Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate Flag

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Guill wrote: »
    Suthern fry chick, like ma Pappy used to make.

That southern fry chick sure do be tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

It is definitely a stereotype with a strong element of truth to it and that is due to its history. But, yes, it is certainly popular within my family and those that I know. You can go to just about any Black family reunion or event, and you will have Fried Chicken as an option.

LOL, my dad's family is black and from the south and my mom's family is of Irish descent...guess which family reunion people brought buckets of fried chicken to? :pac:

Spoiler:
    My mom's side of course. The other side prefers BBQ pork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

LOL, my dad's family is black and from the south and my mom's family is of Irish descent...guess which family reunion people brought buckets of fried chicken to? :pac:

Spoiler:

That's cause chicken is fancy to the Irish. In the auld sod, shure doesn't every house and holding have a pig in the corner of the room, beside the Skybox?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Well put it this way. It would be the equivalent of you walking into a bar in Boston and finding it decorated with Unionist banners, and banners proclaiming the superiority of protestants.

Would you feel comfortable walking up to the bar with a King Billy Forever banner in front of you?

Possibly. Maybe your thirst trumps such triviality. But one can put that kind of thing aside right?
    No it fuccking isn't
    What the fuuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Spoiler:

Who had the watermelon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Spoiler:

Was at a barbie yesterday. The usual plus Pulled Pork, Potato Salad, Coleslaw and lots of locally grown Watermelon (New Hampshire Sugar Babies). Yum Yum :) 102*F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible; and when you strike and overcome him, never let up in the pursuit so long as your men have strength to follow; for an army routed, if hotly pursued, becomes panic-stricken, and can then be destroyed by half their number - General Stonewall Jackson.
    Ally McCoist of "the Rangers" said those exact words when he took over "the rangers".:P."Oh the rangers are sheidt"-(to the tune of Oh the bluebells are blue.)You know the song Keith.Sing along....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

The confederate flag isn't offensive in and of itself, but it's certainly a symbol often associated with white supremacists. In the context of a friend chicken eatery in Athlone I would just be... confused, and I would probably ask "what's with the flag?!". You can argue about how it shouldn't be offensive, but I think it's something you have to accept it open to interpretation of being a racist marker. So yeah I'd be a little put off by it actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You aren't the first to start one of these threads OP

People see these flags around and try to check opinions.

But I never read these threads from Cork GAA supporters who use the flag

And some try to take offence to issues that happened two centuries ago in another continent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

German fried chicken just has a picture of chicken on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

At 3am I wouldn't care if there was a picture of the Ku Klux Klan on the poxy snackbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Balfie wrote: »
    sure they are all hill billys down there anyways..

Wonder if Hill Billy's chicken use those boxes. That'd be some double whammy.

Well, the ironic thing is that "Hill Billy" in and of itself is a 'racist' term used against individuals from the hills and mountains of the Appalachia and Ozark regions. It was a derogatory term used against the Irish and Scottish descendants living in those hills. People are still sensitive towards that term in West Virginia, Missouri, and Kentucky.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gyalist wrote: »
    I found the whole thing incongruous, especially the fact that they were also playing country music.

Where do you think that ****e came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Wonder would some people from the states find this offensive here?

A black american would find it offensive.

A white racist american would love it.

A white american would be wtf?? But probably not offended.

A white southern american would be wtf?? But probably like it.

Someone outside the USA would probably think it was the paint job on the car in dukes of hazard. Or maybe something to do with c&w music. Or the logo of a chicken joint. Nothing more.

Someone from Cork would love it.

Is that all?

Oh yeah, wtf were they thinking in Cork?? I mean why not come up with your own flag instead of taking somewhere elses?

Is that all?

Oh yeah, wtf were they thinking in Cork?? I mean why not come up with your own flag instead of taking somewhere elses?

Which one do you mean? A Confederate flag or one showing Fried Chicken? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Those boxes are generic type used by a lot of chippers - probably just the cheapest.

I think the place is the American Fry (Pitstop chipper) in Athlone that people are mentioning...it's run by Chinese people these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭Goose81

A black american would find it offensive.

A white racist american would love it.

A white american would be wtf?? But probably not offended.

A white southern american would be wtf?? But probably like it.

Someone outside the USA would probably think it was the paint job on the car in dukes of hazard. Or maybe something to do with c&w music. Or the logo of a chicken joint. Nothing more.

Is that all?

Southern Americans would see it as a proud flag that makes them different from the rest of the US, you cant categorize them all as rascist.

They are for the most part culturally very different from the rest of the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

pawrick wrote: »
    Those boxes are generic type used by a lot of chippers - probably just the cheapest.

I think the place is the American Fry (Pitstop chipper) in Athlone that people are mentioning...it's run by Chinese people these days.

I seen it in Mario's in Arcadia, Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I don't think that it is only chicken that the Deep South Deep Fries!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6_CYtRUwe0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Goose81 wrote: »
    Southern Americans would see it as a proud flag that makes them different from the rest of the US, you cant categorize them all as rascist.

The south will rise again. No doubt about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Goose81 wrote: »

Not all Southerners think that way. For many, it's a symbol of a backwards, racist, violent history. And for some, that's exactly why they raise that particular flag.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    The south will rise again. No doubt about that.
    :rolleyes:

pawrick wrote: »

OMG! I hope the sophisticated poster with sweet homely aunt doesn't stop by then :D. But she could change her opener to, "You're not from around these parts, sure y'aren't?" "Ouch! Stop that kickin' under the table, will you now!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Not all Southerners think that way. For many, it's a symbol of a backwards, racist, violent history. And for some, that's exactly why they raise that particular flag.

Thank you!

This is not a symbol of the South, it's a symbol of either misguided people clinging to some kind of pride-related mythology, or flat-out traitors who still believe in white supremacy.

And for anyone who might be falling for the revisionist history: http://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/five-myths-about-why-the-south-seceded/2011/01/03/ABHr6jD_story.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Thank you!

This is not a symbol of the South, it's a symbol of either misguided people clinging to some kind of pride-related mythology, or flat-out traitors who still believe in white supremacy.

And for anyone who might be falling for the revisionist history: http://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/five-myths-about-why-the-south-seceded/2011/01/03/ABHr6jD_story.html
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://cwmemory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/black-confederates.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cwmemory.com/2011/02/08/whats-wrong-with-the-black-confederate-debate/&h=617&w=720&sz=130&tbnid=QdM9uY8oYNaSlM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=105&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dblack%2Bconfederates%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=black+confederates&docid=_eoIL-KccStncM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=m6UtTpPxOYK6hAe568GqCw&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQ9QEwAw&dur=450

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=black+confederates&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1281&bih=809&tbm=isch&tbnid=gtgmSGlpGtLWKM:&imgrefurl=http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php%253F169524-The-American-Civil-War-Black-Confederates&docid=AsYs8iV_uCmyYM&w=280&h=341&ei=uKUtTuSjBoaxhQfZosWqCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=571&vpy=408&dur=357&hovh=248&hovw=203&tx=119&ty=149&page=1&tbnh=167&tbnw=134&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:0

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=Black+confederates+book&um=1&hl=en&biw=1281&bih=809&tbm=isch&tbnid=W9nb-MpKxYCO6M:&imgrefurl=http://www.blackconfederatesoldiers.com/reference_books_42.html&docid=gbKT2FzQ8Nm_YM&w=315&h=475&ei=56YtTpWbCsbRhAeVs7yqCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=587&vpy=62&dur=520&hovh=276&hovw=183&tx=102&ty=129&page=1&tbnh=157&tbnw=116&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0

Read that book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The confederate flag like many other symbols didnt necessarily start out as a symbol of ignorance and racisim but was used as such a symbol in the following years. Supporters of the flag have used the fact that it represented the south to ignore the fact that less educated groups (I am a firm beleiver that the enemy of bigotry is education) used it to symbolise their own bigoted agenda. The flag has also been used by american unionists (those of british ancestry who feel a strong conection with britian) for some bizarre reason. There is also a movement of (more like a bowel movement to be honest ) in america that claims the kkk originally was a nice organisation that helped black people
    If you had ever look into the history of the Ku Klux Klan you would know that the KKK was not racist when it formed. The original Klan was merely a fraternal club, mostly made up of christians, freemasons and confederate veterans. It never began as racist organization, infact the Klan helped Black people.

Thats from the same site that claims the confederate flag was never racist. The same american unionist who told me all this garbage originally and mainted the kkk werent bigots refers to the catholic population of ireland as "taigs". These people are to be ignored at all costs their simply blighted with a self imposed lunacy.

I've been to the birthplace of the Klan, out in the backwoods of TN. It began as an organization for Civil War veterans to get together to impede the progress of the Reconstruction Period. In TN, specifically, there was a large amount of Blacks being voted into the legislature and the Klan went out to intimidate the populace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I've been to the birthplace of the Klan, out in the backwoods of TN. It began as an organization for Civil War veterans to get together to impede the progress of the Reconstruction Period. In TN, specifically, there was a large amount of Blacks being voted into the legislature and the Klan went out to intimidate the populace.

Nice people eh. Modern members of the knights party (or whatever its called) defended that by stating it wasnt the fact that people were black but they had the wrong politics.

Advertisement