Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

Konata wrote: »
    Hi! I don't do SW but like to read these threads for motivation etc. since whatever programme you're following, we all have the same goal at the end of the day! So I don't have any SW specific tips for you but I have one major suggestion that came to me when I read your last sentence there and which I think is super important:

Do not focus on the 5 stone you need to lose.

I've lost over 5 stone so far so I know where you're coming from and sometimes it seems insurmountable. If you constantly think about the "5 whole stone" you need to lose it can be very de-motivating. So what you should do is break it down into smaller goals. Start off by aiming for a half a stone loss. 7 lbs. You can do that in no time at all (especially when starting your journey!). Have a reward planned for when you hit that first goal (preferably something totally unrelated to food like buying yourself a new game/book/gadget/purse/whatever or planning a day trip somewhere or whatever floats your boat). Once you've achieved a 7lb loss (or whatever amount you decide), don't think "right, 4.5 stone still to go" just move straight on to the next 7lb goal and focus on your next reward.

This is of course a lot easier said than done but I think most people will agree that it's a lot easier to focus on smaller increments than the big picture!

The other thing you should do is take pictures and measurements straight away. I know that's hard cause I certainly did not want any reminders of how big I'd gotten when I started but the scale is not the only (or best!) indicator of progress. I often read people on here and other forums etc. who drop dress sizes (i.e. lose inches) without the scale budging much. It's good to have several measures of progress so you can see how far you've come :)

Best of luck and make sure you check in here plenty - for the good and the bad! Sometimes I feel stupid writing out my struggles and feel like no one wants to read that crap but it does give me the kick up the arse I need sometimes. Weight loss is not a straightforward journey and there will be many ups and downs - you just have to learn to accept that and make sure you keep moving upwards.

Best of luck! Hope to see you achieving your first goal very soon :D

thank you so much for such a lovely and inspirational message! it has made me feel much more hopeful of achieving my target!

i really really appreciate all your kind words!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

4 weeks 8 pounds. Happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Down 3.5 this week. That's 6 in two weeks. I've basically started road biking as well as sw and it's quite frankly with the two combined, stripping me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ginger_Nut

Well done MugMugs!
    Not having the best week for my first week. Had two lunches out and there wasn't a great choice so def used all my syns and more both days. I was very good for breakfast and dinner and snacked on fruit. Plums are delicious at the moment, even if they do sick in your teeth.
    Went to a circuits exercise class too and my muscles are in agony! went for a swim and a jacuzzi to ease it and it still feels like it's getting worse! Climbing the stairs is so painful. Anyways the first exercise class is always the worst so hopefully by next week i'll be in the swing of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

So after alot(and i mean a lot) of setbacks, I've finally got my 1st stone award...delighted!! I've another 2/3 to go but this has given me the motivation (kick up the arse) I needed!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Not a good week to start SW when you're starting your period. I have VERY irregular periods, so this is my first one in two months and all i want is FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. I'm trying to make healthy choices but I just want anything, all the time! bloody hormones.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Hi
    Can I ask is Philadelphia extra light and red pesto free on slimming world?
    Also if I'm craving chocolate and crisps any suggestions??
    Is it just brown pasta and rice sun free or both??
    Thanks
    I'm in two minds deciding between SW or WW new program!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

izzy24 wrote: »
    Hi
    Can I ask is Philadelphia extra light and red pesto free on slimming world?
    Also if I'm craving chocolate and crisps any suggestions??
    Is it just brown pasta and rice sun free or both??
    Thanks
    I'm in two minds deciding between SW or WW new program!!!!

You can have philadelphia extra light (1 syn for a triangle), not sure about the red pesto, I would need to see the label to know the syn value as each brand would probably be different.

There are loads of crisps which are under 10 syns (eg snax are only 5) and we are allowed 15 per day. Same for chocolate. I just polished off a choc rice crispie bar from lidl for 4 syns and about to have another. Really chocolaty. Freddo bars and curly worlys are a favourite with a lot of sw members.

All rice (unless it has other stuff added) and dried pasta are free. Only the pasta that has syns is the fresh pasta which is coated in oil or flour which stops it sticking.

So you can still have your chocolate and lose weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

How can you tell the syn value by looking at the label? Is there a formula? This would make life so much easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ansmcwilla

Hi guys,

Just getting into it now.

Don't think I have lost this week will know Thursday lol. Going away for two nights with my partner and daughter so hoping I won't be eating hidden syns when eating out.

I juice every day and usually juice beetroot spinach one piece of fruit celery cucumber and ginger.

Can anyone tell me what would the syn value be in home made juices? They are vegetable based. To be honest I don't really care that there are syns in it as I don't drink coffee and find this has so much goodness in it to give me the energy I need! I just need to know roughly so I don't over indulge in other syns!!!

Can anyone help please?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

Hi all. I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've moved out of my mum's house and have obviously started cooking for myself but I've managed to put on so much weight eating absolute crap food it's not even funny. I literally cried for an hour today I was so depressed when I saw myself in the mirror. I need help and fast to get on the track to being an ideal weight for my height I'm looking to lose 4 stone. There is a slimming world class near me and I'm hoping they can give me the encouragement I need to kick myself into healthy weight loss. I am really unfit but I have started jogging to incorporeal exercise into my daily routine.

So is slimming world worth my while? Do people have any success stories that will make me feel a little better?  thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ansmcwilla

loubian wrote: »
    Not a good week to start SW when you're starting your period. I have VERY irregular periods, so this is my first one in two months and all i want is FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. I'm trying to make healthy choices but I just want anything, all the time! bloody hormones.

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

saw this this morning and liked it :)SW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I've been doing SW for over 1.5 years now and lost just over 1.5 stone at target but find it can be tougher to maintain than to lose at the beginning just wondering if there are any other target members out there. Whilst SW saved me and changed my way of eating sometimes after being on it for so long I get complacent with the plan. A few of my gripes with it are these

Seemingly healthy foods that are chocca with syns ie nuts, anything wholegrain, seeds, granola, olive oil, avocado, polenta, popcorn I used to eat lots of this but now feel guilty eating them.
    Juices no more homemade juices or smoothies :(
    Yogurts and other things that say fat free but aren't syn free
    Pasta is free but not the homemade pasta in restaurants or stuffed pasta ie ravoli, gnocci
    Have to be careful with tweaking snacking on free foods and diguising them as something else ie chickpeas as oven baked nuts, pasta pieces cooked and baked as tortilla chips
    Sometimes I find it's all about meat and fish I dont do the vege plan as I do eat meat but not a lot I only eat chicken, beef and ham and hate fish so can be limited with meals but I substitute with vege stuff and using quorn now which isn't bad and good source of protein.
    I wish you could build up your syns by exercise from what I rem in WW old plan you could earn points by exercise.

Rant over but have to say I am defo more wary of syns and the value of stuff, I eat more fruit and veg and try and cook more so that has to be a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭schadenfreude8

miss choc wrote: »
    I've been doing SW for over 1.5 years now and lost just over 1.5 stone at target but find it can be tougher to maintain than to lose at the beginning just wondering if there are any other target members out there. Whilst SW saved me and changed my way of eating sometimes after being on it for so long I get complacent with the plan. A few of my gripes with it are these

Seemingly healthy foods that are chocca with syns ie nuts, anything wholegrain, seeds, granola, olive oil, avocado, polenta, popcorn I used to eat lots of this but now feel guilty eating them.
    Pasta is free but not the homemade pasta in restaurants or stuffed pasta ie ravoli, gnocci
    Have to be careful with tweaking snacking on free foods and diguising them as something else ie chickpeas as oven baked nuts, pasta pieces cooked and baked as tortilla chips
    Sometimes I find it's all about meat and fish I dont do the vege plan as I do eat meat but not a lot I only eat chicken, beef and ham and hate fish so can be limited with meals but I substitute with vege stuff and using quorn now which isn't bad and good source of protein.
    I wish you could build up your syns by exercise from what I rem in WW old plan you could earn points by exercise.

Rant over but have to say I am defo more wary of syns and the value of stuff, I eat more fruit and veg and try and cook more so that has to be a good thing :)

i am at target since christmas, an i understand your gripes.
    i think it is harder to maintain... the goal of weightloss is a great motivator.

it is a weightloss plan not a maintanance plan i think.
    you need to introduce foods into your diet that are healthy, eg nuts and monitor your weight, weekly.

well donr by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

martinak89 wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've moved out of my mum's house and have obviously started cooking for myself but I've managed to put on so much weight eating absolute crap food it's not even funny. I literally cried for an hour today I was so depressed when I saw myself in the mirror. I need help and fast to get on the track to being an ideal weight for my height I'm looking to lose 4 stone. There is a slimming world class near me and I'm hoping they can give me the encouragement I need to kick myself into healthy weight loss. I am really unfit but I have started jogging to incorporeal exercise into my daily routine.

So is slimming world worth my while? Do people have any success stories that will make me feel a little better?  thanks!!

Don't feel so downhearted! You seem to know why you have put on the weight, by eating the wrong thing. SW will help you eat lots without harming yourself, and you will meet others in your situation, who can help you.

By recognising the problem, you are already on the way to solving it!

Go for it!

Good luck with the maintaining Miss Choc. I've heard loads of people say maintaining is harder. But you have all the knowledge and skill now so keep an eye on your weight, if you find it creeping back up you know what to do. Easier said than done i'd say.

Well my first week back at Slimming World was a disaster!! I gained 2lbs. I had a really busy week with lots of social engagements and a night out which ended in supermacs!! No will power with drink.
    I did however go to two exercise classes, went swimming twice and went for a walk so I was hoping it might counteract some of the alcohol but no such luck. My leader said I might be retaining fluid from all the exercise. So i'm trying to up the water, I easily drink 2 litres a day anyways plus at least 4/5 cups of tea!!

Anyways I will try harder this week but im heading away for the weekend, booked months ago! Hopefully come septemeber things might calm down a bit so I can give the plan a 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

All fruit and veg are free, so you can juice to your hearts content!! Unless you are adding ready made juices to it you would be adding syns.

Actually once you juice the fruit is no longer free-I'm not sure if it's the same with veggies?
    It's due to he fact you are tearing the cells of the fruit releasing fibre-as well as losing the energy requirement of breaking the fruit down in your body. Only whole fruits are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Had my first weigh in last night and I was down 5lbs.
    Fairly happy with that as I had a crazy busy weekend, had a marquee event to cater for 250 people and another function on Sunday and another today, so I am surrounded by food all day long!! But I am very conscious of picking and tasting foods.
    Looking forward to kids going back to school so I can get out for a walk in the mornings! But as I said before I am 100% committed to this. 4 stone 5lbs to go......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Actually once you juice the fruit is no longer free-I'm not sure if it's the same with veggies?
    It's due to he fact you are tearing the cells of the fruit releasing fibre-as well as losing the energy requirement of breaking the fruit down in your body. Only whole fruits are free.

Did not know that thank you!! I will delete the above comment, don't want to be confusing things. Thank you :o:o

Been really bad this week. Two takeaways and 3 days drinking. Not looking forward to weigh-in tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

miss choc wrote: »

Hi can you tell me how you turn your pasta into tortilla chips and the chicpea as nuts thanks

auldgranny wrote: »
    Been really bad this week. Two takeaways and 3 days drinking. Not looking forward to weigh-in tonight.

Maintained so not as bad as i thought:)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Catxscotch wrote: »

You can do anything you want to veggies, boil, fry, steam, juice or eat them raw.

Fruit cannot be cooked, canned or juiced without becoming syns. Frozen/defrosted berries are ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Went back tonight after being on 2 weeks holidays in the sun!! Was absolutely dreading it as before i went I Just got my 2 and a half stone award, so I was up 7 pounds I was shocked because though it would be alot more.

But after all the crap i ate after the two weeks i actually feel like crap have no energy at all so i am 100% back on plan in the morning and taught i would never say this but I look forward to planning on what meals i decide to have every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

so I am going to give slimming world a go! Hubby wants to join as well! do men go, I know they can in WW

How much is it to join and how do classes go! any advice would be great please

Baby75 wrote: »
    so I am going to give slimming world a go! Hubby wants to join as well! do men go, I know they can in WW

I paid €18 to join and €9 per class. Worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

auldgranny wrote: »
    I paid €18 to join and €9 per class. Worth it imo.

going to start on thursday :)

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »

Yes men definitely go! There's a few men in my class, even the local priest!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement