Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate Flag

Options
  • 22-07-2011 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Seen this is a chipper in Athlone. Wonder would some people from the states find this offensive here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

sure they are all hill billys down there anyways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Why would people from the states be in a chipper in Athlone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Bet their food is pretty offensive too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Hmm. Fried chicken + the flag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Superbus wrote: »
    Why would people from the states be in a chipper in Athlone?

Well if people from states are visiting/living in Athlone, there is as good a chance as any that they will be eating in a chipper in Athlone, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I live in the US but I'm not an american.

Would they find it offensive? It depends on the context. If its just part of an americana type scheme I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Suthern fry chick, like ma Pappy used to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Hardly considering it's not even drawn correctly (it doesn't have the white piping between the red and blue)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Southern fried chicken, the flag is a symbol for southern America. /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

The South shall boogie again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

Seen this is a chipper in Athlone. Wonder would some people from the states find this offensive here?

Is this a joke op because if not then the idea that people would be offended by this is political correctness gone mad.

joshrogan wrote: »

A pre-civil war symbol from the slave owning south.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is this a joke op because if not then the idea that people would be offended by this is political correctness gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

back to marios!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I'm hungry!

Well put it this way. It would be the equivalent of you walking into a bar in Boston and finding it decorated with Unionist banners, and banners proclaiming the superiority of protestants.

Would you feel comfortable walking up to the bar with a King Billy Forever banner in front of you?

Possibly. Maybe your thirst trumps such triviality. But one can put that kind of thing aside right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Well put it this way. It would be the equivalent of you walking into a bar in Boston and finding it decorated with Unionist banners, and banners proclaiming the superiority of protestants.

Would you feel comfortable walking up to the bar with a King Billy Forever banner in front of you?

Possibly. Maybe your thirst trumps such triviality. But one can put that kind of thing aside right?

If they were serving unionist food then no, but its not the equivalent at all though is it? There is nothing decorated with superiority of anyone, its a chicken box FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

People drive around with it on their trucks over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

if they find it offensive tell them to feck off because their PC pricks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RichieC wrote: »
    Its their national backdrop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Well,Rangers fans get very offended when Celtic fans wave tricolours.Then again, I suppose theyre permanently raging at something or the other.(Once its Irish or Catholic, but especially both);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Whoops... wrong thread...Howd that happen.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Well,Rangers fans get very offended when Celtic fans wave tricolours.Then again, I suppose theyre permanently raging at something or the other.(Once its Irish or Catholic, but especially both);)

I'm Irish (Catholic descent) and I find Celtic fans waving Irish flags fairly annoying too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

the question is, would a black americian find it offensive?

im sure there'd be some conflicted feelings going on anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

And cars.:D

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/cars/dodge/527646.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

As if they'd allow any low down Yankee thrash in the front door.

If any yankee takes offence they can have a pistol dual in the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

If they can accept the flag of the United States, I'm sure that if they were being morally consistent on the issue of flags they can have few problems with the Confederate flag.

It's not like the ineffably barbarous massacres of the native Americans in the late 19th century were not done under the United States flag, or that the internment of almost 300,000 people in concentration camps in the Philippines was not done under the same flag. This list could go on, but I think the point is made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

joshrogan wrote: »

Em, for a certain segment of southern America.
    People Rednecks and hillbillies drive around with it on their trucks over there.

FYP.
    Dionysus wrote: »
    If they can accept the flag of the United States, I'm sure that if they were being morally consistent on the issue of flags they can have few problems with the Confederate flag.

It's not like the ineffably barbarous massacres of the native Americans in the late 19th century were not done under the United States flag, or that the internment of almost 300,000 people in concentration camps in the Philippines was not done under the same flag. This list could go on, but I think the point is made.

The Confederate Flag began as a symbol of treason and evolved as a symbol of defiance of the federal government's attempts to impose civil rights laws on the region. So it is consistent to have problems with the confederate flag and your point isn't made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

the question is, would a black americian find it offensive?

im sure there'd be some conflicted feelings going on anyway...

Speaking as a member of the tribe, I'd be more confused by it than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I'm Irish (Catholic descent) and I find Celtic fans waving Irish flags fairly annoying too.

That represents a failure of the British state to stand up to Protestant dominance and create a more inclusive society in that part of their state. Had the political class the courage to tackle that earlier this issue would not exist today. Simple as.

PS: I agree with you in a sense: I find if these so-called Irish in Scotland were really Irish they wouldn't be well, how do I put it, supporting the garrison game of all games. Likewise for the so-called Irish republicans in Ireland. What sort of Irish "freedom" do these people want? Its clearly not cultural. Not a popular view in Afterhours but hey, are we really here to be thanks whores? :D

Advertisement