Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Boolean

Amazing Claude :-). Inspiration right there. Does anyone have suggestions for easy make in advance & freeze dinners? I have 2 children and would love to get dinners all organised at the weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Hi all I'm just starting today. I think I must be thick as I find it all very confusing. I'm hoping the girl will help me draft a menu for week 1 then I can start to vary it once I get more confident.

I guess I just don't know how much I can eat and when she says pasta and rice are free, I assume you can't sit and eat them all day. At the moment I'm stressed so food is my reward. I'm already worrying where my next meal is coming from (even though I feel full). Any ideas how to get past this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Boolean

Lol Cara May you are not alone. I'm finding it confusing too and feel like this whole SW thing could be summed up by the magic formula that we all know already - eat more fruit/veg, eat less junk and alcohol. Nutshell :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

CaraMay wrote: »
    Hi all I'm just starting today. I think I must be thick as I find it all very confusing. I'm hoping the girl will help me draft a menu for week 1 then I can start to vary it once I get more confident.

I guess I just don't know how much I can eat and when she says pasta and rice are free, I assume you can't sit and eat them all day. At the moment I'm stressed so food is my reward. I'm already worrying where my next meal is coming from (even though I feel full). Any ideas how to get past this?

There are loads of great recipe ideas on the website and online in general that will help give you plenty of ideas for meals. I also continued using some of my own recipes but just changed them up a little to make them slimming world friendly. Being prepared is the key to success. Maybe making up some meals in advance would help you not to worry so much. I usually make up a big pot of spag bol or something once a week, that is 4 dinners, ready whenever need them. I for one have plenty of pasta and rice, I haven't even really changed portion sizes, the only thing I am doing differently is eating my one third speed. Don't worry about how much you are eating, your body will tell you when you have had enough. I usually eat my speed first, then protein and then my carbs. Sometimes I am too full to finish my carbs other times I'm not. Either way I lose so it doesn't matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I'm not so worried about the recipes, it's about the carbs really eg pasta at lunch ànd rice at dinner. I don't know how much to have when they are both free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I'm not so worried about the recipes, it's about the carbs really eg pasta at lunch ànd rice at dinner. I don't know how much to have when they are both free

Lets face it, after a few weigh ins you'll know !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Easiest is to go by the 1/3 speed food/protein/carb rule. So as much pasta as you like, as long as you can also eat the equivalent amount of protein and veg. You'll find it's naturally self limiting that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Runner Mojo

Just stumbled on this - pasta and rice are what you guys call "free"?
    Man, that's serious.
    Pasta is made from wheat - my missus started all that anti gluten (anti wheat) malarky and I kept scoffing at it but when I tried it I found my bloat went down a ton! I also quite sugar and bread - book - 2kg lost in just over 3 weeks.

I also previously tried the 2 day diet which not only helped start me off on my weight loss with a half stone dropped in 2 weeks, but it made me realize that a lot of the time I was eating out of boredom or some other emotional reasons (which is also borne out by the stories shared on those Fat- A Year to Save My Life type programs).

No offence, but all this Slimming World/Weight Watchers stuff is just a way to take money off you every month! Making some permanent lifestyle changes are much more likely to help than waiting around to be told what you can eat and handing over cash to an organization that says pasta and rice are "free" foods. Everyone knows they are high energy foods, so if you plan on eating them you better plan on burning them off too!

Man, that's serious.
    Pasta is made from wheat - my missus started all that anti gluten (anti wheat) malarky and I kept scoffing at it but when I tried it I found my bloat went down a ton! I also quit sugar and bread - lost 2kg in just over 3 weeks.

I also previously tried the 2 day diet which not only helped start me off on my weight loss with a half stone dropped in 2 weeks, but it made me realize that a lot of the time I was eating out of boredom or some other emotional reasons (which is also borne out by the stories shared on those Fat- A Year to Save My Life type programs).

No offence, but all this Slimming World/Weight Watchers stuff is just a way to take money off you every month! Making some permanent lifestyle changes are much more likely to help than waiting around to be told what you can eat and handing over cash to an organization that says pasta and rice are "free" foods. Everyone knows they are high energy foods, so if you plan on eating them you better plan on burning them off too!

Man, that's serious.
    Pasta is made from wheat - my missus started all that anti gluten (anti wheat) malarky and I kept scoffing at it but when I tried it I found my bloat went down a ton! I also quit sugar and bread - lost 2kg in just over 3 weeks.

Don't hurt yourself getting down off your high horse there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

You do realise that this is a Slimming World thread, I have lost over 5 stone following the plan and I did diet before SW following calorie counting and did ok but after finding SW, I wouldn't change a thing, I would happily follow SW for the rest of my days, the door is that way
    >

Welcome to all the new people and well done Claude on a great result, we all differ, some of us can eat carbs to our hearts content and lose weight, some of us (i.e. me) struggle with carbs and seems to hit my losses. Over time, you will know what works and what doesn't work for you and you can tailor the plan to suit your needs.

This thread is great at motivating us and I love reading all the updates! :) I went in to Lifestyle sports to buy a football jersey as I hadn't worn one in over 10 years, I fitted comfortably into a medium, I am aiming to buy it closer to the time (as I am going to a match in mid Sept) and hoping I will fit into a small by then (it was a little tight around the hips). This is exactly why I love Slimming World. This would never have been possible pre SW!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Man, that's serious.

I've lost 2 stone in 14 weeks, and I've done it while enjoying cake, wine, steak and chips. Tell me again how it isn't working? I've done a low carb diet and this is infinitely more enjoyable. Yes, rice and pasta are technically "free", but as I said above, only if you eat the same amount of protein and veg. More power to you if you're going to eat an entire plate of broccoli to go along with your potatoes, but it's probably not too likely.

P.S. Eliminating gluten without any actual medical cause is about as faddy as you can get ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I can't stand the Slimming World bashing from people who haven't tried and don't understand the plan. At the end of the day it's a loosely structured, balanced eating plan that works for the vast majority of people who follow it. Cutting carbs works in the short term but isn't sustainable in the long term for most people. Balancing your carbs with the rest of your diet does work, it's working for me (almost 4.5 stone down and counting) and I can't think of a single good reason to stop eating the way I do right now.
    I bought a few jumpers this week (didn't expect to need them so soon, Summer me bum ;) ) and it was so nice not to be crossing my fingers and sucking in my gut in the hope of fitting into an XL - such a nice feeling to just pick up a size S and know it will fit :)
    Looking forward to tomorrow's taster day, hoping to pick up a few recipe ideas and to see what's working for other people :)

As long as your are having at least a third of your plate filled with speed, eat as much as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Boolean wrote: »
    Amazing Claude :-). Inspiration right there. Does anyone have suggestions for easy make in advance & freeze dinners? I have 2 children and would love to get dinners all organised at the weekend

Try chicken jambalaya or bolognese mix ready to go over pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Man, that's serious.
    Pasta is made from wheat - my missus started all that anti gluten (anti wheat) malarky and I kept scoffing at it but when I tried it I found my bloat went down a ton! I also quite sugar and bread - book - 2kg lost in just over 3 weeks.

Runner mojo

Very unhelpful post. I've lost 40 pounds in this diet which is 10 times what you've lost. So you're telling me I'm doing something wrong??!! Ive also many times lost much more than 2 kg in 3 weeks!!! So well done but if you've got alot of weight to loose then your plan will
    not stand the test of time. If you want to loose serious amounts of weight then your eating regime needs to be sustainable ...ie ......you need to be able to keep the diet going for months and months. So it's simply not possible to eliminate all carbs otherwise you would end up just collapsing after a week and crashing out of the diet and regaining it all. Slow and steady wins the race. Slow release carbs in moderation are part of a healthy diet.

Also just to point out..... You said you gave up sugar aswell, maybe it was the sugar deficit that helped you loose the 2 kg?

Please only post here if you something encouraging to say, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Boolean wrote: »
    Lol Cara May you are not alone. I'm finding it confusing too and feel like this whole SW thing could be summed up by the magic formula that we all know already - eat more fruit/veg, eat less junk and alcohol. Nutshell :-)

That's basically what it is. It's providing a framework for healthy eating. Your healthy extras ensure you get calcium and fibre. The fruit, veg, proteins and carbs look after the rest.

The issue is that people in SW (and I'm one - down over 4 stone) have shown that we need that framework because of various reasons

The poster above who claims that SW is designed to make money is spot on. It's a business. But it's a very successful business because it's been proven to work for people

No one is forcing anyone to go to SW, but I've found the group sessions to be fun and informative so I definitely get my money's worth

As for the newcomers here, my only advice is; DON'T OVERTHINK IT!

Make sure 1/3rd of your meals are the designated speed foods (most fruit & veg) and you can eat as much pasta, rice, potatoes as you like. You'll find you get into a rhythm and your portion sizes will come down as a result of your weight loss

Best of luck to all. Don't let eejits on the internet discourage you from eating good, nutritious food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Well after the wedding and hangover day I managed to maintain my weight. Very relieved :) Now into a new week and I'm going back to basics. Food diary, rechecking syn values of every thing etc. Good luck to all in the week ahead :)

Dodge wrote: »
    That's basically what it is. It's providing a framework for healthy eating. Your healthy extras ensure you get calcium and fibre. The fruit, veg, proteins and carbs look after the rest.

The issue is that people in SW (and I'm one - down over 4 stone) have shown that we need that framework because of various reasons

The poster above who claims that SW is designed to make money is spot on. It's a business. But it's a very successful business because it's been proven to work for people

No one is forcing anyone to go to SW, but I've found the group sessions to be fun and informative so I definitely get my money's worth

As for the newcomers here, my only advice is; DON'T OVERTHINK IT!

Make sure 1/3rd of your meals are the designated speed foods (most fruit & veg) and you can eat as much pasta, rice, potatoes as you like. You'll find you get into a rhythm and your portion sizes will come down as a result of your weight loss

Best of luck to all. Don't let eejits on the internet discourage you from eating good, nutritious food

So you look a little different since the last time i was talking to you;)

I agree with all you've said above and i'm only on week two. I just have to do it just slightly different as i'm diabetic and somethings like rice spike my bloods but i know that and use bulgar wheat as an alternative !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Man, that's serious.

I'd suggest you actually look into the method behind SW.

I'll be the very first to say that it is NOT the most nutritionally balanced, as they advocate a very low fat diet, which I despise. So, I use my syns for good fats.

With regards to the carb aspect - read up a bit. They're 'free' ONLY if you eat them as no more than 1/3 of your meal. You have to match the amount you eat with veg and lean protein. So no, you don't sit there and wolf down a massive bowl of pasta with cheese. You use some pasta, along with lots of veggies and chicken and make a tomato sauce from passata.

So yeah. You don't actually eat much in the way of carbs if you follow the plan correctly.

As for throwing money away - I've had to leave SW because my hours in work have been reduced. However, I'm still following the plan, still losing weight, still keeping it all off, and not paying a cent anymore.

Edit to add - I lost nearly 4kg in my first week, followed by 2.5kg in my second week. So stick to the faddy gluten free diet and I'll stick with my way. I'm 25lbs down in 9 weeks, so I think I'll follow what works for me.

• Advertisement

After a few weeks, you'll be flying. The most important thing is to make sure your plate is 1/3 carbs (if you like carbs!), 1/3 speed food and 1/3 protein. So really, your carbs are naturally being limited because you fill up on veg and meat. So don't worry about your portion sizes. Eat your normal sized plate of food, but make sure it's only 1/3 carbs and you'll be doing very well :)

dee_mc wrote: »
    I can't stand the Slimming World bashing from people who haven't tried and don't understand the plan. At the end of the day it's a loosely structured, balanced eating plan that works for the vast majority of people who follow it. Cutting carbs works in the short term but isn't sustainable in the long term for most people. Balancing your carbs with the rest of your diet does work, it's working for me (almost 4.5 stone down and counting) and I can't think of a single good reason to stop eating the way I do right now.
    I bought a few jumpers this week (didn't expect to need them so soon, Summer me bum ;) ) and it was so nice not to be crossing my fingers and sucking in my gut in the hope of fitting into an XL - such a nice feeling to just pick up a size S and know it will fit :)
    Looking forward to tomorrow's taster day, hoping to pick up a few recipe ideas and to see what's working for other people :)

Well, I can't stand closed minds.... but hey - enjoy spending your money to be part of a club that would lose the money if you weren't in it

Well, I can't stand closed minds.... but hey - enjoy spending your money to be part of a club that would lose the money if you weren't in it

Says the guy eating a gluten free diet?

Let me guess - are you or your wife buying gluten free bread, gluten free pasta and all that rubbish?

You're aware lots of veg contains carbs too, right? Better throw out the chickpeas, carrots and parsnips now before the massive carb intake bloats you!

If you don't like the ethos of slimming world, why bother posting here?

If you think it's a fad - grand but so is gluten free unless you're actually coeliac.

How dare you throw peoples' losses back in their face when your own weight loss is far from bloody staggering?

Boys and girls, stop feeding the troll !

Boys and girls, stop feeding the troll !

Specially if you're feeding it carbs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

On another note, my upper arms are hideous and I need to buy size 12 tops (yay!), Penneys seem to do all their tops too short on the sleeve length and the tops I used to buy in M&S are no longer available :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Well, I can't stand closed minds....

Mega LOLZ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

2 pounds off, so got my 4 and a half stone award! Delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Hi all, I'm back after my 3.5 week hols. Weighed in last night and was up 5lbs!!!!!! Not shocked to be honest, ate very well on plan but most nights involved having a few drinks..... Plus had weigh in after travelling all the previous day, just feel so bloated, but back on track fully now. Still down 3st 1lb.

• Advertisement

2013Lara wrote: »
    Well after the wedding and hangover day I managed to maintain my weight. Very relieved :) Now into a new week and I'm going back to basics. Food diary, rechecking syn values of every thing etc. Good luck to all in the week ahead :)

I had a wedding over the weekend too, fingers crossed I will maintain as well!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement