfast, it's fairly hard to eat out for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Might try do cereal bars for breakfast as my hexb and fruit so... And let everyone else have a fry! And try forget today happened :D especially the chocolate fudge cake.

Ah listen we all need a big dirty slice of chocolate cake every now and again!
    I bought a little insulated lunch bag in M&S a few months ago and it's fantastic, enough space for a tub of Liberte yogurt, a pack of Ryvita, a jar of almond butter, a packet of ham or smoked salmon, a couple of apples, a small box of carrot sticks and a spoon - that's my go-to lunch and/or snacks on the run :D

Ah listen we all need a big dirty slice of chocolate cake every now and again!
    I bought a little insulated lunch bag in M&S a few months ago and it's fantastic, enough space for a tub of Liberte yogurt, a pack of Ryvita, a jar of almond butter, a packet of ham or smoked salmon, a couple of apples, a small box of carrot sticks and a spoon - that's my go-to lunch and/or snacks on the run :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would think breakfast is the easiest meal to have out, I had breakfast out on Saturday and had scrambled egg, bacon, mushrooms, beans and one slice of brown toast with no butter. It was lovely and I was stuffed after it. I just hope the egg wasn't made with loads of butter etc! You could have poached egg on toast if you weren't sure how the scrambled was cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I personally wouldn't find breakfast easy to get while out.. Unless you can specify that you want it grilled with no oil or butter.. Or scrambled egg again with no butter. I find lunch the easiest, Salads etc and the likes if Blanchardstown SC has a noodle bar that will use spray oil if you ask them to and there stuff is gorgeous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

NSV NSV! :D My new coat arrived today - size SMALL :p

tk123 wrote: »
    NSV NSV! :D My new coat arrived today - size SMALL :p

Nice one, Well done! I had a similar NSV on Saturday, tried a couple of tops on in medium and they were way too big, so the small was bought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Guys I can't cope! No amount of food is satisfying me for the last few days. Like I've eaten so much food and all I'm thinking is what can I eat next! Yesterday I had a slice of toast and a cup of tea for breakfast. Some strawberries and a pear as a mid morning snack. A mug of soup and a ham sandwich for lunch with another pear. Then a cup of tea. For dinner cola chicken with rice. Snacks yesterday evening were 2 raw carrots a pear and two more cups of tea with a freddo. I drank 1.5litres of water too. Like that seems like a lot of food for me. It's way more than I'd normally eat but I still wanted more at the end of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Wellyd wrote:
    Guys I can't cope! No amount of food is satisfying me for the last few days. Like I've eaten so much food and all I'm thinking is what can I eat next! Yesterday I had a slice of toast and a cup of tea for breakfast. Some strawberries and a pear as a mid morning snack. A mug of soup and a ham sandwich for lunch with another pear. Then a cup of tea. For dinner cola chicken with rice. Snacks yesterday evening were 2 raw carrots a pear and two more cups of tea with a freddo. I drank 1.5litres of water too. Like that seems like a lot of food for me. It's way more than I'd normally eat but I still wanted more at the end of it all.

We all get days like that, just can't be satisfied no matter how much we eat! Everything you ate was good filling food so don't worry about it, just carry on with the plan and if you still feel empty maybe try eating more protein in the morning, that's supposed to help you feel fuller for longer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Wellyd wrote: »

Personally speaking I'd consider that a lot of sugar for one day. I know they say unlimited fruit but I think it works better for me if I've some fruit (maybe a banana and an apple throughout the day) and just have heaps of veg at every opportunity and lots of protein too. Would you consider an omelette or boiled eggs with breakfast? Do you eat yogurt? The Liberte yogurts are delicious and low Syn. Was the mug of soup homemade or out of a packet? Was the rice white or brown? Because the SW plan does work but I still think you need to be mindful of sugar but that's just me personally. The higher sugar content, regardless of being within plan or not, will make you that bit hungrier. Protein is your friend!

I'm no expert but I know I couldn't cope without any protein until lunchtime. I know lots of people find it hard to eat much in the morning but could you squeeze a yogurt in there somewhere, or maybe have eggs with your toast? One of the ladies in my group shared a recipe for scrambled eggs made with Quark and everybody is raving about it!
    I'd imagine the main reason you're hungry though (and maybe cold too?) is that there's so little fat in there. Are you using your A choice? Last Winter I used to be really hungry so I started using a bit of cheese from my Healthy Extra allowance and it warmed me right up! This year I'm using a teaspoon or two of nut butter most days, just to get a little bit of good fat in the diet. I'm amazed at the difference it makes (really helps with dry skin too!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'd suggest bulking up your breakfast. I can tell you that I eat a goof bit more than you too

Today's plan
    breakfast; Tub of quark with some frozen raspberries (eaten about 2 hours after they're put together, vanilla essense for some taste to the quark)

lunch;
    1) home made burger (95% lean mince, use an Aldi wholemeal thin as a bun (hexb), slice of low fat Aldi cheese single, lighter than light mayo, some salad, onion, tomato). Had an apple too
    2) side salad of lettuce, peppers, red onions, spinach, tomatos and feta cheese (that and the single for burger are my hexa)

Dinner; chicken arrabiati pasta (basically a spicy tomato sauce packed with veg).

