Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Down 2 first week despite having lunch out 3 days which never happens, shared a desert all 3 days and had only main course and desert. A tiny bit disappointed I didn't drop more in the first week as I would have in the past but so glad I got back the motivation to begin again. 16 more lbs to go but feels good to be started and the pounds reduced by 2 good luck to all for the coming week, keep on sharing and motivation each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Down 2 first week despite having lunch out 3 days which never happens, shared a desert all 3 days and had only main course and desert. A tiny bit disappointed I didn't drop more in the first week as I would have in the past but so glad I got back the motivation to begin again. 16 more lbs to go but feels good to be started and the pounds reduced by 2 good luck to all for the coming week, keep on sharing and motivation each other.

Don't be disappointed! You managed to eat out three times and still lose!

Congrats Merkin.

Having my first WI after joining on Wednesday evening. Been following it to a T, hoping for maybe a 3lb loss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Ky Abu wrote:
    They are relatively low on Syns 1 or 1.5 so I believe. Having options for food with a variety of flavour's is key On Slimming world myself since November 24th 2015, and hoping to hit my 1 Stone award next Tuesday

Oh I'm definitely in favour of lots of flavour! I've taken to just having loads of different herbs and spices in stock and mixing up different flavours for different things, what I was saying was that I didn't realise they had syns in them at the start, things like that I didn't even put in my food diary and I wasn't getting the losses me or my slimming world thought I deserved. It's the small things that add up so I was just putting it out there in case somebody else didn't realise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Well took the plunge and decided to make my first full SW meal for family dinner. Make SW nacho wedge feast and it actually wasn't too bad at all. Mr glitz devoured it even one of the kids liked it .. The other is like me hates change ! :pac:

Going back to group on Tuesday so want to try get comfortable making new meals before then !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Well took the plunge and decided to make my first full SW meal for family dinner. Make SW nacho wedge feast and it actually wasn't too bad at all. Mr glitz devoured it even one of the kids liked it .. The other is like me hates change ! :pac:

Going back to group on Tuesday so want to try get comfortable making new meals before then !

You could always make SW versions of what you'd normally make? That's what I do anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

tk123 wrote: »
    You could always make SW versions of what you'd normally make? That's what I do anyways!

That's what's I'm trying to do ! Just so used to making stuff a certain way so it's like learning to cook all over again. :eek: but I will make out my shopping list and my meal plan for the week ahead ! Would love to lose a stone by the end of February or a dress size :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I weighed in earlier in the week and was down 5lb after a week of super speed. Hopefully I will meet my original target weight before the end of January. Even at my target weight I would still prefer to be down another 1.5/2 stone. I assume it is easy to change your target weight at W/I? I meant to ask this week but my class was jammed with new members and the check in lady was seriously frazzled so I didn't want to bother her.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Yeah you can change your target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 pinkdiamond2

Hi guys,

I have been doing slimming world for the last week and I have to stuck to plan all the way. I have managed to put on a lb and I have no idea how? Has this happened to anyone else would being in your time of the month have any differencentre? I'm also sick so on antibiotics and steroids not sure if that would make any difference.

A bit disheartened after sticking to it all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi guys,

I have been doing slimming world for the last week and I have to stuck to plan all the way. I have managed to put on a lb and I have no idea how? Has this happened to anyone else would being in your time of the month have any differencentre? I'm also sick so on antibiotics and steroids not sure if that would make any difference.

A bit disheartened after sticking to it all week.

Stick with it and the results should show once you've finished with medication.
    Steroids can cause water retention which is why many people put up weight when they're taking them. They also increase your appetite sometimes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you stick to the plan!
    Most women find their weight loss varies according to what week of the month it is - I would have found it hard to lose weight the week I ovulated and easier the week of my actual period, while others suffer with bloating and water retention during their period therefore always having a maintain or small gain that week. It all balances out from month to month anyway.
    Re antibiotics I've heard my neighbour say his cattle gain weight when they're on antibiotics so I guess it happens with people too!
    You're on a triple-whammy of weight loss inhibitors so don't lose heart, just keep plugging away and you will see results once your body settles back.
    Diuretics like fennel and garlic should help with the water retention, as well as drinking plenty of water :)

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    Stick with it and the results should show once you've finished with medication.
    Steroids can cause water retention which is why many people put up weight when they're taking them. They also increase your appetite sometimes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you stick to the plan!
    Most women find their weight loss varies according to what week of the month it is - I would have found it hard to lose weight the week I ovulated and easier the week of my actual period, while others suffer with bloating and water retention during their period therefore always having a maintain or small gain that week. It all balances out from month to month anyway.
    Re antibiotics I've heard my neighbour say his cattle gain weight when they're on antibiotics so I guess it happens with people too!
    You're on a triple-whammy of weight loss inhibitors so don't lose heart, just keep plugging away and you will see results once your body settles back.
    Diuretics like fennel and garlic should help with the water retention, as well as drinking plenty of water :)

I have found myself very hungry with the steroids but I've been eating all to plan :) I'll be off the medication in 2 days so hopefully next week will be a better week in the scales. Thanks for the advise :)

Are you eating your syns and having speed fruit and veg?

Are you eating your syns and having speed fruit and veg?

I used all of my syns 2 days and the rest I used 6 or 7 syns. I try to get as much speed into each meal and use speed for snacks too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Pink diamond it would most likely have an affect for sure. Meds can certainly hinder weight loss, so if you know you have been on plan I'm sure your weight loss will catch up.

I would just keep a note what week you have your period and sometimes it can be hard to lose that we know so if you keep a track over a few weeks it will probable even out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just to confirm that antibiotics do indeed slow down weight loss. There's plenty of research out there

However the most important thing to do is get healthy as that will help your weight loss tremendously

Stick to eating the right foods and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Since I've joined SW when I've been on antibiotics or anti-inflammatories I haven't had a weight loss that week but stick with it as you'll get past that. I'm also on long term medication for high blood pressure but I'm hoping to reduce that as the weight comes off.

My SW Sunday roast is so lacklustre compared to all the Christmas extravagances we enjoyed. I think I'll start doing the Mallon's sausage stuffing with it each week to pump it up a bit. Its the lack of sauce that really hits me :(

My wife makes a great syn free gravy. Or are you looking for another type of sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Dodge can you post the gravy recipe? Had a roast chicken today and it was beyond dry without gravy.

Yeah that gravy recipe would be nice Dodge, thank you. In general, I am just a huge sauce fiend. I always find myself using my syns for sweet chili, mayo, mustards etc :o

• Advertisement

Yeah that gravy recipe would be nice Dodge, thank you. In general, I am just a huge sauce fiend. I always find myself using my syns for sweet chili, mayo, mustards etc :o

I'm the same. That's what they're there for :)

She says;

2 X chicken oxo
    1 chicken stockpot
    Teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 table spoons of Smash to thicken

Swap beef oxo/stockpot if that's what you're eating etc. The smash is a tweak apparently but I don't mind that

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Hi folks, I'm brand new to SW and jeez there's a lot of reading!! I'm finding it hard to figure out syns (which I've already gone over in my first day 😭) what would be in a coffee, dash of full fat milk and 1.5 spoons of sugar? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

horsefarm wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm brand new to SW and jeez there's a lot of reading!! I'm finding it hard to figure out syns (which I've already gone over in my first day 😭) what would be in a coffee, dash of full fat milk and 1.5 spoons of sugar? Thanks :)

1.5 level teaspoons of sugar is 1.5 syns - a rounded teaspoon of sugar is double, and a heaped teaspoon is even more, so do watch that!
    I think 100ml of full fat milk is 3.5 syns so a dash of milk would probably be between 1/2 and 1 syn - it all depends on how much you use! It'd be well worth measuring the next time you're making a cup, as if you drink a few coffees per day it could add up to a fair few syns.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

dee_mc wrote: »
    1.5 level teaspoons of sugar is 1.5 syns - a rounded teaspoon of sugar is double, and a heaped teaspoon is even more, so do watch that!
    I think 100ml of full fat milk is 3.5 syns so a dash of milk would probably be between 1/2 and 1 syn - it all depends on how much you use! It'd be well worth measuring the next time you're making a cup, as if you drink a few coffees per day it could add up to a fair few syns.

Gulp
    They are most definitely heaped spoons. Thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Gulp

Switch to sweetener if you drink lots of coffee, and skimmed milk that you can have 350mls of as your healthy A. that way there's no syns used for your coffees :)

Gulp

Are you not using milk for your healthy extra? You get more skimmed milk so you should switch to that so you get a lot more to use. Same with your sugar. Switch to sweetener. All these are better choices and will help you use the plan better. That way you have more syns to use on treats etc.
    Coffee is free and if you use milk out of your healthy b allowance along with sweetener then it would be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm new too since last week! I presume there's no problem with not eating your healthy a/b choices? I'm not a massive bread eater and don't drink milk and cheese is my massive downfall... I'd eat a block as soon as id eat a slice!

cyning wrote: »
    I'm new too since last week! I presume there's no problem with not eating your healthy a/b choices? I'm not a massive bread eater and don't drink milk and cheese is my massive downfall... I'd eat a block as soon as id eat a slice!

No, no real problem. They are 'options'. Just a way of getting fibre and calcium in. I never used to eat cheese but eat a bit now (feta is great for a salad without a dressing). I rarely have a day when I eat both to full allowance

BTW lost 4 lbs today. Biggest loss in months. Continue to lower my lowest ever adult weight

cyning wrote: »

But there are so many other options apart from bread. You can have cereal, cereal bars, dried fruit etc. There are loads of options.
    I only have milk in my tea or cereal. I don't eat cheese either but you really need to be getting your daily allowance of fibre and calcium for a balanced diet and for your health.

Look in your book for all your options.

• Advertisement

I almost always use milk as my HexA. I can't recall a day recently where I didn't. I measure it out in a bottle every morning and have it as I go along; drop in tea/coffee, covering my porridge etc. If I wasn't going to use milk I'd use the cheese to enhance one of my main meals, like for a toastie or on top of beans/baked potato etc. I don't think I've ever had a problem using my HexB :V Bread, cereal, porridge! There's loads of options for B.

I think it does take a few weeks to get used to the plan but using your Healthy Extras helps to keep things interesting. For my dinner tonight I used my Hex A and B to have a toasted special while my OH had pizza sticks. A bit of a dud night for dinner but I managed to keep on plan thanks to the Healthy Extras.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement