Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate Flag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i hope more people bring them to cork games now after this embarrassing mission by a few people with no lives to get them banned from games. talk about a nanny state.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ush1 wrote: »
    Except the south was a national flag...

The Southern Cross, Dixie Flag, or Rebel Flag as we know it today was never used to represent the Confederate States. It was flown as a battle-flag by the army of Northern Virginia during the civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I always think anyone flying a Palestinian flag or Israeli flag outside of Palestinian Israeli contexts is a fúckin idiot.
    Seriously this is the battle you want to pick a side on!

Similarly I think any GAA fan flying a flag that has serious racist connotations is also a fúckin dolt.

Connotations aren't denotations.
    The connotation on the terraces of a GAA ground by supporters of a team wearing red whose nickname is The Rebels for you is 'racism' apparently. I find that odd myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

jimgoose wrote: »
    The Southern Cross, Dixie Flag, or Rebel Flag as we know it today was never used to represent the Confederate States. It was flown as a battle-flag by the army of Northern Virginia during the civil war.

Wikipedia says otherwise:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

"Use National flag "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I don't know why anyone would bring a flag of a group of people who lost a civil war. Unless there intent is to let everyone know there losers, in which case they provide a vital service for the rest of us, that they already know there losers ;).

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone would bring a flag of a group of people who lost a civil war. Unless there intent is to let everyone know there losers, in which case they provide a vital service for the rest of us, that they already know there losers ;).

Yankees, of course, are also well-reknowned for the sonic boom heard as The Point goes over their heads at Mach 2. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

Why would I be offended by an aesthetically pleasing flag from the American civil war?

No it doesn't. What it says is the Northern Virginia battle-flag was used in the top-left canton of the CSA flag between 1863 and 1865, the rest of the flag being white.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

topper75 wrote: »
    Connotations aren't denotations.
    The connotation on the terraces of a GAA ground by supporters of a team wearing red whose nickname is The Rebels for you is 'racism' apparently. I find that odd myself.

Idiot brings racist flag, I assume racist idiot! Don't see whats odd about that.

Similarly I see sectarian flag(Israel/Palestine flegs outside normal national usage) I assume sectarian idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,042 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So no more dukes of hazard :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Same goes for Soviet flags

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Have they stopped bringing the Rising Sun Flag ?

BTW that flag is still used, even by US forces in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

jmayo wrote: »
    Have they stopped bringing the Rising Sun Flag ?

Presumably harking back to the Japanese heritage of Country Cork.

People can wave any damn flag they like, if they can endure the withering stares.

Presumably harking back to the Japanese heritage of Country Cork...

Umm, or maybe harking back to the fact that it's the same colour as Cork GAA, and symbolizes for many stoic, ferocious resistance in the face of an impossible opponent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You'll get non GAA, non Cork people telling GAA Cork people what they can and can't do, and these fans should rightly tell them to get f**ked.

Re-edited for the PC age where the General Lee has a multi cultural rainbow flag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

wes wrote: »
    Always gives me a laugh when I see an American with this flag on their t-shirt saying "Hillary lost, get over it!" Like, how long ago was that war, lads? Maybe you could do a bit of getting over it yourself.

kylith wrote: »
    Always gives me a laugh when I see an American with this flag on their t-shirt saying "Hillary lost, get over it!" Like, how long ago was that war, lads? Maybe you could do a bit of getting over it yourself.

It's funny when Europeans claim Americans are ignorant about the world.

seachto7 wrote: »
    You'll get non GAA, non Cork people telling GAA Cork people what they can and can't do, and these fans should rightly tell them to get f**ked.
    Ravble rabble! How dare anyone tell anyone what to do.

I'm not offended by the flag but Jesus Christ it has nothing to do with Cork and is just contrarianism flying it. And a display of ignorance. One might say it'd be fairly typical of the type of people who come from Cork to have a victim complex and be tipping to one side due to the size of the chip on their shoulder, but I couldn't possibly comment.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm heading off to fly some SS, Orange Order and Union Jack flags and anyone who has a problem can shut up. Actually no, I'm not from Cork nor a member of the Orange Order so I shan't be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

never understood why some people are so keen to wave a symbol of failure.

• Advertisement

The only good confederate flag is one that has been set on fire. Fire which can be used for warmth, when its cold :P.

Common identity, heritage and history. You could say the Irish Tricoulor is a symbol of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    Re-edited for the PC age where the General Lee has a multi cultural rainbow flag :)

As long a daisy is not covered up I don't mind ;)

sjb25 wrote: »
    As long a daisy is not covered up I don't mind ;)

The new Daisy will be a handicapped Muslim transgender ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

the question is, would a black americian find it offensive?

im sure there'd be some conflicted feelings going on anyway...

I imagine like most people they don't care much what is on the box of chicken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    Common identity, heritage and history. You could say the Irish Tricoulor is a symbol of failure.

hmm, a quick check of who currently rules this country says otherwise. Besides the confederate flag represents failure on many levels not just militarily.

I think the fans of any county that is playing Cork, should bring the Star Wars rebel flag, to take the pi$$ out of the "rebels".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Except the south was a national flag and what do you think the British empire thought of non whites?
    What did or does the british flag say about slaves and non-whites?

Nothing.

The only thing that set the confederates apart from the other states was their anti-abolition status. That's what the flag stood for.

The only thing that sets Britain aside from other countries is geography. Or if you want to be pedantic, fealty to the throne. Therefore that's what the british flag stands for.

There are people out there eternally offended. People in Ireland getting worked up about the confederate flag clearly have little to be worrying about. Likewise people getting worked up about a british band flying a british flag clearly need to get a hobby.

On the flipside it says a lot about the Irish people who would fly the confederate flag in a positive context. They were racist hicks who got their arses handed to them in a civil war. Why you would place yourself under that flag is beyond me, unless you're just a moron.

But distance changes persective. In Asia, Hitler and the Nazi symbol are more associated with strength and authority than genocide and hatred, and will appear on clothing without a hint of irony.

I'm sure there are Chinese people aghast at Chairman Mao's face appearing jovially on posters and clothing in Ireland. And plenty of South Americans bewildered at the proliferation of Che as the image of a honourable revolutionary.

Advertisement