Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ncmc wrote: »
    Do people find that their food bills have gone up or down since starting SW? We did a €80 shop in Aldi yesterday and I need to go to Tesco to pick up a few bits that we couldn’t get in Aldi, so that will probably be another €30. Previously a €60 shop would easily do us a week! But I suppose there was some store items like herbs and spices and it will probably balance out over time as we won’t be getting weekend takeaways etc. But eating homemade, fresh food with lots of meat can be more expensive than a diet of cheap processed food which is a shame.

Get all your herbs and spices in an asian shop, save you a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Get all your herbs and spices in an asian shop, save you a fortune
    There isn't an asian shop handy to me unfortunately, so I am at the mercy of the big multiples! To be fair, Aldi has dried spices for next to nothing, it's just the fresh stuff like ginger that's a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

We always shop in Aldi and our shop has gone up a bit but the super 6 offers help and our local butcher does a slimming world pack for 20 quid which will give you all you need for the week.

The only extras are the likes of spray oil, quinola that we have to go elsewhere to buy.

All sauces are made from scratch and always have been in our house, just made differently now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I am finding it difficult to get off to sleep and especially because I am studying 8-11 at night and feeling in need of a treat, I have two slices of toasted brown bread with butter and a mug of tea for supper. I find the carbs just help with sleep for some reason! Am I sabotaging myself doing this?

I actually looked this up earlier in the week as I find if I don't have carbs in the evening I can't sleep either! It's something to do with affecting the sleep hormones. If the bread is HEXB or synned and your butter is synned it shouldn't be a problem! Or you could try laughing cow light instead?

Do you find yourself snacking on fruit and nothing else? Try getting some protein snacks in there as well, like sliced chicken or fat free Greek yoghurt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

We always shop in Aldi and our shop has gone up a bit but the super 6 offers help and our local butcher does a slimming world pack for 20 quid which will give you all you need for the week.

The only extras are the likes of spray oil, quinola that we have to go elsewhere to buy.

All sauces are made from scratch and always have been in our house, just made differently now.

I've noticed Aldi have started doing the spray oil not sure on the price difference but I'd say there would be compared with it and Tescos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

According to media reports black pudding is a super food, are there any low or no syn versions out there..........i rather, rather enjoy it :D

The first thing I did when I read that yesterday was look up the syns!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

tk123 wrote: »
    The first thing I did when I read that yesterday was look up the syns!! :p

And did you find anything or anyone that can be used,

can't beat black pudding and boxty !

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I've noticed Aldi have started doing the spray oil not sure on the price difference but I'd say there would be compared with it and Tescos.

I seen them the other day but the aldi spray oils are 2 calories per spray so wouldnt be considered as free so would need to be synned so didnt get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Does anyone know how many syns are in a 17g bag of Tayto Snax? Someone bought me a pack on lunch and I just felt i had to eat them in front of them. I couldn't even take a pic of the info to syn it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think when stuck a pretty good rule of thumb is 1 Syn per 20 calories. Don't beat yourself up over it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Does anyone know how many syns are in a 17g bag of Tayto Snax? Someone bought me a pack on lunch and I just felt i had to eat them in front of them. I couldn't even take a pic of the info to syn it myself.

If people try to give me food and I really feel I can't say no I say 'ooh thanks, not hungry now but these'll make a great snack later at home!' ... then palm it off on someone else. Can't hack feeders :D

1.5 pounds down so I'm back to my target weight :)
    Delighted.
    Also bought Red Herring jeans and a Mango dress in a size 8 today which was a very very nice feeling, particularly as a little over a year ago the largest size in Mango wouldn't go near me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    I seen them the other day but the aldi spray oils are 2 calories per spray so wouldnt be considered as free so would need to be synned so didnt get it.

Hmm I might be using my spray wrong then so!

Thanks for that help and the tip!!

Ps. A size 8 is unreal. Well deserved

Ps. A size 8 is unreal. Well deserved

Thank you!
    I had been struggling to settle on a style of clothing that suits my 'new shape' (after years of knowing at a glance whether something would suit me or not) so had a nice little spree today and have a much better idea of what suits me now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

dee_mc wrote: »
    Thank you!
    I had been struggling to settle on a style of clothing that suits my 'new shape' (after years of knowing at a glance whether something would suit me or not) so had a nice little spree today and have a much better idea of what suits me now :)

Enjoy your new shape Dee you deserve it! I really need to invest in some new bras! I swear I had to have a root around the other day to try find my boob in the cup! Haven't been measured since I started slimming world and there is definitely less boobage now!

Wellyd wrote:
    Enjoy your new shape Dee you deserve it! I really need to invest in some new bras! I swear I had to have a root around the other day to try find my boob in the cup! Haven't been measured since I started slimming world and there is definitely less boobage now!

Bra extenders can help when you're losing weight - I found a bra I loved when I was first losing weight, but needed a 3 notch extender to make the band big enough. I got a good 6 months out of that size bra (3 different colours!) because I could go down a notch every few weeks as I lost the weight. But yeah I'm right there with you on the (lack of) volume side of things :D A small price to pay though, right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I have a Fitbit since Sep 2014 and just love it! You can drop me a PM if you want to become friends on Fitbit :)

Sorry I'm only seeing this now, yes that would be great, I'll send you a pm in the morning!

Just a quick one guys, are Knorr stock pots free? Just the regular beef, chicken, veg ones. I've been using them instead of cubes and never thought to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Just a quick one guys, are Knorr stock pots free? Just the regular beef, chicken, veg ones. I've been using them instead of cubes and never thought to check.

Just checked there, yes they are free. Thanks for asking as I always thought they were synned!

Thanks for that, they're reduced in tesco at the mo and I stocked up before checking.

Just had a lovely free breakfast, egg and banana pancakes with lemon juice and canderel on top. My 19 month old loved them is well, had to shovel them in to me before she polished off mine too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Yep, they're free. It's just the curry and gravy pots that are synned

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Been very much AWOL for quite a while! Went to group yesterday for the first time since reaching my target on 12-Dec, and I was up 3lb. Absolutely delighted with this, especially as it keeps me in my target range. Want to get it off though! Had a nice spree myself in the sales, time to ditch the big clothes- no way I want to be needing them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I weighed in yesterday and lost 1lb and that was after having a chinese meal (which I didn't enjoy... too fatty & greasy!) so sit 3 lbs under target and am 1 lb away from having lost 8 stone in total (though SW won't let me lose anymore...)

I still feel that I want to weigh in each week at group, helps to keep me on track and if I didn't have that, I fear that I could be tempted by the dreaded Pizza again! :eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Ok so don't know if any one remembers but I left slimming world 6 weeks ago after not losing any weight over almost 2 months. And there was my lovely consultant who said I would most certainly regret it.

Well 6 weeks later and I'm down half a stone! And yes that includes Christmas and New Years. I got lucky in the weekend before Christmas in that I was sick and lost a few pounds so that compensated for any holiday gain.

I've been primarily using my fitness pal to track what I'm eating and using a lot of slimming world principles. But I have upped my fat and lowered my carbs and I have to say I feel much better for it. My skin and hair is in much better condition and I have more energy. The high carb low fat aspect of slimming world was great to get off the excess weight but I found once I was at a healthy weight again it just wasn't doing anything for me.

Not slagging off slimming world it's a great plan and worked great for me when I was overweight but really did nothing for me waiting to shift the last few pounds.

I'm 4 pounds away from my original target now and I'd like to lose those but it will be through a combination of diet and exercise. I'm more interested in toning what I already have and if a few pounds come off as well that would be great. I'm in the awkward stage of being slightly between sizes where my current clothes are too big but the next size down is slightly too tight, but I think exercise will help with that.

Highly recommend slimming world to anyone who wants to lose weight and needs a plan to do it. It's a great plan and it will work for most to a certain extent, others like me it will only get you so far. I would say know the plan inside out but a lot of it is common sense. Like with the 20kcal equals 1 syn for all junk and what not. Finding a great consultant is great but I don't think everything they say should be taken to heart. Like muller lights, mugshots, hi if bars and Diet Coke. Eat them if you want but don't kid yourself that you're eating healthily.

On the other hand all your basic meals can be made slimming world style, eggs, spag Bol, chilli, shepards pie etc.

It's honestly easier than it looks. At the start it can look overwhelming but just take it slowly and you'll have it by heart in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

ameliams wrote: »
    Ok so don't know if any one remembers but I left slimming world 6 weeks ago after not losing any weight over almost 2 months. And there was my lovely consultant who said I would most certainly regret it.

Well 6 weeks later and I'm down half a stone! And yes that includes Christmas and New Years. I got lucky in the weekend before Christmas in that I was sick and lost a few pounds so that compensated for any holiday gain.

I've been primarily using my fitness pal to track what I'm eating and using a lot of slimming world principles. But I have upped my fat and lowered my carbs and I have to say I feel much better for it. My skin and hair is in much better condition and I have more energy. The high carb low fat aspect of slimming world was great to get off the excess weight but I found once I was at a healthy weight again it just wasn't doing anything for me.

Not slagging off slimming world it's a great plan and worked great for me when I was overweight but really did nothing for me waiting to shift the last few pounds.

I'm 4 pounds away from my original target now and I'd like to lose those but it will be through a combination of diet and exercise. I'm more interested in toning what I already have and if a few pounds come off as well that would be great. I'm in the awkward stage of being slightly between sizes where my current clothes are too big but the next size down is slightly too tight, but I think exercise will help with that.

Highly recommend slimming world to anyone who wants to lose weight and needs a plan to do it. It's a great plan and it will work for most to a certain extent, others like me it will only get you so far. I would say know the plan inside out but a lot of it is common sense. Like with the 20kcal equals 1 syn for all junk and what not. Finding a great consultant is great but I don't think everything they say should be taken to heart. Like muller lights, mugshots, hi if bars and Diet Coke. Eat them if you want but don't kid yourself that you're eating healthily.

On the other hand all your basic meals can be made slimming world style, eggs, spag Bol, chilli, shepards pie etc.

It's honestly easier than it looks. At the start it can look overwhelming but just take it slowly and you'll have it by heart in no time.

Well done to you, I did the likes of MFP in the past before SW, I just couldn't handle all the weighing, measuring aspect of it and I felt hungry on it. I do see some of your points but I think SW just fits in more with my lifestyle. Sometimes, I eat mugshots (having one very soon in fact) but it is easy, quick and a hell of a lot better than having a baguette from the local shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

ameliams wrote: »

It really is. It's just eating healthy food. Simple as that

Some of us, myself included, need a bit of structure around that but anyone can lose weight (with or without a plan/group) if they eat right. Well done on the losses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks for that, they're reduced in tesco at the mo and I stocked up before checking.

Just had a lovely free breakfast, egg and banana pancakes with lemon juice and canderel on top. My 19 month old loved them is well, had to shovel them in to me before she polished off mine too!

Hey ncmc. I absolutely love banana pancakes and was going to make them one morning but some evil little voice in the back of my head reminded me that someone, sometime had said that any fruit that has been blended or cooked has to be synned so each banana is five. I don't want to make you feel bad seeing as you enjoyed your brekkie, I was going to make them myself during the week, but might be worth checking out. Do you attend class? If do ask your leader. I'm doing SW online so I'll start a live chat when I get a moment and find out for you and report back.

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    Hey ncmc. I absolutely love banana pancakes and was going to make them one morning but some evil little voice in the back of my head reminded me that someone, sometime had said that any fruit that has been blended or cooked has to be synned so each banana is five. I don't want to make you feel bad seeing as you enjoyed your brekkie, I was going to make them myself during the week, but might be worth checking out. Do you attend class? If do ask your leader. I'm doing SW online so I'll start a live chat when I get a moment and find out for you and report back.

I thought it was 4 syns for a cooked or blended/mashed banana, but yeah the pancakes would be seen as a 'tweak' so I'd definitely be counting a few syns. They are delicious though! When I first started I used to make those pancakes with a cooked breakfast because I was incapable of frying an egg! So I was serving one tiny pancake per person and didn't bother synning. Probably would've been around half a syn per pancake if I'd worked it out.
    I'd say it would be grand to have them occasionally without synning but I would add some speed fruit to the brekkie too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement