Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

andreac wrote: »
    but just think of how much 2 lbs of fat looks like or two lbs of sausages

The 2lbs of Sausages thing is a great way of looking at it, isn't it! It's mad to think that could be coming off your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

The 2lbs of Sausages thing is a great way of looking at it, isn't it! It's mad to think that could be coming off your body.

Or 2 pounds of butter yuch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm thinking of starting slimming world! What are the pros and cons of it? A girl in work lost fpur stone in 9 months! That's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

loubian wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting slimming world! What are the pros and cons of it? A girl in work lost fpur stone in 9 months! That's amazing!

The pros are you can lose weight without having to cut out anything. You can still have your chocolate or crisps just in moderation.

Have a read through the thread and see what you think. You can go along to a meeting and have "the introduction chat" without having to join/pay.

The only con is your own willpower/battle with food. Sw works.

This is all just my opinion:

Cons:
    You pay a tenner a week.
    You spend an hour each week listening to the same tired old recipes, comments and questions.
    You get an eating plan that lets you eat as much food as you want so long as it falls within a certain category (fruit etc.) (I disagree with this part of the plan).
    You are expected to blindly follow the plan and not question aspects of it.
    It's mostly women. :(

Pros:
    It's a weekly public weigh in, so the 'impending doom' each week, makes you a more responsible eater.
    You get an eating plan that carries with it a solid food pyramid that can be used to improve your diet fairly swiftly.
    You get 'awards' for your progress to keep you on track. Although I initially didn't care about these when I joined, they actually do motivate you.
    You get a SW pack (books on different things, food, exercise, etc. in a transparent plastic casing). It's really professionally done, not at all tacky, and worth the joining costs alone.
    It's a decent social circle to spend an hour or two in each week. Obviously it varies from group to group, but the class I joined is full of people who are very pleasant and welcoming.
    It's mostly women. :D

All in all, I would highly recommend joining. Definitely try get someone to go with you when you join, as it can be a bit daunting, but once you're there for 2-3 classes you start getting to know some of the faces and can fall in and out of conversation that bit easier.

It also opens you up to a social circle of people looking to lose weight. So if you're looking for someone to go walking with, for example, you can always put the feelers out at a meeting and see if you can nab someone (probably not too difficult).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

There's a lot to be said about sw but I'm uncertain about one key part.

I can eat literally a tonne of spaghetti bolognese and not gain weight. Whilst I can testify that you can be rolling around the couch every night after eating your body weight in certain meals and still lose weight it just doesn't ring right to me.

Calorie intake versus output is where it's at and even though I'm still on slimming world, I'm leaning more toward this train of thought as I gain in on my sw target.

What's the biggest benefits of it for me? An education into what kind of foods are good for me and what are not. And the second of course being significantly lighter than I was this time last year. Give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

I agree with you, Mugs, while you can eat lots of zero calorie foods, it cant be right to be able to eat, say, five bananas, or loads of lean meat and pasta, and expect to lose weight. I am a member for about 3 months, and struggling to not gain weight would describe my experience.

Its great you are getting to target, and I think your approach is a sensible one.

Best of luck!

Does anyone else find that they get an enormous urge to binge-eat all kinds of crap foods every now and again?

I gave in last night (not very wise, considering my SW class is this evening). But at the time there was just no stopping it. :o I feel annoyed at myself, but at the same time, I didn't really enjoy the sweets and stuff as much as I'd have liked, so maybe it's a good thing (maybe i'll start to associate sweets and crisps with pains in my belly and underwhelming tastes and ultimately be put off such foods... or maybe I'm just being too optimistic...)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Does anyone else find that they get an enormous urge to binge-eat all kinds of crap foods every now and again?

I gave in last night (not very wise, considering my SW class is this evening). But at the time there was just no stopping it. :o I feel annoyed at myself, but at the same time, I didn't really enjoy the sweets and stuff as much as I'd have liked, so maybe it's a good thing (maybe i'll start to associate sweets and crisps with pains in my belly and underwhelming tastes and ultimately be put off such foods... or maybe I'm just being too optimistic...)

If you try and cut out everything, yopu'll get that. best way is to allow yourself a small amount and then you're far less likely to have that build up, mentally, that ends up far worse.

I still get that. More so I'd be sitting there craving for a Dominos or KFC bucket. But I just fill myself with free foods instead and remember the target I'd set for myself that week.

I've come too far to let it slip. When I need to stop losing weight, I'll relax that mindset but for the time being I am being very disciplined.

Also, if you don't have them in the house, you can't binge! :)

• Advertisement

I weighed in last night, with a 4.5lbs gain :o

Looking back, I can see why (got a bit of work on with a chap in a van.. spent the whole week sitting and not moving, and eating lunches out on the road). Probably thought i was gonna have a 'maintain' week, but 4.5lbs is a bit more than I had thought!

So this week I'm aiming to do things a bit more health consciously. Will aim to get a run in in the morning before heading off, bring some of those Tesco fruit pots as a lunch and do some light enough resistance training in the evenings perhaps (haven't done weight training in quite some time).

Will keep a tab of everything I eat and all the exercise I do. Will hopefully all combine to get a loss of more than 4.5lbs off (i know you usually do lose a little more weight on a week after you've had a fairly big gain).

Gonna be a long week.. haha.

I have been having what I can only call surges of cravings over the last few weeks. I gave in over the weekend and I ate before and after me. I wolfed down junk as quick as I could get my hands on it. I was like a savage possessed.

Result: 2.5lb gain and I was lucky that's all it was.

I've never denied myself my treats and always have my syns so I hadn't deprived myself of anything. But hopefully that's it now and I can knuckle down again and beat off the little demons in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

4 lbs this week so I am happy. 1 more lb to half stone.:)

auldgranny wrote: »
    4 lbs this week so I am happy. 1 more lb to half stone.:)

Well done. Sticker time next week for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I was up 2 this week, totally deserved. I just can't stop eating! I don't know what's wrong with me. Crisps,muffins chocolate etc. I need to rediscover my willpower before I really start undoing all my hard work so far :(

Has anyone here done slimming world online? Debating whether to sign up or just wait for my class next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Has anyone here done slimming world online? Debating whether to sign up or just wait for my class next week!

I would def join a class as it can a while to get your head around the plan so its better to have someone explain it to you first and you can ask questions if needs be.

Personally, without the weekly classes, there's no point in doing SW, in my opinion. Doing it online, you may aswell just do any other diet that pops up in a google search.

(although I don't really actually follow the SW diet, it's just the weekly classes that enthuse me)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 choccylover

hey guys

i have been in weight watchers since my 2nd child was born in 2008 and i have lost and gained the same 2 stone over the past 5 years

instead of rejoining again with my head held low i was thinking of mayby trying sw

anyone else go from ww to sw with thriving results
    i suppose im afraid of the idea of a new plan

any ideas for someone with a very sweet tooth

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mistyd

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Down 7.5 pounds this week. Slimming World is fantastic.
    Started first week in October 2013, I've lost 11 stone 3 pounds. Yippee. Delighted.

Wow.. we'll done dobbs . So inspiring.. I'm on week 2 and have 11 lbs gone.. I have few friends and cousins who are slim now and haven't been in years because of slimming world, so here's hoping I'll follow suit 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭maria34

Guys do u have loads of weiht to loose if u dont mind me asking. Seems like u are loosing loads. I loose a pound or two a week, sometimes i gain (during my period) and i follow all the sw rules.

maria34 wrote: »
    Guys do u have loads of weiht to loose if u dont mind me asking. Seems like u are loosing loads. I loose a pound or two a week, sometimes i gain (during my period) and i follow all the sw rules.

I don't lose large amounts each week, I'm happy with a pound and thrilled if it's two but that rarely happens. Everybody loses differently but it's rare that someone loses large amounts every week.

maria34 wrote: »
    You'll find people are not as vocal about their gains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Met a friend on holidays who has lost over 4 stone in a year. I couldn't get over the change in her when we called. She swears by SW, she has given me one of their mags and I have checked out the website also. Really thinking of joining when I get back.
    I have lost 2 stone over 18 months myself, just eating well and walking. I have cut our carbs pretty much so the thoughts of eating pasta does not appeal to me!!
    My biggest killer I think is alcohol, each night I love to have a drink, one or two bottles of cider or whiskey with a dash of water. Nothing too much but still a habit, will have to change this I think!!
    Am going to join when kids are back to school as only time suitable for me. I will post my weigh ins, think I need to loose another 5 stone!!! Fingers crossed.....

Met a friend on holidays who has lost over 4 stone in a year. I couldn't get over the change in her when we called. She swears by SW, she has given me one of their mags and I have checked out the website also. Really thinking of joining when I get back.
    I have lost 2 stone over 18 months myself, just eating well and walking. I have cut our carbs pretty much so the thoughts of eating pasta does not appeal to me!!
    My biggest killer I think is alcohol, each night I love to have a drink, one or two bottles of cider or whiskey with a dash of water. Nothing too much but still a habit, will have to change this I think!!
    Am going to join when kids are back to school as only time suitable for me. I will post my weigh ins, think I need to loose another 5 stone!!! Fingers crossed.....

I'm joining today too. I've to lose about 5 stone but going to try focus on health and fitness rather than numbers! Hopefully well both succeed with sw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I'm joining today too. I've to lose about 5 stone but going to try focus on health and fitness rather than numbers! Hopefully well both succeed with sw

Best of luck to you too, I won't be able to start until beginning of sept, but will start the food thing now to see how it goes. I am 100% determined to do this. Have a wedding jan 3rd to aim towards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

Howdy all,

I started back to SW a couple of weeks ago after trying it last year for a couple of months. I got on OK last time loosing a stone in about six weeks but between one thing and another I gave up. This time around though my OH joined too and we are doing it together. He has a good bit of weight to loose too so I'm hoping we will motivate each other to stay on track.

I really do like the extra easy plan, however one thing that really P's me off about slimming world is that I think us Irish are being ripped off every week. It only costs £4.95 in the UK and €6 in other euro countries (e.g. Cyprus). It's roughly 50% more expensive here. I can't imagine the operating costs of renting venues etc. here are 50% higher that other countries. It's not like something you can openly ask in class either because it's so very 'un-Irish'!

Maybe we could start a petition or something!

N.

new2tri wrote: »

N.

Or just not join?

I've spent over 500 quid on SW since joining and have no issue with this as it's money well spent in my eyes.

I am healthier and have a better understanding of what foods I should be eating. When the time comes, I'll stop going and use that money to join a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

new2tri wrote: »
    Howdy all,

I started back to SW a couple of weeks ago after trying it last year for a couple of months. I got on OK last time loosing a stone in about six weeks but between one thing and another I gave up. This time around though my OH joined too and we are doing it together. He has a good bit of weight to loose too so I'm hoping we will motivate each other to stay on track.

I really do like the extra easy plan, however one thing that really P's me off about slimming world is that I think us Irish are being ripped off every week. It only costs £4.95 in the UK and €6 in other euro countries (e.g. Cyprus). It's roughly 50% more expensive here. I can't imagine the operating costs of renting venues etc. here are 50% higher that other countries. It's not like something you can openly ask in class either because it's so very 'un-Irish'!

N.

totally up for it too! Was wondering the same since I started SW at the end of May!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mdolly123

is there one in Ballyjamesduff area or cavan. Not too fussed about SW programme but motivation needed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement