Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Millem wrote: »
    Down 2.5lbs so 20lbs in 8 weeks :D thrilled!

Well done. That doesn't happen without work and effort. Your right to be thrilled with yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Wow Millem that is some achievement, you must be over the moon that is some achievement and goes to show it can be done!

Do you exercise? I have tried Motivation, Unislim and Weightwatchers, lost the weight but didn't continue with maintenance so it piled on again always around a stone, I started Sunday with some clean eating and living and feeling the better for it, I was going to try SW but a lady who was to join my local group here told me that you are expected to wait for the discussion at every WI, is that true, sometimes people are rushing and do not have the time to wait around, I understand that staying for the talk would be an opportunity to listen and learn from others and get some hope and inspiration and motivation too.
    Still undecided as to where is the best place to go there is so much choice out there

Happy Women's Xmas to all X

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Wow Millem that is some achievement, you must be over the moon that is some achievement and goes to show it can be done!

Do you exercise? I have tried Motivation, Unislim and Weightwatchers, lost the weight but didn't continue with maintenance so it piled on again always around a stone, I started Sunday with some clean eating and living and feeling the better for it, I was going to try SW but a lady who was to join my local group here told me that you are expected to wait for the discussion at every WI, is that true, sometimes people are rushing and do not have the time to wait around, I understand that staying for the talk would be an opportunity to listen and learn from others and get some hope and inspiration and motivation too.
    Still undecided as to where is the best place to go there is so much choice out there

Happy Women's Xmas to all X

No I don't exercise tbh I have no time too as have a toddler and an OH who works long hours and sometimes has to travel. My job is fairly active though and am contanstly on my feet. I don't stay for my meetings either. I stayed the first week and that was it.

That is interesting I always thought one would have to combine exercise, healthy eating and drinking lots of water.

Sounds like you lost an average of 2.5 lbs a week that is amazing, continued success, its a great feeling, looking forward to getting that back in the near future!

That is interesting I always thought one would have to combine exercise, healthy eating and drinking lots of water.

Sounds like you lost an average of 2.5 lbs a week that is amazing, continued success, its a great feeling, looking forward to getting that back in the near future!

I am just eating better and watching portion control. Tbh some days I don't get to sit down till 6pm as work very busy on feet all day teaching cookery classes then coming home to toddler! No crisps, no chocolate, no scones and no tasting in work ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

-2lb this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

i have another silly question.
    have most of you who have had great weight losses cut out the majority of bad stuff from your diet? do you ever treat yourself to chocloate or beer or something? i was doing really well all week, didnt have any choc, fried food, carbs but just had a kinder egg with some tea and i already feel dirty :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

gercoral wrote: »
    have most of you who have had great weight losses cut out the majority of bad stuff from your diet? do you ever treat yourself to chocloate or beer or something? i was doing really well all week, didnt have any choc, fried food, carbs but just had a kinder egg with some tea and i already feel dirty :(

The whole point of SW is not to be afraid of food :) Syns are there for you to "spend" on a little of what you fancy, whether that's chocolate or cheese or whatever. Don't feel dirty because you had some chocolate, that's no way to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well I has the dreaded Christmas and new year weigh in. Was up 4 lbs but totally deserved and that was in 2 weeks. Just going to get stuck in now. Already have the soup on. Would love to be down 2 lbs next week.

Gercoral I would have a treat everyday without fail. I couldn't go a day without a treat with my cuppa etc. That's what you have your syns for. For nice things you want each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Went in, joined, weighed in. They had a free raffle on and I won so I got two free classes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

A Kinder egg is only 6 syns, you could've had two of them and a small vodka or whiskey and still be within your day's syns!
    Deprivation doesn't work, little daily treats along with a well balanced, filling diet works though, and that's what SW is about.
    One of the ladies in my group lost something mad like 8 stone and she ate 3 Cadbury snack bars, the purple one, every. single. day. As in, she'd eat the third one even if she didn't want it, because she found the few times that she didn't use her full 15 syns per day, she didn't lose the weight that week. I wouldn't go to those extremes but I would encourage members to use their syns, 5-15 a day, enjoy them and don't feel one second of guilt. It's the third step of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

thanks everyone!!! feeling much better now!! :)

I cut out choc and crisps because I have no self control. I could of eaten 4 packs of crisps in 1 day before :eek: I wasn't that big but would substitute proper good for junk.

I had a curly wurly over Christmas but found myself wanted another one straight away so am not buying them anymore. From my little research at the start of slimming world I found curly wurlys and Pom pom bear crisps the best syn wise! Again I would want to 3 bags of Pom pom bears in one go so am not even eating one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Haven't posted since early December and I missed most of December's classes :eek: work hours changed and kids were sick over Christmas :o I was so busy I litterly blinked and December was over! :(

Anyway txt consultant and am going back on Tuesday and rejoining. :) have communions and weddings this year so would love to feel better about myself :)

Making out my meal plans and just wondering does the brand matter for ingredients? I'm looking at tomato puree etc and wondering if dif brands have dif syn values ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Haven't posted since early December and I missed most of December's classes :eek: work hours changed and kids were sick over Christmas :o I was so busy I litterly blinked and December was over! :(

Anyway txt consultant and am going back on Tuesday and rejoining. :) have communions and weddings this year so would love to feel better about myself :)

Making out my meal plans and just wondering does the brand matter for ingredients? I'm looking at tomato puree etc and wondering if dif brands have dif syn values ?

Most tomato purees are fine, you just need to check the ingredients to make sure there's no oil in it. :)

Most tomato purees are fine, you just need to check the ingredients to make sure there's no oil in it. :)

Thank you. :) Its a huge change for me as I only eat the same foods not very experimental with my food but from what I've heard in group the only way to make it work is to throw yourself into it. So I seen a few recipes that I normally wouldn't touch but am taking the plunge ! ;)

Do you stand on the scales every morning or do you weigh yourself before WI, I used to stand on scales every day but found that it could fluctuate so I would always weigh myself before WI but decided since I started from myself before WI in 2016 not to stand on scales every day I weighed myself 3 days ago and it gave me the kick I needed to get back on track, feeling much better since I did and would love to be down at least 2lb this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Do you stand on the scales every morning or do you weigh yourself before WI, I used to stand on scales every day but found that it could fluctuate so I would always weigh myself before WI but decided since I started from myself before WI in 2016 not to stand on scales every day I weighed myself 3 days ago and it gave me the kick I needed to get back on track, feeling much better since I did and would love to be down at least 2lb this week!

My biggest piece of advice for anyone joining slimming world...........
    Throw your scales out the window!

I stand on the scales every morning actually if I'm being honest probably a few times a day. I've developed a seriously unhealthy and dependant relationship with food :( I need to get out of this habit. Am even considering asking Mr glitz to hide the scales on me. He did it once before (at my request ) and I got so anxious and agitated he gave it back :eek:

Wellyd wrote: »

Snap ! Haha don't know if I'm there yet but I will try avoid them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

My favourite Slimming World scales story is of a lady who got so sick of being a slave to hers that she chucked it on the barbecue :D

dee_mc wrote: »
    My favourite Slimming World scales story is of a lady who got so sick of being a slave to hers that she chucked it on the barbecue :D

Haha sounds like a great bbq to be at ! Or a scene from a movie with a fed up desperate housewife :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Wellyd wrote: »

Just quoting this so it isn't missed. Body weight fluctuates hourly. It will kill you to keep checking

You're paying someone to weigh you once a week (hopefully at the same time). Anything more than that has too many variables and not a true reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Dodge wrote: »
    Just quoting this so it isn't missed. Body weight fluctuates hourly. It will kill you to keep checking

You're paying someone to weigh you once a week (hopefully at the same time). Anything more than that has too many variables and not a true reading

This is 100% why I get weighed once a week at slimming world. I think if I stood on the scales daily that I'd completely sabotage myself! I've stood on a weighing scales once at home since I joined slimming world and that was to try to figure out how much my suitcase weighed before I went on holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

m'lady wrote: »
    Trying to get back on track from today.. I have been lucky that I lost the week before and after Xmas, don't know how as I wasn't an angel but didn't go crazy I guess! I have been out of routine in regards to meals and exercise so want to improve from today.

I got a fitbit off my other half as part of my Christmas pressie, I love it! Did anyone else get one or already have one?
    Good luck to anyone weighing in or joining this week!

I have a Fitbit since Sep 2014 and just love it! You can drop me a PM if you want to become friends on Fitbit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I go through phases of loving the fit bit and then forgetting to charge it lol! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I am being good during the day (lots of fruit, water, trying to stick to soups and salad and whatever SW meal my lovely mum cooks in the evening, usually followed by a mullerlight to feel "full" after) but since I have given up the drink I am finding it difficult to get off to sleep and especially because I am studying 8-11 at night and feeling in need of a treat, I have two slices of toasted brown bread with butter and a mug of tea for supper. I find the carbs just help with sleep for some reason! Am I sabotaging myself doing this? Started Monday and was down 1lb yesterday but back to the same this morning :(

Also is it possible to eat too much fruit? I am trying to fill up on fruit during the day but maybe overdoing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

According to media reports black pudding is a super food, are there any low or no syn versions out there..........i rather, rather enjoy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

6lb off woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Do people find that their food bills have gone up or down since starting SW? We did a €80 shop in Aldi yesterday and I need to go to Tesco to pick up a few bits that we couldn’t get in Aldi, so that will probably be another €30. Previously a €60 shop would easily do us a week! But I suppose there was some store items like herbs and spices and it will probably balance out over time as we won’t be getting weekend takeaways etc. But eating homemade, fresh food with lots of meat can be more expensive than a diet of cheap processed food which is a shame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement