Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate Flag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

That's not the Confederate Flag.

Jusy sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

would a carton of Um Bongo offend someone from da Congo?

so many questions, such little time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Dionysus wrote: »
    It didn't. That's the Yankee take on it. The real "treason" was the conquest of the south by the industrialised north which wanted cheap raw materials and labour, and used "emancipation" as the moral weapon to beat the south with in order to achieve this very rational economic aim.

The hell?

Did you go to the Jefferson Davis School of Revisionist American History or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Get off the fcuking stage

its a box which contains food

nice food

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

The Confederate Flag began as a symbol of treason and evolved as a symbol of defiance of the federal government's attempts to impose civil rights laws on the region. So it is consistent to have problems with the confederate flag and your point isn't made.

It didn't. That's the Yankee take on it. The real "treason" was the conquest of the south by the industrialised north which wanted cheap raw materials and labour, and used "emancipation" as the moral weapon to beat the south with in order to achieve this very rational economic aim.

The pity is that some nationalistically-minded US citizens today would like to ignore this historical reality and portray the entire US Civil War as a moral crusade. Self-serving horseshíte of the highest order. The genuine "abolitionists" were a minority on the Yankee side. The institution of slavery was an economic impediment to the economic advance of the northern states.

• Advertisement

The pity is that some nationalistically-minded US citizens today would like to ignore this historical reality and portray the entire US Civil War as a moral crusade. Self-serving horseshíte of the highest order. The genuine "abolitionists" were a minority on the Yankee side.

Can't argue with that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

The hell?

Did you go to the Jefferson Davis School of Revisionist American History or something? :confused:

Now, now. Can you debate this rationally or are you just going to fall into some moronic stereotype that the US Civil War was all about "freeing the slaves". :rolleyes:

The hell?

The freeing of slaves only applied to slaves in the South, and was used as a method to bolster the number of men at arms...slaves willing to fight for the North were offered freedom.

Lincoln adopted the policy to keep the states who were loyal to the Union but still big on slavery happy.

Now, now. Can you debate this rationally or are you just going to fall into some moronic stereotype that the US Civil War was all about "freeing the slaves". :rolleyes:

They need to do their homework on this

its the modern day "axis of evil"

The pity is that some nationalistically-minded US citizens today would like to ignore this historical reality and portray the entire US Civil War as a moral crusade. Self-serving horseshíte of the highest order. The genuine "abolitionists" were a minority on the Yankee side. The institution of slavery was an economic impediment to the economic advance of the northern states.

Nobody said anything about a moral crusade. But the decision to secede was an act of treason.

Let's not pretend for one second that the Confederate Flag is anything other than a symbol of intransigence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

It was about preventing the secession of the Confederate states. There was considerable anti-slavery sentiment in the North, but that wasn't the reason that war broke out. However, as the war progressed, it became more and more apparent that slavery was the crux of the issue, and no peace could be countenanced unless it was entirely extirpated in all the states. You're correct in stating that it wasn't a moral crusade (although there was an element of this, even within Lincoln's cabinet), but neither was it an aggressive attempt on the part of the North to extend an economic hegemony over the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

If they were serving unionist food then no, but its not the equivalent at all though is it? There is nothing decorated with superiority of anyone, its a chicken box FFS.

The flag is a white supremacist flag.

Its not even a valid flag of anywhere anymore.

And remember the question wasnt whether irish people with no knowledge of US history would be offended, the question was whether any Americans would find it offensive.

But anyway I originally answered that it depended on the context but probably not, They'd be curious certainly.

Let's not pretend for one second that the Confederate Flag is anything other than a symbol of intransigence.

Maybe, but the flag on those boxes is not the Confederate Flag.

Maybe, but the flag on those boxes is not the Confederate Flag.

It's a Southern Fried Chicken box, and they forgot to put the white strips on.

Do you really think it is meant to be something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If they were serving unionist food then no, but its not the equivalent at all though is it? There is nothing decorated with superiority of anyone, its a chicken box FFS.
    wth is unionist food?

Well, given the amount of people in this thread who think it's the Confederate Flag, and the amount of people all over the South who think it's the Confederate flag and hell....even people in Hollywood who will make movies and such with big research budgets and even THEY will think it's the Confederate Flag...i think we need to leave room for the fact that someone googled Southern, found a flag and used in their graphic design and didn't have a freaking clue what it was.

I doubt the chipper is trying to spread a lust for secession via the medium of chicken legs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    wth is unionist food?

Potato farls?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

To be fair, I doubt they put too much thought into it. Probably think- SF Chicken = deep South, Confederate flag = deep South. I tend not to get insulted about things unless offence is intended, and I doubt it is in this situation.

wth is unionist food?

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Or a nice big bowl of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

wth is unionist food?

Northern Fried Chicken?

Well, given the amount of people in this thread who think it's the Confederate Flag, and the amount of people all over the South who think it's the Confederate flag and hell....even people in Hollywood who will make movies and such with big research budgets and even THEY will think it's the Confederate Flag...i think we need to leave room for the fact that someone googled Southern, found a flag and used in their graphic design and didn't have a freaking clue what it was.

I doubt the chipper is trying to spread a lust for secession via the medium of chicken legs. :)
    Einhard wrote: »
    To be fair, I doubt they put too much thought into it. Probably think- SF Chicken = deep South, Confederate flag = deep South. I tend not to get insulted about things unless offence is intended, and I doubt it is in this situation.

Oh I agree. It's like "Oh, look, Dixie Chicken!"

I wouldn't be insulted by it; it would just be very strange to see that in Ireland...and especially in Athlone. Although everything I know about Athlone I learned from this video...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The Confederate Flag pisses me off. Everytime I see it waving means that Cork have just scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Oh I agree. It's like "Oh, look, Dixie Chicken!"

I wouldn't be insulted by it; it would just be very strange to see that in Ireland...and especially in Athlone. Although everything I know about Athlone I learned from this video...:P

Athlone is interesting town in that it spans the geography of two counties (Roscommon and Westmeath) and as such leads to endless arguments as to which county actually can lay claim to rightful ownership of the place. The people of Roscommon claim it's part of Westmeath and the people of Westmeath claim it part of Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    Athlone is interesting town in that it spans the geography of two counties (Roscommon and Westmeath) and as such leads to endless arguments as to which county actually can lay claim to rightful ownership of the place. The people of Roscommon claim it's part of Westmeath and the people of Westmeath claim it part of Roscommon

:D Being originally from Mullingar I wholeheartedly endorse this sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The river going through the town is pretty.

I remember spending many hours hitchhiking in the 70's on that road by the station.

I'd always end up there trying to get from dublin to Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

cml387 wrote: »
    Northern Fried Chicken?

I've seen Martha Stewart books on this out here :)
    c_man wrote: »
    The Confederate Flag pisses me off. Everytime I see it waving means that Cork have just scored.

Then you are not too familiar with the Confederate flag then :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

I'm Irish (Catholic descent) and I find Celtic fans waving Irish flags fairly annoying too.
    You probably find lots of flies in your soup;).Always something to be annoyed about eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

PS: I agree with you in a sense: I find if these so-called Irish in Scotland were really Irish they wouldn't be well, how do I put it, supporting the garrison game of all games. Likewise for the so-called Irish republicans in Ireland. What sort of Irish "freedom" do these people want? Its clearly not cultural. Not a popular view in Afterhours but hey, are we really here to be thanks whores? :D[/QUOTE]
    Im defo not a thank whore, but if people chose to wave the flag of their descendants with pride then more power to them.Theres people of Irish descent in Glasgow who know more about Irish culture and history than a lot of the morons who actually live here:D.Sad, but true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

This is the Confederate flag that was actually used by the Confederacy. The version we're all familiar with wasn't used.

Advertisement