Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate Flag

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

FrostyJack wrote: »
    And if the town wants a statue to the cops who beat Rodney King, they should put it up, right? Nonsense. Just because a majority wants it doesn't make it right.

Yes, because that's democracy.

If they want them, Hitler, Stalin etc they should get them.

If people vote to send minorities to camps, they should get it.

That's democracy. The people should get the society they want. They will decide if it's good or bad. Society should dictate what's good and bad. Not the media and not small groups of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's democracy. The people should get the society they want. They will decide if it's good or bad. Society should dictate what's good and bad. Not the media and not small groups of people.

So if someone voted to send you off to a camp, you'd walk off quite happily?

Grayson wrote: »
    So if someone voted to send you off to a camp, you'd walk off quite happily?

How did you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Are you serious?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Grayson wrote: »
    Water John wrote: »
    Certainly remove these statues to museums. They were erected to let black people, know their place, underfoot.

I wouldn't at all agree with removing plaques that tell the reader who was born here and why they are famous/well known. Totally different.

But they should also be in context.

"Joe Bloggs was born here. He fought a war to retain the institution of slavery"

It's still accurate.
    Or to defend his state from an invasion by Lincolns Army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

The U.S. has a constitution which structures its government in such a way as to limit what is called "the tyranny of the majority," of which your claim is a classic example.

Most mature western democracies have something similar of course. Otherwise a majority of the people in your town could decide they don't like you and could then simply vote to kill you and take your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What I dont understand is why do they want statues for these guys. They lost.

They are celebrating an alternative to the country they actually claim to love. These men actively took up arms against the US.

They talk about enemies of the US who hate freedom etc but that is exactly what they are celebrating.

Its very different from celebrating freedom fighters that died as they each played a part in advancing the cause.

Surely these guys should be seen as enemies of the US?

Leroy42 wrote: »

They are celebrating an alternative to the country they actually claim to love. These men actively took up arms against the US.

They talk about enemies of the US who hate freedom etc but that is exactly what they are celebrating.

Its very different from celebrating freedom fighters that died as they each played a part in advancing the cause.

A lot of southerners value race above their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Leroy42 wrote: »

It is to do with the fantasy the the evil government are out to get them and they can rebel at anytime. It is a paradox of sorts, they would claim to be the most American, support the constitution the most and love freedom, but when it doesn't suit the rest of their World view that all goes out the window. Even with Trump in office they grow more divided from the rest of the country, spoon fed Fox news and talk radio, they won't look outside the bubble and don't care what the rest of the civilized World thinks. In fact they wear it as a badge of honour not to be like the rest of the World as if is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Unionists of NI in relation to the way the UK actually runs is a similar counter view to the actual reality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

One has to remember that even though a lot of foreigners don't realize just how independent US states are today (think Ireland in the EU), in the mid 19th Century, they were viewed as even more so. Remember that the oath of Commissioning that officers swore before the civil war was to the States, not to the Federal Constitution or to the union or D.C. Even military units of both North and South were identified by State. Example, Chamberlain's 20th Maine held Little Round Top against Hood's 15th and 47th Alabama. Lincoln did not enter the war to free slaves, he entered it to ensure the primacy of the Union. After all, if a State could secede at will, maybe a county could secede from a State, or a city from a county, or maybe a neighborhood or house from a city. He believed that this would lead to anarchy, people declaring independence every time there was a disagreement.

So to Lee, for example. "If Virginia stands by the old Union, so will I. But if she secedes (though I do not believe in secession as a constitutional right, nor that there is sufficient cause for revolution), then I will follow my native State with my sword, and, if need be, with my life."

They were sons of their States, devoted to them. No less loyal to Virginia or Georgia than a British soldier would be to the UK in the event that the EU ruled that they would not permit Brexit. As such, it is not unreasonable for a State to want to honor its dedicated warriors. This doesn't negate the arguments against the monuments given the trigger issue of slavery, but is an argument in favor of at least some. It is for this reason that the US Army names a lot of its bases after Confederate officers. The policy is to name them after local men, and down South, you have folks like Lee or Hood: Great officers from those Sates who did what they saw as their loyal patriotic duty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

This double-post problem on mobile is annoying.

The south started the conflict. They attacked the Union army.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

which answers nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

Please do not use the $1,$20,$50, or the $100 bills as they have pictures of former slaves owners. Send them all to ME and I will dispose of them properly. Don't throw them away as they need to be disposed of properly and I'm certified to do so.
    If you have misplaced my address, let me know.
    Regards

flutered wrote: »
    which answers nothing

It does undermine the oddly pervasive idea that the south was solely fighting a defensive war.

Academic wrote: »
    Not really. Federal law still trumps state law in most cases; the Supreme Court trumps state courts; etc.

And European Law trumps National Laws but they are still independent states

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

They wouldn't get out of Southern territory. Lincoln got what he wanted.

Reconstruction wasn't nearly hard enough on the southern slaveholders. They successfully stripped blacks of their new rights for nearly a century and their descendants are still in denial about their region's rotten history.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Reconstruction wasn't nearly hard enough on the southern slaveholders. They successfully stripped blacks of their new rights for nearly a century and their descendants are still in denial about their region's rotten history.

People who really want to learn about the complexities of the Reconstruction period will ultimately need to read Eric Foner’s Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877. Be sure to get the 2014 updated edition. At almost 700 pages, it exhaustively lays out in great detail pretty much everything that’s known, and is universally regarded as the definitive source. Published by Harper Perennial.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They have one president and one football team and that's all that counts. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They have one president and one football team and that's all that counts. Sorry.

What're you on about, they have 32 football teams.

"Of all the state governments that published “declarations of the causes of secession” like these (some published shorter “ordinances of secession”), none mentioned the ostensible injustices of America’s tariff system. None complained of high taxes, or even states’ rights in a general sense. All, however, passionately pontificated on the necessity of preserving an institution of slavery; and that no such preservation could be maintained within the Union as it was then organized. Ironically, secession, and the creation of a Confederacy was the only conceivable way of maintaining the status quo."

https://qz.com/378533/for-the-last-time-the-american-civil-war-was-not-about-states-rights/

We only have one golf team :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

That is pea-brained bull ****. Democracy is NOT merely about the dictatorship of the majority. It is about much more than that. It is government by the majority for a limited period of time and within the boundaries of the law, which are themselves USUALLY established by a written constitution.
    Certainly this is the case in the US and Ireland, and most European republics.
    Nearly all countries have a set of fundamental rights that cannot be infringed by some jerk just because he won an election.
    If you said that in the US, they'd run you out of town for being "un American"!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's the fundamental error or mistaken choice Trump made. not wanting or understanding his role as POTUS was for all the people, not just those who elected him.

I just read that ESPN, have pulled a reporter named Robert Lee, from reporting a game, in case his name offended anyone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/business/media/robert-lee-university-virginia-charlottesville.html

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/23/media/espn-robert-lee-uva-game/index.html

This is crazy, beyond belief. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Jake1 wrote: »
    I just read that ESPN, have pulled a reporter named Robert Lee, from reporting a game, in case his name offended anyone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/business/media/robert-lee-university-virginia-charlottesville.html

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/23/media/espn-robert-lee-uva-game/index.html

This is crazy, beyond belief. :(

Wonder is it just a completely moronic move by a failing company or publicity stunt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

timthumbni wrote: »
    Context is everything with flags. I grew up hating the Irish flag because the only time I saw it was on Ira terrorists coffins.

Now I accept that it's simply the Irish flag. I still dislike it when it's used in a republican rally for example but know how to differentiate the two.

The irony is that the flag was created (replacing the green harp flag) as a gesture of goodwill between Ireland and Britain - white (representing peace) in between green and orange. That idea is lost on both those that irrationally love or hate the flag based on their own prejudices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement