Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate Flag

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Washington DC isn't a good link because as we all know, they have brainwashed generations of youngsters in schools on the war of Northern Aggression and many other events in history. I feel sorry for them not getting a proper factual insight into history.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Washington DC isn't a good link because as we all know, they have brainwashed generations of youngsters in schools on the war of Northern Aggression and many other events in history. I feel sorry for them not getting a proper factual insight into history.

Im sure the feeling is mutual Keith. The next thing well here is the kkk didnt hate catholics.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Im sure the feeling is mutual Keith. The next thing well here is the kkk didnt hate catholics.
    I didn't think this was about the KKK. Although i know it was about a chicken box ( :pac:).

Perhaps it would be better on the politics forum.

Although i will say is the KKK have used the United states flag. Plenty of pictures of that. Does that mean the US flag is racist? I don't think so. I don't think any normal person would think that.

I didn't think this was about the KKK. Although i know it was about a chicken box ( :pac:).

Perhaps it would be better on the politics forum.

Although i will say is the KKK have used the United states flag. Plenty of pictures of that. Does that mean the US flag is racist? I don't think so. I don't think any normal person would think that.

No it doesnt mean anything at all. The kkk was an example of revisionist history much like the confederate supporting african rights bs that seems to be popping up now and again.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    No it doesnt mean anything at all. The kkk was an example of revisionist history much like the confederate supporting african rights bs that seems to be popping up now and again.
    Exactly. So you can't judge the US flag with the KKK using it.

Exactly. So you can't judge the US flag with the KKK using it.

I didnt judge it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

The "official" Confederate flag up to May 1863 was this:

168384.jpg
    Started with 7 stars (states) and ended up with 13.

Replaced in May 1863 by this:
    168386.jpg

and finally in March 1865 by this:
    168387.jpg

The "Stars & Bars" is the CSA's battle flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Never mind the flag,what was the chicken like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Never mind the flag,what was the chicken like?

This question brings up why I am the most offended. I bet it is just another Kentucky Fried Chicken knock-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Bump!!

Given the topicality of the issue (Charlottesville, Cork GAA fans, people being "offended") I thought it might be interesting to see what people thought about this a few years ago.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I was shouted down by people in Ireland over my objection to Iron Maiden waving the Union Jack victoriously in Dublin earlier this year. I was told that it was 2017 and to let the past stay in the past.

Is this any different from the Confederate flag debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They mock us in Dungarvan, soldier. Already, General McGrath is outside Midleton, God-damn his Yankee hide. Gentlemen, have the wimmenfolks load up them Springfields and get ready to turn the Siur red, for the Confederacaaahh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    wth is unionist food?

Very bitter and confused I'd imagine.

Very bitter and confused I'd imagine.

Probably just Tatie-bread, as part of an Ulster fry, hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Bump!!

Given the topicality of the issue (Charlottesville, Cork GAA fans, people being "offended") I thought it might be interesting to see what people thought about this a few years ago.

I saw the flag on the Hill on Sunday, just before the match. Something must have been said to the flag bearer as I didn't see it for the rest of the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The south will rise again :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Would love a snack box right now

The south will rise again :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Mike Webb I believe would have toured Ireland with the Tennessee Mafia String Band.
    Small world.

Funny how flags are flown in an OVERT political way in some sporting fixtures and media have no story e.g. Palestinian flag
    Anyone who thinks Cork GAA folk are showing support for white supremacy has their head up their rectum.

topper75 wrote: »
    Mike Webb I believe would have toured Ireland with the Tennessee Mafia String Band.
    Small world...

Indeed. It was the Tennessee Mafia Jug Band, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

topper75 wrote: »
    Small world.

Funny how flags are flown in an OVERT political way in some sporting fixtures and media have no story e.g. Palestinian flag
    Anyone who thinks Cork GAA folk are showing support for white supremacy has their head up their rectum.

I always think anyone flying a Palestinian flag or Israeli flag outside of Palestinian Israeli contexts is a fúckin idiot.
    Seriously this is the battle you want to pick a side on!

Similarly I think any GAA fan flying a flag that has serious racist connotations is also a fúckin dolt.

I always think anyone flying a Palestinian flag or Israeli flag outside of Palestinian Israeli contexts is a fúckin idiot.
    Seriously this is the battle you want to pick a side on!

Similarly I think any GAA fan flying a flag that has serious racist connotations is also a fúckin dolt.

Sir, if you ever presume again to speak disrespectfully of General Grant in my presence, either you or I will sever his connection with this university.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cournioni wrote: »
    I was shouted down by people in Ireland over my objection to Iron Maiden waving the Union Jack victoriously in Dublin earlier this year. I was told that it was 2017 and to let the past stay in the past.

Is this any different from the Confederate flag debate?
    Well, yes.

The confederate flag represented a group of states that seceded from the US in protest at the slave abolition that was on the cards. Specifically they wanted to retain the right to keep slaves and formed their own union on that basis.

In effect, the confederate flag represents white supremacy. It existed only as a banner to represent white supremacists and people in favour of slavery.

The Union Jack by contrast is a national flag. While one can say that many atrocities have been carried out under it, the flag itself is not representative of anything except Britain.

The brief partnership that was the confederacy has long since ended, so the flag now purely represents white supremacy, it cannot be claimed to be a national flag or something more innocuous.

The confederate flag is about as appropriate as a Nazi flag. Less stigma perhaps, but not much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The perpetually offended have something new to moan about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

seamus wrote: »
    Well, yes.

The confederate flag represented a group of states that seceded from the US in protest at the slave abolition that was on the cards. Specifically they wanted to retain the right to keep slaves and formed their own union on that basis.

In effect, the confederate flag represents white supremacy. It existed only as a banner to represent white supremacists and people in favour of slavery.

The Union Jack by contrast is a national flag. While one can say that many atrocities have been carried out under it, the flag itself is not representative of anything except Britain.

The brief partnership that was the confederacy has long since ended, so the flag now purely represents white supremacy, it cannot be claimed to be a national flag or something more innocuous.

The confederate flag is about as appropriate as a Nazi flag. Less stigma perhaps, but not much better.

Except the south was a national flag and what do you think the British empire thought of non whites?

It's a symbol of autonomy as much as racism. The souths economy would collapse which is what happened and they had terrible poverty there and still do to this day in many parts. It's as much to do with racism as the Texan flag might be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

seamus wrote: »
    Well, yes.

TLDR version:

Nazis and Confederate on losing side of respective wars =bad flag
    Britain on winning side of WW2 = Union Jack (aka The Butchers Apron) good flag.

Gottit.

Advertisement