For snacks I'll have carrot sticks (I cut them myself because they're so much more appealing in stick form...) and either a small bar of chocolate or a small packet of crisps watching TV tonight. I also drink at least 1 litre of pepsi max a day.

I have protein with every meal and usually carbs at least twice a day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah i would def have a bigger breakfast. A slice of toast wouldn't even register to me ha ha.

I have scrambled eggs every morning for breakfast with bowl of melon and strawberries. Then around 11 i have tea, my benefit bar (HEB) and maybe a yoghurt and fruit. Then lunch at the mo is homemade soup, maybe some ryvita for another heb option and some slices of ham and then more melon.

There are so many free foods out there to fill up on so i would look in to that. Even make the mini egg muffins the night before and have them for breakfast the next day if you are tight for time in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I've been eating a lower-carb, higher-fat diet this week and finding myself a lot more satisfied. I've been really busy and a bit stressed so felt I was propping myself up on sugar too much. I already feel like I have more energy. Even though I'm pretty much doing my own thing now I'll keep going to group for the moment, as it's a bit of motivational top-up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Dolbert wrote: »
    I've been eating a lower-carb, higher-fat diet this week and finding myself a lot more satisfied. I've been really busy and a bit stressed so felt I was propping myself up on sugar too much. I already feel like I have more energy. Even though I'm pretty much doing my own thing now I'll keep going to group for the moment, as it's a bit of motivational top-up!

I've been doing the same the last few days. Sp days, but with lots of protein and veggies and using my syns on butter and milk. I have lots more energy and feel fuller for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Thanks everyone! I don't normally eat breakfast at all but for the last few days I've been having it hoping that I won't feel as hungry in the evening. I'm a really plain eater so don't like yogurts, quark or most vegetables. I usually wouldn't eat as many pears in a day it's just I'm trying to grab something syn free to eat. I do use my healthy a everyday. Sometimes I have 2 and syn the extra one. I'm an absolute cheese fiend so I'm trying to limit that this week! Maybe it's just me being a bit all over the place. I did way too much exercise last week and ended up fainting so I've felt a bit off since maybe it's just my body trying to compensate in someway.

Oh that's not good. Maybe to just give yourself an idea you should input a typical day into MyFitnessPal. I know they say with SW you don't need to but if you're exercising like mad and have a serious calorie deficit then that's not good for your health so it would be worth keeping an eye on.

If you like plain food would you consider porridge? It's slow release and nutritionally would be good. Or something like this maybe? http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/overnight-oats.aspx

Would you eat grilled bacon, eggs and tomato for brekkie maybe? Or beans on toast?

Tbh I usually have a huge breakfast and a light lunch and then a reasonable dinner. It makes a big difference having a good breakfast if you can face it.

Another suggestion for breakfast welld would be the baked oats, they are really nice and you can have them as plain as you like.. I tasted some last night in SW where the woman added grated carrot and cinnamon, had a real carrot cake flavour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If you don't like veg, have you tried making veg soup? I make LOADS of it because the sisters are fussy eaters and don't like a lot of veg, but they love the speed soups I make.

Weighed in this morning instead of in the evening. Shocked that I'm down 2.5lbs. Delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow night's weigh after being away in the UK for the weekend. I didn't go too mad but went over both days and I've still got some fluid retention in my legs though it's not as bad this morning as it was yesterday.

deisemum wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to tomorrow night's weigh after being away in the UK for the weekend. I didn't go too mad but went over both days and I've still got some fluid retention in my legs though it's not as bad this morning as it was yesterday.

Drink some dandelion tea as its a natural diuretic and great after flying etc. You'll be peeing constantly though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Merkin wrote: »
    Drink some dandelion tea as its a natural diuretic and great after flying etc. You'll be peeing constantly though!

When I was a child, many decades ago we used to call dandelions pissy beds and we'd chase each other with a dandelion and mark them with it and then tell them they'd pee the bed that night :D

Do you know what it tastes like? I'm already taking blood pressure tablets that are supposed to be diuretic.

Down a pound so back to exactly my target weight! All go here as we've a family wedding at the weekend, and I just realised the dress I'm wearing is a smaller size than the one I had for my confirmation (19 years ago!) :D

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    When I was a child, many decades ago we used to call dandelions pissy beds and we'd chase each other with a dandelion and mark them with it and then tell them they'd pee the bed that night :D

Do you know what it tastes like? I'm already taking blood pressure tablets that are supposed to be diuretic.

Lol, so did we! :)

Dandelion tea is not very nice THB. Green tea is good too and a lot more palatable but not quite as effective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement