Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Vahevala wrote: »
    I have joined Slimming World today, it is like a minefield at the moment, trying to get my head around the plan and it looks too good to be true :pac:

I have a hell of a lot to lose so one day at a time! :)

I am sick of counting calories so a change is very much welcomed at the moment!

If you have any queries just shout. It can take a few weeks to really get your head around the plan and find out what foods work for you and your syns etc. But give it time and once you get to grips with it its a great plan. So much to eat and so many fab recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

What milk does everyone buy? I just bought the Avonmore 1% light milk but not sure if this is low fat or skimmed and don't know how much I am entitled to? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

What milk does everyone buy? I just bought the Avonmore 1% light milk but not sure if this is low fat or skimmed and don't know how much I am entitled to? :(

I think you use the semi-skimmed allowance for that.

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I think you use the semi-skimmed allowance for that.

Thanks, though at the back, it compares itself to semi skimmed milk so I am guessing it may be skimmed.

Also are Ballyfree Turkey rashers free on the extra easy plan?

Thanks, though at the back, it compares itself to semi skimmed milk so I am guessing it may be skimmed.

Also are Ballyfree Turkey rashers free on the extra easy plan?

The problem with the 1% milk is that it's actually not skimmed or semi-skimmed, it's in between the two. Lower in fat than semi-skimmed but higher in fat than skimmed, so I would think you'd be better off counting it as semi-skimmed unless you can find an actual allowance specifically for 1% milk.

The turkey rashers are free :)

• Advertisement

The problem with the 1% milk is that it's actually not skimmed or semi-skimmed, it's in between the two. Lower in fat than semi-skimmed but higher in fat than skimmed, so I would think you'd be better off counting it as semi-skimmed unless you can find an actual allowance specifically for 1% milk.

The turkey rashers are free :)

That's perfect, I treated it like it was semi skimmed - just to be safe! oh great news on the rashers. :D Thank you!

You get the most allowance of milk with the skimmed (pink carton) so i always use that as i drink tea and usually have cereal for breakfast, but you can always syn the milk if you want more than the normal allowance.

andreac wrote: »
    You get the most allowance of milk with the skimmed (pink carton) so i always use that as i drink tea and usually have cereal for breakfast, but you can always syn the milk if you want more than the normal allowance.

I don't drink tea or coffee and can't eat cheese so don't need too much milk. I realised on my old diet, I had cut calcium out completely :eek::o

I don't drink tea or coffee and can't eat cheese so don't need too much milk. I realised on my old diet, I had cut calcium out completely :eek::o

Ah right i see. Well maybe theres other things on the Healthy A list that you could have instead if you dont use much milk? I cant see the A list at the moment as im in work but maybe have a look and see if theres something else that might suit to have.

Ah right i see. Well maybe theres other things on the Healthy A list that you could have instead if you dont use much milk? I cant see the A list at the moment as im in work but maybe have a look and see if theres something else that might suit to have.

It is fine, I used all the milk in my cereal so it worked out okay :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Lovely 'free' dinner last night, fishcakes with SWchips and salad :)
    Didn't follow a recipe, just blitzed a small fillet of steamed (in the microwave) cod with some crabmeat, peeled prawns, finely chopped red pepper and onion, fresh parsley, pepper, lemon juice and zest, cayenne pepper and an egg to bind. Lightly browned (in frylight, naturally :P) on the pan, then finished in the oven for a few minutes. Really light and fresh and tasty :)
    I find I'm cooking nicer stuff on SW, it's getting me out of a 'same 4 meals in rotation' rut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

i use the "pink" milk carton, a carton will do you 3 days

dee_mc wrote: »
    Lovely 'free' dinner last night, fishcakes with SWchips and salad :)
    Didn't follow a recipe, just blitzed a small fillet of steamed (in the microwave) cod with some crabmeat, peeled prawns, finely chopped red pepper and onion, fresh parsley, pepper, lemon juice and zest, cayenne pepper and an egg to bind. Lightly browned (in frylight, naturally :P) on the pan, then finished in the oven for a few minutes. Really light and fresh and tasty :)
    I find I'm cooking nicer stuff on SW, it's getting me out of a 'same 4 meals in rotation' rut :D

That sounds lovely! I must get back to proper cooking. The last few weeks I've been cooking a joint of meat on a Sunday and eating leftovers for the rest of the week.

Are you having any issues with the frylight? I'm blaming it for destroying all my pans!

That sounds lovely! I must get back to proper cooking. The last few weeks I've been cooking a joint of meat on a Sunday and eating leftovers for the rest of the week.

Are you having any issues with the frylight? I'm blaming it for destroying all my pans!

My oven trays are loving it, George Foreman easier to clean, frying pan looking a bit ropy but in fairness I think that came before the frylight!
    In what way are yours destroyed? Are they non stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I've read about that on a lot of slimming world Facebook pages people giving out about frylight wrecking their pans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I hope nobody minds me asking for a recipe! My mam is on sw for a few weeks now and has been doing really well but she had a craving for something sweet during the week. I usually bake loads and she's missing my sweet treats. So I'm looking for a nice cheesecake recipe to make for her. I've had a look at the sw website but couldn't find a nice one. So if anyone could help ideally appreciate it!

Wellyd wrote: »
    I hope nobody minds me asking for a recipe! My mam is on sw for a few weeks now and has been doing really well but she had a craving for something sweet during the week. I usually bake loads and she's missing my sweet treats. So I'm looking for a nice cheesecake recipe to make for her. I've had a look at the sw website but couldn't find a nice one. So if anyone could help ideally appreciate it!

That's a nice idea! I saw a recipe last week, will try to hunt it down and link it later for you :)

dee_mc wrote: »
    My oven trays are loving it, George Foreman easier to clean, frying pan looking a bit ropy but in fairness I think that came before the frylight!
    In what way are yours destroyed? Are they non stick?

I got about 3 weeks out of a non-stick pan when I first started. After that everything kept sticking to it. I switched to the JML ceramic pans and I've gotten a couple of months out of those but now the spray seems to be sticking to the pans and I can't get them clean. I have the same problem with the tray for my halogen oven but the baking trays for the normal oven are fine.

I picked up a couple of €6 non-stick frying pans in Aldi today. I won't be so annoyed when I have to throw them out in a few weeks!

I got about 3 weeks out of a non-stick pan when I first started. After that everything kept sticking to it. I switched to the JML ceramic pans and I've gotten a couple of months out of those but now the spray seems to be sticking to the pans and I can't get them clean. I have the same problem with the tray for my halogen oven but the baking trays for the normal oven are fine.

I picked up a couple of €6 non-stick frying pans in Aldi today. I won't be so annoyed when I have to throw them out in a few weeks!

The pan I have is a good heavy one which had a great non stick coating til about 6 weeks ago; to be honest I think it's improved since I started using the Frylight! Thanks for the tip though, whenever this one bites the dust I won't spend a fortune on a new one just in case!

There's a recipe for a cake and it's only half a syn for the whole thing. I still haven't made it myself as I'm not a great cook at all but I have tasted it and it's amazing.
    I'll post the recipe shortly for you if I can. If not ill do it Monday when I'm back at my desk at work as only on my phone at the mo.

• Advertisement

For the person looking for a cheesecake recipe, I thought these looked quite good for about 6 syns each:
    http://www.alldishes.co.uk/click/index/4965331/?site=carolinemakes.net

http://www.alldishes.co.uk/click/index/573720/?site=slimming-world-recipes.blogspot.co.uk

Bear in mind, any cheesecake recipe that works out under 300 calories per portion is likely to be ok syns-wise (i.e. using up to the full 15 syns for the day) - you can use the syns calculator on the SW website to check the ingredients properly :)

I have been using the George Foreman (non stick) and had no problem using the frylight on that. I also use a Tefal steamer which really helps!

Has anyone had any problems with receiving orders from the website lately? I ordered the food directory a few months back and it arrived in about 3 days. I ordered the Fakeaways book nearly 2 weeks ago and still no sign of it.

On the cheesecake request again, here's the one I found before (and couldn't locate last night!): http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/baked-oreo-cheesecake#.VB8jDfldVpc
    Let us know how you get on! Nice to have a decent dessert recipe for when people come to dinner, I've a feeling a Muller light and a banana wouldn't quite cut it for most non SW people!

Here is the Half Syn cake recipe as promised. Ive tasted this and its amazing!! Still haven't made it myself yet so really must try it soon.

FRUIT ROULADE - 0.5 SYN FOR THE WHOLE CAKE

1 TUB QUARK

4 EGGS

1 TSP BAKING POWDER

4 TBSP SWEETNER (I ADDED LOT MORE LOL)

VANILLA ESSENCE (OR ANY)

FRESH FRUIT

SEPERATE THE EGGS

ADD THE YOLK, HALF THE QUARK,

BAKING POWDER, SWEETNER AND ESSENCE INTO A BOWL, WHISK TOGETHER AND SET ASIDE.

WHISK EGG WHITE TILL STIFF. WHISK HALF INTO THE MIXTURE THEN FOLD IN OTHER HALF.

USING A SWISS ROLL TIN SPRAY WITH FRY LIGHT ( I PUT GREASPROOF PAPER IN FIRST THEN SPRAY SO DOESN'T STICK) POUR THE MIXTURE IN AND BAKE AT

180 FOR 15 - 20 MINUTES. LEAVE TO COOL

IN A DISH ADD REMAINING QUARK ,SWEETNER, AND ESSENCE AND MIX TOGETHER.

REMOVE THE CAKE FROM TIN WHEN COOL SPREAD THE QUARK EVENLY, i ALSO PUT SYN FREE lEMON CURD ON TOP OF QUARK. ADD FINELY CHOPPED FRUIT (STRAWBERRY AND BANANA MY FAVE). ROLL THE CAKE FROM ONE END. SLICE TO SERVE.

THE WHOLE CAKE IS ONLY HALF A SYN AND THATS THE BAKING POWDER. CAN ALSO ADD CHOC OPTIONS SACHET FOR FLAVOURING. WHEN THE CAKE COMES OUT OF THE OVEN IT WILL HAVE RISEN LOADS BUT WILL GO VERY FLAT WHEN COOL, BUT IT WAS LOVELY.

Top tip though - make sure you use greaseproof paper on top of swiss roll tin or it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Thanks for the recipes. I'll definitely be trying them both if I can ever figure out what quark is!!

Thanks for the recipes. I'll definitely be trying them both if I can ever figure out what quark is!!

You get it in the fridge section. In a little tub.

You get it in the fridge section. In a little tub.

In my Dunnes it's in the specialty cheeses section, took me a couple of weeks to find the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Hi can anyone tell me what syn free is? Iv come across a receipe for pancakes that is completely syn free so does that mean I can eat it unlimited or would there be restrictions? Thanks :)

• Advertisement

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me what syn free is? Iv come across a receipe for pancakes that is completely syn free so does that mean I can eat it unlimited or would there be restrictions? Thanks :)

Are you following Slimming World? If so then you know you have a daily allowance for syns, for treats etc.

So Yes it means its free, so technically you can eat as much as you like, but within moderation of course. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement