Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

MugMugs wrote: »
    Or just not join?

I've spent over 500 quid on SW since joining and have no issue with this as it's money well spent in my eyes.

I am healthier and have a better understanding of what foods I should be eating. When the time comes, I'll stop going and use that money to join a gym.

I have no problem paying it's just that it is uniquely more expensive in Ireland for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

mdolly123 wrote: »
    is there one in Ballyjamesduff area or cavan. Not too fussed about SW programme but motivation needed

Castlerahan Community Centre

Castlerahan Community Centre, Castlerahan, Ballyjamesduff,

Tuesdays 5:30pm and 7:30pm
    Your Consultant's name is Gillian
    Telephone 086 368 2507

Taken from their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ansmcwilla

Hey,

New to SW. Am not sure if doing it right :-(

Bfast - porridge with fruit

Lunch - smoked salmon fillet Brazil nuts

Syns - viscount biscuits x3

Din - steak mince, basil, passata, onion, garlic, whole meal spaghetti

Snacks- Apple, banana, slice of whole meal bread with cheese and tomatoe

I'm not sure if the spaghetti is free or not? Don't understand :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ansmcwilla

Hey guys,

New to SW and not sure if doing it right?

Is whole wheat spaghetti free? And even if it is I am def eating too much! Help :-(

ansmcwilla wrote: »
    Hey guys,

New to SW and not sure if doing it right?

Is whole wheat spaghetti free? And even if it is I am def eating too much! Help :-(

All dried pasta is free, regardless of whether it's whole wheat or normal. You can eat as much pasta as long as it's dried before cooking. It's the fresh pasta that's not free.

• Advertisement

Did you sit in the the members talk? With SW the point is with every meal you have 1/3 super free which is your fruit or veg and 2/3 free which is usually your meat, pasta, rice, potatoes eggs etc. All the info is in your book of what's free, super free etc so keep reading the book.

You have an allowance of bread/cereal etc which is your healthy b and then your dairy which is your healthy a option, every day and anything over that has to be counted as syns.

Any other questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

Hi Guys, did sw online this time last yr & lost 1 stone, managed to keep that off (up 2 lb down 2lb etc).
    Back on track but not attending a group or unline due to cost but hope to maybe join a class when child back to school.

Yesterday's for diary:
    Glass of water with lemon
    An orange
    Porridge (hea) milk (Heb) 6 almonds, sunflower seed & a bananna sliced in

3 tomatoes

4 eggs scrambled with a few chives chopped in
    A mango

2 lion pork chops cooked on George foreman (dog got the fat)
    1/2 onion cooked on George foreman
    Sweet potatoe wedges cooked in oven with fry lite olive oil
    2 boiled new potatoes
    2 big scoops of SW coleslaw
    Small spoon of baked beans

5 almonds

Some days I find it hard to drink water, other days no problem, yesterday was one where I drank way too little. I don't drink tea or coffee or fizzy drinks.

I also try to eat my fruit before eating other food.

Any comments /observations why I'm finding it hard to shift the weight (about 41/2 stone to lose)

(Also is it possible to eat too much fruit - yesterday I wasn't too bad on fruit but some days I could eat a pear, another bananna & maybe some plums as well - depends what's on offer.)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i have joined sw online (i am very self conscious) so looking for any hints or tips people got from the meetings?!

i have about 5 stone to shift...so any hints would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

ene wrote: »
    i have joined sw online (i am very self conscious) so looking for any hints or tips people got from the meetings?!

i have about 5 stone to shift...so any hints would be great

Hi! I don't do SW but like to read these threads for motivation etc. since whatever programme you're following, we all have the same goal at the end of the day! So I don't have any SW specific tips for you but I have one major suggestion that came to me when I read your last sentence there and which I think is super important:

Do not focus on the 5 stone you need to lose.

I've lost over 5 stone so far so I know where you're coming from and sometimes it seems insurmountable. If you constantly think about the "5 whole stone" you need to lose it can be very de-motivating. So what you should do is break it down into smaller goals. Start off by aiming for a half a stone loss. 7 lbs. You can do that in no time at all (especially when starting your journey!). Have a reward planned for when you hit that first goal (preferably something totally unrelated to food like buying yourself a new game/book/gadget/purse/whatever or planning a day trip somewhere or whatever floats your boat). Once you've achieved a 7lb loss (or whatever amount you decide), don't think "right, 4.5 stone still to go" just move straight on to the next 7lb goal and focus on your next reward.

This is of course a lot easier said than done but I think most people will agree that it's a lot easier to focus on smaller increments than the big picture!

The other thing you should do is take pictures and measurements straight away. I know that's hard cause I certainly did not want any reminders of how big I'd gotten when I started but the scale is not the only (or best!) indicator of progress. I often read people on here and other forums etc. who drop dress sizes (i.e. lose inches) without the scale budging much. It's good to have several measures of progress so you can see how far you've come :)

Best of luck and make sure you check in here plenty - for the good and the bad! Sometimes I feel stupid writing out my struggles and feel like no one wants to read that crap but it does give me the kick up the arse I need sometimes. Weight loss is not a straightforward journey and there will be many ups and downs - you just have to learn to accept that and make sure you keep moving upwards.

Best of luck! Hope to see you achieving your first goal very soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ginger_Nut

nhg wrote: »
    Hi Guys, did sw online this time last yr & lost 1 stone, managed to keep that off (up 2 lb down 2lb etc).
    Back on track but not attending a group or unline due to cost but hope to maybe join a class when child back to school.

Yesterday's for diary:
    Glass of water with lemon
    An orange
    Porridge (hea) milk (Heb) 6 almonds, sunflower seed & a bananna sliced in

3 tomatoes

4 eggs scrambled with a few chives chopped in
    A mango

2 lion pork chops cooked on George foreman (dog got the fat)
    1/2 onion cooked on George foreman
    Sweet potatoe wedges cooked in oven with fry lite olive oil
    2 boiled new potatoes
    2 big scoops of SW coleslaw
    Small spoon of baked beans

5 almonds

Some days I find it hard to drink water, other days no problem, yesterday was one where I drank way too little. I don't drink tea or coffee or fizzy drinks.

I also try to eat my fruit before eating other food.

Any comments /observations why I'm finding it hard to shift the weight (about 41/2 stone to lose)

(Also is it possible to eat too much fruit - yesterday I wasn't too bad on fruit but some days I could eat a pear, another bananna & maybe some plums as well - depends what's on offer.)

Hi I just noticed you're having 2 HEB. Almonds are synned or I think you can have 20 as a HEB. Also sunflowers seeds have to be synned.
    Haven't done slimming world in a while but i'm joining this week! Out of practice so can't offer anymore incite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If you're synning those seeds and nuts then you're fine.

Any particular reason you're eating them ?

MugMugs wrote: »
    If you're synning those seeds and nuts then you're fine.

Any particular reason you're eating them ?

Because I thought that they were healthy and good for me! Yes I was sinning the the almonds but not the sunflower seeds! Only added the sunflower seeds to the combination in the last few weeks but they will disappear again now.

Thank you.

Today so far:
    Water with Lemon Juice
    Water with baking soda (health reasons)
    Porridge with Milk, 8 almonds, dessertspoon of sunflower seeds & a banana

Lunch
    Water
    A banana and a lemon Muller light

Didn't have much time and wasn't hungry when I was home at lunch time, but will have a good dinner at around 6

Are you following the extra easy plan?
    If you are you have to have 1/3 superfree with every meal and you didn't with your breakfast. you should include some berries with the porridge, it's delicious.

Also I have heard lots of people say that if they don't eat enough they don't lose weight either because your body goes into starvation mode and clings to any calories it gets. So try not to miss meals meals. Realistically you could have had that banana and yogurt with your breakfast so you'd need a bigger lunch.

ETA: sorry I see you had a banana your breakfast. Try to limit them to one a day, I know they are free but bananas have over 100 calories in them nearly the same as a two finger kit kat but obviously with way better nutritional content!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

does the Lemon Juice have to be syned too?

Lemon Juice in warm water is supposed to be very good first thing in the morning as it aids the digestive system & makes the process of eliminating the waste products from the body easier.

This evening I had lean mince (aldi) fried off in frylight olive oil with a very large finely chopped onion, chopped clove of garlic, sliced tub of mushrooms, tin of chopped tomatoes, tomato purée & a carton of pasatta & some dried basil & oregano stirred in and a good portion of petit pois, when cooked stirred into a mixture of brown & white pasta - I have enough to have some for lunch tomorrow as well. While I was cooking that combination I had a large pear.

I don't drink tea, coffee or fizzy drinks - just still water

Yes, the extra easy plan.

Thanks for the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

does the Lemon Juice have to be syned too?

Free according to the app.

Lemon Juice in warm water is supposed to be very good first thing in the morning as it aids the digestive system & makes the process of eliminating the waste products from the body easier.

This evening I had lean mince (aldi) fried off in frylight olive oil with a very large finely chopped onion, chopped clove of garlic, sliced tub of mushrooms, tin of chopped tomatoes, tomato purée & a carton of pasatta & some dried basil & oregano stirred in and a good portion of petit pois, when cooked stirred into a mixture of brown & white pasta - I have enough to have some for lunch tomorrow as well. While I was cooking that combination I had a large pear.

Thanks for the help guys
    Perhaps you should fill in the food diary in your pack and get your consultant to go over it with you. That way you will know where you are doing well or where to adjust it.

Because I thought that they were healthy and good for me! Yes I was sinning the the almonds but not the sunflower seeds! Only added the sunflower seeds to the combination in the last few weeks but they will disappear again now.

28g of Sunflower seeds is about 8 Syns. Not sure of your gender but that's half your syns gone for the day on seeds. I'd personally rather the Curly Wurly :D

Not sure if you're a tea or coffee junkie but if you find yourself running low on your milk, when I ate porridge I just made it with water and then mixed in an Aldi Duneen Fat Free Yoghurt and some fruit.

Worked for me. Personally, for what you get in porridge I just didn't see the point and moved onto Weetabix. But I have three and syn the third biscuit.

Ginger_Nut wrote: »
    Try to limit them to one a day, I know they are free but bananas have over 100 calories in them nearly the same as a two finger kit kat but obviously with way better nutritional content!
    Whilst you're completely right, Calorie counting goes against the spirit of the programme. I eat a mother load of them daily and I am still losing.
    & a carton of pasatta

Which is even Superfree making Spag Bol a favorite of mine :)

Thanks for the help guys

do you make the lemon juice fresh and do you do half half with the water?

• Advertisement

I just use the juice from 1/4 wedge of fresh lemon or a about a teaspoon from the lemon juice concentrate (glass bottle in aldi) - I use fresh as much as possible. It's worth googling the benefits, also the benefits of baking soda if ur interested in that sort of thing.

I never drink tea or coffee - if I drank 5 cups of tea in a year that would be a lot for me, love the smell of coffee but hate the taste so happy to use the milk in the porridge or else I'd be tempted to drink a big glass of chilled milk which would lead to a second one!

So joined slimming world today and I was only up a pound since I was there last, delighted with myself! But in reality I have almost 4 stone to lost to be at my ideal weight and 3 stone to have a healthy BMI.

I'm getting married next year and I have always struggled with my weight since I went to college. I have had several big occasions in myself when I promised myself I would lose the weight for and it never happened.
    I really want to lose it for my own wedding, I don't want to look at those pictures for the rest of my life and feel bad. I honestly have no excuse for not losing weight, its just a lack of will power. I have always been sporty and even though I'm very over weight, I still exercise at least 3 times a week. My problem is I have too good of a social life. I don't drink a lot of alcohol but I would go out for dinner, lunches, coffee with the girls several times a week and then I always have the attitude "when you're out you're out, I might as well enjoy myself". So thats the first problem I'm gonna tackle! Make healthier choices!

best of luck Ginger Nut.

Don't mind BMI too much.

In order for me to have ideal BMI I need to lose four more stone. If I lost that amount of weight, I'd blow away and be invisible when sideways ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Ginger_Nut wrote: »
    So joined slimming world today and I was only up a pound since I was there last, delighted with myself! But in reality I have almost 4 stone to lost to be at my ideal weight and 3 stone to have a healthy BMI.

I'm getting married next year and I have always struggled with my weight since I went to college. I have had several big occasions in myself when I promised myself I would lose the weight for and it never happened.
    I really want to lose it for my own wedding, I don't want to look at those pictures for the rest of my life and feel bad. I honestly have no excuse for not losing weight, its just a lack of will power. I have always been sporty and even though I'm very over weight, I still exercise at least 3 times a week. My problem is I have too good of a social life. I don't drink a lot of alcohol but I would go out for dinner, lunches, coffee with the girls several times a week and then I always have the attitude "when you're out you're out, I might as well enjoy myself". So thats the first problem I'm gonna tackle! Make healthier choices!

I joined today as well, and like you, have a wedding next year (although not my own) and have had several occasions where I too said I was going to lose weight n it never happened. I am determined to work this time though by setting myself realistic targets. I'm 16st 7lbs now, I want to be 15 stone by Christmas, and 13 stone by the wedding in June next year! I've set myself a target of 7lbs so I will focus on that only until I get there :)

Great Loubian we can virtual weight loss buddies!
    I weighed in today at 14stone 1.5lbs. The lightest I got with slimming world was 13. 12. So 3.5lbs is my first goal. I have alot of social engagements this week (can't be avoided) and a wedding next week. So will try my best to lose those 3.5lbs and from them on I will make half stone goals. I would like to be 12 stone shopping for the wedding dress ( in 6 months) and 10.5 stone or size 12 on my wedding (1 year from now).
    I'm currently a size 16 on bottom and 18 on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I joined today also, and my aim is to loose 4 st 10 lbs, however long it takes me. I enjoyed listening to all the others at the meeting, but felt the leader was rushing things. At the new member talk it was difficult to ask her questions, it was a busy class tonight so I might sit in again at new members chat next week at the morning session. She might be less rushed then.
    I really can't believe all the food we can eat. But I am dedicated 100%. Good luck to you all x

I joined today also, and my aim is to loose 4 st 10 lbs, however long it takes me. I enjoyed listening to all the others at the meeting, but felt the leader was rushing things. At the new member talk it was difficult to ask her questions, it was a busy class tonight so I might sit in again at new members chat next week at the morning session. She might be less rushed then.
    I really can't believe all the food we can eat. But I am dedicated 100%. Good luck to you all x

Always wise to get the new member talk twice. There is a lot to take in and understand. While she's talking about which veg is free/superfree your brain is still thinking about fruit etc.

Your book is your bible so read it a few times. It's a great plan once you get your head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Always wise to get the new member talk twice. There is a lot to take in and understand. While she's talking about which veg is free/superfree your brain is still thinking about fruit etc.

Your book is your bible so read it a few times. It's a great plan once you get your head around it.

Thanks mayo bliss, my biggest issue is that I'm a chef and I have so many carb free requests for meals, now it's hard to see that you can eat loads of pasta, potato etc. it will take me a while to trust it, but will give it a go. Thank you

Thanks mayo bliss, my biggest issue is that I'm a chef and I have so many carb free requests for meals, now it's hard to see that you can eat loads of pasta, potato etc. it will take me a while to trust it, but will give it a go. Thank you

Yep, as long as 1/3 of the plate is superfree you can have all the spuds as you want.

I think though that because you are allowed them freely and don't have to cut them back, you crave them less. If that makes sense.

• Advertisement

I just use the juice from 1/4 wedge of fresh lemon or a about a teaspoon from the lemon juice concentrate (glass bottle in aldi) - I use fresh as much as possible. It's worth googling the benefits, also the benefits of baking soda if ur interested in that sort of thing.

I never drink tea or coffee - if I drank 5 cups of tea in a year that would be a lot for me, love the smell of coffee but hate the taste so happy to use the milk in the porridge or else I'd be tempted to drink a big glass of chilled milk which would lead to a second one!

First morning with lemon juice :o. But funny thing was that yesterday at class the consultant showed us her water bottel with green tea and lemon slices and praised it. Went straight to Tesco to get green tea and made the water for today - love it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement